• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

TheOddOne

I beat Enslaved yesterday. While dicking around in the options menu I noticed you can control the sensitivity of the X axis and the Y axis independently. I'm glad I can control it in a weird French single player game about the apocalypse, but not in a competitive first person shooter.

343 never stops pushing the boundaries of player choice.
Joking aside, what did you think of the game? I liked the story, but the combat ruined the game for me to some extent.

I beat Enslaved yesterday. While dicking around in the options menu I noticed you can control the sensitivity of the X axis and the Y axis independently. I'm glad I can control it in a weird French single player game about the apocalypse, but not in a competitive first person shooter.

343 never stops pushing the boundaries of player choice.

Enslaved was OUTSTANDING in my opinion. Hope you enjoyed it :)

I mean, for things like Reflection that's completely true, but I have a hard time feeling that way for Boneyard or Spire. Though separate from what was designed for which first, it made for multiplayer maps that didn't feel as fresh to jump into the first time coming from campaign.

This is one of the things I most missed: MP maps that were NOT maps/environments used in campaign. I always loved that the MP maps were (mostly) set in alternate locations.

In regards to pre-Halo4 time killers... I'm trying to finish up Crysis 2 and Red Faction: Armageddon, and I've got Forza Horizon and Assassin's Creed 3 coming the two weeks preceding H4.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I thought Enslaved was fantastic. Combat had some issues at times but it was a great sleeper hit. Ending was odd, but I didn't mind it. Just wish they could do a sequel.

LD2k

Neo Member
The only Halo 4 time-killer I need is Borderlands 2. Hurry up!!
It's AWESOME. I enjoyed the first one - and working for 2K - I was lucky enough to play some with the video team. It's incredibly fun. Office is NUTS with XCOM, BL2 and NBA 2K13 all about to drop soon. I can't wait to get that thing they call sleep soon ;)

kylej

Banned
The framerate and camera gave me motion sickness multiple times throughout the game. The story fell apart at the end (... really, a ripoff of The Matrix was the best conclusion y'all could think of?), the combat was godawful, a lot of the platforming devolved into spamming the A button over and over again, and some of the pacing was pretty wonky, but the character interaction was great and many of the environments were beautiful.

Actually the environments are probably the most impressive I've seen in a game, I'm surprised that team wasn't ransacked post-release by publishers who wanted some of that talent. Certainly a labor of love. Oh and pretty decent set pieces. Trip was hot too, like half her ass was exposed by a tear in one side of her weird brown jean pant things and her tatas were popping out the whole time. Bonus points for that.

I also beat Driver San Francisco on Friday which was pretty nuts. Now I'm playing ME3 which seems completely awesome. Trying to clear out ye olde backlog before the fall rush.

Actually the environments are probably the most impressive I've seen in a game, I'm surprised that team wasn't ransacked post-release by publishers who wanted some of that talent. Certainly a labor of love. Oh and pretty decent set pieces. Trip was hot too, like half her ass was exposed by a tear in one side of her weird brown jean pant things and her tatas were popping out the whole time. Bonus points for that.

I also beat Driver San Francisco on Friday which was pretty nuts. Now I'm playing ME3 which seems completely awesome. Trying to clear out ye olde backlog before the fall rush.

Definitely with you on the environments and character interaction. The characters were some of the most impressive I've ever seen.

And ME3 was great. Just finished Leviathan. Loregasmic goodness.

Havok

In regards to pre-Halo4 time killers... I'm trying to finish up Crysis 2 and Red Faction: Armageddon, and I've got Forza Horizon and Assassin's Creed 3 coming the two weeks preceding H4.
Sadly, the only thing Red Faction: Armageddon kills is whatever remaining love the player might have for the Red Faction franchise. Coming off Guerilla, a fantastic game, they make an entire game out of Halo 3's Cortana level. Not even a magnet gun could save it.

kylej

Banned
Definitely with you on the environments and character interaction. The characters were some of the most impressive I've ever seen.

And ME3 was great. Just finished Leviathan. Loregasmic goodness.

Yeah I'm only 3 or 4 hours in but... I don't quite see all the furor. It's more Mass Effect. I love Mass Effect so... it seems pretty awesome? I already had the original ending spoiled for me but I don't see how that was such a huge deal, maybe it was how they handled it. All I know is I'm chatting around space like a motherfucker and shooting dudes and it rules.

Sadly, the only thing Red Faction: Armageddon kills is whatever remaining love the player might have for the Red Faction franchise. Coming off Guerilla, a fantastic game, they make an entire game out of Halo 3's Cortana level. Not even a magnet gun could save it.

Guerilla is definitely in my top ten games this gen.

Let's never talk about armageddon ever again.

Yeah I'm only 3 or 4 hours in but... I don't quite see all the furor. It's more Mass Effect. I love Mass Effect so... it seems pretty awesome? I already had the original ending spoiled for me but I don't see how that was such a huge deal, maybe it was how they handled it. All I know is I'm chatting around space like a motherfucker and shooting dudes and it rules.

found mass effect 3 disappointing. beat 1 and 2 but just cant get around to beating 3. im at least half way through but the game just got repetitive and boring

I guess Murder Miners shows how having base sprint can work in a Halo game.

I agree. Halo 1 gameplay with Sprint (some maps would need to have a little more space to run around in) would've been great. The quick kill times alone would balance Sprint more than enough IMO

nillapuddin

Trip is like the tastiest piece of bitch in video games, so yeah, Enslaved was pretty awesome.

Cortana_Halo_4.png

sad cortana is sad

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I think most people loved 90% of Mass Effect 3, the uproar is the ending. You'll see why when you get there, and can make a decision about which side of that whole debate you are on. If you had it spoiled that will soften the blow, but it's overall just a very weird ending to the game.

I'm still unsure on how I feel about it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
M30. I'm just sayin'

That's Halo right thar. There is stuff happening in the 3rd level...

Hard to adequately explain. Just gave me flashbacks. And when that music kicks in when that one thing happens...

sorry. Tried to avoid being a tease all year but that honestly moved me

M30. I'm just sayin'

Hard to adequately explain. Just gave me flashbacks. And when that music kicks in when that one thing happens...

ib0Alfk2NJqn7X.gif

feel

I guess Murder Miners shows how having base sprint can work in a Halo game.
There's sprint AND thrusters, and it doesn't bother me there because it's fluid going from one of them into the shooting and back. Reach (and probably Halo 4) wish they could handle that transition as well lol. I've had some epic 1v1 gunfights already.

TheOddOne

M30. I'm just sayin'

Man, you dropped the flag.

Gui_PT

M30. I'm just sayin'

KZphV.gif

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
M30. I'm just sayin'

SoGood.gif

M30. I'm just sayin'

Mmh. Is that one of these moments? [add "My mind freaked out, my mouth went blaaarrgh scene/gif]

"Spartan Commander"? For both Crimson & Majestic Squad?
Along with maybe 2 Squad Leaders playing "War Games" aboard the Infinity Holo-Deck as a means of rivalry and sportsmanship?
I wouldn't trust IMdb.

So I wanna read some Halo books since I haven't read any since I was in high school. Probably gonna order Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx from Amazon. The Flood is bad right? I should stay away from it? And how is First Strike? Hell, someone just tell me what's good and what's bad please.

The whole "tactical error" bit makes me just want to stay the hell away from Contact Harvest.

Ryaaan14

Banned
M30. I'm just sayin'

I'm very ok with these kind of teases. I always find it particularly awesome when something is specifically teased in a game that I can go back to after playing the game and say "Ahh, so that's what he was talking about".

So I wanna read some Halo books since I haven't read any since I was in high school. Probably gonna order Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx from Amazon. The Flood is bad right? I should stay away from it? And how is First Strike? Hell, someone just tell me what's good and what's bad please.

The whole "tactical error" bit makes me just want to stay the hell away from Contact Harvest.
If you want to get prepared for Halo 4, you should definitely try the Forerunner books. Then FoR, FS, GoO and Glasslands.

Havok

Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Glasslands, the upcoming Thursday War, and the two Greg Bear books seem to be what I'd consider required reading.

I liked Evolutions, but it's not super important in the grand scheme of things. I didn't care for Contact Harvest, though I'm in the minority on that one, or Cole Protocol. As you mentioned, The Flood is best ignored.

nillapuddin

First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx + Glasslands = Highly Recommend.

If your gunna get GoO, def pick up Glasslands

(I recommend all the books, cause I love em, but trying to pick fantastic and relevant books)

Top Bottom