• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Halo Reach: new game in the Halo Universe

MechDX

Member
Feb 22, 2007
46,899
0
0
NeoUltima said:
"Reach" huh...sounds like something that will use the new motion camera.




Actually a prequel story to HALO CE that was released around HALO2.

Product Description
As the bloody Human-Covenant War rages on Halo, the fate of humankind may rest with one warrior, the lone SPARTAN survivor of another legendary battle . . . the desperate, take-no-prisoners struggle that led humanity to Halo--the fall of the planet Reach. Now, brought to life for the first time, here is the full story of that glorious, doomed conflict.

While the brutal Covenant juggernaut sweeps inexorably through space, intent on wiping out humankind, only one stronghold remains--the planet Reach. Practically on Earth's doorstep, it is the last military fortress to defy the onslaught. But the personnel here have another, higher priority: to prevent the Covenant from discovering the location of Earth.

Outnumbered and outgunned, the soldiers seem to have little chance against the Covenant, but Reach holds a closely guarded secret. It is the training ground for the very first "super soldiers." Code-named SPARTANs, these highly advanced warriors, specially bioengineered and technologically augmented, are the best in the universe--quiet, professional, and deadly.

Now, as the ferocious Covenant attack begins, a handful of SPARTANs stand ready to wage ultimate war. They will kill, they will be destroyed, but they will never surrender. And at least one of them--the SPARTAN known as Master Chief--will live to fight another day on a mysterious and ancient, artificial world called Halo. . . .

Bungie, Halo, Xbox, and the Xbox Logos are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States andor other countries. Used under license. (c) 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved
 

Scottlarock

Banned
Jul 22, 2004
3,120
0
0
GhaleonEB said:
I really don't want to get into this. But it's worth pointing out that Halo 3 added a pretty large number of core gameplay and content changes, including equipment, the heavy class of weapons (turrets, etc) and massive set pieces like the Scarabs, which are entirely AI-driven and not on a linear prescrpted path. There is nothing like the Scarab battles anywhere in the previous two games, in content or execution. And the Brute Chieftains make for some fearsome boss battles, and are likewise entirely AI driven.

And on the feature set front, they added Forge, saved firms, Screenshots, file sharing, online four-player co-op, the campaign scoring system, the skull modifiers and the ridiculously deep bungie.net integration. It is true that the core gameplay has been resilient through the three games. But that's because they nailed it the first time around. They expanded the gameplay feature set quite a bit with each game; comparing the content of the first game to the third highlights just how far it has come. It'd downright silly to claim otherwise.

hes just going to say all of those are minor.
 

J-Rzez

Member
Oct 19, 2005
14,485
3
0
ToyMachine228 said:
B) That Twitter page posted in the Halo 3 thread which stated there are two Halo 3 expansions/spinoffs that exist. One being ODST. I don't think Reach would be considered a Halo 3 expansion however, as I BELIEVE that Reach was destroyed before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved.

Reach wasn't totally annihilated though iirc? Like there were some survivors mentioned? Maybe you're sent back there to look for survivors or lost tech, but instead, it's you who is fighting to survive! It'll be a new Halo survival horror game. :D
 

bloodforge

Member
Sep 10, 2005
3,689
1
0
Haven't really been following the ODST news, but I hope one of these games is a squad based tactical shooter.
 

EternalGamer

Banned
Nov 6, 2006
4,455
0
0
Scottlarock said:
hes just going to say all of those are minor.

You can predict things that happened in the past. Amazing.

But as I already said on the lat page, the scarab fights were truly unique and the one experience with Halo 3 that made me feel like I was playing something unique. I just want more ideas like that.
 

clashfan

Member
Sep 20, 2006
4,665
0
0
EternalGamer said:
You can predict things that happened in the past. Amazing.

But as I already said on the lat page, the scarab fights were truly unique and the one experience with Halo 3 that made me feel like I was playing something unique. I just want more ideas like that.

I like to applaud you for totally derailing this thread. A possible new game in the Halo Universe and you manage to totally destroy the thread. I guess some people just don't want others to enjoy themselves.
 

Ramirez

Member
Jun 7, 2004
34,255
0
1,470
clashfan said:
I like to applaud you for totally derailing this thread. A possible new game in the Halo Universe and you manage to totally destroy the thread. I guess some people just don't want others to enjoy themselves.

Dude, he just wanted us to know how amazing and different MGS3's bosses were, saved films and a youtube like integration on Bnet is old news! I need boss fights where I track down a 100 year old grunt by following his leaking methane tank.
 

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
15,698
4,757
1,765
I want to believe. More Halo is always a good thing. So far all Halo titles have been quality enjoyable experiences for me. Even Halo Wars found a spot in my heart.
 

EternalGamer

Banned
Nov 6, 2006
4,455
0
0
clashfan said:
I like to applaud you for totally derailing this thread. A possible new game in the Halo Universe and you manage to totally destroy the thread. I guess some people just don't want others to enjoy themselves.

I don't see how it's "derailing" a thread to talk about the JUSTIFICATION for the new Halo game the thread is discussing. Unless threads talking about new games are only supposed to be full of "OMG!" hype and never any actual discussion about the potential merits or interesting aspects of the newly announced game.

Nobody is preventing you or anyone else from just yelling a bunch of hype memes. If that is what you want, knock yourself out.
 

LCfiner

Member
Feb 23, 2008
23,028
0
0
Montreal
EternalGamer said:
I don't see how it's "derailing" a thread to talk about the JUSTIFICATION for the new Halo game the thread is discussing. Unless threads talking about new games are only supposed to be full of "OMG!" hype and never any actual discussion about the potential merits or interesting aspects of the newly announced game.

Nobody is preventing you or anyone else from just yelling a bunch of hype memes. If that is what you want, knock yourself out.


wait... MS needs to justify a new Halo game? to whom?
 

EternalGamer

Banned
Nov 6, 2006
4,455
0
0
Ramirez said:
Dude, he just wanted us to know how amazing and different MGS3's bosses were, saved films and a youtube like integration on Bnet is old news! I need boss fights where I track down a 100 year old grunt by following his leaking methane tank.

Yes, because when I was talking about how I'd like to see the Halo series show gameplay evolutions, I meant that it should ape what Metal Gear does. Metal Gear has its own problems as a series, but each game does at least bring a lot of unique gameplay ideas and situitions.
 

The Librarian

Banned
Apr 22, 2008
44,146
1
0
29
EternalGamer said:
I don't see how it's "derailing" a thread to talk about the JUSTIFICATION for the new Halo game the thread is discussing.
Is the thread title about justifying a new Halo game?

If Yes: Proceed.
If No: Proceed to be hypocritical.
 

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Jun 16, 2008
26,367
0
1,190
WA
www.HaloWaypoint.com
Ramirez said:
Dude, he just wanted us to know how amazing and different MGS3's bosses were, saved films and a youtube like integration on Bnet is old news! I need boss fights where I track down a 100 year old grunt by following his leaking methane tank.

Yea and all of the MGS games have amazing and robust online multiplayer modes with things that still haven't been done in the console space.
 
Sep 24, 2007
987
0
1,110
EternalGamer said:
Yes, because when I was talking about how I'd like to see the Halo series show gameplay evolutions, I meant that it should ape what Metal Gear does. Metal Gear has its own problems as a series, but each game does at least bring a lot of unique gameplay ideas and situitions.

Why would they change the gameplay if it isnt broken? What if they changed it then completely ruined the game for the fans?
 

Ramirez

Member
Jun 7, 2004
34,255
0
1,470
EternalGamer said:
Yes, because when I was talking about how I'd like to see the Halo series show gameplay evolutions, I meant that it should ape what Metal Gear does. Metal Gear has its own problems as a series, but each game does at least bring a lot of unique gameplay ideas and situitions.

I was just being stupid really...

I fail to see how some unique boss fights and a camo system are so radically different than stuff like saved films & new weapons.

Buuuuuut, why am I even bothering arguing about this in the first place. :lol

At the end of the day, you're either a fan of a game, or you're not. Perhaps Halo just isn't for you, because a refinement of the CE's gameplay is really all I want out of it. Leave the game changing new ideas for new franchises. (or spin offs like ODST)
 
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Why would they change the gameplay if it isnt broken? What if they changed it then completely ruined the game for the fans?
You know, the funny part about it is that the "small changes" that were made, like the addition of equipment, are some of the most complained-about aspects by the fans. And he's saying it should have changed more.
 

EternalGamer

Banned
Nov 6, 2006
4,455
0
0
LCfiner said:
wait... MS needs to justify a new Halo game? to whom?

If just releasing a product with the words "Halo" slapped in the front are enough justification for you to blindly purchase, then have fun. But I do think there is at least some percentage of consumers that want a new game, whether it be a sequel or a totally new IP, to bring enough new to the table to justify the time and money they will invest into it.
 

clashfan

Member
Sep 20, 2006
4,665
0
0
I think the Metal Gear series is just so unoriginal. I mean come on, every game has "Metal Gear" in the title. How can they justify that?
 

EternalGamer

Banned
Nov 6, 2006
4,455
0
0
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Personally, I bought Halo 2 and 3 because I wanted more of the same. The weapon balance, level design and enemy encounters are what kept me returning- not the possibility of boss battles or new enemy types. Change just for the sake of change would probably hurt the series more than it would help it- you need look no further than Resistance 2 to see what can happen when the developers forget what made the prequel so great in the first place, ultimately resulting in a disjointed, in-cohesive experience.

They may share similar gameplay mechanics and the same sense of level progression, but the set pieces have dramatically grown in scale and the amount of ways in which you can approach them, especially when playing with your friends over XBL, really sets Halo 3 apart from the others. Riding shotgun with a friend in a warthog amidst an incoming scarab attack while your other teammates offer air support is a feeling largely unmatched for me this generation, and I don't remember being able to do anything comparable in the original Halo.

Anyway, Halo: Reach. :lol

Everyone has their own individual threshold for how much of something they find enjoyable before it starts to wear down and seem repetitive. Little kids, for example, can watch the same movies over and over again and never get bored. But regardless adding more variety for those that have a lower threshold wouldn't take away from the experience, it would only improve it for everyone. I wasn't suggesting that Halo should ape MGS by implementing bosses. Rather, the new additions should be an evolution based on what the series has done before. The scarabs are a very good example. But this series could use a lot more new additions like that.
 

ToyMachine228

Member
Jun 13, 2004
15,197
2
1,540
34
USA
www.mayorreynolds.tv
J-Rzez said:
Reach wasn't totally annihilated though iirc? Like there were some survivors mentioned? Maybe you're sent back there to look for survivors or lost tech, but instead, it's you who is fighting to survive! It'll be a new Halo survival horror game. :D

Yeah I think it was glassed so it would still exist I guess. My guess is that if the game is real though, it takes place during the battle for Reach.
 
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
EternalGamer said:
Everyone has their own individual threshold for how much of something they find enjoyable before it starts to wear down and seem repetitive. Little kids, for example, can watch the same movies over and over again and never get bored. But regardless adding more variety for those that have a higher threshold wouldn't take away from the experience, it would only improve it. I wasn't suggesting that Halo should ape MGS by implementing bosses. Rather, the new additions should be an evolution based on what the series has done before. The scarabs are a very good example. But this series could use a lot more new additions like that.
EternalGamer said:
it would only improve it.
lol
 
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
MirageDwarf said:
Cached version...

http://i40.tinypic.com/2r2x88z.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]
How did you find the cache? I can't find it on Google.
 

kylej

Banned
Mar 2, 2006
12,361
0
0
Boston
Whoa not reading this thread just want to say MGS3 singleplayer is astronomically better than any Halo game and I look forward to this new Halo game. Thanks. Peace.
 

Kibbles

Member
Feb 12, 2008
17,117
1
1,110
kylej said:
Whoa not reading this thread just want to say MGS3 singleplayer is astronomically better than any Halo game and I look forward to this new Halo game. Thanks. Peace.
wtf?
 
D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Kibbles said:
Things are starting to get interesting...
Yeah, it looks like quite a few people saw the Reach Forum dropdown before it was removed.