• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

replaying halo 2 over the last few nights, im on the last 3 levels so I should be finishing up that as soon as this starts in the morning...working late shift works in my favor for once

Lazslo

So I was bored tonight and went back and watched the Making of Halo 2 documentary and it ssparked a question: Where does the Arbiter play into Reach? Is it possible that he could make an appearance back when he still had some covenant dignity. I'm not exactly a Halo fiction prodigy, but is it plausible that we could run into the Arbiter on the planet Reach?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lazslo said:
So I was bored tonight and went back and watched the Making of Halo 2 documentary and it ssparked a question: Where does the Arbiter play into Reach? Is it possible that he will could an appearance back when he still have covenant dignity. I'm not exactly a Halo fiction prodigy, but is it plausible that we could run into the Arbiter on the planet Reach?

I would bet on it, especially with the dialogue in Halo 2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lazslo said:
So I was bored tonight and went back and watched the Making of Halo 2 documentary and it ssparked a question: Where does the Arbiter play into Reach? Is it possible that he will could an appearance back when he still have covenant dignity. I'm not exactly a Halo fiction prodigy, but is it plausible that we could run into the Arbiter on the planet Reach?

I could see them putting some kind of Easter egg in the game that shows the Arbiter back when he was full force Covenant, but I am not sure about directly impacting the story as he was pretty much a typical Elite around the time of Reach I believe.

Lazslo said:

That would be awesome if done correctly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Church RvB said:
That would be awesome if done correctly.

Actually, I take back what I said about counting on it. There would be no reason to. You can't understand ANY of the covenant this go around. He would just be any other elite showing up going "WORT WORT WORT."

Kapura

Banned
IIRC, the Arbiter was a zealot on the first Halo ring prior to Halo CE. I can check, though.

Ha ha disregard that I suck at memory. He was supreme commander of the forces over Reach, and he pursued the MC to the halo, which he failed to prevent asploding.

Wiggum2007

Alienshogun said:
Actually, I take back what I said about counting on it. There would be no reason to. You can't understand ANY of the covenant this go around. He would just be any other elite showing up going "WORT WORT WORT."

Except it would be Keith David going "WORT WORT WORT"!

Kibbles

Maybe you board his vessel as the Pillar of Autumn approaches Halo and you try and divert their attention to yourself, only to die at the future Arbiter's hands. Muahahhaha

Kapura said:
IIRC, the Arbiter was a zealot on the first Halo ring prior to Halo CE. I can check, though.

Pretty sure that is correct. He became the Arbiter because of his failure during the events of H1.

Red

Deadly Cyclone said:
I could see them putting some kind of Easter egg in the game that shows the Arbiter back when he was full force Covenant, but I am not sure about directly impacting the story as he was pretty much a typical Elite around the time of Reach I believe.
I could be wrong, but wasn't a lot of the Arbiter's story revealed in book The Flood? Wasn't he the elite that had his story told? Does that mention anything of Reach?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Totally unrelated, but has anyone else been unable to use custom content in Halo 3? I was just playing a few games and went to check Theatre and I'm "banned" from viewing my own content or even play Customs. :lol =\

ElRenoRaven

In my opinion it's not a good ARG if it is obvious what it's for right off the bat. As a result I doubt it considering how all the other ARGs started.

I could always be wrong though.

Oozer3993

Wiggum2007 said:
Except it would be Keith David going "WORT WORT WORT"!

Not when you activate the "That's What She Said" skull, which translates all the Covenant dialogue!*

In case you couldn't tell, that's not a real skull. I made it up.

^ Not a real spoiler.

MrBig said:
Some sort of story - http://haloreach2storage.blob.core.windows.net/global/xml/reachconfig.xml?r=946
Possible spoilers, I only read a couple of lines and stopped just in case
Anyone try the point of light thing? I don't feel like linking my facebook account to it

Also, if anyone still has it open in a tab, keep it up, they've blocked access and I lost it on accident.

There are commented out links to several videos at the end of that XML file. There also appears to be a conversation that could be spoilery (I didn't read it) about 2/3rds of the way down the page.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
WOAH, some potentially big spoilers

EDIT: Teaser video here http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=3414528

" Don't worry Sophie, we'll get you another one next Saturday.
The timing is insane.
We can't live in this Kiva anymore. Manassas is the only choice.
And leave my family? We've been here for three generations.
You think I could just up and go?
Why not?
I don't want you to go.
Oh Gabe, I have to
Why?
Because the company needs me to.
I'll tell you what, if you're a good boy, and take care of daddy for me...
I will bring you back a present ok?
It’s only 3 days Gabe. I’ll be back in no time.
I’ll talk to you every night before you go to bed, ok?

Attention! The following flights have been cancelled...

There is nothing in Visegrad anymore. It’s dying. Right along with this farm.
I’m so sick of the argument. If we go, how are you going to support us?
I’ll find a job. Alright? Two if I have to. Things will get better.
You don’t know that.
Maybe not. But it’s better than staying here and having no future at all.

Heard Noble Team had an interesting morning.
Yeah they surprised a couple of SCIs trying to hijack a supply transport.
Innies never even saw them.
Insurgents vs. Spartans? That's not even a fight.
Well that's probably why...
Charlie. Come in.
Charlie. Copy.
Prep your team for immediate mobilization to Visegrad
We've lost contact with the Comm Relay Hub.
Possible insurrectionist activity.
Roger. We're on the way. 3 Charlie, out.
It's not enough we fight the covenant?
We have to come back down here and get attacked by our own people as well?
That's the job.
And you can bet there will be more fires to put out tomorrow... so stay focused.
Let's move.

Mik2121

Hydranockz said:
Mik's earlier display got me in a creative mood and I thought I would share this pic I sketched from Carter's render on bnet.

http://i36.tinypic.com/mlgsvs.jpg[IMG]

Zeouterlimits is representing IrishHaloGaf at GamesCom wooot :p[/QUOTE]
Looks great!.

(I just woke up now, so I might do some more props for that comic to use around whenever I decide to actually do a comic)

Oh, also, are we going to use this thread from now on and until the next announcement / official thread?

Blueblur1

Mik2121 said:
Looks great!.

(I just woke up now, so I might do some more props for that comic to use around whenever I decide to actually do a comic)

Oh, also, are we going to use this thread from now on and until the next announcement / official thread?
Most likely, yes.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Commander Carter
S259
Spartan MKIII
(P)MOS: 180A
Durban, Biko
27-08-2520
Service: [2520 – Present
MIA

If not for his leadership on Reach,
all would have been lost.

An everlasting testament to fortitude,
defiant in the face of adversity.

Born of unbreakable will,
it was he who led Noble in its finest hour.

Courageously guiding them to victory,
no matter how high the cost.

In recognition of this, his steadfast resolution,
we honor him as Commander of Noble.

They have profiles on Noble Team on there too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Blueblur1 said:
Totally not highlighting that. It begins! :O

its just ARG stuff.... likely will have next to nothing to do with the actual game, other then backstory

MrDaravon

Blueblur1 said:
Totally not highlighting that. It begins! :O

Totally highlighting that. It's actually kind of refreshing to not be very concerned about spoiling the game for myself; I'm not LOOKING to have the end ruined for me or anything, but I can't say I'm going to go to great lengths to avoid spoilers like previous games personally.

Lazslo

I smell an ARG. Does anyone else smell that sweet, sweet air? I think I'm believing to hard. I'm not highlighting anything so can anyone tell me if it's an ARG or not. Dani is probably so happy, he loves ARG's more then anyone evar.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
op_ivy said:
its just ARG stuff.... likely will have next to nothing to do with the actual game, other then backstory

Indeed, although I know from other campaign info that one of the first missions is
on a farm,
and the info kind of alludes to that and Noble team thinking
they would be facing insurgents

Also wasn't
Sophie the girl from ODST audio logs?

Oozer3993

Deadly Cyclone said:
WOAH, some potentially big spoilers

EDIT: Teaser video here http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?p=3414528

" Don't worry Sophie, we'll get you another one next Saturday.
The timing is insane.
We can't live in this Kiva anymore. Manassas is the only choice.
And leave my family? We've been here for three generations.
You think I could just up and go?
Why not?
I don't want you to go.
Oh Gabe, I have to
Why?
Because the company needs me to.
I'll tell you what, if you're a good boy, and take care of daddy for me...
I will bring you back a present ok?
It’s only 3 days Gabe. I’ll be back in no time.
I’ll talk to you every night before you go to bed, ok?

Attention! The following flights have been cancelled...

There is nothing in Visegrad anymore. It’s dying. Right along with this farm.
I’m so sick of the argument. If we go, how are you going to support us?
I’ll find a job. Alright? Two if I have to. Things will get better.
You don’t know that.
Maybe not. But it’s better than staying here and having no future at all.

Heard Noble Team had an interesting morning.
Yeah they surprised a couple of SCIs trying to hijack a supply transport.
Innies never even saw them.
Insurgents vs. Spartans? That's not even a fight.
Well that's probably why...
Charlie. Come in.
Charlie. Copy.
Prep your team for immediate mobilization to Visegrad
We've lost contact with the Comm Relay Hub.
Possible insurrectionist activity.
Roger. We're on the way. 3 Charlie, out.
It's not enough we fight the covenant?
We have to come back down here and get attacked by our own people as well?
That's the job.
And you can bet there will be more fires to put out tomorrow... so stay focused.
Let's move.

If I'm reading the code right, those are captions for some videos that will be put up on the site. So if you're at Spoiler Level Beta* (only looking at official materials) you're probably ok to highlight it.

Oozer's Trademark Pending Spoiler Levels:

Alpha: The Man Who Knows Nothing. Won't look at anything, even officially released. Curses urk's verbosity and silently wishes the Weekly Updates to be nothing more than Blame Stosh.
Beta: Close your eyes Marion! Will watch and read anything officially released, but treats spoiler text like the Ark of the Covenant.
Gamma: I didn't make the Brinks truck crash, but I couldn't just let the bundles of cash sit on the road. Won't actively seek out spoilers, but if they happen upon them, they won't fight the urge to peruse.
Delta: I can quit any time I want! Has worn out his Google searching for spoilers. Has fought the urge to visit the seedier parts of the internet for a fix.
Epsilon: We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot, drink up me hearties yo ho! Actively searches for torrents. Will probably be banned from B.net for a flippant "Oh yeah, the Master Chief dies" type comment. Has multiple x's in Gamertag has debated moving to France.

Timan

Developer
I was just thinking, has anyone seen anything on TV for Reach yet? Halo3 you saw commercials every 2 min, I've seen jack all so far for this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
op_ivy said:

It's NPC dialogue from settlers and Noble team dialogue from the beginning pre-invasion I would bet.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Deadly Cyclone said:
Indeed, although I know from other campaign info that one of the first missions is
on a farm,
and the info kind of alludes to that and Noble team thinking
they would be facing insurgents

we have known that for a VERY long time though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Timan said:
I was just thinking, has anyone seen anything on TV for Reach yet? Halo3 you saw commercials every 2 min, I've seen jack all so far for this.

The campaign trailer has been on a ton on Discovery, MTV, Comedy Central, and Spike. I have seen it quite a bit now.

Lazslo

Ahh- I can't tell what's part of the ARG and what's not. I want to read the stuff that the kid found but I'm afraid I'll ruin the game, if there is a game.

Top Bottom