• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

The revenant looks like it's heavily balanced towards anti infantry, with a big splash on that cannon but it seems to barely scratch the tank. Could be cool, better than the other forgetable attempts at covenant warthog esque vehicles.

The chopper will still be sorely missed :(

feel

well, that sucks. :/

GodfatherX said:
That's weird I swear I saw a line of choppers in the Forge World vidoc when they were talking about rube Goldberg machines

sucks that it's gone, I like it better then the mongoose
that was Halo 3 footage

Falagard

Urk said:
The Chopper is gone

I had no doubts that it was gone, but it still sucks. Thanks for confirmation.

GodfatherX said:
That's weird I swear I saw a line of choppers in the Forge World vidoc when they were talking about rube Goldberg machines

Those parts of the Vidoc were from Halo 3's Forge, because ... you know... they were talking about Halo 3 forge at the time.

Ramirez

At this point, we've seen space combat, FF, Forge, all but 3 of the MP maps, and a new vehicle. Is there anything else left to be revealed you think? I know we get campaign stuff next week, but I'm assuming most of the major stuff has been revealed. I don't think they would hold on to the chopper reveal as if it's some huge thing...I just want to see EazyB's bitter tears. The Revenant looks pretty awesome if you ask me, I'm not for sure, but if it fires faster than a Wraith, wouldn't it be great for taking down Falcons?

Is it time to start talking about level names? Have we run out of things to talk about already?

Is it time to start meta discussions yet?

Drop some new info on us urk and save us!

Gui_PT

GodfatherX said:

That was Halo 3 footage

Edit: Beaten like the chopper

Pete Rock

Chopper was unique but it had a lot of odd quirks as well, and I'm assuming they decided to can it due in part to shifting the anti-vehicular role onto a broader palette of aa's and other weapons. Most players weren't able to use it as effectively as the other vehicles, at least not immediately, so I can see why it was culled.

Blood clot, ras clot and every type of clot you can think of... hemorrhage is awesome :lol

Is there anything else left to be revealed you think?
Rocket Race playlist :D

Shishka

Works for Bungie
Gui_PT said:
Edit: Beat like the chopper

EazyB on suicide watch?

Kapura said:
It makes me happy too. I'm excited to see if Shishka will stop in and say "This is how the spawning system works" even if it's in very general terms. I doubt he will, but I can hope, eh?

I'ma do better than that. Working on it right now, in fact. Hopefully Urk's foray into map design will help figure out how to inunciate the finer details.

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
Wait, they're calling the Blood Gulch remake, Hemorrhage? After a severe loss of blood? REALLY?
Blood Gulch
Coagulation (blood clumping)
Hemorrhage (blood gushing)
urk said:
The Chopper is gone.
I'm honestly crushed. Without wanting to make you guys defensive, I'd love to hear the reasoning; I'm guessing it just didn't fit into the sandbox somehow. I thought the Chopper was the best addition to Halo's sandbox since the Warthog. That said, thanks for confirming and ending the speculation.
Shishka said:
I'ma do better than that. Working on it right now, in fact. Hopefully Urk's foray into map design will help figure out how to inunciate the finer details.
Groovy.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GodfatherX said:

That was Halo 3 footage when they were talking about what fans did with Forge.

Edit: Eh, beaten like a read headed Urk child.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
electricpirate said:
Is it time to start talking about level names? Have we run out of things to talk about already?

No, that is just hype and the wait for the game getting to you.

It is the middle of the week, there will be something tomorrow and then clarification of it in the BWU, just try and remain calm. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
electricpirate said:

get mad

Oh and SwordBase.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Dani said:
Something tomorrow? Are you sure?

No I am not sure, just speculating but it is usually a pretty good assumption.

If nothing tomorrow it will be because there is nothing this week at all...BWU this week could be to hype the stuff we are getting first week of August, the calm before the storm. :D

I'm not sorry to see it gone. The Chopper was pretty unbalanced when put against other vehicles (especially the Warthog)...I think the guns are what makes me feel this way. I think the chopper would've been fairer had the guns been burst fire instead of enabling the player to hold down the trigger for a continuous stream of death. It was a hoot to drive (aside from backing up) though.
Falagard said:
My guess is Paul Bertone didn't like it, so he lobbied to remove it like he did with the BR in ODST. Damn you Bertone!!!
Dual-wielding and BR cut from ODST? Paul is an awesome guy. He should be applauded for those things.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
electricpirate said:

Pro-pipe, *rabble rabble*.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
I'm honestly crushed. Without wanting to make you guys defensive, I'd love to hear the reasoning; I'm guessing it just didn't fit into the sandbox somehow. I thought the Chopper was the best addition to Halo's sandbox since the Warthog. That said, thanks for confirming and ending the speculation.

My guess is Paul Bertone didn't like it, so he lobbied to remove it like he did with the BR in ODST. Damn you Bertone!!!

Ramirez said:
It's as if a million Flight Elites suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

:lol :lol

Dax01 said:
I'm not sorry to see it gone. The Chopper was pretty unbalanced when put against other vehicles (especially the Warthog)...I think the guns are what makes me feel this way. I think the chopper would've been fairer had the guns been burst fire instead of enabling the player to hold down the trigger for a continuous stream of death. It was a hoot to drive (aside from backing up) though.

Really? So you'd rather see it gone than just see them make some minor changes to it?

The Chopper was amazingly fun to drive, and was a great anti-vehicle vehicle as someone else already mentioned. Sad to see it go without an adequate replacement.

Retro

Ramirez said:
Is there anything else left to be revealed you think?

The second campaign that unlocks after beating the game as Noble 6, where you have to board Reach Station Gamma and the UNSC Circumference to destroy its unencrypted NAV Database, save a squad of Marines (including Sergeant Johnson) and escape Reach aboard the Pillar of Autumn... as Master Chief.

:lol

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
That is an argument for tweaking it, not removing it. The Warthog had the turret over heat added, the Banshee has a weapon toggle now, the Chopper could be balanced a bit differently. It was so wonderful to drive. There may well be reasons both fictional (Elites were the forefront of the Covenant war machine at this point, not Brutes) and design.

That said, I'm anxious to see the rest of the vehicles and get a feel for how they handle, and if that role in the sandbox was replaced, or removed.
Falagard said:
Well, one out of two ain't bad.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Bungie hasn't said whether or not you access the Campaign missions via the Campain lobby (a la Halo 3) or if there's a Reach Hub World to explore and access the missions from (a la ODST), have they? That could be a big reveal.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Something about some gadget show or something, it won't be anything big I assume, if it happens at all.

Ah, the UK thing. I hope it's the announcement of the pre-order t-shirt the Germans are getting and not just a football/soccer mini game for DXP weekends.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
Bungie hasn't said whether or not you access the Campaign missions via the Campain lobby (a la Halo 3) or if there's a Reach Hub World to explore and access the missions from (a la ODST), have they? That could be a big reveal.

As long as the story telling and atmosphere is on par with ODST I don't care how they do it, but yeah, that would be a reveal.

GhaleonEB said:
That is an argument for tweaking it, not removing it. The Warthog had the turret over heat added, the Banshee has a weapon toggle now, the Chopper could be balanced a bit differently. It was so wonderful to drive. There may well be reasons both fictional (Elites were the forefront of the Covenant war machine at this point, not Brutes) and design.

That said, I'm anxious to see the rest of the vehicles and get a feel for how they handle, and if that role in the sandbox was replaced, or removed.
That's kind of what I meant to say. I'm not sorry to see it gone in its current form, but if Bungie were to bring it back tweaked/altered to make it more balanced, I'd be all for it.

I wish Bungie had tweaked it instead of taking it out all together.

Dirtbag

The chopper will be missed. I'm curious to see the new covie warthog equivalent. They still haven't gotten that one right. Or maybe they'll scrap it all together, who knows.

Hemorrhage == Hemorrhoids. I will forever think of those two as being similar.

What do you mean a single item from the vast Halo sandbox has been removed?? I am soooo mad a bungle right now!

Ramirez

Dax01 said:

Dual-wielding and BR cut from ODST? Paul is an awesome guy. He should be applauded for those things.

I couldn't care less either way, but the Chopper was the only vehicle in the entire sandbox that took any kind of brain power to use, which is probably why it was removed. :lol

GhaleonEB

Hydranockz said:

What do you mean a single beloved item from the vast Halo sandbox has been removed?? I am soooo mad a bungle right now!
Amended. Pruning the sandbox is quite expected and after Halo 3's cornucopia even necessary, and all the changes to date have made sense in context. Which is why I'm interested to see it in this instance.

Someone should whip up a Chopper 2007-2010 gif, ala Forky and Porky.
Ramirez said:

So Reach is basically just one big F U to EazyB, I like where this is headed.
On second thought this is a decision I can get fully behind.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
I couldn't care less either way, but the Chopper was the only vehicle in the entire sandbox that took any kind of brain power to use, which is probably why it was removed. :lol

Wat? It's just as easy to get kills with it as any other vehicle. Easier than some in fact.

Falagard

Hydranockz said:

What do you mean a single item from the vast Halo sandbox has been removed?? I am soooo mad a bungle right now!

It's more like one of the core vehicles, and one of the most used vehicles in multiplayer. Warthog, Ghost, Mongoose, Chopper. The rest were used less because of their tendency to dominate during multiplayer matches.

Essentially that's losing one of the 4 core vehicles. I'm not sold on the new mini wraith, but hopefully we see the Falcon as a good addition to vehicle maps.

Shishka said:
Awesome!!!

So long, Choppie. I feel like we didn't get to know each other as well as we could have. At least we'll always have Uplift Reserve...

Ramirez said:
It's as if a million Flight Elites suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Also, Greg Bear Forerunner Novel notes (for those who didn't see the panel)

-Human-Forerunner contact first 12 pages or so (probably an intro).

-Predictions from fans about the content of the novel - none of them are right for how the novel is going. The job given to Greg Bear is to 1-up fans expectations and imaginations.

-The book is about Conflict and growth; delves into human origins and why they are confused.

-The book will talk about the creation of the Halo rings!!!! They have been problem solving with Halo continuity peeps about the Halo rings and how they came to be, and how to fit them into Greg's story

-There will be Forerunner-human interaction (again)

Couldn't find a specific non-Reach Halo Comic-Con thread, so I figured here would be good :)

So the Revenant is the thunder powered vehicle urk alluded to yeah? I thouht I saw some lightning effects in voltron's latest video.

I never realised there was so much love fro the one hit wonder that was the Chopper. It's not that sad to see it go really. We have the rocket hog to be our anti vehicle weapon now. The chopper was the infantry splatter fest vehicle and everyone here knows this to be true :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lego Sabre

4838174636_4e47e8b867_m.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Retro said:
The second campaign that unlocks after beating the game as Noble 6, where you have to board Reach Station Gamma and the UNSC Circumference to destroy its unencrypted NAV Database, save a squad of Marines (including Sergeant Johnson) and escape Reach aboard the Pillar of Autumn... as Master Chief.

:lol

*dies*

Ramirez

Dani said:
Wat? It's just as easy to get kills with it as any other vehicle. Easier than some in fact.

You're telling me that getting on any kind of spree with the thing is as easy as the Hog turret, Hornet, Wraith, Ghost, or Tank? Granted on Sandtrap you can take it to the dunes and people can't do much to you, but if you try to take the thing into the action it has the least amount of cover and you rarely survive if you go past someone and don't kill them. It's very easy to BR someone out of it from the back/side, and the AR rips it apart as well, not to mention how easy it is to flip it or get it going in some direction that completely kills your momentum.

The only vehicle I can think of that is harder to get a kill with is the Prowler (JD Fox is a pro with this I hear though).

In shishka we trust.

This is exactly the words that come out of my mouth every time I get 4v4 Rockets on Valhalla.

Alienshogun said:
They need to remove the needler.

I would pay half of what's in my bank just to hear Dax's lament when it's removed. :lol :lol :lol
The amount of needler centric halo demographics are far beyond what we are aware.

Kapura

Banned
They should just cut anything that isn't the AR because then everybody will be on a level playing field and only skilled players will be able to use it at range.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hydranockz said:
The amount of needler centric halo demographics are far beyond what we are aware.

Needler is by far my favorite Halo weapon. You wouldn't believe how many times every weapon has been taken but the needler remains.

Also how many times people run straight at you when you have the Needler. :lol

Top Bottom