• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Havok

Just catching up on all the Promethean reveals. I hope that the Commander is used sparingly, as a "special occasion" style class, like the Hammer Brutes were. I've grown increasingly sour in recent years on Halo encounters where the enemy has explosive weapons. It often ends up feeling very cheap. Happens with Concussion Rifle Elites, homing Fuel Rods (from both Chieftains and Grunts), Brute Shot Captains, whatever. Halo CE's FRG Grunts were a rarity, and even when they showed up it wasn't difficult to dodge out of the way, and that made them something special. Ever since, explosives have been more and more common and harder and harder to dodge.

Gonna jump on Reach for some Anniversary Classic. Feel free to join. Just so you know beforehand: don't get mad at me if we lose, it was probably your fault.

It's Anniversary Classic...we won't lose.

GhaleonEB

Even if thats all the new enemies we're getting, we still have the Covenant units and we haven't idea of how the class will work with them.

I'm quite happy right now with the line up. Anything more is just bonus.

That's more or less where I'm at. The three announced Promethean units are designed to work tightly together in what sound like interesting ways, and the various classes also sound promising. Certainly the different classes of Covenant, particularly from Halo 3 onward, offered up much variety.

I do suspect they're holding some things back as surprises, but even if they're not, it's a solid line up.

Now, about those Promethean vehicle(s)....

That's more or less where I'm at. The three announced Promethean units are designed to work tightly together in what sound like interesting ways, and the various classes also sound promising. Certainly the different classes of Covenant, particularly from Halo 3 onward, offered up much variety.

I do suspect they're holding some things back as surprises, but even if they're not, it's a solid line up.

Now, about those Promethean vehicle(s)....

I've heard rumors of a single-seated vehicle, with heavy boosting capabilities that sports a forward-mounted engine and heavy blades up front, in an almost plow pattern, like it was originally meant to push through enemies. It is said to have a fairly sharp turning radius as well.

GhaleonEB

I've heard rumors of a single-seated vehicle, with heavy boosting capabilities that sports a forward-mounted engine and heavy blades up front, in an almost plow pattern, like it was originally meant to push through enemies. It is said to have a fairly sharp turning radius as well.

Sounds like you could really chop guys up with a brutal vehicle like that.

Slaker117

Weird. I just noticed that my Halo: Silentium poster from PAX has "SPARTn" written on it in sliver sharpie. Not spartan, "SPARTn". No idea what that's about.

EDIT: Oh, I think it's actually "Sparth".That makes a lot more sense, as that would be a concept artist on Halo 4. D'oh.

heckfu your new avatar is just about my favorite thing

also, I finally got all my syllibi and the week of november 6 is PACKED.

I have both an accounting AND a stats exam on Nov. 8th, and my school is playing our biggest rival in both hockey and football that weekend.

it'll probably take me a few days to get through the H4 campaign and then even more time to dive into multiplayer. having responsibilities sucks.

Weird. I just noticed that my Halo: Silentium poster from PAX has "SPARTn" written on it in sliver sharpie. Not spartan, "SPARTn". No idea what that's about.

EDIT: Oh, I think it's actually "Sparth".That makes a lot more sense, as that would be a concept artist on Halo 4. D'oh.

It's advertising SPART n' MART, the new Armory where you can spend your SPART n' POINTS in Halo 4!

You are assuming they are listing all of them.

In the GameInformer article, 343i explicitly said there are three subdivisions of Prometheans: Crawlers, Watchers, and Knights.
It seems like the variety of the Prometheans really shines in the individual encounters, depending on which units are fighting together.
The variety of strategies increase when the Covenant come into play as well.
Plus the Prometheans are only one part of the Forerunner civilization...

At the very least, the Incinerator sounds like it's new to Halo. Seems to function similarly to the Flak Cannon in the Unreal series.

But yeah, nothing that wildly imaginative.

Yeah, I mean Im not sure what exactly I wanted.. But I think I wanted something surprising for Halo.. just something unique, non conventional. Don't get me wrong, I love the Promethean weapons, its just they could easily be re-skinned as Covenant or UNSC weapons.

I doubt they've revealed everything, especially vehicles.

I really hope you're right, the Prometheans are cool but feel a little lacking. I wish the Knight variants had as much visual variation as Covenant variations..

As for vehicles, god knows I want them, but I don't think they are happening. Expertzone still says only 2 new vehicles, and I am sure we have seen at least 1 (mech) and maybe 2 (Mammoth). Im hoping the latter doesn't count though as its just a revision of the Elephant.

In the GameInformer article, 343i explicitly said there are three subdivisions of Prometheans: Crawlers, Watchers, and Knights.
It seems like the variety of the Prometheans really shines in the individual encounters, depending on which units are fighting together.
The variety of strategies increase when the Covenant come into play as well.
Plus the Prometheans are only one part of the Forerunner civilization...

and what we are fighting aren't true Prometheans. They are AI

Slaker117

Yeah, I mean Im not sure what exactly I wanted.. But I think I wanted something surprising for Halo.. just something unique, non conventional. Don't get me wrong, I love the Promethean weapons, its just they could easily be re-skinned as Covenant or UNSC weapons.

I really hope you're right, the Prometheans are cool but feel a little lacking. I wish the Knight variants had as much visual variation as Covenant variations..

As for vehicles, god knows I want them, but I don't think they are happening. Expertzone still says only 2 new vehicles, and I am sure we have seen at least 1 (mech) and maybe 2 (Mammoth). Im hoping the latter doesn't count though as its just a revision of the Elephant.

I'm feeling this too. It's such a blatantly simple thing that it feels dumb even saying it, but the fact that all the classes are the same base color robs the different Prometheans of a lot of visual uniqueness. Of course that was intentional, they are all of the same origin, it makes perfect sense for them to look similar, but it does create a feeling of blandness about them, at least to me. They are fun to fight, but boring to look at.

m23

and what we are fighting aren't true Prometheans. They are AI

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that when we first found out. Would have been epic to go against a real Promethean. I hope we get to meet/see a real forerunner for once, whether a Builder, Promethean or Lifeshaper.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by that when we first found out. Would have been epic to go against a real Promethean.
I'm a canon junkie. so it bothers me when people don't know certain things. Hell, it bothers me when people hate on the Flood. They aren't mindless. that was because of bungie. if 343i decides to use the flood, i guarantee it would be a success. /rant.

But fighting a true Promethean would be pretty cool.

Ramirez

Weird. I just got my Silentium poster and in silver Sharpie it says Elli 5. So strange.

Time to bust out your decoder ring.

FCM9x.jpg

Slaker117

Weird. I just got my Silentium poster and in silver Sharpie it says Elli 5. So strange.

>__<

It looked like "spartan"! The fact that it looked like a real word that's relevant to Halo immediately locked it in my mind as that, and I was trying to figure that out so I couldn't see the obvious. I'm not an idiot, really!

*runs away and cries*

Dingus, it's Elkis.

Edit: we'll autocorrect is dumb
Edit2: fuck
:lol

Top Bottom