• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lazslo said:
So I don't know if this has been discussed or noticed, I'm sure it has but do we know what "Boardwalk", "Countdown", "Asylum", and "Zealot" look like? I'm guessing Zealot must be that my infamous Covy Map.

Wasn't zealot one of the leaked maps?

feel

Never realized before today that motion comics based on a couple of the stories of Halo Evolutions existed. Watching them now. They are beautiful to look at, and the voice acting and sound have been good.
I didn't enjoy Halo Legends, and even with almost no animation I find this much better.

Alienshogun said:
Wasn't zealot one of the leaked maps?

Yes, it was. It was described as a 'larger midship', with a lower portion and the ability to get out of the ship (with different gravity). Asylum is the Sanctuary remake.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Church RvB said:
Yes, it was. It was described as a 'larger midship', with a lower portion and the ability to get out of the ship (with different gravity). Asylum is the Sanctuary remake.

I thought it sounded familiar.

halo_reach.jpg

Perhaps old but a lol is a lol.

EazyB

Banned
Lazslo said:
Also, Urk that new feature on B.net that shows how to make a forge map is awesome however, next time could you throw down a Spartan and take a screenshot to give some perspective to how big the map is. It's kinda hard to tell how big each piece is if you have never used that Forge pallet.
Neato, would love to see more of this (and any other Forge coverage).

When I'm finished, I’m going to submit my creation through some of the same channels and mechanisms you’ll be using post-launch so you can see what the process might be like in Reach.
Elaborate please.

Louis Wu said:
Microsoft is pleased with the buzz. :(
And every other media outlet is pissed they don't get the clicks.

Kapura

Banned
Kibbles said:
Yeah I'm digging this new Incompetent Cartographer series. Anything with forge is an automatic win.
It makes me happy too. I'm excited to see if Shishka will stop in and say "This is how the spawning system works" even if it's in very general terms. I doubt he will, but I can hope, eh? Also, I'm working on a new fjsal to accompany my sad about podcats being absent.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kapura said:
It makes me happy too. I'm excited to see if Shishka will stop in and say "This is how the spawning system works" even if it's in very general terms. I doubt he will, but I can hope, eh? Also, I'm working on a new fjsal to accompany my sad about podcats being absent.

Shit that's a good point. I'd love a deep explanation of Reach's spawning system.

Kapura

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Shit that's a good point. I'd love a deep explanation of Reach's spawning system.
Anybody who's tried to make a good quality competitive map wants that. IIRC somebody on forgehub did their best to deduce the inner workings of the spawns, but he used several large assumptions that resulted in them not being reproducible conclusions on real maps. Particularly, I'd like to know what's up with spawn zone priority or how much spawns are favoured if they are close to objectives/teammates. I'd understand if that's giving away way too much to the player about how the system works, let alone other companies takin' Bungie's sauce, but it would make making maps like 200x easier.

re: Podcats:
kcnkg0.png

We have been without podcast since the beginning of June, so nearing two months now. This is not, as we all know, the longest drought from cast to cast, but it makes me sad when Bungie made the internet a promise that they couldn't keep :( But now, what with production all but finished on Reach, and with the moving into the new building starting at the end of this week, the community team that isn't sent abroad can deliver on the audio goodness that we all love. So, I expect weekly podcasts from here on out. Make it happen.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kapura said:
We have been without podcast since the beginning of June, so nearing two months now. This is not, as we all know, the longest drought from cast to cast, but it makes me sad when Bungie made the internet a promise that they couldn't keep :( But now, what with production all but finished on Reach, and with the moving into the new building starting at the end of this week, the community team that isn't sent abroad can deliver on the audio goodness that we all love. So, I expect weekly podcasts from here on out. Make it happen.

Equipment's been broken down and boxed up for a while now. Unless you're looking for me to make a cast via my iPhone, you're gonna have to stick it out.

Spawns are gonna be a pretty interesting point of contention for my little project, I think. I've never placed a single life-giving platter. Shit's about to get real.

Kapura

Banned
urk said:
Equipment's been broken down and boxed up for a while now. Unless you're looking for me to make an ghetto cast via my iPhone, you're gonna have to stick it out.
Yes please. I want an ghetto podcats. No editing, no mercy!

feel

I wouldn't mind the ghetto podcast either. Even if it's just you and brian standing by the watercooler for an hour or two, talking briefly to random people who stop by to rehydrate.

VVV TMI...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
urk said:
Now, see. This is why you can't have nice things.

Something just happened to me today, Urk. Even though it's off topic I need to give you this warning from one parent to another.

Never assume that since the wet wipe on top of the box is sticking out that it's a full box. This will inevitably lead to a child who's diaper is off and poo is flying everywhere while you curse in frustration at your now lack of wipes while trying to open a new box.

Long story short, my wife transferred an almost empty box onto a new box without opening the package in the new box.

Without telling me.

You have been warned!

Edit: Also, after changing a poo diaper. Always, and I mean ALWAYS wash your hands and arms and inspect for poo particles. If you don't, at some point you will eat baby poo.

Trust me. A fresh ham sandwich is ruined when poo from an odd part of your arm makes it's way into your mouth.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Alienshogun said:
Something just happened to me today, Urk. Even though it's off topic I need to give you this warning from one parent to another.

Never assume that since the wet wipe on top of the box is sticking out that it's a full box. This will inevitably lead to a child who's diaper is off and poo is flying everywhere while you curse in frustration at your now lack of wipes while trying to open a new box.

Long story short, my wife transferred an almost empty box onto a new box without opening the package in the new box.

Without telling me.

You have been warned!

Edit: Also, after changing a poo diaper. Always, and I mean ALWAYS wash your hands and arms and inspect for poo particles. If you don't, at some point you will eat baby poo.

Trust me. A fresh ham sandwich is ruined when poo from an odd part of your arm makes it's way into your mouth.
No pooh finger to report. Dude is like a little R. Kelly, though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Alienshogun said:

Without telling me.

You have been warned!

I wish I didn't read this.

We lightly passed over the theories of "Humans=Forerunners" and "Humans=/=Forerunners" a few days ago.

I was watching the "Halo universe Panel" footage and during part 4 of the Youtube upload version I noticed something. Does Frankie saying that the upcoming Forerunner novel's first dozen pages will contain "
Human and Forerunner Contact
" mean that Humans are not considered Forerunners officially?

Doodis

Alienshogun said:

Without telling me.

You have been warned!

Don't worry, it gets better. My four-year-old, who has been potty trained for six months or so, decided to take a leak on the kitchen floor today for no good reason. Good times.

Popeck

GhaleonEB said:
Heh. I'd literally just watched it and was coming to post. I'm so glad Race is a full game type again. Racing along the beach looks great.

The driver animations are also nice. Especially in the beginning you can see the spartan swinging from side to side.

Kibbles

Considering GameTrailers.com coverage of Reach at comic-con was pathetic at best, I'm not excited for the GTTV much at all. It's probably just an overview of what was there. GT.com only put up 1 Reach video from the show floor and that was the old (ugly white map) from E3. They didn't bother to put up any footage of Forge or new firefight footage from the show floor, which is totally missing why Reach was there. >_> Hell, I don't think they even put up the Forge World ViDoc yet. *checks* No, they didn't. :lol They do have an interview of Brian Jarrard, complete with footage from the first vidoc and beta!

Voltron64

Okay, I have one more video from Comic-Con. It's a few clips of Hemorrhage edited together. I had some pretty cool moments on the map that unfortunately weren't captured on video. I thought I had some good video of the Revenant in action...no such luck. :| My camerawoman (girlfriend) was probably off playing Kinect or something. :lol
Also, I should have bought an HD camera for comic-con because my point and shoot is horrible for capturing video. I thought there would be lots of new footage...I thought wrong. Sorry for the horrible quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKjqA3hgL-M

EazyB

Banned
Voltron64 said:
Okay, I have one more video from Comic-Con. It's a few clips of Hemorrhage edited together. I had some pretty cool moments on the map that unfortunately weren't captured on video. I thought I had some good video of the Revenant in action...no such luck. :| My camerawoman (girlfriend) was probably off playing Kinect or something. :lol
Also, I should have bought an HD camera for comic-con because my point and shoot is horrible for capturing video. I thought there would be lots of new footage...I thought wrong. Sorry for the horrible quality!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKjqA3hgL-M
Do vehicles feel more durable?
Is the Falcon anything other than a large hornet with turrets?
Why'd they replace the chopper with a miniature wraith?

Voltron64

EazyB said:
Do vehicles feel more durable?
Is the Falcon anything other than a large hornet with turrets?
Why'd they replace the chopper with a miniature wraith?
The vehicles did feel a bit more durable yes. I'm pretty sure a DMR won't be able to take them down anymore. :lol Tank owned the map though. I witnessed two games that night where the Scorpion turned the tide of the match and took over the game. Also, I was spawn killing like crazy with the Scorpion. The only reason I got out towards the end of the video was to try out the new vehicles and the blue dude came in and foiled my plan, otherwise I probably could have kept spawn killing. Felt a bit like I was playing on Standoff...I talked to Shishka about it and he said there are spawns inside the base and behind cover for safety though. I'm more into a 4 v 4 Type of match, but the chaos on the map had me grinning, so many funny moments. :D I had a lot more fun on Hemorrhage than I ever did on Boneyard.

I really didn't get a chance to try out the Falcon, every time I got in it someone rained on my parade. Your guess is as good as mine!

Only Bungie knows the true fate of the Chopper.

Something that bothered me after the night was over...Why didn't I drive the warthog?! I hated the way they felt in the beta and I never got around to testing them out to see if I felt any changes to how it handled. :/

Too bad none of you guys could make it to Comic-Con. It would have been nice to play this new stuff with you guys there. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it to PAX. :(

Cuban Legend said:
We lightly passed over the theories of "Humans=Forerunners" and "Humans=/=Forerunners" a few days ago.

I was watching the "Halo universe Panel" footage and during part 4 of the Youtube upload version I noticed something. Does Frankie saying that the upcoming Forerunner novel's first dozen pages will contain "
Human and Forerunner Contact
" mean that Humans are not considered Forerunners officially?

The 2 Origins episodes from Legends implied the same thing:
Humans were seen among the races the Forerunners saved thus making them a distinct race

My understanding from this and Halo 3 is that Humans are symbolical heirs to the Forerunners in the sense that they could become the next Forerunners, not that they're strictly descended from them?

EazyB

Banned
Voltron64 said:
The vehicles did feel a bit more durable yes. I'm pretty sure a DMR won't be able to take them down anymore. :lol Tank owned the map though. I witnessed two games that night where the Scorpion turned the tide of the match and took over the game. Also, I was spawn killing like crazy with the Scorpion. The only reason I got out towards the end of the video was to try out the new vehicles and the blue dude came in and foiled my plan, otherwise I probably could have kept spawn killing. Felt a bit like I was playing on Standoff...I talked to Shishka about it and he said there are spawns inside the base and behind cover for safety though. I'm more into a 4 v 4 Type of match, but the chaos on the map had me grinning, so many funny moments. :D I had a lot more fun on Hemorrhage than I ever did on Boneyard.
Your video actually had me more excited to play blood gulch than I thought I'd ever be. When I start to think about it too much I convince myself the sniper and scorpion will make it frustrating though, I honestly don't see anything but a laser or plasma launcher taking out a tank in a elevated position.

Voltron64 said:
Too bad none of you guys could make it to Comic-Con. It would have been nice to play this new stuff with you guys there. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it to PAX. :(
Bummer, woulda been awesome.

Top Bottom