• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a zoojoo

Banned
GAF white knights are like Hydra, strike one down and two more will take it's place.

The White Knight Rises......
TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARATASHI TASHI BASARA BASARATASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARATASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA

Trey

I will take frags every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

I don't mind the OT posts. None of the juniors bother me. Then again, I wasn't here for the golden age of HaloGAF.

Enfinit

The White Knight Rises......
TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARATASHI TASHI BASARA BASARATASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA TASHI TASHI BASARA BASARATASHI TASHI BASARA BASARA

FISH FISH POSSUM POSSUM FISH FISH POSSUM POSSUM

How about mixed company? That would be a tough one for me, because the frag grenades look too much like a couple of welded together bundt cake pans to safely keep near my constantly-baking grandmother. However, the writing on the plasma grenades reminds my mother too much of my brief stint as a Satan worshiper (One goat sacrifice, mom. Get over it.), so I can't very well keep those in the dining room centerpiece when she visits. I'm at a loss.

As long as nobody in your family has seen Se7en you should be good to go with the spike grenade.

Man, that sucks. Anyone know when he's back?

We lost him for a couple weeks, but it looks like his post turned things around as CNN is reporting that she will now be permitted to wear the head scarf.

RE: MLG--not going to that site. No longer a fan. Some other organization(s) should handle Pro Halo from now on.

Talents

Banned

x651

I actually lol'd.

Oh wow, the Halo thing on the MLG forum is already over 1800 votes.

I think I'm not going to play BTB in Reach anymore after last night. When our party grows to more than 5, we should just split into two parties from now on.

On a more positive note, Multi-Team is awesome.
TeamSlurpSlurp.png

TEAM SLURP SLURP!

Frankie bulletin this week? Playlist updates?

heckfu

Banned
Man, that sucks. Anyone know when he's back?

He needs to learn when to slow his roll. I understand he's passionate but he's gone after a lot of people with that attitude and a) it'll get you banned b) it shuts people down immediately from listening to what you have to say.

Jmte

Neo Member
Halo's MLG votes just surpassed 2000. Let's hope that if Halo wins the vote, it will have attracted enough attention to actually be meaningful.

Fracas

#fuckonami
He needs to learn when to slow his roll. I understand he's passionate but he's gone after a lot of people with that attitude and a) it'll get you banned b) it shuts people down immediately from listening to what you have to say.
I wasn't really commenting on the fairness of his ban, but yeah, I agree.

Although I've seen people not get banned for far worse than what he did. Then again, who am I to judge?

Halo's MLG votes just surpassed 2000. Let's hope that if Halo wins the vote, it will have attracted enough attention to actually be meaningful.

i doubt it will do anything useful. i would imagine mlg knows fans want halo, they just cant get sponsors, and not enough people watch.

it's a shame, but hopefully halo 4 will make some sort of comeback

kylej

Banned
I don't think it's an awareness thing. Hell, we know Sundance reads this very thread. MLG is no doubt very aware that Halo is an important part of their history and most likely will play a large part in the future success of their company, right now I'm sure it simply makes no business sense to host a Halo tournament. I think MLG has trapped itself in a corner, honestly. Running their style of tournaments has a huge amount of overhead - from renting out a convention center to streaming hundreds of matches to handing out prizes, it's daunting and probably not sustainable. Will be interesting to see what happens if (when) Starcraft 2 sees a dip in popularity.

Talents

Banned
I don't think it's an awareness thing. Hell, we know Sundance reads this very thread. MLG is no doubt very aware that Halo is an important part of their history and most likely will play a large part in the future success of their company, right now I'm sure it simply makes no business sense to host a Halo tournament. I think MLG has trapped itself in a corner, honestly. Running their style of tournaments has a huge amount of overhead - from renting out a convention center to streaming hundreds of matches to handing out prizes, it's daunting and probably not sustainable. Will be interesting to see what happens if (when) Starcraft 2 sees a dip in popularity.

Yet Sundance seems to ignore that fact. Wasn't there an interview a few weeks ago where Sundance was asked about the history of MLG and he completely ignored Halo until the interviewer asked him directly 'What about Halo?' and even then he spoke about it as little as possible.

FyreWulff

Iv never heard of this before, got an explanation or source?
How do GoD games work?
I know XBLA games are limited to 2GB but i do not know why.

I don't have an exact source offhand but it's a relatively well known limitation. Games on Demand games use a different subsystem. XBLA and content packages are still under the old system.

Same reason with the 16GB limit for USB drives, it's a limitation of how they set the 360 up.

lilty

If people keep supporting other smaller tournaments like the upcoming Chicago tournament maybe MLG will realize there is a market for Halo, even if it is smaller than the SC2/LoL scene. If Halo was making MLG money before, I'm sure it can do the same now, even if the profit margins are smaller than what SC2 is making.

daedalius

If people keep supporting other smaller tournaments like the upcoming Chicago tournament maybe MLG will realize there is a market for Halo, even if it is smaller than the SC2/LoL scene. If Halo was making MLG money before, I'm sure it can do the same now, even if the profit margins are smaller than what SC2 is making.

I'd rather the future of competitive Halo get away from MLG if possible.

Only reason MLG was king with Halo for so long was the fact they shut out every other group trying to run competitive Halo.

JHall

Halo has never made MLG a profit.

Risen

Well I voted for the Bolter too from Warhammer, I'm sure I'll be like the only one.

Was that available in the Demo? I remember a "sniper" type gun that was a one hit kill with head shots and a ton of fun to "quick-scope". I almost bought the game from that one gun because it was so satisfying.

I don't have an exact source offhand but it's a relatively well known limitation. Games on Demand games use a different subsystem. XBLA and content packages are still under the old system.

Same reason with the 16GB limit for USB drives, it's a limitation of how they set the 360 up.

Which has always made me wonder why we don't see more games that are to big to be arcade games released on GoD. We saw it with the Resident Evil HD games and Crysis but I can't think of any other games. The whole time Just Ad Water was bitching about the 2 gig limit for arcade games when making Stranger's Wrath HD I kept thinking "Why not make it a games on demand game?"

JHall

I'm sure it was paying the bills and all of the staff a wage. How would the league still be around otherwise?

Anakin has stated that MLG was paying out of pocket for a lot of the Halo tournaments. Even when they would sell out it still wouldn't even cover the Halo prize money, let alone the venue and other expenses.

FyreWulff

They're just going to keep leading people on by saying "we're trying", even though MS hands out broadcast license for their games like candy.

I'd rather the future of competitive Halo get away from MLG if possible.

Only reason MLG was king with Halo for so long was the fact they shut out every other group trying to run competitive Halo.

Yep and yep. See also: buying out vaguely competing Smash communities and then dropping the game.

Halo has never made MLG a profit.

MLG's books have been notoriously in the red, and this is not Halo's fault. Going around wasting money on exclusive licenses and buying out competitors is going to make you spend more money than you're bringing in. Now they're just trying to be the Arena Football League to Korea's NFL.

Which has always made me wonder why we don't see more games that are to big to be arcade games released on GoD. We saw it with the Resident Evil HD games and Crysis but I can't think of any other games. The whole time Just Ad Water was bitching about the 2 gig limit for arcade games when making Stranger's Wrath HD I kept thinking "Why not make it a games on demand game?"

Releasing on Games on Demand required you to ship at least 3 games on the 360 (might be a bit hazy on that one) and required you to actually release at retail first. The retail requirement they've slowly been relaxing, but only for big companies and the rare oddity like the one Japanese game you can buy in the US. Just Add Water wouldn't be big enough to get the retail exemption.

daedalius

Was that available in the Demo? I remember a "sniper" type gun that was a one hit kill with head shots and a ton of fun to "quick-scope". I almost bought the game from that one gun because it was so satisfying.

The bolter is the default assault rifle-ish gun, I listed it not necessarily because I specifically like how it is portrayed in Space Marine, but I like bolters in general as they appear aesthetically and work in tabletop games/etc.

The rifle you're talking about is the Stalker bolter, and yes its amazing. I use it in multiplayer all the time with the burst perk, which makes it into a mini-BR; actually its stronger than a BR because you can get a 2sk with it if you aim well enough. Shoots a 2 round hitscan burst, bloom resets almost instantly; exactly the way I wish bloom acted in Reach.

Popping ork heads with the stalker bolter is amazing.

Beckx

To be GoD, don't you have to have a retail release first? I don't think they allow direct to digital GoD. Probably part of their whole curation policy for digital, which needs an overhaul.

The size cap has been a running joke from the get go. Remember when it was something like 150MB? Every time a big enough release comes along, they up the size (like Castlevania SotN forcing the first increase).

Releasing on Games on Demand required you to ship at least 3 games on the 360 (might be a bit hazy on that one) and required you to actually release at retail first. The retail requirement they've slowly been relaxing, but only for big companies and the rare oddity like the one Japanese game you can buy in the US. Just Add Water wouldn't be big enough to get the retail exemption.

Interesting. I had forgotten about Cave, which is probably the best example of the bizarre quirks of the system: of all things to go into GoD, whyTF did they pick the creepy loli shooter? I assume to reward Cave for being a staunch supporter in Japan, but geez, why not a better / less creepy Cave shooter?

ArchedThunder said:
Crysis, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Code Veronic, DeathSmiles 2. None of these got retail releases on Xbox, at least in the states. 3 of them did in Japan.

Shows what I know. But I guess it's really more illustrative that the system today is working on exceptions. Like how Minecraft gets free patches. Unlike the old days when Castlevania prompted an increase in the XBLA file size, if Minecraft had required 2.5 gigs, I bet they'd have just given Minecraft a pass.

You'd think they would make an exception for an HD version of a game that was an Xbox exclusive.
Also that Japanese game is DeathSmiles 2, they released the original at retail in the states but for some reason only on GoD for the sequel.

To be GoD, don't you have to have a retail release first? I don't think they allow direct to digital GoD. Probably part of their whole curation policy for digital, which needs an overhaul.

The size cap has been a running joke from the get go. Remember when it was something like 150MB? Every time a big enough release comes along, they up the size (like Castlevania SotN forcing the first increase).

Crysis, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Code Veronic, DeathSmiles 2. None of these got retail releases on Xbox, at least in the states. 3 of them did in Japan.

wwm0nkey

You'd think they would make an exception for an HD version of a game that was an Xbox exclusive.
Also that Japanese game is DeathSmiles 2, they released the original at retail in the states but for some reason only on GoD for the sequel.

There is a rule if the game sells over 1 million copies it can go onto Games on Demand, Strangers Wrath just barley missed that mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom