• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
MagniHarvald said:
Just woke up, great reviews all around :D
Yeah, but I learned from GAF this morning that you can't trust the great reviews, you have to focus solely on the outliers (because low scores are more honest), and those outliers are saying this game is only "very, very good", so I may have to cancel my preorder.

Magni

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, but I learned from GAF this morning that you can't trust the great reviews, you have to focus solely on the outliers (because low scores are more honest), and those outliers are saying this game is only "very, very good", so I may have to cancel my preorder.

Oh fuck, I better cancel my pre-order quick then! Oh shit it's already shipped! Hmm.. I know, I'll sell it, that'll teach 'em!

NeXuSDK

It's always so fun with reviews...

"We already knew they would give high scores when the game was announced"
"They will always be hypeboles/fanboyish right away"
"They can't be trusted at all"

Etc.

Personally, I am, along with all of you guys when you get the game, sharing my opinion - and my opinion of the game just happens to be very good. What is the wrong-doing in that?

Oh and if anyone cares; Halsey's journal in the Limited Edtion is excellent. Both the production quality of the thing and the content. Can't wait to read more of it. It kinda feels like a mini-novel...

zumphry

Banned
Shake Appeal said:

I only buy perfect games, so since Reach didn't get a 100 from the always accurate, highly credited, always trustworthy WorthGames(I only trust places with spinning logos), it's not getting a buy from this gamer.

Pre-order canceled. Hope you rot in hell, Bungie.

temporal AA blows. that, coupled with all the motion blur, can produce quite an ugly effect. no AA would have been better.

none of that concerns me as much as framerate issues due. i can appreciate bungie taking H3 criticisms over the visuals to heart and greatly improving them for reach but all the detail in the world is defeated if your game has severe framerate issues.

Lunchbox

Banned
found this gem- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Milxr3dfMXY#t=0m23s

Gimme ya pistol
Rockets and missles
Combat evolved make it official
Back in you heard
Back to the third
Covenant thought they could win its absurd
Gimme that energy sword
An elite get his teeth to the piece
And his piece blown to pieces
He release his feces
Hes scared of the sniper hes scared of the wielder
Get him a diaper Its nothing but nades
Duckin and fade
phantoms get blown out the sky every day
scared of the blood who scared of the flood?
Somebody lyin like pigs in the mud

Scorpion tank on a running riot
None of you lamez is killin me
Now im aligned on a killing spree
Now im online on a killing spree
Go for the win I aint fancy yall
We can do slayer on Zanzibar
We can do teams Ill tell u the story
You and your squad in territories
Coming at me is a knock off
I keep it away like a softball
See homie Im tough to defeat
Dont get a rocket blown shot at yo feet
Jump off the base and Im shootin elites
I aint the fire man I am the chief

Killer

Banned
Lunchbox said:
found this gem- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Milxr3dfMXY#t=0m23s

Gimme ya pistol
Rockets and missles
Combat evolved make it official
Back in you heard
Back to the third
Covenant thought they could win its absurd
Gimme that energy sword
An elite get his teeth to the piece
And his piece blown to pieces
He release his feces
Hes scared of the sniper hes scared of the wielder
Get him a diaper Its nothing but nades
Duckin and fade
phantoms get blown out the sky every day
scared of the blood who scared of the flood?
Somebody lyin like pigs in the mud

Scorpion tank on a running riot
None of you lamez is killin me
Now im aligned on a killing spree
Now im online on a killing spree
Go for the win I aint fancy yall
We can do slayer on Zanzibar
We can do teams Ill tell u the story
You and your squad in territories
Coming at me is a knock off
I keep it away like a softball
See homie Im tough to defeat
Dont get a rocket blown shot at yo feet
Jump off the base and Im shootin elites
I aint the fire man I am the chief

A
washington-monument-picture.jpg

TO ALL YOUR SINS.

DodgerSan

Y'know all this hullabaloo about frame dips?

If the frame rate has to take the occasional hit in service to the story or atmosphere, then that's a worthy sacrifice. I'm sure Bungie agonise over these things.

Now if it impacts multi, then that's a bit harder to swallow.

DodgerSan said:
If the frame rate has to take the occasional hit in service to the story or atmosphere, then that's a worthy sacrifice.

Indeed.

I could understand the complaints if every other high profile game had a perfect frame-rate, but they don't.

Chinner

Banned
cant actually believe that gaylo: reach (for the penis) is out tomorrow. hype is finally kicking in and got my headset and stuff ready.

Feindflug

WickedLaharl said:
temporal AA blows. that, coupled with all the motion blur, can produce quite an ugly effect. no AA would have been better.

none of that concerns me as much as framerate issues due. i can appreciate bungie taking H3 criticisms over the visuals to heart and greatly improving them for reach but all the detail in the world is defeated if your game has severe framerate issues.

Frame blending/ghosting was only annoying in the cut-scenes IMO, in motion things are definitely better than the beta mainly because they almost get rid of the ghosting effect in the gun reloading animations plus motion-blur did a good job hiding it in the environments.

About the frame-rate yes there are some drops here and there but nothing game-breaking except in the end of the
9th
mission which is also the
Glacier
firefight map...frame-rate drops can get really bad and there's a lot of slowdown to the point that when I played it I was thinking how the hell Bungie let this in this state...and the funny thing is that it's nothing that's that demanding visual-wise to make the frame-rate crawl - Bungie should fix this mainly because the slowdown problems are making
Glacier
a useless map in FF.

Lunchbox

Banned
Chinner said:
cant actually believe that gaylo: reach (for the penis) is out tomorrow. hype is finally kicking in and got my headset and stuff ready.

verse 2 -

Shoot em in spurts
The shotty is wild
Plasma ya stuck
Capture the flag
Get in the truck
Ready ya jump in the warthog
See come from behind in your base yall
Sleep glands its amazing my team is all deep
Even on betas you still all sheep
And Im coming to get mine
All you haters can step on a trip mine
Your coffee decaffeinated?
Look you asleep, assassinated
Double the thrill double the ill two coming at me I double the kill
Coming from 21 down to tie it

I got a battle rifle go battle
psycho and at em ride em like saddles
Michael is nutless on any new ring
Cortana tell em the aim is cha ching
Plantin grenades like flowers and mulch
Already crazy them bloodied the colts
Catch me up high in a banshee blastin away
At these grunts and its fancy
I will stay barrel rolling
Keeping em rolling
Running through brutes
Kind of like bowling
End of the earth
Im ending you first
You Covenant jerks

Gui_PT

Here's what's weird about the framerate.

Half of you guys say there's a huge framerate problem. The other half says there's no such problem.

Brian also says there's no problem, and I haven't seen framerate problems in any video that's out there.

Then who was framerate?!

JMizzlin

Gui_PT said:
Did we ever find out what the last downloadable item on that Reach Console youtube video was?

Go inside Bungie and get direct access to the team that created the franchise as they play through their last and most ambitious entry in series, Halo: Reach. To celebrate the event – and to commemorate those fans who picked up the Legendary Edition of Halo: Reach – Creative Director, Marcus Lehto, Audio Director and Composer, Marty O’Donnell, Cinematics and Story Lead, Lee Wilson, and Effects Lead, Steve Scott sit down together to deliver two full hours of exclusive, behind-the-scenes campaign commentary covering unrevealed aspects of Halo: Reach’s production. From concept to cutting room floor, this last look back is the final word on Halo: Reach’s development, straight from the team that built the game.

:)

Framerate dips are a bummer, as I'm very sensitive to that kind of thing and would prefer devs do whatever it takes to keep the gameplay smooth and the framerate locked. Halo has an artstyle that lets them get away with simpler textures, so I don't understand how Bungie of all studios would let that kind of thing ship.

But absolutely everything else sounds fucking stellar. If anything I'd like to hear about more disappointments with the game if only to keep my own expectations in check.

Edit: I have to wonder if those people who say they don't notice framerate issues are the type to notice them otherwise. I can think of many threads about screen tearing, texture pop in and 60fps where most posters couldn't even detect these things if they tried.

LAUGHTREY said:
I can shoot someone across blood gulch with the AR and pistol, AR and pistol beat DMR up close.
:D

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Trasher said:
Are we about to have our first HaloGAF DMR vs AR for Reach?!?!

Juices makes a good point though. On a large map it does really suck if you don't get a decently ranged weapon, and there won't be much of a chance for someone to run you down with an AR in that case. The long range weapon should always win in a larger map. I'm thinking the pistol should be the savior to this problem on most maps though.

Also, if the AR hasn't been changed much since the beta, then no, it is not an "amazing" gun. :lol

I can shoot someone across blood gulch with the AR and pistol, AR and pistol beat DMR up close.

Pistol is basically a DMR that blooms quicker, but shoots faster. I always use it over the DMR in close quarters and I always win vs a DMR or Needle Rifle.

.nimrod

Feindflug said:
Frame blending/ghosting was only annoying in the cut-scenes IMO, in motion things are definitely better than the beta mainly because they almost get rid of the ghosting effect in the gun reloading animations plus motion-blur did a good job hiding it in the environments.

If it's as noticable as in the campaign preview with the commentary on the marketplace, then i'd rather have it turned off :/

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
For fiction/canon fans;

Several areas in the game break with existing canon, some are fairly minor whilst others are more moderate. Nothing too drastic but it kinda seems like we'll be needing several retcons.

Gui_PT said:
Here's what's weird about the framerate.

Half of you guys say there's a huge framerate problem. The other half says there's no such problem.

Brian also says there's no problem, and I haven't seen framerate problems in any video that's out there.

Then who was framerate?!

What is this I don't even.

Zomo

Gah can't wait for reach >.< The midnight launch is so close its going to be hectic. I won't get out for a while either so hopefully customers are quick and i get out of their as soon as possible. I'm dressing up and i made so paper shotguns lol yeah paper... yay for youtube. they're not the best but i'm happy for a quick job.

28h368j.jpg

:lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I got the legendary solo achievement, but on my b.net page it still says I've only completed heroic. whatdufuuuh

georgc

Dani said:
For fiction/canon fans;

Several areas in the game break with existing canon, some are fairly minor whilst others are more moderate. Nothing too drastic but it kinda seems like we'll be needing several retcons.
Can You be more specific? I'm interested what u found.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
georgc said:

Heavy spoilers below, don't bother highlighting unless you want the game's ending ruined.

Halsey knowing about the S-III's before she should have.
The Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach with Noble Six's help - what happened to the events from the Fall of Reach with all of the Spartans on board for a mission that had to be cancelled due to the Invasion?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
georgc said:
If you compare it to the books
nothing in the books is relevant, as is always the case.

If you compare it to the games
It's pretty much fit into the existing story very nicely, albeit nothing specific from this game is referenced in the earlier games.

georgc

Dani said:
Heavy spoilers below, don't bother highlighting unless you want the game's ending ruined.

The Pillar of Autumn escaping Reach with Noble Six's help - what happened to the events from the Fall of Reach with all of the Spartans on board for a mission that had to be cancelled due to the Invasion?
Ahhh forgot that the mission to capture a prophet was cancled cause of the in vasion. Wasn't the autum in deep space and had to be called back? I actually asked bout Halsey knowing bout the 3s in the gamecon thread and I was told that Cortana infomed her.

Magni

Botolf said:
If people can love The Library, people can love anything.

The Library is great. Orbital wasn't awful, it's just that almost every other level deserves the remake more :lol Then again maybe the guy chose to remake it because of this (less chance of other people remaking it as well).

Popeck

Dani said:

Yeah, I was expecting that, but still it's a little bit disappointing. Most of the reviewers don't know anything about that, but I mentioned it my review.

Overall I liked the campaign. There's a few pointless flying sections, one mission reminds me of Kikowani Station in ODST. The AI is great, especially the elites are scary now. The campaign took me six hours on Heroic on my first run. I've played half of the campaign in Legendary, and some of the encounters are pretty tough. Hunters can take a tremendous amount of beating.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
georgc said:
Ahhh forgot that the mission to capture a prophet was cancled cause of the in vasion. Wasn't the autum in deep space and had to be called back? I actually asked bout Halsey knowing bout the 3s in the gamecon thread and I was told that Cortana infomed her.

The PoA was on the edge of Reach's system preparing for the mission and doing some final prep work when they got word about the invasion. They hightailed it back in-system to Reach and executed the Chief's plan, the majority of the Spartans on board went to the surface to secure the generator platforms that kept the MAC guns in orbit online, Most of them were presumed dead as the MAC guns fell silent and the Covenant tore past.

I already suspected the game would have issues regarding the exact timeline of the invasion, it's understandable that they had to make the specific timing more flexible to allow the game to flow at it's own pace but I can't understand the necessity of including Halsey, Cortana of the Pillar of Autumn. If their inclusion was only to link Reach into Halo CE and the rest of the franchise then surely it could have been done differently?

Regardless, is it safe to assume that the games take canonical priority? Should entire sections of Halo fiction now be ignored? Will the new Fall of Reach comic include the new canon of the game or the seemingly defunct canon of the book?

If the Master Chief did not send the majority of the Spartan II's to Reach's surface, are they now suddenly alive somewhere?

Sibylus

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
The Library is (a) great example of a level that ought to have been left on the cutting room floor. People tend to forgive it not for what it was, but for what game it was featured in.
Amended.

Magni

This thread is getting very black.. I can't wait to get the game and play through it so that I no longer have to resist highlighting :lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Dani said:
Uh, this is nothing new. I don't really care for what anyone says, the books are a totally different story beginning to end than the games.

Fall of Reach is not the same
The Flood has a ton of characters that were never seen nor mentioned in the game.
First Strike showed that the covenant knew where earth was, yet they were surprised when Regret showed up? Ok. Master Chief blows up Halo...but also unyielding hierophant and a giant covenant fleet but it's never mentioned in his awards ceremony.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LAUGHTREY said:
Uh, this is nothing new. I don't really care for what anyone says, the books are a totally different story beginning to end than the games.

Fall of Reach is not the same
The Flood has a ton of characters that were never seen nor mentioned in the game.
First Strike showed that the covenant knew where earth was, yet they were surprised when Regret showed up? Ok. Master Chief blows up Halo...but also unyielding hierophant and a giant covenant fleet but it's never mentioned in his awards ceremony.

Expanded universe fiction always takes the backseat to main entries in a franchise. It's the same across many different properties such as Star Wars, Trek as well as Halo. That doesn't mean mean that that expanded universe material is of lesser value to the fans though, particularly the more dedication fanbase.

Halo Wars was heavily criticised by Halo's dedicated fanbase because of the apparent conflicts to pre-existing canon and right now I'm willing to say Reach equals or breaks existing canon more than Halo Wars does. Yet I think the fanbase won't be as vocal about it for some reason.

Any changes to any part of any franchise's canon raises questions. Fair enough only a small percentage of the overall audience cares about the answers to such questions but that doesn't mean that they don't have a right to ask the questions in the first place. Post release, I'd like to see, not an explanation for why things were changed (artistic freedom and all), I'd like to know what the changes mean for the canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom