• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Orlics said:
So I finished the campaign today. Spoilers below.

Anyone notice how Bungie seemingly screwed up a lot of the established canon from the point that you meet Cortana? I kinda feel bad, because I saw Eric Nylund in the credits, and they essentially took a shit on his book in the last third of the game.

you are rite, but I blame 343

Elixist said:
Its the game man, dont let anyone tell you different. Fucking awesome graphics with up and down frames all over the place. That said the campaign is pretty stunning just pushin the 3-6 a little too far.

Except my game runs perfect. There's something that makes it drop like that.

Formless

4 player splitscreen is pretty annoying when the text pops in front of the crosshairs, any way to turn the messages off or something?

Tokubetsu

Just had an awesome round of Slayer DMRs in Team Arena on Countdown:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=26299185&player=Tokubetsu

Easily the best game I've had on that map so far. We were pretty much just trolling them the entire game. We'd engage and have one or two of us run around and flank them. All of this without any communication whatsoever. Never realized there were so many routes to everything on that map. Pulled off a 1500 daily rating today! w00t.

big ander

I finished Heroic Solo today. It was excellent.
Long Night of Solace was by far my favorite mission. Nightfall and New Alexandria were two favorites also. Didn't care much for Exodus or Tip of the Spear.
The rest were great. The campaign just looks BEAUTIFUL. I know it's been said a thousand times, but it's worth saying a thousand times more. I had to stop at certain points in the game and just look at where I was. So amazing.
Narrative-wise, the game is good but not great.
Jun got virtually nothing in the way of development, from what I remember. I thought from pre-release comments that Six would have a cooler backstory than "secret fighter pilot." Kat's interactions with Carter were alright, and they way she treated everyone else defined her some. Carter was actually pretty great. In fact, the way he and the entire squad end up accepting six over the course of the game was very nice. Jorge was the best character for sure. We really got to see his connection with Reach, the Spartans overall, and Halsey. Halsey comes off as completely cold in the game, but from the journal and the books we know that she had the best intentions.
Jorge's death (technically transportation to a random location in space with a depressurized space ship, but whatever) was just perfect. God damn.
Kat's death wasn't all that good. It was sudden, and left you a little hurt, but for some reason I didn't feel shocked or ad.
Carter went out like a boss. Another great exit.
Emile's death was sad, especially because he cemented the feeling of Six being part of the squad with his actions in Pillar of Autumn.
Maybe we'll see some DLC with Jun?
So I loved some of the characters, but the actual story was only okay. If you look at it as just a defense story, it's fine, but I was confused by some of the stuff with Cortana and the Forerunner facility and the POA being docked. I'm sure it can make sense in the canon somehow, but right now I don't get it.
Dani, get somebody at FUD to work on explaining everything the way AJ used to! :p
The gameplay is so damn good. I don't play many games. But I've always loved Halo because the gameplay has always been so satisfying to me. I always feel like the game is really doing what I'm telling it to do. Reach takes this to a whole new level by adding even more weapons, but still ensuring that each gun has its niche to fill. It's amazing. And the AAs add another layer on top of everything that makes encounters that much more strategic while still leaving the basics the same. It adds so much and takes nothing away. Vehicles all have their own area of expertise, too.
Haven't played a ton of MP yet, but Firefight matchmaking is awesome. It's exactly what I want from firefight. I didn't realize it until now. In fact, I was one of the people when ODST came out saying it would be useless. But it's so much fun.
I need to go play more MP now. Get some Daily's done :D

BladedExpert said:
Glad to have Humpdays back. Bungie destroyed. And it's been said, but Hallway! :D

Oozer3993

My Limited Edition guide has shipped and has an expected delivery date of tomorrow. :D

I admit it. I totally cheesed the Firefight achievements earlier tonight. It was fun, at first, but it took a long time to get to 1 million points. I hit the magic number at exactly the 1 hour mark, after running off over 1000 kills, unlocking an Avatar reward and netting 12 Killionaires.

How did I not notice this before:

The very first mission of the very first Halo game is called Pillar of Autumn. The last mission of the last (Bungie) Halo game is called... Pillar of Autumn. Bringing things full circle.

Damn it, damn it all to hell and damnation.

If these people in the Team Slayer don't stop voting for Snipers, SWAT, and Slayer Pro, I'm going to suplex my Xbox. that's it, I'm done with Team Slayer until it's ACTUALLY A TEAM SLAYER LIST. I'm going to Team Objective or something where i can actually get a good balance of weaponry, and y'know, ACTUALLY USE THE ARMOR ABILITIES THAT BUNGIE MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL OUT OF.

/rage

PS: Team Snipers on Cage or whatever in God's name the Forge World map is called is enough to snap the disc in half. I was getting killed literally 1 second after spawn a number of times. Firefight was the only highlight of my Reach session today.

_Bro

Banned
Please remove Pinnacle from all playlists. Such a shitty, unbalanced map.

"They get power weapons and you get a tower!" Okay, that doesn't change the fact that we keep taking pot shots at one another for an entire match where nothing happens.

Fuck, worst map in Halo history.

Puddles

Banned
So Hemorrhage is basically Blood Gulch?

I don't see the problem, since Blood Gulch was the best Halo CE map, especially for Team Slayer.

Foxix Von

PsychoRaven said:
FUCK YOU!! j/k

Normally shit like that doesn't get me but this time it damn well did. I haven't jumped like that since well I was a kid watching horror movies at the rip old age of 8 or so.

FUuuuuuuck I had my headphones on too. Gaaaahhh.

Havok

Reading hate for Ascension: does not compute. One of the best maps in Halo history, and awesome in Reach as well.

I've only played a single Hemorrhage game, and I couldn't shake the feeling that things were backwards, and its because they are! The bases are switched from light side to dark and vice versa. It's really throwing me for a loop.

X-Frame

Net_Wrecker said:

If these people in the Team Slayer don't stop voting for Snipers, SWAT, and Slayer Pro, I'm going to suplex my Xbox. that's it, I'm done with Team Slayer until it's ACTUALLY A TEAM SLAYER LIST. I'm going to Team Objective or something where i can actually get a good balance of weaponry, and y'know, ACTUALLY USE THE ARMOR ABILITIES THAT BUNGIE MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL OUT OF.

/rage

PS: Team Snipers on Cage or whatever in God's name the Forge World map is called is enough to snap the disc in half. I was getting killed literally 1 second after spawn a number of times. Firefight was the only highlight of my Reach session today.

I dislike Snipers, SWAT, and Slayer Pro as well. They're just too boring for me. That's why I like Invasion and the larger objective games. Snipers is the worst though - just 8 retards trying to no-scope each other when they're close enough to kiss.

ElRenoRaven

Net_Wrecker said:

/rage

I'm so with you. Whoever the genius was that thought let's put snipers and swat into the team slayer playlist and put it in there as an option 99 percent of the time needs a good ass kicking. It's even worse because there is no MLG playlist so the regular one's are flooded with the type that love those gametypes.

I can only hope that this is fixed quick. As it is I'm really freaking hating team slayer and that was my favorite in Halo 3.

watership

Thagomizer said:
Holy crap, this game is sooooo much harder than Halo 3. I have to put 3-4 skulls on before Legendary is a challenge (outside of the trouble spots like the Brute Pack in Crow's Nest) in H3, but I have to fight just to survive in Reach.

On Heroic.

Jesus :lol

Every time i read this I feel validated that I don't suck as much as I thought I did during my run.

big ander

Kimosabae said:
Umm...

Why is there a golf club in this game?
There were golf clubs on some Halo 3 maps too. The reason: because.
Maybe with more customizable maps and gametypes we could see an awesome mini-golf game in Reach.
PsychoRaven said:
I'm so with you. Whoever the genius was that thought let's put snipers and swat into the team slayer playlist needs a good ass kicking. It's even worse because there is no MLG playlist so the regular one's are flooded with the type that love those gametypes.

I can only hope that this is fixed quick. As it is I'm really freaking hating team slayer and that was my favorite in Halo 3.
Also agreed. I have fun playing DMRs, and the occasional SWAT and Snipers, but Slayer is currently about 90% those gametypes. I do also want to play Slayer now. Not Classic. Not Pro. Just Slayer.
But I trust there are plans for that soon.

Deadly

Orlics said:
So I finished the campaign today. Spoilers below.

Anyone notice how Bungie seemingly screwed up a lot of the established canon from the point that you meet Cortana? I kinda feel bad, because I saw Eric Nylund in the credits, and they essentially took a shit on his book in the last third of the game.
Do you have the Limited Edition? Go read Halsey's journal. If not
The Cortana you meet is actually a split off copy of her. Also the journal says Halsey has questions about Noble Team but she can't make exact conclusions as who they are since they were so different from Jorge. The only huge retcon would be the Pillar of Autumn still being on the planet while it was being invaded.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Finished my solo legendary run. Just the UNSC rank achievements left.

Wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, actually was more fun then my rush rush coop play through. I remember trying and giving up pretty fast in previous halo games, but there was no achievement to motivate me there.

my connection was alwful tonight, it was like playing the teleporter game. I was reliving my teen years playing UT with the damn telelink gun. Reach handled it as well as any game, but the lag was just terrible. Now I know what DSLGunstar feels like. :lol

Dirtbag

Square Triangle said:
Boardwalk is such a terrible map. Ugh.

_Bro said:
Please remove Pinnacle from all playlists. Such a shitty, unbalanced map.

"They get power weapons and you get a tower!" Okay, that doesn't change the fact that we keep taking pot shots at one another for an entire match where nothing happens.

Fuck, worst map in Halo history.

WRONG AND WRONG!

RSB

Banned
watership said:
Every time i read this I feel validated that I don't suck as much as I thought I did during my run.
Yeah, Reach is hard. Maybe I'm not yet adjusted to the new feel of the gameplay, but I had problems in quite a few points throughout the Campaign, and I was just playing on Heroic (that's coming from someone who has beaten Halo 2 on Legendary, twice) I can't wait to start my Solo Legendary run, with both scoring and the Grunt Birthday Party skull turned on... it's gonna be fun :D

Bye ;)

Here's something: I wish the remakes of ascension, sanctuary etc (I don't remember the Reach names yet... sue me) didn't all have the forge world color scheme. Some different colored grass or sky or something would help it seem a little more varied.

Puddles

Banned
This game is way harder than Halo 3 because Bungie thought it would be cute to give Elites the lateral speed of a Matrix agent. For whatever reason they also thought it would be awesome if a silver Elite's reaction to getting headshotted by the fucking sniper rifle was to immediately duck behind the closest cover before you can get a second shot off.

And for whatever reason, it's way harder to bait Elites now. They never charge at you unless they're cloaked. No, they'd much rather hang back and pepper your shields with annoying plasma fire, ducking behind cover every time you make a dent in their shields.

I realize this is a "smart" tactic, but it's not so fun, goddammit! :lol

McNei1y

Someone needs to remake Damnation. The Hang Em High remake is on par.

I love this game. I haven't beaten campaign yet so I am trying to steer very clear of this topic but I have to say something negative regarding bungie. How lazy can you be? Lets copy campaign missions and make them multiplayer maps!! Screw originality, lets also remake old maps... using forge!

I mostly love the maps too, I just find it odd and boring that after playing MP for awhile, I have to see the same design in single player. Plus, Boardwalk is the worst map of them all. They really got unimaginative with that map.

I hope they hold a contest for best user created map every month or so and throw it into ranked.

Some hilarity involving the booting system and a Falcon. I'd love to get this rendered

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=467312&player=beat82

I grab the core from the top of Spire, my battle bro brings the Falcon around. I hop on top of it, and he starts descending. Someone on our team tries to jetpack on top of the Falcon, hits the rotors and dies. Counts as a betrayal for my teammate, who gets booted. The Falcon plummets and I die from fall damage :lol

bigswords

Proc said:
I'm digging the campaign so far. Its been running pretty poorly on my 360 though. Pretty bad frame rate hiccups outside of cutscenes and the music will drop in and out of sync. I notice the enemy bodies vanishing far too quickly too. The in game loading is rather annoying too.

I've cleared my 360's cache, installed it to the hdd. My 360 is fairly new (hdmi arcade). Any suggestions?

Gotta ask Bungie to code it tighter. There's this weird ghosting/filter when switching weapons or sprinting.

But nonetheless it's really a beautiful game.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Puddles said:
This game is way harder than Halo 3 because Bungie thought it would be cute to give Elites the lateral speed of a Matrix agent. For whatever reason they also thought it would be awesome if a silver Elite's reaction to getting headshotted by the fucking sniper rifle was to immediately duck behind the closest cover before you can get a second shot off.

And for whatever reason, it's way harder to bait Elites now. They never charge at you unless they're cloaked. No, they'd much rather hang back and pepper your shields with annoying plasma fire, ducking behind cover every time you make a dent in their shields.

I realize this is a "smart" tactic, but it's not so fun, goddammit! :lol
Without the plasma pistol I am sure it would be impossible to kill an elite and have ammo left.

Justinian

Ajemsuhgao said:
Except my game runs perfect. There's something that makes it drop like that.

What I really want is Bungie to offer some explaination for why they shipped a Halo game with framerates this bad. The slowdowns are as bad as the worst parts in Mass Effect FFS, and yes, it does affect the gameplay when you have a couple Elites dodging and weaving and you can barely aim at them because of the skippy frames and increased input lag.

Most of the game runs fine but the sections suffering from low framerate should never have gotten past QA. I've always admired Bungie for sticking to a perfect 30FPS in their Halo games even if it meant sacrificing some eye candy to do it. Now it looks like they don't really give a crap about the gameplay and that saddens me.

Quite honestly I'm willing to forgive a few drops when there are explosions everywhere in the thickest of battles, but the fact there are ENTIRE sections of the game that run like crap is really inexcusable coming from Bungie.

I think this is the best Halo ever and it is absolutely heart-wrenchingly dissapointing that it doesn't run like it should. Normally I'd jump straight back into the game to experience the battles over and over, but I'm not looking forward to struggling through those sections with crappy framerate because it feels like I'm fighting the game and not the enemies.

Basically the framerate has ruined what should have been the best Halo ever for me. Very sad :(

bigswords said:
Gotta ask Bungie to code it tighter. There's this weird ghosting/filter when switching weapons or sprinting.

But nonetheless it's really a beautiful game.

None of these things are happening to me. :lol

Guess I'm super lucky.

unomas

Banned
user_nat said:
Finished my solo legendary run. Just the UNSC rank achievements left.

Wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, actually was more fun then my rush rush coop play through. I remember trying and giving up pretty fast in previous halo games, but there was no achievement to motivate me there.

Glad I know of at least one gaffer to beat Legendary on solo, I'm struggling on the 4th mission, but will start up again tonight, hopefully I at least finish that mission for the night.

watership

FilthyLies said:
Some hilarity involving the booting system and a Falcon. I'd love to get this rendered

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=467312&player=beat82

I grab the core from the top of Spire, my battle bro brings the Falcon around. I hop on top of it, and he starts descending. Someone on our team tries to jetpack on top of the Falcon, hits the rotors and dies. Counts as a betrayal for my teammate, who gets booted. The Falcon plummets and I die from fall damage :lol

Spire is my fav map so far, so, rendered.

Dear Bungle,

What's up with Assists? They hardly ever happen anymore. I have a .5 per game for assists. I remember getting a ton in the beta. I am disappoint.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
My audio has gone all muffled in the SP campaign, at first I thought it was because of the environment I was in but now I'm not so sure, anyone else?

Edit - ok, I'm stupid, makes sense now.

RSB

Banned
The frame-rate is fine, at least for me (I'm playing in my new Reach Slim, if that matters) There were like three specific places in the Campaign with slowdowns, and they weren't caused by the amount of stuff on the screen, that's for sure (I guess it is related to the level streaming or something) Almost all of the battles in the game run perfect, even when there's a lot of stuff going on. Halo CE is still the worst Halo in the framerate department (doesn't change the fact that it is still my favorite Halo Campaign :D)

Bye ;)

Hey You

Multi Team Swat does not belong on the cage or Pinnacle. Too many people.

And why in many playlists are there only 2 options + None of the above? Like in Invasion for example.

U2NUMB

Church RvB said:
Dear Bungle,

What's up with Assists? They hardly ever happen anymore. I have a .5 per game for assists. I remember getting a ton in the beta. I am disappoint.

I noticed this today while going for the daily challenge. It seems very hit or miss as to when they dish out the assists.

pahamrick

Does anyone have any pointers for
Long Night Of Solace on Solo Legendary? I've made it to the Corvette Cruiser, but as soon as I drop down inside the elites in there just wipe the floor with me. My poor little marine buddies tend to die with 5 to 10 seconds once they drop in as well. The closest I've gotten is down to two elites until I get bum rushed from both sides and then nailed from behind with an elite dual wielding as I try to find cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom