• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Live Action Ad

GhaleonEB

Because it shouldn't be buried in the GamesCom thread.

Youtube | Note: People are posting campaign spoilers in the youtube comments. Be careful.

High quality WMV download (Click on "Deliver Hope".)

I thought it was better than the Halo 3 diorama, which I was not fond of, by a wide margin.

From the other thread, regarding the context of the ad, from Bungie:

ManCannon said:
I've spoiler tagged our perspective on this ad:

you guys nailed it - essentially this is Kat pre-arm loss - the mission in which she lost it - and presumably the original noble six you replace at the start of Reach the game. This was Bungies position, that it's not actually on Reach - but its intentionally nebulous. Casual fans won't care and will assume it's Reach, hardcore fans know it cant be. You guys are Halo CSI - can't get nuthin past you :D

Great trailer! :D

May as well bring ManCannon's post over here too:
ManCannon said:
Speculation is awesome. :)
I've spoiler tagged our perspective on this ad:

you guys nailed it - essentially this is Kat pre-arm loss - the mission in which she lost it - and presumably the original noble six you replace at the start of Reach the game. This was Bungies position, that it's not actually on Reach - but its intentionally nebulous. Casual fans won't care and will assume it's Reach, hardcore fans know it cant be. You guys are Halo CSI - can't get nuthin past you :D

Glad people enjoy it, turned out pretty sweet overall IMO.

Time for mega marketing to glass your wallets. :lol

Edit - I see you've just added it!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
As always amazing.

And they'll probably prove yet again that they can't capture any of that atmosphere in their games.

Pumped for Reach!

Awesome, thanks for the post Brian, and apologies to Mik for doubting you, I had thought when the pics leaked that she had had the robotic arm.

derFeef

I am just happy that my favourite Spartan from Noble Team gets the most sreentime. :D
Very awesome trailer. No make me a movie :p

jagowar

Watching stuff like that just make me more mad the Halo movie still hasn't been made. We really need a big breakout videogame movie and halo could have been it (don't really see any of the other videogame movies in the works being that big breakout hit assuming they ever get made).

gdt5016 said:
That's like two/three weeks away though.

IIRC the Halo 3 'Believe' campaign didn't ramp up until 2 weeks from launch. Apparently Reach's campaign is MS's biggest spend on advertising a game yet.

gdt

GarthVaderUK said:
IIRC the Halo 3 'Believe' campaign didn't ramp up until 2 weeks from launch. Apparently Reach's campaign is MS's biggest spend on advertising a game yet.

Really? My memory must be hazy then, I guess.

Akia

Are there going to be more ads like this? Man this was strangely emotional and I'm not even a Halo fan. I think its because it looked like there was a lady in the armor.

Very nice, but I still feel nothing like I did during the Halo 1, 2, 3 launches. I blame ODST and Wars, for making this less epic than it should!

Very nice humming music:D

Akia said:
Are there going to be more ads like this? Man this was strangely emotional and I'm not even a Halo fan. I think its because it looked like there was a lady in the armor.
There was. Her name is Kat. She's a character in Reach.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I love the high concept of these ads, considering the primary demographic of those that play it :lol

Comments on the video, hell, even the Monument website, look how the only clear things to come in so far are the guns - not the faces of the character, and the female Spartan is barely lit up. Oh well. They know what their doing, that demo will buy the game regardless. So let's class up the consumer conversation to convert the nonbelievers! (hint: it works)

ShapeGSX

Dabanton said:
Well the game isn't out until September 14th i expect they'll be ramping up soon.

They've actually been running Reach TV ads for the past ~month. And they ran a ton of TV ads just for the Halo Reach Beta.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Shake Appeal said:
Oh, u mean 18-35 year-olds?

I'm not talking about the marketing sell sheet target market.
I'm talking about the multiplayer voice chatters.

John Harker said:
I'm not talking about the marketing sell sheet target market.
I'm talking about the multiplayer voice chatters.
In my experience, they are predominantly 18-35 too. Vast bulk seem college-aged.

I mean, there's no doubting there are plenty of kids playing Halo, but it's a Mature-rated game, and its ads and marketing are typically aimed at the people who care about its fiction and other elements beside screeching obscenities in a multiplayer lobby.

Miggytronz

metareferential said:
Delivered.

AVVI.jpg

...Here's my thing: I think the trailer looks (aesthically) awesome, it visually conveys the world of Halo perfectly. But on a emotional level, it lacked weight. I felt nothing whatsoever. I assume its because I'm not familiar (nor particularly interested..) in the halo lore, history, etc.

Scarecrow

Man, Halo armor looks pretty goofy in real life.

On a related note, has anyone seen that recent phone(?) commercial where they have a Master Chief-alike character running around fighting aliens? When I first saw that I thought it was for Reach :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
John Harker said:
I love the high concept of these ads, considering the primary demographic of those that play it :lol

Comments on the video, hell, even the Monument website, look how the only clear things to come in so far are the guns - not the faces of the character, and the female Spartan is barely lit up. Oh well. They know what their doing, that demo will buy the game regardless. So let's class up the consumer conversation to convert the nonbelievers! (hint: it works)
I think they do that on purpose. It's an interesting change since most western media puts the focus on the characters. In Halo the focus is on the events.

Top Bottom