• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Woorloog

Banned
Fridays are always a tad slow, unless news are imminent.

Even slower for me when i can't really do anything. And i'm hungry but don't have appetite.

Raider and Ranger both look like puppydog faces with their tongues out. Defender looks like an overly happy anime face. Almost all the other ones I like actually. Those are mainly the ones I see me NEVER using, lol

The PA Report - Halo evolved: How 343 Industries took the flag and ran with it to create Halo 4

And GameInformer's new issue has a feature about Halo 4's Prometheans:
We'll also have plenty of non-Nintendo news, including features on Halo 4's Prometheans and the first three hours of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. To kick off the holiday review season, you can also read our thoughts on one of the year's biggest releases, Borderlands 2. Can Gearbox's massive sequel live up to the original? Find out in our October issue, which should be hitting print subscribers near September 10th and digital PC/Mac subscribers on September 11th.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/09/07/october-cover-revealed-mario-wii-u.aspx

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
tw7aQ.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNOT-_w3h9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8FlT58Q2o

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
think of new ball mechanics on Swordbase. you and a team mate could bounce the ball from lift room to atrium and your opponents would be like WTF

You could throw the ball up the elevator, and someone could catch it in the lift room upstairs because no-one will be there.

Also the creator of "Temple" sent me an XBL message last night because he heard I hated it. I had to explain that was more to do with SWAT than the map.

How OP is Regen field? Like how quickly does it heal you?
It heals you quickly, but standing in it and fighting doesn't prevent you from taking damage. You also can't poop it out in the middle of a firefight because there is a significantly lengthy animation to deploy it.

I was very worried about that AA, but the worries were for naught. The AA's are really balanced well, they augment your combat set instead of dominating like Reach. Camo is still camo as an AA though, which I feel is just a poor design decision regardless of how much they've nerfed it.
image.php

that's all i see with your spoiler tags.
HOLY SHIT

It's also about the size of the map, too. The DMR didn't work well for me on Adrift, so I went with the Carbine and it was much better. I will really enjoy being able to tailor my loadout based on the map and gametype (I'm still very curious to know how 343 plans on limiting them in matchmaking); it gives me a broader scope of choice that I've never had before in a Halo game.

You crazy, DMR and Storm Rifle on Adrift ends worlds!

Also, thanks to Heckscrub, I played some Reach last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but eventually we played Doubles. Holy shit the jetpack in Reach is awful, that's all doubles is. Who honestly approved the amount of aim acceleration on the vertical axis in that game? Jetpacker flys above you and it's over because the game doesn't let you aim up in a reasonable about of time.

heckfu

Banned
You could throw the ball up the elevator, and someone could catch it in the lift room upstairs because no-one will be there.

Also the creator of "Temple" sent me an XBL message last night because he heard I hated it. I had to explain that was more to do with SWAT than the map.
Why didn't Fyrewulff just contact you here?

That map is poop. The only reason it got put into matchmaking is because it looks nice.
Speaking of maps, I liked the one you submitted to FH for their Flag contest. You do good work. #SLRP

You crazy, DMR and Storm Rifle on Adrift ends worlds!
You might be right, but I did really poorly on that map overall. I feel confident in blaming the drink coupons that Frankie and bsangel kept giving me.

No. Two reasons - one is that it would make unmolested vehicles and occupants overpowered, two, it is the same button for catch as exit vehicle. HOWEVER, enemy players can intercept enemy throws using RB (or whatveer scheme non recon people use). Nothing preventing you from surfing a vehicle and catching in that fashion though.

I have to ask, is there an "Interception" medal?

Oh nice.. I wonder if it will have anything new in it. GIs usually start hitting people the day the cover is revealed, so we may have a chance to find out later today, or maybe this week.

I have to ask, is there an "Interception" medal?

Oh nice.. I wonder if it will have anything new in it. GIs usually start hitting people the day the cover is revealed, so we may have a chance to find out later today, or maybe this week.
Andrew Reiner said "XCOM and Halo 4 are also blown out in this issue." via twitter. Not sure what to expect. But on the other hand I don't care. I don't want any information about Campaign or SpOps...

Andrew Reiner said "XCOM and Halo 4 are also blown out in this issue." via twitter. Not sure what to expect. But on the other hand I don't care. I don't want any information about Campaign or SpOps...

Our Halo 4 story tells you everything you need to know about the new promethean enemies, and their weapons and equipment.

So some info on the binary rifle, and why its one shot kill?

The Raider helmet is giving me Darth Vader vibes. And lol, I just noticed the headphones mounted on the Orbital helmet. Provided Recruit's bonus is just a skin and not the armor itself I might end up using Orbital.

That map is poop. The only reason it got put into matchmaking is because it looks nice.

It's been more than a year since forge maps were consistently added to all the playlists, and I still don't now which ones are which.

I hear it all the time in my lobby, which one is Rasu, Delta facility etc.

At least Cragmire is instantly recognisable. :p

Some incorrect information posted on the impressions on the Little English Halo Blog. The only thing that affects team score in Infinity Slayer is 10 points per kill, just like every past Halo game. There is a separation of individual and team score in every gametype that I've seen so far in Halo 4 (yes just like COD if that makes it easier to understand).

The difference in Infinity Slayer is that your individual score adds up to fill your personal ordnance meter.

=D

Sounds like it should be the SP level the press got to play a little while ago.

The Raider helmet is giving me Darth Vader vibes. And lol, I just noticed the headphones mounted on the Orbital helmet. Provided Recruit's bonus is just a skin and not the armor itself I might end up using Orbital.

Im starting to wonder if the armor with the skin gets unlocked early when you buy the LE game or console, but later on you can unlock non prime recruit armor or regular FOTUS. Was there a regular FOTUS without a skin in the build?

Hmm, will we get more new weapons? Vehicles?

I don't think we will get any Promethean vehicles sadly. =(

Overdoziz

Banned
Speaking of maps, I liked the one you submitted to FH for their Flag contest. You do good work. #SLRP
I like most of the layout but aesthetically is doesn't look the way I want it to. About halfway through I ran out of objects in certain categories which forced me to use ones from different categories which then resulted in a very inconsistent look overall. It's probably bigger issues I have with Forge, it really hinders Forgers in creating a map that doesn't look like an inconsistent mess. And the worst part is that I don't know why the limit is even in place because the individual objects in each category already have their own budget linked to them. I really hope they get rid of the limit in Halo 4 Forge.

Either way I'm going to rebuild it in Halo 4 and aside from making it look better I'll most likely make some changes to the layout too.

Some incorrect information posted on the impressions on the Little English Halo Blog. The only thing that affects team score in Infinity Slayer is 10 points per kill, just like every past Halo game. There is a separation of individual and team score in every gametype that I've seen so far in Halo 4 (yes just like COD if that makes it easier to understand).

The difference in Infinity Slayer is that your individual score adds up to fill your personal ordnance meter.
The way he described it actually sounds a lot more interesting.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Little white lie there, eh?

Halo 4 Forward Unto Dawn "Flag" preview
I wonder if the flag get glued to their hands and sucked in by magnets.

Im looking forward to this series, but man oh man does that color correction look bad. Im not even saying the absence of colors look bad, its just the way its handled looks cheap. I hope its a temporary filter while they work on the final color levels.

Stinkles

So this Kill Screen reporter says Microsoft told him he was too tall to take a photo with Master Chief.

Lol. Those would have been show staff/security, not MS PR people, btw.

Little white lie there, eh?

No that's literally true. I have nothing against the level, I just hate it for SWAT because there are like, two lines of sight in the whole map - the Tunnel and the pit.Haven't played it in anything else but the SWAT thing is specific.

“I think Neil brings a very character-centric approach. He sort of talks about it as method composing, where he gets inside the mind of whichever character is in a particular moment or scene, and tries to think from the inside out of what is that character feeling and how can he express that through the music.”​

Excellent. I haven't been too fond of what little I've heard so far, and was hoping that more context was needed to convey the feeling. Seems to be an overall sentiment to the game as a whole, which is a good thing.

I like most of the layout but aesthetically is doesn't look the way I want it to. About halfway through I ran out of objects in certain categories which forced me to use ones from different categories which then resulted in a very inconsistent look overall. It's probably bigger issues I have with Forge, it really hinders Forgers in creating a map that doesn't look like an inconsistent mess. And the worst part is that I don't know why the limit is even in place because the individual objects in each category already have their own budget linked to them. I really hope they get rid of the limit in Halo 4 Forge.

Either way I'm going to rebuild it in Halo 4 and aside from making it look better I'll most likely make some changes to the layout too.
I've got a few maps that I've been farting around with in Reach that will definitely be re-worked in Halo 4. I don't really understand why there's an individual object limit AND an overall limit as well, and I hope it's one of the many changes that H4 will bring to the forge table. After the RTX video I'm keeping my expectations extremely low.

kylej

Banned
Aesthetically it’s a bit busy, there’s steam and flames coming from pipes which can be distracting and there’s lots of crates lying about everywhere which get in the way as much as they offer cover, but that’s something that we’ll get used to in time.

All the games we played were 8 player (either free for all or 4v4) and I really don’t feel like Longbow worked with small teams. I’d often spawn and have to walk for 20 seconds or so to find a fight which is a bit boring really.

Yep. What're you going to do. Been lamenting this for years, it's just continuing the trend that Bungie started of putting aesthetics over gameplay with their map design. It's map design to impress the reviewers, not to reward players who are still playing Halo 4 every day 2 years from now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yep. What're you going to do. Been lamenting this for years, it's just continuing the trend that Bungie started of putting aesthetics over gameplay with their map design. It's map design to impress the reviewers, not to reward players who are still playing Halo 4 every day 2 years from now.

I disagree here. I understand the points of aesthetics getting in the way of gameplay, but I think you can have both, not one or the other. I'll reserve judgement on Adrift for when I can play it, but most of the issues I've had with past Halo maps (including Reach) are more from a layout perspective. I have had very little issues with them looking too pretty.

From what I played of Halo 4 the new CTF map looked great, and the looks never got in the way of gameplay. Maybe indoor maps are worse, but I never had that issue in Reach either. More issue with map layout and weapon placement.

Stinkles

I'll tweet this info back to them. They seem a decent lot and have responded to twitter criticism before, so maybe they'll fix it.

We're not mad. I think the story is fine. That's what happened to him. It has never happened to me though, they seem pretty keen to have ME standing next to the Chief...

kylej

Banned
Hardlight Shield

I found this to be more useful in annoying people than any kind of tactical advantage, it telegraphs your position and slows your movement. In most cases turning and sprinting would be a better defensive strategy. To answer a question from E3, if you crouch whilst carrying the HLS the spartan stays standing, but the over the shoulder cam drops down to his bum.

I find it amazing that we had to wait until September for an (non-press, non-dev, non-PR, mind you) answer to a question posed to the head multiplayer guy at E3. What a strange lead up to release this game has had.

Top Bottom