• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

willow ve

The Banshee is one thing I'm curious to how they'll balance. For one, ditch the fuel rod blast. It has no business in MP, whatever if they feel like using it for campaign. Make the plasma cannons on the Banshee useful and it'll be a decent aerial assault.

Spawns will be no different than any other Halo (bad), so I don't think that will change a whole lot. Map size and instant spawns will alter these changes, as well.

Just think if they leave the Banshee alone (which I doubt they did) and yet combine that with instant spawning... It would be a whole new level of spawn killing mayhem.

As has been said before the Banshee really needs to cut all the bullshit aerial flipping. Allow it to do a single roll or backflip (to avoid rockets), but then give it a full cooldown period of 10-15 seconds. Yes it should be powerful and a skilled pilot should still be able to get 4-5 kills at a time. But the way the game works now it can be near impossible to hit it with anything other than a sniper.

Omni

I for one am relieved that the campaign is 8 missions long. I've never thought of Halo as a game that demands an outlandishly long single player segment. For me, the priorities in campaign are to show off the traditionally good enemy AI, give us opportunities to explore the weapon and vehicle sandbox and spoil us with eye exploding arcing vistas to delve into along the way. I don't think I'd appreciate a 15 level Halo campaign.
Oh? Halo 2's was good.

Hunters and Grav-Ham are confirmed which means Brutes are returning. They (to me) will be like Shock Troopers similar to Reach but deadlier Armor, Weaponry, and hopefully smarter A.I. (Overall Badasses) which this leaves us to question of what if there'll be a more menacing Promethean A.I. like "Vanguard" or "Reaper" to match/overpower the Brutes & Hunters? Plz 343 :3

Fuchsdh

Am i only one who is disappointed no Flood in Halo 4?
I really want them back, Pure Forms too.

I want a massive battlefield with the UNSC, the Covies, the Prometheans, the Sentinels and the Flood each fighting there.

Indeed. Love it!

The Flood have to return at some point, but I'm hoping their absence this game means a kickass and fearsome return in the future.

The achievement list suggests well be fighting the Covenant for most of the campaign,
Which makes me hopeful for three-way battles.

rumored leaked fuel rod cannon

fuel.jpg

the Promethean sniper is rumored to be called the
binary rifle

no idea on how legitimate these could be, but here is source

Gazzawa

Hunters and Grav-Ham are confirmed which means Brutes are returning[/I]. They (to me) will be like Shock Troopers similar to Reach but deadlier Armor, Weaponry, and hopefully smarter A.I. (Overall Badasses)

Yeah ODSTs brute were more polished in 3. Improved AI would make them ridiclously tactical on Legendary for Halo 4.

Also Shadders WTF man £45 pound for 3 face plates. Shaking my head. You wouldnt spend 45 quid on 3 pairs of underwear!

I for one am relieved that the campaign is 8 missions long. I've never thought of Halo as a game that demands an outlandishly long single player segment. For me, the priorities in campaign are to show off the traditionally good enemy AI, give us opportunities to explore the weapon and vehicle sandbox and spoil us with eye exploding arcing vistas to delve into along the way. I don't think I'd appreciate a 15 level Halo campaign.

I'm more miffed there's only ten launch maps.
Its 13 though right?

10 maps plus 3 unique forge environments.

The Flood have to return at some point, but I'm hoping their absence this game means a lickass and fearsome return in the future.

The achievement list suggests well be fighting the Covenant for most of the campaign,

Agreed on both accounts. I loved the three-way battles we got in 2, and to a different extent, in 3. For all the talk of changes in visual identity, a return (in 5 or 6) of the Flood would something I would be very excited about seeing with a new more fearsome look.

Regarding the Banshee, ODST was my favorite to pilot. Loved the way it handled. Still wish they would have done a bit of evolving of the H2-3 Banshee design and used that for 4. Looking at some gorgeous Banshee screenshots from H3 the other day reminded me how much I missed that look. =/

If they ever bring back the brutes the chopper better be there too.
Well, it's not technically a "new" vehicle, so there's still hope (this assumes the mech and the Mammoth are the two new ones)

Without sounding too mean and petty, it sounds incredibly generic. I can't picture Chief doing what he does at all, but I can sure as hell picture the opening credit sequence to any superhero action movie. :-\

rumored leaked fuel rod cannon

fuel.jpg

the Promethean sniper is rumored to be called the
binary rifle

no idea on how legitimate these could be, but here is source

Holy shit, Tron Fuel Rod Gun?

I'm putting all my money in the disc drive BUT IT'S NOT DOING ANYTHING 343

The Flood have to return at some point, but I'm hoping their absence this game means a lickass and fearsome return in the future.

raJPq.png

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hunters and Grav-Ham are confirmed which means Brutes are returning. They (to me) will be like Shock Troopers similar to Reach but deadlier Armor, Weaponry, and hopefully smarter A.I. (Overall Badasses) which this leaves us to question of what if there'll be a more menacing Promethean A.I. like "Vanguard" or "Reaper" to match/overpower the Brutes & Hunters? Plz 343 :3

You have jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

Beckx

How long do people really want these things to last? 6-8 hours is totally fine for a FPS campaign.

This, this, a thousand times this. I hate long FPS campaigns, most feel padded for review length.

Inspired by this thread, I want to ask HaloGAF a question: How many of you consider a Halo game to be your favorite game of this console generation? Or favorite game ever?

Very hard question for me to answer. Nothing this gen is my favorite game ever - too much nostalgia at work for that to ever happen, for one.

As for this generation:

• Reach and H3 are among my favorite games of this gen. The Covenant and The Ark are easily my favorite FPS levels - maybe of all time.
  • For pure mechanics and visual style, Vanquish and Bayonetta.
  • For atmosphere, difficulty, and generally nailing a playstyle I like, the Souls series is way up there.
  • The original Dead Rising is very high on my list, it hit at the right time and really clicked for me - but if it were released today, I know it wouldn't work so well.
  • Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare was so good I wish the entire game had been just that.
  • For all its faults, I loved MGS4, and the climatic fight with Adam is, possibly, my favorite moment this generation.

Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed both roped me in early, and both increasingly feel like they've left me behind. No plans to pick up ACIII.

Striker

Its 13 though right?

10 maps plus 3 unique forge environments.
Ten maps is completely fine if we're getting an ample amount of each playlist (4v4 or 5v5 maps based on symmetric and asymmetric design, plus mid-to-large size, then the BTB quality). Halo 3 had 11 and Halo 2 had 12 including Foundation.

Seeing Fuel Rod and the Laser returning and not the Plasma Launcher makes me want to punch a sheep.

Shadders

You have jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

I'd love it if Grunts were trunking around carrying Chieftain hammers they've scavenged from somewhere.

Why do you buy a console at every launch? Don't you have a 360 already?

I like to have nice things. Surely the Limited Edition consoles are aimed at people who already own a 360? Any Halo fan (the target market for a LE Halo console) is already going to own an Xbox.

Beckx

I'm happy they're not in. Their best incarnation was in Reach, but they still very shitty enemies to fight.

Completely agree. I'm happy: 8 campaign levels, no brutes. Honestly I'm hoping the Covenant enemies feature only in the first couple of levels, and then we're on to new stuff.

Hopefully it isn't something half-assed like Bungie did with the Skirmishers where they stated that they all died out on Reach...

I think "the Elites kill them wherever they can find them" would do.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can deal with 4 not having Brutes or Flood. I want Halo 4 to be about the mystery around the Forerunners, and how the shield world works. Ghosts of Onyx in style.

Brutes where pretty dull to fight, I'm glad they are gone. I wonder if the Flood will be in? ODST and Reach where both far better off without them

Skirmishes and drones where also hardly fun enemy's, would be pretty happy If they are gone for good aswell.

Slaker117

Brutes where pretty dull to fight, I'm glad they are gone. I wonder if the Flood will be in? ODST and Reach where both far better off without them

Skirmishes and drones where also hardly fun enemy's, would be pretty happy If they are gone for good aswell.

They've already said no flood.

Thank you.

Hmm. I wonder, if the group of Covenant we're fighting is a splinter group, perhaps we'll see some Elites rocking modified Gravity Hammers nabbed from Brutes.
That's what I'm thinking. Either that or Requiem is actually the planet where the Brutes outsourced the manufacturing to.

Gray Man

Banned

Really? I enjoyed skirmishers a lot more than drones. I didn't think they were terribly hard to dispose of, and it provided a new and unique challenge. Its nice to have an enemy in the covenant that could actually flank you.

Vire

In one sense I'm dissapointed I won't get to see a newly redesigned Brute, but on the other hand this also means less Covenant which is something Im looking for.

Woorloog

Banned
Really? I enjoyed skirmishers a lot more than drones. I didn't think they were terribly hard to dispose of, and it provided a new and unique challenge. Its nice to have an enemy in the covenant that could actually flank you.

Yup.

BTW, the new Jackal desing ressembles Skirmishers a bit.

Oh well, at least the four core species are in, the Elites, the Grunts, the Jackals and the Hunters. Wonder if the Engineers are in...

GhaleonEB

We need this for some kind of deleted scene footage or something.Imagine the small things using the hammer and themselves being blown backwards.

Related note: I've always wanted to have the enemy pick up weapons dropped by fallen allies. Grunts shouldn't walk past FRGs while using their Needler. I mention this because your post made me think of an unusually brave Grunt picking up a hammer from a fallen Elite and charging full speed, shrieking. The image amused me.
They said that we will not be fighting the Flood. They will probably return in some form.

Hah. I can imagine a collective dismay from players as the Flood shows up, only to rejoice as they find they don't have to play them.

I'm guessing they will not play a major role in this game, but will return later in the trilogy.

Gray Man

Banned
In one sense I'm dissapointed I won't get to see a newly redesigned Brute, but on the other hand this also means less Covenant which is something Im looking for.

Even if the brutes don't show up to fight in the game that doesn't mean we won't see pictures, or hear things, or a dead body for whatever reason.

I think its very reasonable to say than all the known covenant forces have been redesigned from the previous games. It sort of makes sense to do them at the same time.

Any word of Engineers being in the game by the way?

Top Bottom