• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Fuchsdh

No love for the modern street art movement?

edit: things like Reverse Graffiti http://inhabitat.com/reverse-graffiti-san-francisco/

not necessarily things like Shepard Fairey or Banksy (although they both have produced some interesting work)

There's not much new about street art, though. It's a variation on existing, primarily graphic, forms. Not saying it's bad, like anything it depends on the artist, but all the new stuff we've seen in the 20th century has just been bad to me in terms of a lot of design--I'd take the Chrysler Building over the identical glass-and-steel skyscrapers we get now.

Banksy is just a jerk, which seems to be a requirement for most artists these days, dunnit?

7000+ posts already lol
ibvuyWyPuHHrdq.gif

I lol'd. When I scrolled to that image, the nose twitches were exactly in sync with the song I was listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET-CltKvK6o (NSFW album art.)

It's the least I could do.

You sounded way more erudite than I imagined. 'Dat mustache.

Reach Spartans look terrible, is this real life?

Huh, really? I liked the proportions on the Reach Spartans, they looked more believable. The armor, body size, etc all seemed to make sense artistically. At the very least, Im not a huge fan of the barrel chested, skinny waist Spartan IVs.. they look athletic, but they are just a bit too exaggerated it seems.. Still not as bad as the Halo Wars CGI Spartans though.

Hah, thats pretty awesome...Pic for the lazy:

venergyhalo.jpg

Speaking of Halo 3's water, awesome lighting

fyresnorkel.jpg

fyre_fogofwar.jpg

watersnipe.jpg

The water discussion also reminded me of the green outline debug mode that Frankie discussed in the Halo 3 updates where he'd talk about walking around with it on, the suddenly stumbling upon a fully rendered river because the effect ignored the water.

I wish they'd make that an actual skull, I know they re-used it for the H3 sniper scope and various Reach weapon scopes and the vehicle viewscreens in H3 and Reach. But it'd be cool to have something 'trippy' as a skull or effect.
Man, Halo 3 had great water and lighting...everything else.. not so much. But somethings from Halo 3 still impress me.

I don't know about anywhere else in the uk, but the shops near me have these in stock, a tad bit early. Picked up 2.

I swear, if the US doesn't get Halo 4 Gamerfuel I will be sad.

Huh, really? I liked the proportions on the Reach Spartans, they looked more believable. The armor, body size, etc all seemed to make sense artistically. At the very least, Im not a huge fan of the barrel chested, skinny waist Spartan IVs.. they look athletic, but they are just a bit too exaggerated it seems.. Still not as bad as the Halo Wars CGI Spartans though.

I swear, if the US doesn't get Halo 4 Gamerfuel I will be sad.

Thank you. The Halo Wars characters in general, outside if the standard humans were disgusting.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me, I'll be on BS2 tomorrow, if you wanna join me.

Love art deco.
Can't tomorrow. I'm working and then hanging out with a friend in the evening. I'll mostly be working from home for the rest of the week, though, and could get on at some point. Tweet me.

Thank you. The Halo Wars characters in general, outside if the standard humans were disgusting.

I liked the basis for the art and designs, but the execution was lackluster and over the top. I still would like to see Halo Wars armor as a permutation in Halo 4, I imagine it will look a lot better with the different proportions.. Ultimately I like the non final Halo Wars armor, which was in the teaser trailer.

Homeboyd

Expect a full write up of the entire (playable) protein sandbox from PAX. Should I without saying, but I know you fuckers like to drink.

Fuchsdh

So anyone have any guides on the Package LASO weekly challenge?

I usually get obliterated by those homing fuel rod turrets before Sword Base...

Expect a full write up of the entire (playable) protein sandbox from PAX. Should I without saying, but I know you fuckers like to drink.

I am going to off screen record every god damn thing I can. Every year I am like "nah, they won't care about off screen recording.. nobody at GAF will want to watch that" and then I come back and see the forums completely without off screen gameplay videos/pictures.

NOT THIS YEAR GENTLEMEN.

Or i'll get drunk Friday night and wakeup on Sunday next to the Pier... either one.

Vire

Posted on major nelson for PAX:
Halo 4
Get up close and personal with Halo 4’s fast-paced and addictive multiplayer! Everyday we’ll rotate through an exclusive selection of maps, game modes, and never-before-seen content that we know you’ll love to get hands-on time with! Hone your Halo skills, play with (or against) your friends, and see what innovations in store for you when Halo 4’s launches on November 6th. In the meantime, go behind the scenes to check out how this masterpiece was made in The Magic of Halo 4.

Masterpiece aye?

You hear that Frankie? MASTERPIECE.

For curiosity sake did MS, refer to Reach as a masterpiece in marketing mumbo jumbo? Or are they that confident?

G17

Whoever is going to PAX should do a detailed analysis on each support package. (ie. Difference in shield recharge time when you have the perk vs. when you don't, difference in radar range etc..)

We haven't gotten in-depth analysis yet on the support packages.

willow ve

There's not much new about street art, though. It's a variation on existing, primarily graphic, forms. Not saying it's bad, like anything it depends on the artist, but all the new stuff we've seen in the 20th century has just been bad to me in terms of a lot of design--I'd take the Chrysler Building over the identical glass-and-steel skyscrapers we get now.

There's a problem with modern architectural movements worldwide, but primarily within the USA. There is a distinct separation between function and aesthetic to the point that most clients/owners really don't give a rats ass what it looks like as long as they get the most bang for their buck. Yes it is the role of an architect to educate, inform, and lead a client/owner to the right decision both in function and in aesthetic, but in the end it really does come down to the money they're willing to spend. Japan and China are still doing some really interesting skyscrapers. The UAE was going the right way for awhile but now seems focused on TALLER TALLER TALLER, oh shit we're broke!?!?!?

You see this in almost all forms of architecture. From the smallest interior renovation to the largest skyscraper. Just look at the Freedom Tower going up in NYC. The original conceptual design by Libeskind was boss. But developers (aka money) chopped it apart and made it more economically feasible. You can trace this to a lot of factors, but it starts at the educational level. The USA is one of the few developed countries that doesn't teach architecture and design as part of national or international history. Almost all other "powers" in the world incorporate the teaching and respect for architecture in their K-12/grade school curriculum. Not so in the USA. We hail the almighty (or not so mighty) dollar, fuck the beauty.

Don't even get me started on up front vs. lifetime cost. Stupid ass short sighted clients.

/rant (Sorry, architect by trade. Would be a great profession if not for the clients).

Banksy is just a jerk, which seems to be a requirement for most artists these days, dunnit?

Banksy is kind of an asshole, but that is part of his public persona. It would be interesting to sit down with the man behind Banksy and just have a pint and see what he talks about when he's not in his "Banksy" mode. I guess I enjoy street art that has a message behind it (even if usually convoluted and confused).

Shadders

Whoever is going to PAX should do a detailed analysis on each support package. (ie. Difference in shield recharge time when you have the perk vs. when you don't, difference in radar range etc..)

We haven't gotten in-depth analysis yet on the support packages.

In my experience it can be very difficult to really do a good analysis in the context of a games expo. Especially when they're offering tees and posters to the highest scoring players.

Vire

The more recent the video, the more recent the mix and arrangement, more or less.

Anyway I am happy to go on record as saying it's an awesome OST.

I love it.

Franchise Development Director says OST is awesome.

Put it on the back of the box!

Glad to hear it, I've liked what I heard so far.

heckfu

Banned
You sounded way more erudite than I imagined. 'Dat mustache.
Why, thank you! I pride myself in having shaken most of my southern accent which regardless of what I was actually saying often makes people think we're (southerners) uneducated.

Or i'll get drunk Friday night and wakeup on Sunday next to the Pier... either one.

I'll be right beside you. Plus, I told Max to tell me when he's free and in Seattle for a drink so I may see you there as well!

Vire

ABf5I.png
jcj3G.png

Backstage at a GameStop Managers Event today.

Master Chief watching Master Chief. META.

Looks like they were showing off the desert level.

Bonus Warthog pic.

tFk1O.png

The Laser isn't OP, its a power weapon to control, just like anything else.

Don't have laser? Don't get in vehicles until you do. Simple.

I think this post is a huge contradiction. It says the laser is just like any other weapon (or at least any other power weapon) in one sentence, then in the next sentence clarifies why the laser isn't like any other power weapon.

What other weapon in Halo completely shuts down a range of tools for the opposing team to the degree the laser does vehicles? How is effectively eliminating a way in which a team can coordinate a response good (and fair)? The concept of "you fought for a weapon, so you should use it" is a fair and reasonable position in the abstract. But when specifically applied to the laser, the idea isn't well suited because of the consequences of the laser's ease of use. When battling for control of the laser, you are, by extension, battling for the outcome of vehicle usage, which should be a separate battle entirely.

feel

The more recent the video, the more recent the mix and arrangement, more or less.

Anyway I am happy to go on record as saying it's an awesome OST.

I love it.
Seems a bit hit and miss out of context, probably will be good on the actual game. Has Davidge signed on for the entire trilogy? (not expecting you to reply, and not just because it's a delicate subject, but because you never reply to me these days)

I think this post is a huge contradiction. It says the laser is just like any other weapon (or at least any other power weapon) in one sentence, then in the next sentence clarifies why the laser isn't like any other power weapon.

What other weapon in Halo completely shuts down a range of tools for the opposing team to the degree the laser does vehicles? How is effectively eliminating a way in which a team can coordinate a response good (and fair)? The concept of "you fought for a weapon, so you should use it" is a fair and reasonable position in the abstract. But when specifically applied to the laser, the idea isn't well suited because of the consequences of the laser's ease of use. When battling for control of the laser, you are, by extension, battling for the outcome of vehicle usage, which should be a separate battle entirely.

Power weapons give you an advantage over the other team, you earn that advantage by winning the battle for said weapon.

No different from any other power weapon.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seems a bit hit and miss out of context, probably will be good on the actual game. Has Davidge signed on for the entire trilogy? (not expecting you to reply, and not just because it's a delicate subject, but because you never reply to me these days)

I always reply to you. Sometimes I move my replies to the FurryGaf thread.

FyreWulff

Well I get into Seattle via bus around 2pm Thursday, anything I should do for that day or is pretty much chill until PAX starts?

Man, Halo 3 had great water and lighting...everything else.. not so much. But somethings from Halo 3 still impress me.

It still has the most fully featured HDR, but the tradeoff of 640p rustled too many gamer's jimmies

Then what was the point of replying if you're not going to address any of my points and, instead, post the same thing?

I didn't really think they were worth addressing. They didn't refute any of my statements IMO. So i restated it in a different way in hopes you would understand.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is there (or will there be) a legal way to purchase Halo 4 Original Soundtrack [Vol. 2]: Didactic Boogaloo: R3C0NF1GUR3D's tracks without the $75 limited edition OST?

I believe so. Not sure on deets, given that a lot of those artists are on different labels it gets complex.

I didn't really think they were worth addressing. They didn't refute any of my statements IMO. So i restated it in a different way in hopes you would understand.

I understood perfectly well, and I will say again that the concept you have put forth does not behave well with the concept of the laser because of its consequences on a huge part of the sandbox. That is why I asked for a comparable impact of a power weapon on a part of the sandbox as the laser has on vehicles. Because, if I am correct, there is none, and so it's not just like any other power weapon.

Nobody would be arguing against this concept if we were talking about rockets because their impact on vehicles is far more limited. Same goes for the sniper, or the shotgun, or the sword... There's no dynamic with another power weapon that is comparable to the laser because you're essentially fighting the outcome of two battles that should be separate.

Edit: Essentially, a lot of people in this thread think the laser holds too many consequence on a part of the sandbox that is much too large for weapon.

Edit 2: Nobody in here, I don't think, would disagree with the concept of "whoever fights and wins for a power weapon should have its advantages." When getting into specifics, though, people think the laser's advantages are far too great, and that's where we run into disagreements.

Top Bottom