• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermite

Domino Theory said:
I would just like to say that the daily challenges are THE greatest thing to EVER happen to Halo.

Yeah, they're addicting as FUCK. I couldn't stop playing this morning until I completed every last one. :lol *has WoW daily quest flashbacks*

Sai-kun

Banned
Major Williams said:
AGREED.

More please :D

Kill-an-ostrich-it-was-coming-right-for-us.jpg

Mik2121

++ Check this out plz, it's my current forge map. ++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQf8T6_9sd0

This is a video of my current Work in Progress stage, The Extended Yard. It's based on "The Longest Yard" from Quake 3 but made larger and adapted to the Reach gameplay.

As you can probably tell, the level is not yet done. It's lacking small details almost everywhere, as well as the second to third floor ramps and the man cannons on the third floors connecting each side.

What do you guys think?

++

Hixx

good games meus, pxg, bdrob, bluescrote.. that last firefight was interesting to say the least :lol

Apologies if I seemed quiet, think my mic is on its way out.

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
I would just like to say that the daily challenges are THE greatest thing to EVER happen to Halo.
Speaking of which, I'm going to try and get all the Challenges today (Firefight, yay). I'll be in Score Attack, but if someone wants to hop on for some Firefight shoot me an invite or queue up.
Sai-kun said:
Yesterday while running back through the first mission I came around a corner and had two of the Moa's right in front of me. My melee was reflexive, dropped'em both. :lol
Aggrotek said:
Is anyone else's player model not updating at all? Mine has been the same since I started. =[
Player model linkage to bungie.net was temporarily disabled as a load balancing measure. It will be turned back on after things settle down in server-land.
Shake Appeal said:
2. DMR
One of the most flexible weapons in the game, and the go-to midrange gun; you'll probably want to grab one whenever available, though it is the default weapon for many slayer types and in the Arena.

How to use:
Four shots anywhere on an enemy will drop a full shield. A fifth shot will kill, provided it is to the head. Reticle bloom is very manageable; at reasonable ranges, you can spam or close-to-spam the first four shots, then pause for a moment before bagging the essential headshot. You also have a scope for long range, and the gun works surprisingly well even at extreme distances.

Watch out for:
It simply doesn't fire fast enough at very close ranges, especially against enemies who are better equipped (packing shotguns, ARs, pistols, etc.). It also won't kill fast enough at any range to match up consistently against properly-used power weapons.

3. Pistol
Perhaps the most flexible weapon in the game, and you will almost always have one when spawning as a Spartan.

How to use:
It does the same damage and behaves similarly to the DMR; they fire the same round, in fact. However, the pistol suffers more from bloom, meaning you will have to pace your shots at range. On the upside, it can fire much faster, so at close ranges you can spam it at the body to drop shields, and then either melee or pause for the killing headshot. Has a scope, too.

Watch out for:
At mid-to-longer ranges, a decent DMR user will shred you because of their relative lack of bloom. Also, the clip is pretty shallow (only eight rounds, and it takes five to kill a healthy enemy), so facing down multiple enemies at once with it is inadvisable.
Suggested addition: the pistol has a 2x scope and the DMR has a 3x scope. That is one of the major advantages the DMR at range, the other being the bloom you mention.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Yesterday while running back through the first mission I came around a corner and had two of the Moa's right in front of me. My melee was reflexive, dropped'em both. :lol

Punching them feels really good :lol

Yea that's good and all Tashi, but in the Arena you should get points according to how much you assisted, based on damage output. Its really the only fair way to do it.

Like you know in Midship both teams start in base, that guy that stays mid base and puts out shots on people in the other base and going up P2 or car side can be just as important as the guy on your team who rushes P2 to finish that other enemy who's now weak at P2 thanks to the support dude.

If support players are going to get the shaft though pointwise then more people are going to worry about getting 20 kills and 10 deaths, then a bunch of assists and maybe low kills and low deaths.

Currently I have a 7:1 kill:assist ratio which is ridiculous. 305 kills and 43 assists. I know I put mad shots out though, if I look back at H3 stats I always tend to have 10 or more assists per game...and I didn't even feel like H3 properly awarded assists, so yea.

theultimo

Linkzg said:
Is there a glitch or some other reason that the "This is how we do it" challenge isn't 9/9? I finished the game and it is stuck at 8/9
You have to be connected to live and bungie needs to see that you completed a mission on heroic. I had issues at the start not getting 2 missions to count due to server overload or csomething, so I helped a friend with 2 coop missions on heroic, and they counted.

Chinner

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Yea that's good and all Tashi, but in the Arena you should get points according to how much you assisted, based on damage output. Its really the only fair way to do it.

Like you know in Midship both teams start in base, that guy that stays mid base and puts out shots on people in the other base and going up P2 or car side can be just as important as the guy on your team who rushes P2 to finish that other enemy who's now weak at P2 thanks to the support dude.

If support players are going to get the shaft though pointwise then more people are going to worry about getting 20 kills and 10 deaths, then a bunch of assists and maybe low kills and low deaths.

Currently I have a 7:1 kill:assist ratio which is ridiculous. 305 kills and 43 assists. I know I put mad shots out though, if I look back at H3 stats I always tend to have 10 or more assists per game...and I didn't even feel like H3 properly awarded assists, so yea.
agreed.

HixxSAFC said:
Did you do Lone Wolf?

yes, but I died. I assumed it was just supposed to go down like that.

theultimo said:
You have to be connected to live and bungie needs to see that you completed a mission on heroic. I had issues at the start not getting 2 missions to count due to server overload or csomething, so I helped a friend with 2 coop missions on heroic, and they counted.

I was connected the entire time I played. so, do I need to replay any level on heroic, or the one I missed (I don't know which one it would be)

Hixx

Linkzg said:

Yeah it is, I've just spoken to a few people who turned the game off during the credits :lol

Like someone said above, just pick your favourite mission and do it on heroic and make sure you're connected to Live, you must've dropped connection during your run. Even 5-10 secs can fuck up the recognition I think :/

vetrox

Mik2121 said:
++ Check this out plz, it's my current forge map. ++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQf8T6_9sd0

This is a video of my current Work in Progress stage, The Extended Yard. It's based on "The Longest Yard" from Quake 3 but made larger and adapted to the Reach gameplay.

As you can probably tell, the level is not yet done. It's lacking small details almost everywhere, as well as the second to third floor ramps and the man cannons on the third floors connecting each side.

What do you guys think?

++
Looks really nice! That bottom level might will become a popular killbox without any cover though

M_A_C

Tashi0106 said:
So, I've taken notice as I'm sure many other players have as well, that assists in Halo Reach are way down from what they were in Halo 3. You're just not getting as many. Anything above 5 seems like a large amount. I wanted to find out why. It's an important topic and especially so if you like to play Arena. I've created a video showing how assists work in Halo Reach. This experiment only deals with 2 players. As in, 1 teammate gets the kill while the other gets the assist. It doesn't deal with multiple teammates getting an assist for 1 kill. (In Halo 3 Team Slayer you'll notice teams get more than 50 assists) This also only deals with the DMR as it is the weapon you start out with in Arena.

How assists work in Halo Reach

If I shoot a player 1 time with the DMR(20% total damage, 25% shield damage) and my teammate finishes the kill, I won't get the assist.

If I shoot a player 2 times with the DMR(40% total damage, 50% shield damage) and my teammate finishes the kill, I won't get the assist.

Now, If shoot a player 3 times with the DMR(60% total damage, 75% shield damage) and my teammate finishes the kill, I get the assist. I think that's fair actually. If you deal more than HALF of the damage you deserve to get the assist. Obviously this works with 4 shots as well with the DMR(80% total damage, shields dropped)

That's not the issue with assists though. The issue is that it seems as though their calculation is based on time. If I drop a player's shields and my teammate cleans up the kill 5 seconds after my final shot has registered (educated guess) I won't get the assist. It takes MORE than 5 seconds for a players shields to recharge passed the 75% qualifier and even more to fully recharge. You can see it in the video.

After watching the video it will be clear to see why assist calculation needs some tweaking. Maybe the time limit should be equivalent to the time is takes for a players shields to recharge passed the half way point or whatever the exact percentage is. Or maybe you could tweak the Arena formula so that assists are worth more than kills. What if you only need to deal 20% damage to get the assist or 40%. I don't know. It may seem as though it's nitpicking here but it really is a big issue. It seems like nothing on the surface but just look at the stats after each game you play and you'll see just how assists have gone down so much in Reach.

I just hope that it's an issue that can be fixed and fixed quickly.

OH! I was just about to ask that but then I read that line. Thanks!

Mik2121

vetrox said:
Looks really nice! That bottom level might will become a popular killbox without any cover though
Yeah. The bottom will have some boxes around to use as covers. I didn't add the boxes yet because whenever I move other geometry around, it hits the them and fly around :/, so I will add all the boxes and small objects at the end (I only added those sand bags there, but there will be more stuff around).

And yeah, either way the bottom level is a killbox, as you say. You still have to go there to use the jump pad to the floating platform, and you also have 9 "exits" (6 ramps and 3 jump pads to different locations).

theultimo

Linkzg said:

I was connected the entire time I played. so, do I need to replay any level on heroic, or the one I missed (I don't know which one it would be)
Any one will count, I had it happen where Bungie didn't give me the achievement twice, so I just helped a friends on two missions.

Ahh swat. No, not complaining about playing it. I spawned, aimed at a guy and right as I pull the trigger my teammate walks right in front of me betraying him and me being booted. Is the boot player the A button? I got kicked SO fast that I think he just mashed the button like a lot of people do when waiting to respawn.

Tashi0106 said:
So, I've taken notice as I'm sure many other players have as well, that assists in Halo Reach are way down from what they were in Halo 3. You're just not getting as many. Anything above 5 seems like a large amount. I wanted to find out why. It's an important topic and especially so if you like to play Arena. I've created a video showing how assists work in Halo Reach. This experiment only deals with 2 players. As in, 1 teammate gets the kill while the other gets the assist. It doesn't deal with multiple teammates getting an assist for 1 kill. (In Halo 3 Team Slayer you'll notice teams get more than 50 assists) This also only deals with the DMR as it is the weapon you start out with in Arena.

If I shoot a player 1 time with the DMR(20% total damage, 25% shield damage) and my teammate finishes the kill, I won't get the assist.

If I shoot a player 2 times with the DMR(40% total damage, 50% shield damage) and my teammate finishes the kill, I won't get the assist.

Now, If shoot a player 3 times with the DMR(60% total damage, 75% shield damage) and my teammate finishes the kill, I get the assist. I think that's fair actually. If you deal more than HALF of the damage you deserve to get the assist. Obviously this works with 4 shots as well with the DMR(80% total damage, shields dropped)

That's not the issue with assists though. The issue is that it seems as though their calculation is based on time. If I drop a player's shields and my teammate cleans up the kill 5 seconds after my final shot has registered (educated guess) I won't get the assist. It takes MORE than 5 seconds for a players shields to recharge passed the 75% qualifier and even more to fully recharge. You can see it in the video.

After watching the video it will be clear to see why assist calculation needs some tweaking. Maybe the time limit should be equivalent to the time is takes for a players shields to recharge passed the half way point or whatever the exact percentage is. Or maybe you could tweak the Arena formula so that assists are worth more than kills. What if you only need to deal 20% damage to get the assist or 40%. I don't know. It may seem as though it's nitpicking here but it really is a big issue. It seems like nothing on the surface but just look at the stats after each game you play and you'll see just how assists have gone down so much in Reach.

You sir, should get an award. Well worded post.

I agree that the timer should be adjusted. What's wrong with awarding a few more assists that truly are well deserved? A few more points? Oh well. It helps to get that recognition and fully encourages and rewards team play.

HixxSAFC said:
Yeah it is, I've just spoken to a few people who turned the game off during the credits :lol

Like someone said above, just pick your favourite mission and do it on heroic and make sure you're connected to Live, you must've dropped connection during your run. Even 5-10 secs can fuck up the recognition I think :/

yeah, after Halo 3, I know to sit through the credits of a Halo game.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I am very grateful that I have been playing Halo: CE the last couple of weeks. It was extremely cool to have that story fresh in my mind while I was finishing Reach.

The sense of dread I felt through the last couple of levels was real. I knew where the game was taking me and I knew it had to be done. I was torn between wanting to continue the game and not wanting to find out what I already knew. Very well done. Not many games have created emotions for me like that.

I had problems playing after the credits. I actually just stood there for a bit, even paused the game because I didn't want to see why Noble 6's helmet was on the ground at the beginning of the game (great use of visual foreshadowing by the way).

I don't know which campaign of the series I would say is my favorite, but I do feel that this game had the most refined single player experience. Really was the best of every game mixed in with better tech. And the character development rivaled the best in the gaming industry. I feel like I got to know the characters well enough so that they weren't forgettable avatars.

Great experience. Looking forward to going through it several times now to get all the achievements and to spending some serious time in Firefight.... maybe a bit of multi too. But like the new Penny Arcade comic I too need a playlist for parents.

HixxSAFC said:
good games meus, pxg, bdrob, bluescrote.. that last firefight was interesting to say the least :lol

Apologies if I seemed quiet, think my mic is on its way out.

The AR matches were fun. Of all the people I saw, it was you most of the time :lol And when I saw someone else, I decided to go after you instead :D Which led to my premature demise on more than a few occasions, sadly.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:

No you're absolutely right. There are just some things that can't be calculated with a formula either. I think what I'll look to most for Arena to do for me is provide me with highly competitive matches with satisfying gametypes(which it has been doing so far for the most part). As far as percentage level in Onyx and daily score and such, it sort of means nothing.

Magni

Tashi0106 said:

Yeah, assists are way down from Halo 3, and I agree with you, it is an issue. Too many times tonight I was "wait what? how wasn't that an assist?" IMO if you hit a player's shield and he gets killed before it fully recharges, or if you lower a player's health and he gets killed before he picks up a health pack, you should get the assist.

Good games tonight Sai, Starlit, and Dani =)

Chinner

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
Yeah, assists are way down from Halo 3, and I agree with you, it is an issue. Too many times tonight I was "wait what? how wasn't that an assist?" IMO if you hit a player's shield and he gets killed before it fully recharges, or if you lower a player's health and he gets killed before he picks up a health pack, you should get the assist.

i agree. one hit should contribute to the assist, from the dmr at least. this would however mean that there are there can be multiple assists, and not sure if bungle have made the award system able to accommodate that.

Sai-kun

Banned
MagniHarvald said:

Sorry I bailed on you guys towards the end :lol I had to do some homework and was guilting myself into doing it!

KJTB

I'm liking the new maps besides paradiso. It's alright in big team battle but on 4 vs 4 gameplays it's a goddamn chore to play till the end of the game. It's way too large of a map for a 4vs4 and I always feel like I'm walking around forever before I see an enemy to actually engage in combat.

Yes, assists in Reach are way too uncommon. I've taken down an enemies shields from full and had my kill taken and not gotten an assist way too many times.

Big-E

Man, legendary solo certainly is getting difficult. I think Reach is more difficult than the other games on legendary. Too many fucking elites absorbing so much damage. Fighting Brutes right now and things are going much easier since the magnum can deal with them so easily.

theultimo

Big-E said:
Man, legendary solo certainly is getting difficult. I think Reach is more difficult than the other games on legendary. Too many fucking elites absorbing so much damage. Fighting Brutes right now and things are going much easier since the magnum can deal with them so easily.
Plasma Pistol overcharge combo with a DMR is excellent on mowing down stuff.
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Is the Target Locator on any of the matchmaking maps or is it purely a scripted campaign weapon?
I've seen it on firefight a few times.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
in the middle of a move (great timing, i know...), but wanted to chime in that i beat it within 24 hours of purchase on heroic solo and loved every minute of it. my favorite halo thus far, bungie knocked it out of the park. cant wait to get settled in and spend some time online :)

Arnie

Tashi0106 said:

Absolutely spot on, thanks for doing this. Me and my friends have been so frustrated at how Reach calculates assists compared to previous Halo games. It hardly seems to think you have assisted a kill, and this clears it up.

I mentioned earlier that armour lock was a major problem and all I got in reply was, "Har har run away from him", so it's good to see some people actually discussing Reachs mechanics rather than taking them as gospel. You and Juices agree with exactly what I have found in Reach, in previous games I get on average 10 - 15 assists whereas in Reach I get about 3 - 5. I never found this to be the case in the beta so I would like to see what Bungie has changed, and this explains why it's so hard to get a 1600 in the retail build.

In previous Halo games you were given credit for putting shots on opponents whereas now you aren't. I can't count the amount of times in the past few days I have deserved an assist in Arena but not been given one.

Like you say, I hope this is fixed, and quick.

see5harp

kinda ridiculous how arena works. I got stuck with 3 AFKers and ended up with 10 kills and no one else on my team had one. So I'm stuck with a 1279 rating?

Tashi0106 said:

So you only get an assist when your teammate steals a kill instead of you helping him :\

Oozer3993

I was just going through a part of the level
Tip of the Spear
for an achievement and noticed that one of the marines was named M. O'Donnell with the call sign MARTY. Awesome.

MMaRsu

Banned
see5harp said:
kinda ridiculous how arena works. I got stuck with 3 AFKers and ended up with 10 kills and no one else on my team had one. So I'm stuck with a 1279 rating?

Had the same thing happen to me but only with one AFK dude. Ridiculous..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom