• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking here since a guy from another forum I posted at and used to play with some on live mentioned it once way back in 06 or 07. His username was prvt pegleg if any of you old timers remember him.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Halo 3 OT had 20991 posts before the game even came out.

Also, reading that thread reminds me how much I miss good maps in Halo. Hopefully H4 puts Reach to shame.

Edit : And I fucking swear, every time a GAF member sees a girl they post about it.

789shadow

Banned
Camo being in was a mistake on my part, haha. Uploaded the wrong gametype. It's fixed though.
Fine, tournament resumes.

Also, do you jerks want to do different gametypes/maps for each round? I think mixing it up could be cool.
Sword Base KoTH with AR starts.

Best. Tourney. Ever.

GhaleonEB

I get that. I simply think experiencing the rest of GAF will help people understand how to post. Hell, I was scared to death to post in here even 6 months after being approved, because I knew how you guys functioned. It took time, and it definitely took (me at least) a little while to grasp how to slip into a group like this. I could use many others of the Juniors as great examples too, I mean look at Zoso and even sltPoison. Both immediately came across the right way, without knowing either of them ahead of time. It's all about perception.

Speaking of perception, I want to clarify the reasoning behind my post. It was two-fold, the first part being because I love GAF and I'm glad to see new members join (and the subsequent ban wave is always awesome). The other is due to Optiate's warning from the OP. My emphasis added:

Cliques. We keep track of those and attempt to prevent their solidification. GAF is not intended to be like reddit with a series of subforums that have nothing to do with one another and, perhaps, have passionate distaste for one another; we deliberately try to cultivate a single community where anyone can talk to anyone else in a reasonable, friendly manner. Some of these cliques have gotten out of hand -- exhibiting extreme hostility to the rest of GAF and seeing themselves as a separate forum inside the forum, often feeling the general NeoGAF rules should not apply to them -- and some of those cliques have been forcefully dispersed.

I'm pretty sure we're one of the cliques on notice here. HaloGAF is somewhat insular, full of (very) regulars. We can - and have, historically - been less than welcoming to new members. I think we should resist expressing any sentiment about when people should dive into the Halo threads, because any behavior that looks like we're defending the HaloGAF hive is a sure fire way to end this whole Halo community thing as a going concern.

With that said, this part of your post is I think exactly the kind of stuff that will get HaloGAF toasted:

I think the root of this problem is many of you guys got approved and instantly started posting in an established community. You didn't take any time to get your feet wet on NeoGAF, and it also seems like you aren't familiar with the flow within HaloGAF.

I realize what I'm talking about may not be the intent behind your post. But look at Opiate's warning and your phrasing of "an established community". We are on GAF. Let's not draw a line between us and the rest of GAf. I think we should be careful not to seem like we're in any way deflecting new folks from joining the discussion. Both because we should welcome everyone, and because even the perception of such a notion might get this lovely string of Halo community threads zorched for good.

Rev3rb

The guns dominate Halo 4 gameplay. Kills were FAST. I mean like kids were sprinting towards me with the swords and I could take them out with the BR before they got to me. That's unthinkable in Reach. Felt more like H2 than any other Halo.

Played for about 3 hours on and off. The first map I played was Adrift, 8 player Regicide. It was interesting to to always know where the guy in first place was. It was fun when I was king actually. You get quite a rush when you know that EVERYONE is coming towards you at that very instant. Quite a "back to the wall" feeling. It's a good fun gametype. It's still essentially FFA though, the gimmick doesn't destroy the game.

Guns
BR - feels a little hard to control at first, this thing will take a while to master. But when it works, its glorious.
Carbine - much more precise than the halo 3 version, something I hated about the H3 version was that its spread was huuuge. This time it's got Minimal spread. fun to shoot
DMR - the thing is a beast at long range. It will lose to a BR close up though.
Scattershot - felt like a silenced weapon from battlefield. fun to get kills with. big spread so its only worthwhile close up.
AR - the thing is a beast at close range.
magnum - straight up garbage. good for single headshots I guess.

Armor Abilities's - they didn't dominate gameplay like Reach's AA's do.
hardlight shield seemed pointless. Some guys used it against me and I beat them every time. not to mention they are very vulnerable.
jump thruster - It doesn't seem to go very far or fast at all.
pro vision - I probably used it about once every 5 respawns. it's good to see if some guy is camping with a sword around the corner or if he's sprinting away to teammates. Didn't feel very OP at all. It's essentially babbys first radar.

Game is good. My first impressions with Reach were "Grenades suck, bloom sucks, AA's are overpowered." Impressions with 4 were, "gunplay is good, I want more." My friend rev3rb, who longs for the days of H2 and hates reach with a passion, couldn't get enough. He never liked the Reach Beta and now he has high talk of h4.

I totally destroyed the Suddoth twins with the BR. It is glorious.

Oozer3993

It is a big event.

In my pants.

OBVIOUS JUVENILE JOKE+10​

PDwwG.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
It would be nice to have the option to do DLC if everyone has it.

If we happen to get to a round where all teams have DLC, I'll do it. Not sure how likely that'd be though.

Any map suggestions? I would say we do an MLG round after this one, but that may throw off a lot of people, and would instantly turn yours, Risen's, and CyReN's team into completely unstoppable machines.

GhaleonEB

Ghaleon very casually ignored my post about him. Gross.

This one?

A vote for Ram is a vote for tits.

Also, Ghaleon hops on, gets invite, doesn't play. Life isn't worth living anymore.

I hopped on, and got your invite just as a game of Limited started. My buddy quit, so I finished it up, then hopped straight on to make that post, which was brewing while I played.

I'm still on, and between games. I'm queued to join. Okay, joined. Let's do this. :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood
Read a book mothafuckah.
(Today, 11:34 PM)

edit: you fuckin kidding me, shadow
I make the penis jokes around here
You could say he's a dick for jacking your joke, when you were at the tip of your seat with your back fully erect as you wrote that one up. I think it's cause he comes to this thread often which is why he beat you before you came.

FPS Fan

Neo Member
Not so much that, but that the bullets are moving the hog that much. After 2 games with this horrible mechanic, please stop.

I agree with you on needing to have the hog control better while being hit by bullets. No need for this thing to start barrel rolling at the sight of a few bullets.

I can't tell after he gets hit by the first grenade, if the rolling starts because he hits the ground with a bumper or because of the BR shots, but after the second grenade, it looks like the front gets forced down to the ground because of a few shots. The warthog needs to have a semblance of stability, otherwise it's just a deathtrap, as I know far too well from Reach BTB.

Vire

No Sotaro, no go.

That man is a boss. Wish he was there, but I understand he's working hard on the actual game.

I'm interested in this Brian Reed fellow. I'm still a little skeptical about the story, so I want hear his thoughts. Handing off the Halo story to a comic book writer isn't an especially comforting thought.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I realize what I'm talking about may not be the intent behind your post. But look at Opiate's warning and your phrasing of "an established community". We are on GAF. Let's not draw a line between us and the rest of GAf. I think we should be careful not to seem like we're in any way deflecting new folks from joining the discussion. Both because we should welcome everyone, and because even the perception of such a notion might get this lovely string of Halo community threads zorched for good.

Gahhh, but this is the point I'm making too. NeoGAF is NOT like other forums, especially Waypoint or other various Halo fansites. A lot of the new posters are coming to the site posting here with no idea how to conduct themselves, they are in the habit of posting as they would anywhere else.

There simply needs to be a transition. And as I said, I think spreading your posts around and getting a feel for what works and what doesn't, THEN introduce yourself to a subcommunity is a great way to be a good poster.

I'm a little frustrated because I am sharing your same point of view, but I think you're taking my posts out of context.

If we happen to get to a round where all teams have DLC, I'll do it. Not sure how likely that'd be though.

Any map suggestions? I would say we do an MLG round after this one, but that may throw off a lot of people, and would instantly turn yours, Risen's, and CyReN's team into completely unstoppable machines.

freddie-mercury-so-close-pose1.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Shake Appeal said:
I've decided I hate Epitaph and even Construct more than Isolation.

The real problem with Isolation is its convex shape: like Vociferous said, the compartmentalisation of areas in Halo 3, and the restriction on sight lines, are what people are subconsciously balking at. When you're outside on Isolation you are constantly looking up a hill. Everything washes down the sides and into the corners, and everywhere your vision is cluttered and uncomfortable. Without being conscious of it, you are always fighting your point of view to be able to see what is happening, and on the conscious level that registers as annoyance and frustration, especially when the spawn points for Slayer games are so wacky that ambushes are unavoidable at times. Narrows suffers from a similar thing to a lesser extent, but at least most of the time you are headed downhill into one or other of the 'bases'. Isolation lacks that focus.

Epitaph is a messy, constricted set of messy, constricted areas that encourage camping: I feel like a rat trapped in a warren of no-fun on that map. The experience feels disparate, and individual: you don't have an instant sense of the state of team play the way you would at all times on Midship, or Lockout, or even The Pit. Construct strikes me as being a great small map that was then inflated to bizarre proportions, so you have huge, circling ramps that take too much time to be feasible in hectic Slayer matches, and no less than three lifts that encourage camping and a downsizing of the play area. About 70% of that map goes unused 90% of the time: fights on the lower level are a rarity, and usually consist only of the tail ends of conflicts that began above. Result: close-range bloodbath around the lifts, and everyone else scampering back to said bloodbath as soon as they respawn. If you compare it to Ivory Tower on Halo, there were so many more options available to the team besieging the upstairs on the former, including being able to whip grenades in there. Good luck using grenades effectively from the lower level of Construct short of popping them in the lifts, and everyone expects that. Except for sniper, Ivory Tower gave power weapons (sword, shotgun, rockets) to the team 'attacking' the summit. Construct gives you the splaser, and that's it, with no useful line of sight to the top (whereas in Ivory Tower you could see everything from the back garden, or even the bottom of the lift).

Now I understand there are a lot of players out there like Ghaleon who love large-scale vehicle madness, but I still think (and I'm sure the majority of people agree with me, especially at higher levels) that 4v4 or lower games, with BR starts, on small maps, are the core of Halo multiplayer. When you rule out maps like High Ground as being better suited to attack/defend objective gametypes (especially considering the beach spawns), you are left with almost no good small-scale Slayer maps: Guardian, Snowbound if the other team doesn't simply squat in the cave, Narrows, Foundry (although the default layout feels pretty basic/standard), and The Pit. I like Last Resort, Valhalla, and Standoff as 4v4 maps, but they don't cater to my tastes in quite the way I want.

Bungie need to stop listening to the clamouring for large-scale BTB maps. That demand has been met amply. Give us small, clever BR arenas, that encourage fluid team play, intelligent and skillful map control, and BR duels. Think Lockout, think Sanctuary, think Midship. Hopefully Ghost Town and 'Moonlight Sonata' deliver on this.

Hire Shake Appeal. I don't agree with everything he said, but he still has a well thought out analysis.

PS: I hope it's okay to quote stuff from the Halo 3 OT and talk about it here. It's fun to look back at this stuff.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I find some juniors (not anyone in this thread, or anyone in particular) to be annoying, but that's not because of their junior status at all. Some people just post pointless things without any contribution to the topic at hand (I will admit, I am guilty of this sometimes).

I will say that there is some unnecessary hostility towards any people who aren't considered "regulars" here, and there seems to be posters that consider HaloGAF as "independent" from NeoGAF. This definitely does not need to happen. We are a community that is part of a larger collective. However, I don't see it as a huge problem. The general consensus is that we are just part of NeoGAF.

I find some juniors (not anyone in this thread, or anyone in particular) to be annoying, but that's not because of their junior status at all. Some people just post pointless things without any contribution to the topic at hand (I will admit, I am guilty of this sometimes).

I will say that there is some unnecessary hostility towards any people who aren't considered "regulars" here, and there seems to be posters that consider HaloGAF as "independent" from NeoGAF. This definitely does not need to happen. We are a community that is part of a larger collective. However, I don't see it as a huge problem. The general consensus is that we are just part of NeoGAF.

Yep, the talking down to people who aren't regulars here is getting ridiculous.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hire Mr. Vociferous.

lol

Yep, the talking down to people who aren't regulars here is getting ridiculous.
HaloGAF has been like that for as long as I can remember. It took me a looooong time to feel welcome in the Halo threads (cue SensitiveGAF joke), especially a year after each title launched and the only people in the threads were HaloGAF regulars. Very few people are outright jerks, but there's a general atmosphere of exclusivity, I'd say. Some of that is natural to any community, but some of it is artificial and willfully perpetuated.

GhaleonEB

Not sure what happened. There. I got the host migration screen for a minute solid, then "game over", I die, and get the full game complete credit screen with payout. The game is still going, though.

Gahhh, but this is the point I'm making too. NeoGAF is NOT like other forums, especially Waypoint or other various Halo fansites. A lot of the new posters are coming to the site posting here with no idea how to conduct themselves, they are in the habit of posting as they would anywhere else.

There simply needs to be a transition. And as I said, I think spreading your posts around and getting a feel for what works and what doesn't, THEN introduce yourself to a subcommunity is a great way to be a good poster.

I'm a little frustrated because I am sharing your same point of view, but I think you're taking my posts out of context.

I saw what I think was some defensive posting about HaloGAF, which is what I was responding to. I still can't figure out, re-reading your posts, how I could be taking them out of context, but I'm glad we're on the same page. I still don't think that telling new members to explore the site before posting in a community thread is a good idea, in any context. I'm just a wee paranoid since we're on notice. :lol

Just catching up on all the latest here are my thoughts:

Love the Forge stuff, really the magnet/lock should have always been there. Sad there is no "undo"

Everything is still Grey? Cmon. Let us color the pieces. I mean its on purpose now.

Speaking of Grey, the 3 maps looks very grey. Gone are all the bright colors from Halo past.

Is that a grenade warning in your hud? In Halo? Really?

The Jump looks "fixed" in some streams but look "Reach" heavy in others. If these are customs that would explain why but I want a proper jump.

Vehicles look heavy again. I miss the absolute vehicle chaos from Halo past.

Frankie plays Black Ops. That explains a lot.

Not sure what happened. There. I got the host migration screen for a minute solid, then "game over", I die, and get the full game complete credit screen with payout. The game is still going, though.
I've had that happen to where the game split into two games. One with the people who got booted and one with the original teams. Just a couple of weeks ago I was taken from BTB and placed in a 1v1 fight with someone, haha.

Tawpgun

I think BTB is where all my hopes and dreams of Halo 4 lie.

It was my favorite playlist in Halo 2 and 3.

Fucking hate it in Reach though. Reach, ironically, opened up the more competitive side in me because I was forced into playing 4 on 4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I think BTB is where all my hopes and dreams of Halo 4 lie.

It was my favorite playlist in Halo 2 and 3.

Fucking hate it in Reach though. Reach, ironically, opened up the more competitive side in me because I was forced into playing 4 on 4.
Reach BTB was playable...

Then they brought in Heavies.

Like seriously, wtf is this shit.

My score will be like 30

But I have 18 kills

Get this shit outta here.

out

out

Havok

Hire Shake Appeal. I don't agree with everything he said, but he still has a well thought out analysis.

PS: I hope it's okay to quote stuff from the Halo 3 OT and talk about it here. It's fun to look back at this stuff.
I feel so bad that he was looking forward to Moonlight Sonata for great BR play and teamwork, considering it turned out to be Blackout. Going back and reading all the stuff from back then is fascinating. I pulled up an old early 2008 BWU today that was talking very vaguely about a few maps that I think, unless I'm switching my BWUs around, were from the last round of Halo 3 DLC maps, which is especially crazy considering they didn't come out for over a year and a half after that. That's something that was definitely missing from the Reach postrelease cycle, we barely got any of the sneaky hints about upcoming content. I guess I can't really blame them, with there being so little of it and over half of it being tied to another retail product.

Can't believe he lumped Construct and Epitaph into the same category. :_\
Shake's a smart guy.

GhaleonEB

Reach BTB was playable...

Then they brought in Heavies.

Like seriously, wtf is this shit.

Score will be 30

But I have 18 kills

Get this shit outta here.

out

out

In hindsight, the scoring in Heavies is a bit like the points in Infinity Slayer, as you get bonus points for headshots. It sort of takes the same concepts and drops it into Reach Slayer. (I don't like it either, but that has more to do with Heavies being Heavies.)

Speaking of perception..

..I think we should be careful not to seem like we're in any way deflecting new folks from joining the discussion. Both because we should welcome everyone, and because even the perception of such a notion might get this lovely string of Halo community threads zorched for good.

You, Sir,
are the peanut butter to my jelly <3
are my hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom