• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Nothing would make me happier than finding out that the writers over at 343 have somehow managed to work the BATTLEWAGON, a food nipple and maybe some romantically involved space apes into a single sentence.
I like my Halo at its most overtly stupid. I'm now completely on board. The Prom Knights are awesome. Battlewagon. BATTLEWAGON!

The obvious answer here is that the Prom Knight moniker is really just the tip of the iceberg in the Promethean's overall college theme. Didact's status as a god isn't a religion, it's a fraternity! He partied the hardest of them all! He's just resting now from partying so hard and will be massively pissed/hung over when we wake him up.

EDIT: This also makes Requiem the Chico State of Forerunner shield worlds.

So just the three types, but different variants of them?

A little disappointing.... was hoping for more species of new enemies.

The Covenant was comprised of Grunts, Jackals, Elites, Brutes, Hunters, Engineers, Drones, and Prophets.

Prometheans is just Crawlers, Knights and Watchers? I can see that getting old fast.
Halo 3 you fought Brute, Grunt, Jackal, Drone and Hunter.

In Halo 4 you will fight Elite, Grunt, Jackal, Watcher, Crawler, Knight, and potentially more Covenant.

It won't get old any time soon.

Slaker117

Alright, last giveaway for the day. One ONI patch to the person who answers this question.

What is the name of the fictional UNSC military academy to be featured in Forward Unto Dawn?

Slaker117

^ha sorry higher!

UNSC's Corbulo Academy of Military Science

Got it. PM me your address and I'll get it to you soon.

Wasn't it teased there'll be a Hunter type of Prom or was I dreaming?

NO ONE ANSWER I WANT THAT PATCH

FLSAKDF:KLSDHF:LKSJDF

Sorry. I have two more I'll be giving away tomorrow plus a cryptum pin and the poster. Hopefully you can win one then. :)

I'm thinking about doing something special for the poster since it's obviously the most desirable, but I know what it should be. I'll let you guys know if I come up with any good ideas.

Got it. PM me your address and I'll get it to you soon.

Sorry. I have two more I'll be giving away tomorrow plus a cryptum pin and the poster. Hopefully you can win one then. :)

I'm thinking about doing something special for the poster since it's obviously the most desirable, but I know what it should be. I'll let you guys know if I come up with any good ideas.

babyPoster.jpg

Slaker117

rats I was late again for the answer, I want that poster so bad but the contest is USA only right? =(

There was one winner from the UK who I'm giving a patch, though that's small and thus relatively cheap to send international. The poster will have to ship in a tube, and I'm guessing that will cost significantly more to mail, so yes, I'm probably going to limit it to the US. Sorry.

Thanks THC for the GI exclusive article and u4iX video!

Ive been wondering what other AA's will be used by enemy A.I. Prometheans and Covenant.

My speculation:
Covy Elites using - Jetpack, Camo, Hologram, and Regen Field? (Secret AA? Don't Know)
Prom Knights using - Hardlight Shield, Sentry Turret, PV, and Thruster Pack? (Teleport AA)

There was one winner from the UK who I'm giving a patch, though that's small and thus relatively cheap to send international. The poster will have to ship in a tube, and I'm guessing that will cost significantly more to mail, so yes, I'm probably going to limit it to the US. Sorry.

Hypothetical

vader.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
^Excellent.

Also the CTF vid is easily the worst we've seen of FUD so far. Hopefully there isn't anything worse than that. Sorry to whoever wrote that bit but it was bad.

Here's some quick info on class names and basic info. Will remove on request if too much, but I think its fine.

• Knight
    • Uses Supressor and LightRifle
  • Knight Lancer
    • Scouts and marksmen. Uses Promethean Vision.
  • Knight Commander
    • Leads groups, uses Autosentry turret and Incineration Cannon, has better armor and combat skills.
  • Knight Battlewagon
    • These ones look the most intimadating. They are rare. Uses Scattershot.
  • Crawler
    • Uses Boltshot.
  • Crawler Snipe
    • Has same description as Crawler. I imagine they hang back and use a different weapon, must have been a mistake on the description.
  • Alpha Crawler
    • Uses Supressor. Has spikes on back and head. Leader of packs.

There is a 2 page article on some of the stuff that I have only skimmed. The enemy and weapon info is just brief.

Yeah, its in there too. Just short descriptions and a side view image.

Cool, thanks. Not gonna lie, im a little let down by the fact that there are only 3 enemy types.. On top of that, the Knight variations look so similar. I hope they have a few more enemy types..

More GI stuff:

Promethean Weapons:
Boltshot - Pistol
Binary Rifle - Sniper.
Incineration Cannon - High explosive. Fires several streams of explosive particles along multiple paths that detonate and spread on impact. Mixes traits of the rocket launcher, shotgun, and flame thrower.
Light Rifle - Comparable to the Human DMR and battle rifle.
Supressor - Automatic rifle. Fires bolts of charged Hardlight that pierce and destroy organic material. A favorite of the Forerunners for use against the flood.
Scattershot - Shotgun
Pulse Grenade - Creates an area of effect that slows vehicles and damages both shields and health.

I assume this isn't everything. I would expect a vehicle or two at least and some more classes of enemies.

Cool, these weapons sound awesome. Im just kinda bummed that none of them are super unique, they are all more or less familiar when it comes to weapons. Too bad there isn't anything bizarre. Or vehicles. Or a melee weapon. =/

Vire

Cool, these weapons sound awesome. Im just kinda bummed that none of them are super unique, they are all more or less familiar when it comes to weapons. Too bad there isn't anything bizarre. Or vehicles. Or a melee weapon. =/

At the very least, the Incinerator sounds like it's new to Halo. Seems to function similarly to the Flak Cannon in the Unreal series.

But yeah, nothing that wildly imaginative.

It'd be cool if you could unlock Plasma Gauntlets/Hardlight Scythes to replace your Combat Knife for assassinations. It'd be cosmetic only, but it'd be something fun to waste your spartan points on. Maybe the hardlight scythe could vaporize corpses after you assassinate them.

Also, to frankie/david: if you're killed by a Promethean weapon in Campaign, does Chief actually vaporize on the death screen?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
At the very least, the Incinerator sounds like it's new to Halo. Seems to function similarly to the Flak Cannon in the Unreal series.

that would be the scattershot

CyReN

So which pros are confirmed for halo 4 mlg. Don't know any of these reach players.

100% confirmed, still a lot of players figuring things out.

Teams
Status Quo - Flamesword, Enable, Royal2, Snakebite
Instinct - Roy, Lunchbox, Ogre 2, Pistola
Fnatic Classic - Chig, Str8 Sick, Russo, Prototype

F/A

BesT MaN

The Scattershot pretty much is the Flak Cannon from Unreal.

The Incinerator sounds like a Fuel-Rod Gun type weapon that barfs out scattershot rounds.

Which is fine by me.

100% confirmed, still a lot of players figuring things out.

Teams
Status Quo - Flamesword, Enable, Royal2, Snakebite
Instinct - Roy, Lunchbox, Ogre 2, Pistola
Fnatic Classic - Chig, Str8 Sick, Russo, Prototype

F/A

BesT MaN
What happened with t2, neighbor, legit, and other halo 3 pros

Here's some quick info on class names and basic info. Will remove on request if too much, but I think its fine.

• Knight
    • Uses Supressor and LightRifle
  • Knight Lancer
    • Scouts and marksmen. Uses Promethean Vision.
  • Knight Commander
    • Leads groups, uses Autosentry turret and Incineration Cannon, has better armor and combat skills.
  • Knight Battlewagon
    • These ones look the most intimidating. They are rare. Uses Scattershot.
  • Crawler
    • Uses Boltshot.
  • Crawler Snipe
    • Has same description as Crawler. I imagine they hang back and use a different weapon, must have been a mistake on the description.
  • Alpha Crawler
    • Uses Supressor. Has spikes on back and head. Leader of packs.

So few variety of the new enemies,four versions of the same enemy. I really wanted 343 just take out the Covenant out of the ecuation and added more new enemies.

op_ivy

Well the incinerator is basically just a bigger form of the scattershot.

If you watch the video you see the little balls fly out much like the Flak Cannon.

Shockingly accurate.

anything described as part rocket launcher is well beyond the flak cannon. it may share similarities, but the scattershot seems to be clearly a more direct version of the flak cannon (despite possibly being nerfed from its first appearance)

Flipyap

Honestly, I don't know if I'm a fan of the whole concept of Forerunners using guns, at least in such a standard form. It's just so... convenient and dull. Not that the hand cannons in Isaac Hannaford's Forerunner concept art were anything radically new, but at the very least they weren't the same thing we already have.
It's also going to be feel weird observing the entire universe suddenly fill with those things, when until this point our closest thing to a Forerunner weapon came in the form of awkwardly handling parts of a broken Sentinel. That was a cool idea and I wish that instead of these adaptable grips (so convenient!), humans and other species would just have to adapt and figure out how to hold weapons designed for really freaking weird hands (or lack thereof, in case of the Prom bots). Alas, that probably wouldn't look "badass" enough.

senador

Banned
I think the new enemy count is not important but how each class fights a little differently and quite a bit differently when other types are around them. Throw Covenant in the mix and we should have a lot of varied encounters.

These new enemies don't just do 1 thing either, each type and class have a variety of ways to attack and defend.

I do hope there is a surprise or 2 though. The Flood wasn't revealed beforehand and neither were Sentinels. Perhaps a surprise along those lines will be there. Maybe even some extra unrevealed classes.

What about the blue Knights seen in Spartan Ops? They may just be the same but fighting for someone else, but still they weren't described in Game Informer.

op_ivy

I do hope there is a surprise or 2 though. The Flood wasn't revealed beforehand and neither were Sentinels. Perhaps a surprise along those lines will be there. Maybe even some extra unrevealed classes.

this. i'd bet money 343 hasnt revealed all enemy types.

I think the new enemy count is not important but how each class fights a little differently and quite a bit differently when other types are around them. Throw Covenant in the mix and we should have a lot of varied encounters.

These new enemies don't just do 1 thing either, each type and class have a variety of ways to attack and defend.

i dont think they revealed all the enemies yet (hoping)

Vire

The whole Halo 2 Arbiter switcheroo was kept under wraps for quite some time as well.

I'm not expecting anything that shocking, but it would be nice to have a surprise or two.

So I've been playing CEA lately with the old graphics, and whenever I switch over to the new ones I can feel slight input lag. Is it just me or does the game have a problem with that? It's only on the new graphics and I've never had any input lag in other games(except for Reach co-op/Firefight lol).

feel

So I've been playing CEA lately with the old graphics, and whenever I switch over to the new ones I can feel slight input lag. Is it just me or does the game have a problem with that? It's only on the new graphics and I've never had any input lag in other games(except for Reach co-op/Firefight lol).
It's definitely not just you.

CyReN

I don't know if it was in my mind but I would get stuck on parts on Legendary, then I would switch to classic and I could get past that part.

Omni

I've never noticed it myself... Probably because I can't stand the old visuals (They look so much better on the original game. Not sure why they're worse in the 'classic' mode. I guess they probably used the PC port on low, eh)

I don't know if it was in my mind but I would get stuck on parts on Legendary, then I would switch to classic and I could get past that part.

That's what happened to me. I was playing on heroic going for a cheevo just now and it was like my shots weren't really connecting. Switch to classic and I started running through it like nothing.

Top Bottom