• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Who's running through Halo 4 campaign solo their first time?

It's usually been a tradition for me to go solo with my first playthrough, but I thought it'd be fun to mix things up a bit so Thermite and I are playing it for our first playthrough. So stoked.

Ah, the more money than sense option.

Speaking of which, did you hear about the GAEMERS HALO 4 SIUTCSAE?
Preordered. Day -40. Will throw at Frankie at Eurogamer while crying loudly about mid screen text.

If I go. :-/

It's usually been a tradition for me to go solo with my first playthrough, but I thought it'd be fun to mix things up a bit so Thermite and i are playing it for our first playthrough. So stoked.
Solo. It's a great tradition. Shut myself in a room and enjoy mind bending amounts of fresh Halo goodness.

Woorloog

Banned
The thing is, implementing a CoD style meta-game doesn't even seem to have increased Halo's audience.

The addition of the unlockables/points based metagame was the biggest (non-gameplay) change made with Halo: Reach and it did not manage to attract half the audience Halo 3's multiplayer did, despite a dramatic increase in the install base, despite the metagame.

Reach didn't market the game with fast speed or anything else. It offered half-assed armor customization, no perks or weapon customization.
It was very much Halo-Halo still (at least to casual audience), even with credit system and armor abilities modifying the meta-game.
Never once i made a comparison to COD in my mind, i reckon quite many other COD players didn't feel Reach to be like COD in any way.

EDIT also, taking Halo in the direction of "classic" Halo won't revitalize it. Sure, it may attract the old Halo players back, but not new ones. Mixing things up in Halo 4 may do that. Or may not.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

It's usually been a tradition for me to go solo with my first playthrough, but I thought it'd be fun to mix things up a bit so Thermite and i are playing it for our first playthrough. So stoked.

Anything other than Solo would ruin the atmosphere - you'd easily miss out on a small little details here and there, never mind one player triggering or seeing something the other player didn't.

No, I'll keep my experience pure. After all, you can only play through it for the first time once and replay it again as many times as you want.

willow ve

The last 2 games I've run through solo on legendary before jumping into multiplayer. I imagine I'll run through Halo 4 on legendary before going full on multiplayer... but the changes and new physics have me interested enough I'll probably play a few games at launch.

It will make it a lot more difficult if I have physically swap discs to go between campaign and multiplayer...

Anything other than Solo would ruin the atmosphere - you'd easily miss out on a small little details here and there, never mind one player triggering or seeing something the other player didn't.

No, I'll keep my experience pure. After all, you can only play through it for the first time once and replay it again as many times as you want.

Your partners will probably skip every single cutscene as well...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The thing is, implementing a CoD style meta-game doesn't even seem to have increased Halo's audience.

The addition of the unlockables/points based metagame was the biggest (non-gameplay) change made with Halo: Reach and it did not manage to attract half the audience Halo 3's multiplayer did, despite a dramatic increase in the install base, despite the metagame.

Why take Halo further in the direction that Reach established was mistaken? What makes CoD popular might not make Halo more popular, not because they have different audiences, but because they are different games. Halo does not lend itself to unlockable weapons or perks... maybe that's why 343's implementation is so half-hearted, why they boast that it doesn't seriously affect gameplay.

It seems that 343 thinks the metagame will make the game more popular. But the best way to make the game more popular is to make it better. The increased emphasis and importance of the metagame will not make Halo better -- it won't make a dent in CoD's population, either.

Gaining XP was not what made Reach bad, it actually made Halo 3 and Reach better. Certain balance issues with AA's and bloom is what made Reach bad (not to mention map design).

I'm pretty sure 343i's goal is to make Halo better, implying that they aren't doing that at all is odd.

TheOddOne

I solo it too the first time. With a party usually you can't stay looking around the environment too long, and I like to stop and look around a tad too much in games.

Played a bit more Anniversary Campign. It's stunning how well it holds up (even the classic graphics still look great).

Player more Reach MP and the playerbase seems more bad mannered than before. Every game there is at least one quitter or betrayer. I really wish there was a no guest-no party playlist.

Why take Halo further in the direction that Reach established was mistaken? What makes CoD popular might not make Halo more popular, not because they have different audiences, but because they are different games. Halo does not lend itself to unlockable weapons or perks... maybe that's why 343's implementation is so half-hearted, why they boast that it doesn't seriously affect gameplay.

It seems that 343 thinks the metagame will make the game more popular. But the best way to make the game more popular is to make it better. The increased emphasis and importance of the metagame will not make Halo better -- it won't make a dent in CoD's population, either.

This is a common issue I see people saying:
If it didn't work in Reach, why bother trying to make it better or using it at all?

The problem with Reach is in the core gameplay mixed with the poor maps and playlist management. I think it's really that simple.. Give us a faster, more visceral core Halo experience with great maps and great playlist management (since obviously the Searchable Custom Games ship sailed ages ago) and you got yourself a legit Halo game.

Give Halo Reach a 1-50 system and the features of Halo 4 and it'll still suck.
Give Halo 1 or Halo 2 the features of Halo 4 and the game would be phenomenal.

Everyone loves to complicate shit, but gives me a solid, core Halo game first and foremost which is looking like what we're getting with Halo 4.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The last 2 games I've run through solo on legendary before jumping into multiplayer. I imagine I'll run through Halo 4 on legendary before going full on multiplayer... but the changes and new physics have me interested enough I'll probably play a few games at launch..

I'm not a fan of the burning through the campaign scenario anymore. I did that with Reach the day it came out and regret it now.

I liked the set up with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST where I took a few days to finish it.

JackHerer

It's usually been a tradition for me to go solo with my first playthrough, but I thought it'd be fun to mix things up a bit so Thermite and I are playing it for our first playthrough. So stoked.

I always run solo on my first play though. With past Halos I have always played the campaign before jumping into multiplayer but, because there is no beta for Halo 4, I will probably play a few matches of MP first to satisfy my curiosity about it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm not a fan of the burning through the campaign scenario anymore. I did that with Reach the day it came out and regret it now.

I liked the set up with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST where I took a few days to finish it.

Playing with someone else is going to make it easier and, if anything, make the initial experience shorter. Sounds like the opposite of what you want.

Solo on Heroic for me.

I'd get BL2, but not until the GOTY edition with all the DLC and by then I'm sure no one will be playing anymore so I'll have to solo the game like BL1 and it'll be really boring so I probably just won't get BL2 at all. Oh, and the majority of my battle bros are on 360 anyways and that's gross PC all da way mang.

Ryaaan14

Banned
All of you guys pointing out the flaws with Reach have left out the fact that the game had the worst maps of any Halo game, and perhaps any FPS in general.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I'm not playing with some random, I'm playing with Thermite. We know what we're doing.

Fair enough, but my point is is that it's easier easier with more people. Easier means shorter.

On the bright side, it means you'll have someone to share your "holy shit" and "did you see that" moments with.

I'd be interested to see how your experience goes in co-op after you've beaten it.

Woorloog

Banned
All of you guys pointing out the flaws with Reach have left out the fact that the game had the worst maps of any Halo game, and perhaps any FPS in general.

I'm trying to think some FPS that had Reach-bad maps.
Doesn't help i haven't actually played that many FPS multiplayer... but...

I can think of invidual maps worse than anything on Reach, such as Nuketown (fuck that fucking POS) or some other ridiculously small maps in COD series (when played in standard Team Deathmatch which is what i played, don't know how they work in other modes).

Aggrotek

I can think of invidual maps worse than anything on Reach, such as Nuketown (fuck that fucking POS) or some other ridiculously small maps in COD series (when played in standard Team Deathmatch which is what i played, don't know how they work in other modes).

MW3 maps blow.

Ryaaan14

Banned

There are definitely tons of shitty individual maps that are worse than the maps in Reach, but as a whole I'm not sure any other game has had worse overall.

As for tweaking personal Ordnance Drops: do they use some sort of pathfinder that automatically warps them close to you and they just avoid dropping on/teleporting inside the default map geometry, or are there just a buttload of "POD Spawn Points" placed around the map and they get sent to whichever one's closest to you?

Also, will we have any control over teleporting or dropping them in? I could understand that calculating whether or not a POD can drop inside a Forged map (say, one that's completely enclosed and just ends up landing on the roof outside the map boundaries) might be difficult, but is it an option we can toggle ourselves or do they just all teleport in during custom map matches?

Nuketown was actually one of the only maps I like in later CoD games because people actually stand out on it for me. I hate how everything blends in with the environment.. Too many times have I shot floating pieces of paper in MW1/2 lol

As for tweaking personal Ordnance Drops: do they use some sort of pathfinder that automatically warps them close to you and they just avoid dropping on/teleporting inside the default map geometry, or are there just a buttload of "POD Spawn Points" placed around the map and they get sent to whichever one's closest to you?

Also, will we have any control over teleporting or dropping them in? I could understand that calculating whether or not a POD can drop inside a Forged map (say, one that's completely enclosed and just ends up landing on the roof outside the map boundaries) might be difficult, but is it an option we can toggle ourselves or do they just all teleport in during custom map matches?

Been wondering these same things as I'm sure many others have too, but I wouldn't expect any answers on that until the game ships :b

I just don't know where it seemed like a good idea to have campaign and multiplayer spaces merge.

I didn't mind that considering the maps were [poorly] made for Multiplayer first then fit into the Campaign. I thought it was a cool concept, but lead to too many false misconceptions that the maps were made for Campaign and then thrown into the Multiplayer even though Bungie stated otherwise on many occasions. I think it would've been cool to cross Headlong in Halo 2's Campaign.. just shitpoor Reach maps are shitpoor.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I just don't know where it seemed like a good idea to have campaign and multiplayer spaces merge.
Yep. This was a terrible idea, but I will avoid blaming the shitty quality on that since they claim they created the MP spaces separately and then added them into the campaign. Which is kind of funny because I think they worked quite well in the campaign, but were terrible in multiplayer.

Many of the stock MW3 maps would like a word with you on how shitty they are.
Have never played MW3 but this could very well be true. I definitely noticed a big drop in map quality from from MW to MW2.

Aggrotek

I'd be down. If you're willing to start a new a character a few days after launch. Ordered it from the MS Store, probably won't get it til Thursday or Friday

I just talked to Cyren so I'll be playing Axton with him and u4ix probably. I'd be game for making a second character though. :)

You can knock the campaign for that but not multiplayer. They were multiplayer maps first that were put into campaign.
I mean, for things like Reflection that's completely true, but I have a hard time feeling that way for Boneyard or Spire. Though separate from what was designed for which first, it made for multiplayer maps that didn't feel as fresh to jump into the first time coming from campaign.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yep. This was a terrible idea, but I will avoid blaming the shitty quality on that since they claim they created the MP spaces separately and then added them into the campaign. Which is kind of funny because I think they worked quite well in the campaign, but were terrible in multiplayer.

Have never played MW3 but this could very well be true. I definitely noticed a big drop in map quality from from MW to MW2.
Modern Warfare 3 maps are like....I don't even know what to compare it to. Worse than any of Reach's maps, Forge World or not

I just talked to Cyren so I'll be playing Axton with him and u4ix probably. I'd be game for making a second character though. :)
Sounds good. I have no idea who Axton is, haha.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I mean, for things like Reflection that's completely true, but I have a hard time feeling that way for Boneyard or Spire. Though separate from what was designed for which first, it made for multiplayer maps that didn't feel as fresh to jump into the first time coming from campaign.

Well I can't argue that. If you played campaign first it's obviously not going too feel fresh. Also, those maps aren't very good so that doesn't help either lol

I don't know about you but I literally ran right through Boneyard and Spire when I played the Campaign.. especially because how they set up the missions those maps were in lol - That being said, I actually like the Spire part of Spire, the concept behind it. Too bad Halo 2's Tower of Power wasn't revived for it ;[

Heroic Solo. I am doing a campaign legendary playthrough with my best friend at the launch weekend. Playing through Halo 3 legendary and jump directly into Halo 4. :p

Karl2177

I'm not a designer (aside from a few Forge maps lol), but there was definitely some influence on the MP team that the maps were going to be used in Campaign. I'd say the biggest one was probably Sword Base. It is a very linear path to the top, and the middle lift seems quite shoehorned in.

In my opinion, MW had some greats and the rest were okay. Then MW2 had a few bad maps and the rest were okay. MW3 has a few okay maps and the rest are awful.

Campaign Solo - Heroic
Spartan Ops Solo - Heroic (Week 1 content)

War Games until enough buddies catch up.

Campaign Co-Op - Legendary
Spartan Ops Co-Op - Legendary

War Games until Spartan Ops Week 2 content is released.

kylej

Banned
It has button mapping.

I beat Enslaved yesterday. While dicking around in the options menu I noticed you can control the sensitivity of the X axis and the Y axis independently. I'm glad I can control it in a weird French single player game about the apocalypse, but not in a competitive first person shooter.

343 never stops pushing the boundaries of player choice.

Campaign Solo - Heroic
Spartan Ops Solo - Heroic (Week 1 content)

War Games until enough buddies catch up.

Campaign Co-Op - Legendary
Spartan Ops Co-Op - Legendary

War Games until Spartan Ops Week 2 content is released.

I forgot about partan Ops.... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeet!

crazybydefault

Neo Member
I always do a campaign runthrough solo my first time around. Talking with whoever I'm playing with often leads to missing out on little details and whatnot.

I'll probably play it on Normal the first time through, so I don't wind up getting killed while looking at all of the aforementioned details!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I beat Enslaved yesterday. While dicking around in the options menu I noticed you can control the sensitivity of the X axis and the Y axis independently. I'm glad I can control it in a weird French single player game about the apocalypse, but not in a competitive first person shooter.

343 never stops pushing the boundaries of player choice.

Kyle pls.

Ninja Theory is in England

Kyle pls.

Ninja Theory is in England

hahah totally not what I was expecting..

fdsfds5785.gif

Top Bottom