• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorfdad said:
I must be the only one on the planet that thinks Reachs Multiplayer sucks.

You think getting kills in MW2 was cheap and easy.. HALO is Jump and Toss grenades and super snipers who hit you behind walls while running.

Honestly I love the single player and the Firefight however the competitive side sucks for me..

Maybe its CALL of duty that ruined me but HALO is way to slow. Every class should be able to run for christ sakes.

Alot of the game modes are just BORING and drawn out. I wanted to like the multiplayer heard good things but Im not into it.

Wonder if I am the only one that feels this way..

Not liking the speed of the game or the gametypes is fine since they might not be for you but to say that kills are cheap and easy is just silly. You have to aim for more than .5 seconds on a guy unlike COD where little bursts kill someone. I don't really get what you are saying about snipers...

Animal

Banned
So I completed the game in Heroic difficulty but I got the glitch where I didn't get the weekly challenged acknowledged (missing 2 out of 9).

Today I log into bungie.net and it thinks I completed the game in legendary.

What's going on here?

Dorfdad said:
I must be the only one on the planet that thinks Reachs Multiplayer sucks.

You think getting kills in MW2 was cheap and easy.. HALO is Jump and Toss grenades and super snipers who hit you behind walls while running.

Honestly I love the single player and the Firefight however the competitive side sucks for me..

Maybe its CALL of duty that ruined me but HALO is way to slow. Every class should be able to run for christ sakes.

Alot of the game modes are just BORING and drawn out. I wanted to like the multiplayer heard good things but Im not into it.

Wonder if I am the only one that feels this way..

I have a few friends on Live who feel the exact same way as you do.

I will say to you what I say to them - first and foremost if you really don't like the deathmatch/multi - don't play it... you'll only feed your dislike for it. Secondly, if you do want to enjoy it or give it another shot, then play it your way... I know it sounds stupid, but I see far too many people spraying each other with AR's and melee/grenades to finish that I can totally see why some people would see it as a boring clusterfuck. As a big CoD fan I find Halo far more balanced and enjoyable providing I can play it my way. I go and find a sniper/DMR/Needle Rifle and I get to a discreet location or high point of any map and go to town with accurate shooting and headshots. I also try to sprint into assassinations as opposed to bashing the melee button in your face, that everyone seems so fond of. If you feel you are being pressured out of your location (I'm not proposing you camp, but it'd be wise to keep an eye on your weapon of choice for respawn) don't be afraid to throw a grenade at someone and sprint away before they can AR spray.

Finally - realise that this is the first few days of a games launch. There are many people who were great at Halo 3 playing Reach with the same success - which can be frustrating for newcomers. More importantly, there are people who are totally new to the gameplay and are happy going 1:1 by charging you spraying bullets/grenades and trying to melee. The fact is, the game is much like MW2 in the sense that you are just going to have to put up with some bad lobbies filled with new players with no idea how to use DMR/bloom/assassinations/AA's etc and feel that the only way they can get kills is to bull-charge and jump at you. It is no different to having to deal with Noob-tubers/Knifers and UMP45 users in MW2... the game is fantastic, tense and strategic when you're playing with the right players - but is a frustrating mess when you're dealing with noobs/wankers. The best part about it however - is when you get good at the game (I'm not sure that I am yet, but I'm getting there) you'll laugh at people who play like that, even if they manage to get a lucky kill off you - and more importantly, Bungie will be 100% dedicated to maintaining the balance and online community as best as possible for at least the next couple of years - so you'll at least be playing a varied, balanced and well thought out multiplayer experience.

Scarecrow

I've noticed some peoples' tags have some kind of symbol beside their name, kinda like CoD's award tags. What's the deal with those?

Absinthe

Stripper13 said:
There should probably be a straight Team Slayer playlist, and a 'hardcore' or 'pro' playlist (just a name - I don't actually mean its for pro's) so that people who enjoy snipers/swat etc can enjoy it. It's a little irritating getting into a good lobby with excellent ping/lag and people constantly choosing snipers/swat. I thoroughly enjoy them, but I don't want sprint to be my only AA every game.

This keeps coming up.. Hope Bungie is listening

Dax01 said:
I don't think there is a map in Reach I can say I dislike. Halo 3 was a different matter (Isolation, Epitaph).

Both the maps you listed are worlds better than the pile of shit that is The Cage. I think it may rank as one of the worst maps ever, in any game.

Square Triangle said:
Boardwalk is such a terrible map. Ugh.

I love that map.

Dani said:
Countdown isn't so bad after all. Wow.

Meh. It's alright, but all the action basically takes place in one half. The Central area and the catwalks surrounding are almost always abandoned in favor of the tunnels that lead up onto that wide balcony. I prefer maps where the action is more spread out.

Trasher

Sai said:
Campaign was amazing. Bittersweet for many reasons, as expected.

Jun never got a confirmed death. Maybe that's something 343 take advantage of at a later time. Kelly's death was so... Underwhelming compared to the others. Sacrificing themselves for the greater good and all that, while she gets a surprise headshot from a Needle Rifle because she was being careless about her suit's shields?
Bah!

Heroic was actually kind of kicking me around the place. Don't know if my skills have dulled, or the Heroic AI's just gotten that much better, but whatever the case... I'm hesitant to take on Legendary now. :lol
Kelly?! :p

Dax01 said:
I don't think there is a map in Reach I can say I dislike. Halo 3 was a different matter (Isolation, Epitaph).

Spire - its just a little too big and ends up in Swat far too often for my liking - it would be fun if people rushed for top control, but considering most people camp the bottom rocks its SO dull. Usually its a few stragglers at the top and its a bit of a clusterfuck up there as you cant risk shooting over the edge - for sure someone will come up behind you.

Not to mention it was probably the most underused location in Single player except maybe Reflection - they really could have had a awesome mission with that - but it pretty much played out like a 2 story building.

BTW - does anyone know if that skull armour is Bungie only?

Best new maps: Boardwalk, Countdown.
Best returning maps: Asylum, Reflection.

Zealot would probably round out a top five, but I haven't played enough of it. The other four are great, though.

Shake Appeal said:
Best new maps: Boardwalk, Countdown.
Best returning maps: Asylum, Reflection.

Zealot would probably round out a top five, but I haven't played enough of it. The other four are great, though.

My top five are, in no order:

Powerhouse
Boneyard
Swordbase
Boardwalk
Countdown

Asylum and Zealot are JUST outside the top five.

I like remakes as much as the next guy, but Ivory Tower wasn't a great map to begin with.

Hemorrhage is quickly becoming my least favorite map in the game. Valhalla felt like a new and interesting take on that classic layout, the new one feels like a giant step backwards.

Clear lines of sight across giant maps are NEVER fun.

I've been playing the fan remakes of Warlock and Hang'em High more than anything though. So great.

Deware80

Banned
Ok GAF help me out, how the hell do your score in stolen flag when you get back to your home base? In big team battle, there I was with the blue team's flag, but as soon as I made to my base it wouldn't score. Does our flag need to be there as well? It just kept saying you need to be home (home base) to score the flag, but I was home! hmmmmm

God damn it and as I type this, a sniper match comes up, Jesus...

theultimo

Deware80 said:
Ok GAF help me out, how the hell do your score in stolen flag when you get back to your home base? In big team battle, there I was with the blue team's flag, but as soon as I made to my base it wouldn't score. Does our flag need to be there as well? It just kept saying you need to be home (home base) to score the flag, but I was home! hmmmmm

God damn it and as I type this, a sniper match comes up, Jesus...
Both flags need to be there.

Shake Appeal said:
Seconded.

I appreciate the fan service, but Valhalla was the best evolution of the "two bases in one canyon" design to date.
Especially with sniping as easy as it is. Getting sniped from someone all the way on the other side of the map (say, near blue base and kills me while I'm near red base) is just so much fun.

Deware80 said:
Your flag has to be at home before you can score.

As Dani will tell you, this sometimes leads to an epic stalemate. Both flags were away for 80% of this game, and yet neither team could score.

Striker

Dirtbag said:
  • The tank ruins every map it appears on, how about a rocket hog instead?
  • Does any map offer suitable 2-Flag CTF for 4 vs 4 symmetry. I guess zealot is the only option? Unfortunate that blood gulch remake is just too big for 4 vs 4. Valhalla > Hemorage
  • Hope the next map pack offers a good symmetrical map that will be suitable for 4 vs 4 CTF as the focus, and a BTB map that can provide an experience similar to standoff or avalanche (with no tank!)
1. A Rocket Hog would just be more destructive. While the precision would be gone, the splash damage of all the rockets would be still hard for people to counter. The tank is fine for me in BTB, but it does need taken out for simple 4v4 action.
2. Oh no, Hemorrhage is infinitely more fun than Valhalla. Not more simple camps on the hill causing back and forth shit. Plus the Laser. All Hemorrhage needs is a Plasma Pistol in the cave section, and the Rockets in the middle. Perhaps add stickies near the trees past the teleporter spot to each, as well.
3. Asylum is pretty damn fun for 2-Flag. I do agree they need more symmetrical maps; the same issue was with Halo 3, because really outside The Pit, Standoff, and Narrows, it was hard to come by (I discount the Mythic maps because they came really late and when much of the population had left). If we get more BTB natured maps that aren't built in Forge World or used for simply invasion, they better be similar to Halo 2 style BTB maps, not Halo 3's set. I would love for a map set in the FireFight area Outpost. Reminds me so strongly of Burial Mounds.

Relatively minor grievance, but I feel like the window for multikills in Firefight (and I guess Campaign) is far too short. Can't rack up ridiculous multis on Grunts without perfect shooting, especially now that some of them have faceplates. I've taken to defaceplating them before I begin the multikill to compensate. Jackals are also hard to bag in such quick succession.

Started my solo Legendary run. Finished the first 3 missions. I played through on Heroic with a buddy in Co-Op first time through. Noticing so much more detail this time. Reach is full of it. It's by far the most detailed Halo game. The tiny little things...And the game looks absolutely amazing. Amazing art, great varied atmosphere from level to level...Just...Damn.

Striker said:
2. Oh no, Hemorrhage is infinitely more fun than Valhalla. Not more simple camps on the hill causing back and forth shit. Plus the Laser. All Hemorrhage needs is a Plasma Pistol in the cave section, and the Rockets in the middle. Perhaps add stickies near the trees past the teleporter spot to each, as well.

Wide open sight lines on giant maps is NEVER fun. Valhalla gave players more environmental cover to put between themselves and snipers, not to mention escape vehicles. Every freaking match descends into vehicle rushes and sniper stand-offs, while on-foot players are forced to hug the walls on either side. Yawn.

Adding a Laser would actually make THIS version of the two-base layout better, cause it would balance the power differential between the vehicles and the infantry. Or at least it would put a little bit of trepidation behind the decision to take a vehicle across the map all willy-nilly.

Proc

I'm digging the campaign so far. Its been running pretty poorly on my 360 though. Pretty bad frame rate hiccups outside of cutscenes and the music will drop in and out of sync. I notice the enemy bodies vanishing far too quickly too. The in game loading is rather annoying too.

I've cleared my 360's cache, installed it to the hdd. My 360 is fairly new (hdmi arcade). Any suggestions?

Are the Arena scores across both playlists, or does each get its own? I ended up in the 1400's in Doubles Arena, and I'm sure I could do better than that with a larger team, but I don't have any friends that I trust enough to bring with me :lol

Aggrotek

Dax01 said:
Especially with sniping as easy as it is. Getting sniper from someone all the way on the other side of the map (say, near blue base and kills me while I'm near red base) is just so much fun.
That, and I ended up in a 4v4 with tanks on. Terrible. 4v4 is way too few people for a tank.

feel

Bah, my special editions won't be getting here this week, kind of tired of waiting, I'm getting a regular copy tomorrow to play during the weekend. I'll end up with 3 copies of Reach, one of each sku (middle one will be a gift to a friend), go go Microsoft's September NPD dominance!

The playlists and maps need quite a bit of tweaks but I could really see Reach being really amazing. Impressions post and Playlist post's to come.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Man I can't believe it. 7 outta 7 armor pieces unlocked and all achievements minus Make it Rain and An honor serving are mine. I love this game.

Well I love it except the lack of a classic slayer playlist. Fuck swat and snipers.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Thanks for the kind words maybe I need to get a few people who are good/decent to show me the ropes

Add me please if you can tolerate a newish player - add Dorfdad

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Valhalla's layout, the focal point of the point - the middle hill, played a big part in balancing the two two base design. The middle attracted players - placing a power weapon there was ideal as everyone quickly spotted it and identified the need to get there first and secure it.

In Haemo, there's a Plasma Launcher somewhere in the middle hills. I have no idea where it is but a vague notion of "somewhere" between the bases.

The mancannon on each base in Valhalla provided an excellent risk reward mechanic whilst promoting map movement. You could get to the hill in seconds (the focal point) but were exposed in the air for doing so.

Haemo's teleporters deliver players to different sides of the map, each with it's own pro's and cons in the geometry (one side being arguably better than the other). There's no real focal point for the teams, no risk in the instant travel bar the annoying folks that camp the opposite teleporter and that feels cheap.

Default Vahalla felt full with two two mongeese, a warthog and sometimes a banshee for each team. Haemo on the otherhand is just packed - two mongeese, a ghost, two warthogs and a revenant for each team, oh, and a dominating scorpion tank.

I'm loving Haemo despite it's flaws. It's no Valhalla though.

Proc said:
I'm digging the campaign so far. Its been running pretty poorly on my 360 though. Pretty bad frame rate hiccups outside of cutscenes and the music will drop in and out of sync. I notice the enemy bodies vanishing far too quickly too. The in game loading is rather annoying too.

I've cleared my 360's cache, installed it to the hdd. My 360 is fairly new (hdmi arcade). Any suggestions?

I'm seeing the same thing. Installed as well. I think that's just how it is.

Elixist

Proc said:

Its the game man, dont let anyone tell you different. Fucking awesome graphics with up and down frames all over the place. That said the campaign is pretty stunning just pushin the 3-6 a little too far.

taylor910

This game is soooo good. I never thought I could like firefight, but I just played like 8 rounds and had a blast. Here are my only gripes so far (mp only):

-The tank is way too powerful. The turret swings so fast, the rate of fire is too fast, it takes too many nades to kill it. Plus, is the hog gunner nerfed? Seems like it is not as strong as h3.

-PLEASE do not separate parties. Especially since now you get a "time out" if you quit a game. I went into a game with one person and we got split up. Really shitty.

Other than that I absolutely love everything. Well, spawns....nah I won't bitch anymore. :D

Orlics

So I finished the campaign today. Spoilers below.

Anyone notice how Bungie seemingly screwed up a lot of the established canon from the point that you meet Cortana? I kinda feel bad, because I saw Eric Nylund in the credits, and they essentially took a shit on his book in the last third of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom