• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't think it'll be that long until camo, jetpack, regen, and possibly Sentry are removed.

Sentry looks near useless.

You haven't seen more than one positioned in a place that's "out of the way" yet looking at where you need to go, while you're being distracted by at least 1 spartan.

DeadNames

Banned
You haven't seen more than one positioned in a place that's "out of the way" yet looking at where you need to go, while you're being distracted by at least 1 spartan.

Keyword there was 'looks'. Truth be told, I don't know how much damage it does and it's other mechanics.

Gui_PT

Until you realize most "noobs" will run in packs, and they will chain this.

I wonder if you get points for healing teammates.

Now that it's out there, who wants to run in a 5 man team and exploit this on day one?

Likewise, who wants to run 5 man teams dropping auto turrets together?

I remember doing this with Armor Lock.

Team Armor Lock was unstoppable.

willow ve

This discussion does bring up a good point. A lot of the AA in Reach gets abusive when an entire team uses it. Armor Lock on 1 or 2 guys in a Big Team Battle match isn't game breaking. Armor Lock in a full team in a 4v4 slayer match ruins the game.

Drop Shield was the same way. With one user it was annoying, but could be taken down with a grenade or team fire. But when you got 3 or more people using Drop Shield it was mostly unstoppable.

If the "counter" for most AAs is a different AA, what happens when the entire team goes with one setup? Is the other team then forced to all go to the opposite setup to counter?

-----

This got me thinking about the Hardlight Shield AA. If the counter for Hardlight Shield is grenades... what happens when we're out of grenades due to not being able to pick them up off dead bodies? Will this result in a stalemate while you wait for the Shield to run out?

response to VVVVVV below - Hardlight shield - Frank or someone else said that the shield absorbs bullets/damage form the front but a way around this is a grenade or rocket placed correctly. Rockets and other power weapons, I assume, will be pretty rare. This leaves grenade as the "counter" to someone using Hardlight Shield (unless you die, rearrange your loadout, and respawn with something different).

feel

Relax guys, I'm sure this has all been thoroughly tested by the group of anonymous scumbags that compose the 343i testing team.

Akai__

Drop Shield in Objective gametypes. Never forget.

This was a funny time. Don't know why Bungie didn't see this comming. I mean people already camped with the Oddball and Bubble Shield in Halo 3.

Also Halo 3 was pretty much trolling me today. Had about 10 games today in Team Doubles and we've got like 7 times Team Oddball. No BR starts in a ranked playlist, too. Smh, what was Bungie thinking? I didn't realize, that Halo 3's ranked matchmaking, besides MLG was that bad, until today...

Might be useless if it doesn't mesh with your desired play-style but I'm sure it will click with others.

One of the only things I actually see it being useful for is giving away an enemy's position as it watches your back.

Blue guy watching one way as the Sentry watches another angle you can't.

Scenario A:
  • -Red guy sees Sentry and blows it up
  • -Blue guy sees that as Red just gave away their position

Scenario B
  • -Red guy sees Sentry and leaves it alone
  • -Sentry remains alive and you hold your spot, maintaining control

Shadders

So I got invited along to this Halo 4 shindig in Manchester this evening. It was organised by both "Celebrity Gaming Club" and Microsoft(obviously). The gist of it was basically getting a load of famous people together for a party and photograph them playing Halo.

There were lots of beautiful people there, presumably from TV (I'd guess Emmerdale, Hollyoaks, that sort of thing, but no-one I'd be able to name), they had a few Team GB Olympic guys and some footballers (I'm told there were footballers the only one I recognised was Cameron Jerome so it may have just been footballer).

There was free Mountain Dew, free beer and free Nandos. Pretty much the perfect party.

That said I didn't really do any of the "party" side of it as I was just there for the Halos. Did about 12-15 matches on the E3 build, got a good chance to play around with lots of loadouts, AAs and weapons on Haven, Adrift and Longbow as well as a good mix of Slayer, Infinity Slayer and Regicide.

I'll write up my detailed thoughts and post pics tomorrow, I got to spend a good few hours with the game so have quite a lot to say. I'll be on for the next ten minutes or so if anyone has any questions?

Until you realize most "noobs" will run in packs, and they will chain this.

I wonder if you get points for healing teammates.

Now that it's out there, who wants to run in a 5 man team and exploit this on day one?

Likewise, who wants to run 5 man teams dropping auto turrets together?
Not only is the Regen Field no where near as intense as it's Halo 3 equivalent, there's also a pretty lengthy animation that stops you in place when deploying it. If you start taking fire during deployment then consider yourself dead. You can also easily get a grenade+headshot on someone stuck in that animation.

Oh baby, if nothing else Unlimited Slayer will be godly in Halo 4. Now I don't have any incentive to play the game legitimately. Just imagine getting overshields and care packages because we spawn kill people in their base over and over. You know matchmaking will be as broken as ever too. Going to be super relaxing.
I know you're being facetious, but personal ordnance drops aren't in CTF.

Relax guys, I'm sure this has all been thoroughly tested by the group of anonymous scumbags that compose the 343i testing team.
Maybe I'm missing a joke here, but scumbags? Really?

Not mad at all more skeptical. Besides it sounds like your trusting random people way too much. Wait until you pick up the flag and your teammates have no idea how to even shoot their weapon. My post are all based around playing CTF alone with randoms. The new CTF will be totally different with a team obviously.
Even if you played the old ctf, you wouldny be able to run the flag on tour own

Bsigg12

One of the only things I actually see it being useful for is giving away an enemy's position as it watches your back.

Blue guy watching one way as the Sentry watches another angle you can't.

Scenario A:
  • -Red guy sees Sentry and blows it up
  • -Blue guy sees that as Red just gave away their position

Scenario B
  • -Red guy sees Sentry and leaves it alone
  • -Sentry remains alive and you hold your spot, maintaining control

Scenario C
  • -Red guys takes cover from sentry fire thinking it's another player
  • -Blue guy has enough time to escape and let shields recharge.
I see the sentry more as canon fodder than anything. There will be times where it'll assist in a kill, but I see it more as a thing you put behind a corner so when you're retreating, the enemy walks into (albeit a small amount) cover fire.

Havok

Maybe I'm missing a joke here, but scumbags? Really?
The joke is that the internet is full of scumbags, and playtests probably don't involve people being total, unapologetic assholes to the enemy team because 343 seems like it's entirely made up of decent, upstanding human beings.

It's the evolution of "Zealot space section." I suspect that 343 will be much more proactive about pushing patches or doing things serverside to address issues quickly. It doesn't seem like they were entirely happy with the barebones monthly playlist update cycle either.

Is Regen limited by playlist?

Like you couldn't use that for King of The Hill right?

Perhaps you can't use armor abilities while in the Hill, like Hill was when Reach shipped (they changed that by just removing most of the AA's from King later.

It would make sense to do that for H4 without having to restrict AA's for the gametype. Curious to see what they do with King, it's always been one of my favorite gametypes.

As for the regen itself, it was one of the AA's that I was most frightened off going in, as the H3 ability is terribad, but it's not overpowered at all. It will heal you if you stand in it, but it doesn't prevent you from losing health at all if people are shooting you, and the animation makes it so you can't poop one out in the middle of a firefight and save yourself everytime.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The joke is that the internet is full of scumbags, and playtests probably don't involve people being total, unapologetic assholes to the enemy team because 343 seems like it's entirely made up of decent, upstanding human beings.

It's the evolution of "Zealot space section."

We do actually test for scum and villainy. Not kidding either.

To workoutGAF: any easy ways to just flat-out burn fat? I'm not really looking to build muscle at all, I just want to lose weight. :(
I don't care what anyone else tells you. The most important part of weight management is what you put in your mouth.

Eat clean and eat properly. Exercising is great for weight loss,but it's only part of the equation. Even if you don't want to put on muscle incorporating some body weight excericses to a cardio routine will speed up your metabolism.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't care what anyone else tells you. The most important part of weight management is what you put in your mouth.

Eat clean and eat properly. Exercising is great for weight loss,but it's only part of the equation. Even if you don't want to put on muscle incorporating some body weight excericses to a cardio routine will speed up your metabolism.

If anyone told him otherwise they would be fools.

Now if you want to be strong like ox...

Havok

We do actually test for scum and villainy. Not kidding either.
I figured there was at least some of that going on. I also imagine that you guys constantly get the same feeling that mapmakers have expressed where they exhaustively test for ways to get out of the map that need to be fixed, and some jerk finds a way to get underneath a killzone two days after it's pushed to matchmaking. The internet!

Stinkles

This is true, but I lost most of my weight by adjusting my exercise regime - then eating less kind of happened asa natural consequence, then, like anything I am successful at, I made it a bad habit and an obsessive compulsion. The second it irritated people around me I knew it was working.

It's the evolution of "Zealot space section." I suspect that 343 will be much more proactive about pushing patches or doing things serverside to address issues quickly. It doesn't seem like they were entirely happy with the barebones monthly playlist update cycle either.
Oh, oops. I guess some of Sai's sensyGAFness rubbed off on me at PAX.

Pop

Even if you played the old ctf, you wouldny be able to run the flag on tour own
You sure? I mean if your talking about 1v5 then ya but a full team vs a full team, have and could easily. See the "old" CTF had something called sneaky caps, now say goodbye to that. RIP "old CTF" according to you.

Stinkles

You sure? I mean if your talking about 1v5 then ya but a full team vs a full team, have and could easily. See the "old" CTF had something called sneaky caps, now say goodbye to that. RIP "old CTF" according to you.

I was an expert at sneaky caps. That was my only kind of cap. Will I miss them (in initial playlist stuff)? Yes. Did I enjoy the new mode more on balance? Also yes.

yep thats what im ultimately worried about. they should have had the mlg guys try and set up spawn traps, two guys place turrets, two use regen, and trap the other team.

OverHeat

« generous god »
J Allard wanna be? :p
033080e5912ecfa93118946d1853e66d.jpg

Vire

I was an expert at sneaky caps. That was my only kind of cap. Will I miss them (in initial playlist stuff)? Yes. Did I enjoy the new mode more on balance? Also yes.

Normally I'd call bullshit on Frankie being an expert at anything in Halo MP, but of course he would be great at running away from the action.

Normally I'd call bullshit on Frankie being an expert at anything in Halo MP, but of course he would be great at running away from the action.

I have to admit, he is pretty good at it (somehow), he managed to cap one on powerhouse against me not so long ago.

Made me rage. :p

TCKaos

This. A million times this. I've lost fifty pounds in the last six months doing this. I'm on track to lose more.

This is true, but I lost most of my weight by adjusting my exercise regime - then eating less kind of happened asa natural consequence, then, like anything I am successful at, I made it a bad habit and an obsessive compulsion. The second it irritated people around me I knew it was working.
Opposite with me. More I workout, more I eat

Fracas

#fuckonami
The only time I played with Frank, he teamkilled me 3 times. I had the power to boot him.

Could've learned all of Halo 4's secrets right then and there.

Vire

The only time I played with Frank, he teamkilled me 3 times. I had the power to boot him.

Could've learned all of Halo 4's secrets right then and there.

What you are supposed to do is leave the kick screen up the entire game and then in the final ten seconds of the game, give them the boot.

I once got a 5 minute private message rant for doing this.

Finally got in late last night from Seattle. I've got more to say involving PAX, but I wanted to say it was an absolute pleasure to meet some of you. Heckfu & Biggy, you guys are a couple of damn gems. Much <3 There are too many to name all the GAF-ers I got to spend a little time with, but the time was adored all the same.

Frankie and David, thanks for everything your crew did to make the community feel so welcome.

<3

Top Bottom