• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinner said:
maybe you should go play call of duty. i heard theres a new one out this year!
Call of duty is a completely different game that requires neither skill, nor a brain to play. Or at least I like to look at it that way. In CoD you die too fast. There is a huge difference. It's one thing to 3 shot someone in the head with a specific weapon, and another thing to just point any gun that you have at someone's crotch and then they die in a matter of seconds. That is Call of Duty for you.

And I never said that I didn't like Reach. Holy shit people Is it a crime to find faults in the game, just because Reach is supposed to be the pinnacle of all halo games? I'm not delusional from all the hype, and I'm not trying to win points from Bungie. Is it a great game? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Don't kid yourselves.

Jex

Blueblur1 said:
Wait, the Drop Shield is available during Oddball games?

smh

That makes no sense. Someone get Jeremiah in here.
I haven't played Oddball yet but that sounds pretty ridiculous.

Maybe this is why it always gets veto'd. That, and no-one likes Oddball to begin with.

Wow everyone loves SWAT. In the BTB playlist just now people voted for None of the Above, and then 10 votes slammed in for Team SWAT on Hemorrhage in seconds.

P.S. Turns out SWAT on a giant open map with 16 players sucks.

dslgunstar said:
And done.

Run up behind a sniper in Pinnacle. Pressed and held the melee button.

Nothing happened.

Not only did I not assassinate him, I didn't even melee him. The game simply did not respond to my button input.

This game is the most inconsistent pile of shit ever made, and I'm done with it.

For tonight.
There must something wrong with your connection because it's not the game. I'm not experiencing any of the problems you are. Especially the one you noted above.
Botolf said:
Man, playing through level 2
(Winter Contingency) a second time really showed me just how open the level is, found more paths and little villas. Using sprint, I found a really tiny path in a mass of cliffs, it was very subtle yet gave a nice advantage against the roaming skirmishers below. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the location of the marine rescue is procedural, I showed up at the villa that featured the rescue in my first run through, and this time the Covenant ambush was there instead. So it seems no matter where you end up going, you won't shortcut the mission and skip some fun encounters. End result being: exploration and improvising a path through the level is encouraged.

Really, really superb touch by Bungie. This is another significant thing Reach has over Halo CE.
Can't wait to play through the campaign again. I'm on the sixth mission right now.

Shake Appeal said:
Doesn't take too long to kill people. Pistol is still good. Bloom is still fun. New melee/shield mechanic is still superior. Love Reach.
Yup. It doesn't take any longer to kill people than in Halo 3. However, I will disagree with you on the melee in this game. Having to melee people twice no matter how much damage I deal them, I think, still sucks. Halo 3's melee system was better.

Botolf, where are your notepad impressions?
Shake Appeal said:
Wow everyone loves SWAT. In the BTB playlist just now people voted for None of the Above, and then 10 votes slammed in for Team SWAT on Hemorrhage in seconds.
Really? That sucks man. I can understand why Bungie put all of these gametypes in the same playlist, but if what you said keeps happening, it's going to get really old really fast, and going to ruin the experience for a lot of people very quickly.

Chinner said:
maybe you should go play call of duty. i heard theres a new one out this year!

Maybe you should post more overexaggerations - I hear theyre in fashion this year!!!

He probably likes the Reach gameplay in general - but he has a few nitpicks. I question anyone that says they could like any game 100%

Reach is pretty awesome, but like Moonman, I think there are things that just downright suck in it. :lol Bungie did an amazing job and no one else could come close, but theyre no god's and certainly are not perfect.

BTW I hate the reviewers calling this the 'best of Halo gameplay' and saying that theres nothing new, that its all just been refined. Its pretty clear that Bungie went to the drawing board on pretty much every aspect of the gameplay - I with the reviewers would acknowledge that. Stupid video game reviewers not knowing theyre Halo.

MMaRsu said:
Complained about this earlier in the thread. Fucking ridiculous. Apparently Marty doesn't want you fiddling with his perfect audio options :lol

Yeah, damn shame, I just want to turn the music down a bit so I can hear the weapons better.

If anyone at Bungie/Microsoft is reading, patch it in, thank you :lol.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I may have missed this since the thread is huuuge (I got vidyagames to be playin don't you know) but I was reading the data-pads last night and thought some people might be interested as to what they contain. The pads actually refer to the stuff in Halsey's Journal as well, so it's a real treat for the fiction-minded among us. Here's a link to the pads themselves - http://current.com/1bl374c Spoiler tags in case there's anyone that cares!

As far as I can tell, the Pads are a transcript of a system comprising of three AIs. Halsey mentions this in her journal as a method of reparing AI rampancy - Rampancy is caused by an AI brain making too many new neural links in its brain, the more links it makes the more they can overlap and corrupt each other. The three AIs form a committee that can watch each other for signs of rampancy, when these signs are detected the AIs can vote on which neural links to sever since the problem with a an AI fixing itself is that as it becomes more erratic it destroys more and more vital links.

This is a cool concept in itself, one that Halsey only speculates at when conducting her AI research and that leads her to create cortana (who has a greater chance of not becoming rampant due to the work Halsey has put into her creation). However, the Data Pads seem to show that this AI committee has existed for around 200 years. I'm not sure how this fits into the timeline with regards to the creation of the first AIs, but it certainly appears that these AI are created by humans and have taken it upon themselves to watch out for the human race, gently steering things from way behind the scenes. It is these AI for example that disseminate the term 'glassing' to the greater populace as a way of spreading fear and awareness of the covenant threat. It seems that after Harvest many of the outer colonies didn't believe in them, thinking it was the UNSC taking out a subversive planet.

The conversations between the AI (named the Minority and the Majority, based on which side of the argument they fall on) also imply that they knew about the possible existence of the Covenant well before first contact and were debating as to their nature. After first contact there is an argument between them as they suspect one of their number of reaching out to the aliens and initiating the contact.

Also with regards to Halsey, when they find out about her research into 11 dimensional neural networking (achieved through the use of slipspace and it's m-theory implications) they are incredibly excited, viewing it as the next step of their evolution. It isn't clear to me whether they move into this state when we are reading them though, it perhaps is something they are keeping in mind for the future.

At the end of the data pads they decide to help humanity with their fight, and it's around this time that reach falls (the last data pads are dated 2552).

Really interesting stuff, although it kind suck that Ascendant Justice went and got themselves hired, I loved their breakdown of the terminals in H3 and would dearly love to read their analysis of this stuff (maybe on Waypoint? Pretty please??).

Geoff9920

There's so much this game does right, but Invasion Slayer on Hemorrhage is not one of them. So frustrating. To be fair, it's probably just me sucking. :p Any tips for doing better on this map? (Beyond just grabbing the sniper rifle in the beginning, rarely an option.) I have an especially difficult time when starting as an elite. At least spartan's get the magnum pistol.

Darkman M said:
Just beat mission 6 best Halo campaign already imo.
The last couple of missions might make you reconsider that announcement.

Botolf said:
True, his perseverance and the way he went out did a lot to redeem him in my eyes. I just wish Jorge had gotten a bit more coverage in the story. He was the character I found the most interesting, largely due to his diplomatic relationship with the civilians of Reach and his "familial" link to Doctor Halsey. Would have loved to see his development continue.

That's the trick with the way REACH tells its story, Hinting at relationship and greater meaning of events without having to focus too much on them makes the thing seem deeper without having to have pay offs.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
If Bungie allowed people to join games mid-round like Call of Duty, then the populations for each playlist wouldn't have to be as large as they need to be now for a good matchmaking experience, and they could have more playlists.

I can understand that their ranking system for the Arena stops this from happening there, and there's probably a technical reason with the way they handle their netcode as well, but the unranked games should be joinable mid game. I haven't played a full game of invasion where all the players stay till the end. The matches are still becoming the lop-sided 6 players hunting 2 affairs we saw in Halo 3.

As I said, if you could join mid game, then waiting times would go down and playlist population wouldn't matter as much and we could have more specific playlists.

UGH god fuck no

How many times I've entered a game in CoD only to have it be over in 5 kills

Yeah that's really fun.

Assists, well at least HaloGAF agrees on something...
n1tgee.png

ㅎ_ㅎ

Geoff9920 said:
There's so much this game does right, but Invasion Slayer on Hemorrhage is not one of them. So frustrating. To be fair, it's probably just me sucking. :p Any tips for doing better on this map? (Beyond just grabbing the sniper rifle in the beginning, rarely an option.) I have an especially difficult time when starting as an elite. At least spartan's get the magnum pistol.

Invasion Slayer on any map is complete shit. It's incredibly annoying because normal Invasion is awesome.

Even though I'm having a blast playing this game, I think Invasion is probably the worst thing that ever happened to Halo. There's so much potential, but all is lost with weak presentation and poor level design. It takes too long to know what you're supposed to do, or where the enemies are supposed to spawn. Should have been more like UT2004 Onslaught where you first capture something and try to defend it. The first part of the mission is often fine, but then you die, and it takes them 20 second to capture something from your base (a critical objective), and then you're left alone when the fight has already moved to somewhere else.

It's all too confusing.

Hixx

Cuban Legend said:
Assists, well at least HaloGAF agrees on something...
http://i52.tinypic.com/n1tgee.png[./img]
ㅎ_ㅎ[/QUOTE]
:lol

edit: it's sad that it will probably take much longer than the kill 150 people in MM daily :/

U2NUMB

Gui_PT said:
The challenges keep puuuulliiiiiing me iiiiiiiiinnnn

Yep every single day I wake up and the first website I visit is Bungie.net to see what the challenges are for the day.

Blur had daily challenges and they were great but they were always the same. The way they mix them up in Reach is brilliant.

skyfinch said:
What's the best mission for commandeering a banshee? And, how do you do it? Darn things are hard to catch.
Mission with Jorge heading up to the
Spire
. and make sure you have a jetpack. Also don't let Jorge kill the banshees , he starts to shoot them if they get too close.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
snoopeasystreet said:
Did anyone find all the Data Pads yet? I wonder if there's any in-game reward for getting them all.

Dude, 3 posts up from you. All that black text. Read it. No in game reward but there is a hefty chunk of story.

MrDaravon

SWAT/Snipers needs it's own playlist stat, I'm fucking sick of nothing but SWAT or Snipers in BTB, and it's what half of everybody votes for because that's what they want. No one is happy with the current setup. There also needs to be some more maps/gametypes rotated in, I swear to god in all of my BTB/Invasion games I've only done the same 3 or 4 map and gametype combinations 90% of the time. Uggggggggh.

On the plus side, I REALLY like the Daily Challenges, I like how it tracks how many you've done lifetime, and I enjoy waking up in the morning and checking bnet to see what the new challenges are for that day.

zlatko

Banned
I'm personally not a fan of FPS where there is too much bullet sponge bull crap and that's why I always pick SWAT. I wish they would make a hardcore/SWAT only game type play list. No shields for the win.

Also, wtf at this games auto aim going up 300000% when you jump and shoot? I swear whenever I do die in SWAT it's because someone jumps and auto gets a headshot for aiming anywhere at my body. Same thing happens with sniper rifles close quarters. It becomes less "skill" or aiming based, and more who jumped first and pulled the trigger. That's just how it's been going for me.

Also, the map Zealot I believe or whatever the giant covenant circle area with a zero G above area has really become fuck awful to play on. Almost every game today of that map is everyone picks jet packs, and first team to secure zero G camps up there rest of the game. Snoring camper fest for the loser.

I also wish Ghost damage would get a bump. You can pour SO MUCH shots at someone and they won't die. I'd like a tweak to shotgun damage to be bumped up as well along with the Spartan grenade launcher. The grenade launcher maybe could just benefit from a bigger blast radius.

I just find it a pain so much to have the upper hand weapon wise often, start drilling the poor sap, and then get beaten out by a melee or armorlock/buddy assist.

Great game. Lots of fun, but an overall tweak to damage to drop people 1/3d faster/1/4th faster would make me enjoy the game much more. :D

Numpt3

skyfinch said:
What's the best mission for commandeering a banshee? And, how do you do it? Darn things are hard to catch.
I did it on the mission where you set up those four turrets and have to keep them going against waves of covenant. Grab a jet pack near the stockpile of weapons, get on top of one of the buildings and take pot shots at a banshee untill it starts to fly your way...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
skyfinch said:

The last part of Tip of the Spear was where I got it, there was a banshee flying really low when I was at the spire at the end, just wait for it to come near and jetpack up to it.

alisdair

Quoting for people who missed it (boy this thread is moving fast):

Tashi0106 said:

I'm pretty sure this is intentional, and won't be changed. If they did fix it, it would have to be in a title update. Maybe the arena formula will be updated to improve the number of assists.

I would like to have seen any damage inflicted on an enemy before shield recharge count as an assist. I don't really know why that wouldn't be the case.

Tashi, if you do any more testing, can you try sniper body shot and melee for dropping shields as assists?

HixxSAFC said:
:lol

edit: it's sad that it will probably take much longer than the kill 150 people in MM daily :/
I'm at 119/150 kills... and 17/30 assists. -_-

Edit: so sick of seeing 'flag'/MLG emblems. And of course 7 of the 8 players vote for Snipers. Sigh. Well, back to work.

Ok, so I did a file search on the file share under screenshots and came to find and interesting pic that is tagged as false ending. Do the people tagging those know something we don't?

broony

skyfinch said:

I did it on
Tip of the spear, just as you get to the spire, using a jetpack when one came to strafe me and also managed it on the package in the cave, again with a jetpack. Think it really helped me get through that part relatively unharmed.

Cynar

Deputy Moonman said:
My Matchmaking complaints:

Takes way too damn long to kill people. I'm crossing my fingers that eventual MLG settings up the weapon damage just a bit. Pistol is worse than it was in the beta. If its power hasn't been nerfed, something about it is not as good, which makes everyone use the DMR instead. And the uber small clip only compounds the problem. Thanks for revitalizing the... oh never mind.

If I do more damage than the other person, and then melee someone, they should die. Instead, i've died too many times because of having to melee someone twice. That whole mechanic is bullshit. Not counting the number of times I've somehow been screwed over from getting a kill and ended up dead myself, all you get are a bunch of, "oh we're both dead" moments, and I think that sucks, personally.

Bloom was and still is retarded. If they wanted to add weapon kick-back, fine. That would have made some sense, but when my reticule is pinpointed on someone's face I should hit them. Bloom says otherwise. Bloom rhymes with gloom, and that's all it is. Who benefits from bloom? Does it make the game more or less competitive? I just haven't seen a reason for it to exist in the game, yet.

Spire is too big for its own good. 8v8 and i feel like i'm in a ghost land, even with a bunch of vehicles. In my opinion, that's what happens when you focus too much on vehicles. And if it's a vehicle map, the spires shouldn't be there. Games turn into people hiding in the upper spires, which makes the rest of the map feel even more barren. Maybe Invasion plays better (haven't tried yet), but BTB is boring on it. Similarly, Just got out of a team slayer on Hemorrhage and that map is way too big for 4v4.

Swat and sniper games SHOULD be in their own playlists. So damn tired of getting those games, especially against grouped teams who just shit on everyone. Not cool.

You think it takes too long to kill people and then you don't want to play SWAT? The kill time is perfectly fine.

skyfinch said:

As mentioned above
Spire
but not mentioned is use a charged plasma pistol burst to ground the banshee then just walk over to it before it flys away and hijack it

broony said:
I did it on
Tip of the spear, just as you get to the spire, using a jetpack when one came to strafe me and also managed it on the package in the cave, again with a jetpack. Think it really helped me get through that part relatively unharmed.
A more fun place is
during the siege in The Package, PPing one out of the air, grabbing it, and then raining death on the attackers.

Puddles

Banned
Holy shit, Bungie needs to release a patch to lower the Elites' shield strength on Legendary. :lol

In Halo CE, Elites were fairly difficult. In Halo 2, they were a joke (plasma pistol, battle rifle and a few sticky grenades will take out a room full of them). Here they're 10 times worse than Halo CE. Whoever said that Elites are like a boss battle is right.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Puddles said:
Holy shit, Bungie needs to release a patch to lower the Elites' shield strength on Legendary. :lol

In Halo CE, Elites were fairly difficult. In Halo 2, they were a joke. Here they're 10 times worse than Halo CE.

Nah, they don't. In fact in the storyline Noble 6 even makes reference to what kind of elites they are based on their shield strength.

Trasher

Puddles said:

In Halo CE, Elites were fairly difficult. In Halo 2, they were a joke (plasma pistol, battle rifle and a few sticky grenades will take out a room full of them). Here they're 10 times worse than Halo CE. Whoever said that Elites are like a boss battle is right.
They released that patch with the game. It's called the Normal difficulty.

broony

Shake Appeal said:
A more fun place is
during the siege in The Package, PPing one out of the air, grabbing it, and then raining death on the attackers.

Is that not the same place I mentioned?
I was trying to describe when you are defending the door in the cave with wave after wave of attakers when you set up the defence turrets. Is that where you are talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom