• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

So if I'm a Bungie Pro subscriber, I take it that does not carry over into Reach? I'm a subscriber and have my 24 slots and bucket of render minutes for use on Halo 3, but have six slots and can't render for Reach. But when I go to the Bungie Pro project page, it says I need to subscribe to Bungie Pro via Halo 3 or ODST. Do I need a separate subscription? What did those of you who have access do to render films?

seady

I don't play FPS often, so I know I am suck coming into this. But how come I can't ever kill anyone even when I shoot them straight for like 5 seconds, while they can simply turn around and kill me within 2 second?

Hey You

xxjuicesxx said:
The playlists and maps need quite a bit of tweaks but I could really see Reach being really amazing.
Agreed. Things should defiantly get more interesting when Community gametype/map submission starts and Bungie gets some playlist data.

Edit: People are complaining about Hemorrhage not being like Valhalla? All this time, people have been begging for BG back.:lol :lol

rObit

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
So if I'm a Bungie Pro subscriber, I take it that does not carry over into Reach? I'm a subscriber and have my 24 slots and bucket of render minutes for use on Halo 3, but have six slots and can't render for Reach. But when I go to the Bungie Pro project page, it says I need to subscribe to Bungie Pro via Halo 3 or ODST. Do I need a separate subscription? What did those of you who have access do to render films?

Sounds like a bug. I subscribed a few months ago and rendering and extended file share are both working properly in Reach.

*edit* Signed up for Pro when the beta came out, but did so through ODST.

watership

seady said:
I don't play FPS often, so I know I am suck coming into this. But how come I can't ever kill anyone even when I shoot them straight for like 5 seconds, while they can simply turn around and kill me within 2 second?

Because the enemies are tougher and have better tech than you. You really need to know each type and figure out what kills them best. Each type also has many ranked types, with better armor and shields. Headshots, grenades, melee, using the environment, it's as much strategy as it is, skill and for some, luck. :)

Throw a grenade, rush them while firing at their head, finish with the butt of your rifle. It's awesome and it works.

Havok

unomas said:
Glad I know of at least one gaffer to beat Legendary on solo, I'm struggling on the 4th mission, but will start up again tonight, hopefully I at least finish that mission for the night.
I did it in one and a half sittings of *checks* around 9 hours (it was a good day, and that time also includes around an hour and a half of jumping off a certain cliff to try and get an achievement), and just take it slow and don't feel like you have to rush. It's not difficult if you play smart instead of bashing your head against it.

Ran into a bug....I think, Im playing the campaign and dont see any of my soldiers around in a certain spot and sure can use their help playing on Heroic, I hear them talking to me but dont see them.

MGHA

How the hell do i play CTF? Thats all I want to play. I join big team battle and everyone instantly votes Slayer its pissing me off.

seady

watership said:
Because the enemies are tougher and have better tech than you. You really need to know each type and figure out what kills them best. Each type also has many ranked types, with better armor and shields. Headshots, grenades, melee, using the environment, it's as much strategy as it is, skill and for some, luck. :)

Throw a grenade, rush them while firing at their head, finish with the butt of your rifle. It's awesome and it works.

I mean in multiplayer online. Is there so much strategy involved there too as we are all the same type.

unomas said:
Glad I know of at least one gaffer to beat Legendary on solo, I'm struggling on the 4th mission, but will start up again tonight, hopefully I at least finish that mission for the night.

The last mission (solo legendary) makes the rest of the game look like a cakewalk. It was rough bet very doable.

seady said:
I mean in multiplayer online. Is there so much strategy involved there too as we are all the same type.

You can't just run into a skilled player shooting your AR at them and expect to get the kill. You just have to learn what weapons are best for each situation (and don't throw grenades when you are in the middle of a fight, that makes you a free kill for the other guy)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
Upload something.

GhaleonEB

Edit: resubscribed to Bungie Pro, which had lapsed.

I did two games of Score Attack, both on Beachhead. Great map.

First game, scored 19,976, and never died. Achievement unlocked. :D

Best moment rendered here: nearly getting toasted by Skirmishers and then going on a headshot spree. Note the one that blazes past me so fast my old man reaction time was delayed a full second.

I took too long on the Jackal Wave and so the Elites didn't get dropped off in time to kill any of them.

On the second game, I was quicker and got to the Elite wave to take out a few. Score, 22,832. Deaths: zero.

Score Attack is awesome, awesome is Score Attack. (And thanks for the Nerfle tip, Lars. Works like a charm. :D)

feel

Justinian said:
What I really want is Bungie to offer some explaination for why they shipped a Halo game with framerates this bad. The slowdowns are as bad as the worst parts in Mass Effect FFS, and yes, it does affect the gameplay when you have a couple Elites dodging and weaving and you can barely aim at them because of the skippy frames and increased input lag.

Most of the game runs fine but the sections suffering from low framerate should never have gotten past QA. I've always admired Bungie for sticking to a perfect 30FPS in their Halo games even if it meant sacrificing some eye candy to do it. Now it looks like they don't really give a crap about the gameplay and that saddens me.

Quite honestly I'm willing to forgive a few drops when there are explosions everywhere in the thickest of battles, but the fact there are ENTIRE sections of the game that run like crap is really inexcusable coming from Bungie.

I think this is the best Halo ever and it is absolutely heart-wrenchingly dissapointing that it doesn't run like it should. Normally I'd jump straight back into the game to experience the battles over and over, but I'm not looking forward to struggling through those sections with crappy framerate because it feels like I'm fighting the game and not the enemies.

Basically the framerate has ruined what should have been the best Halo ever for me. Very sad :(
I think the performance varies from console model to console model. Some seem to be experiencing the same awful performance as you, and some say it's just not there or that the issue is extremely minor. I'm really wishing urk touches on this issue tomorrow, with the soothing words that there is a title update coming in the near future that fixes the framerate for everyone, but sadly what will most likely happen is that Bungie won't acknowledge it at all until they're about to ship their next game.

Just quit three matches in a row.

No regrets.

Every time this game starts building up some goodwill with me, it turns around and starts making feel like an idiot for playing it.

I'd expected Reach would carry most of my multiplayer time for the next several months, but 11.9.10 is feeling like a more important date with every bullshit DMR non-kill.

pahamrick

Letters said:
I think the performance varies from console model to console model. Some seem to be experience the same awful performance as you, and some say it's just not there or that the issue is extremely minor. I'm really wishing urk touches on this issue tomorrow, with the soothing words that there is a title update coming in the near future that fixes the framerate for everyone, but sadly what most likely happen is that Bungie won't acknowledge it at all until they're about to ship their next game.

96% of my frame rate issues have all been during cutscenes. The only time I had frame rate issues during actual campaign so far is when I quite a few enemies, followed by several chain explosions. It chugged for a second, froze then straightened out pretty quick.

Almost every major cutscene has had some sort of slow down issue for me, which is a bummer as it ruins the cinematic quality.

Holy shit, what the FUCK was Bungie thinking adding that anti-gravity space on Zealot? Whenever a team gets a comfortable lead, they just go up there and camp the lifts.

Broken.

dslgunstar said:
Just quit three matches in a row.

No regrets.

Every time this game starts building up some goodwill with me, it turns around and starts making feel like an idiot for playing it.

I'd expected Reach would carry most of my multiplayer time for the next several months, but 11.9.10 is feeling like a more important date with every bullshit DMR non-kill.

Halo isn't for everyone, CoD is great for people who don't want a challenge.

pahamrick said:
96% of my frame rate issues have all been during cutscenes. The only time I had frame rate issues during actual campaign so far is when I quite a few enemies, followed by several chain explosions. It chugged for a second, froze then straightened out pretty quick.

Almost every major cutscene has had some sort of slow down issue for me, which is a bummer as it ruins the cinematic quality.

Yeah it has never happened to me during gameplay which is okay with me.

Mendelevium said:
Same here. Quitting out of a game because it wasn't something you chose to play causes you to be banned from matchmaking for 15 minutes? Is that suppose to teach me something? Put in a CTF playlist for heavens sake, have they learned nothing.

You ruin the game for everyone else when you quit. They took out team objective in halo 3 because no one wanted to play it (i loved the playlist but it was the least played).

MGHA

Same here. Quitting out of a game because it wasn't something you chose to play causes you to be banned from matchmaking for 15 minutes? Is that suppose to teach me something? Put in a CTF playlist for heavens sake, have they learned nothing.

JMizzlin

My favourite thing about MP? Daily Challenges. These things have kept MP on a day-to-day basis fresh for me, providing a nice little series of meta-challenges to aim for.

Only problem I have is the fact the tally on the lobby resets daily. I wish it would keep 'daily challenges completed' as the number that really have been completed, then milestones would award even more. Is this possible to do, Bungie? Or will I always be limited to '4 daily challenges completed' every day?

Sibylus

Banned
Aside from seemingly random slowdown in cinematics, I generally only notice slowdown when particles are drawing over a sizable portion of the screen (such as smoke).

cuevas said:
Halo isn't for everyone, CoD is great for people who don't want a challenge.

:lol

I've always been a bigger fan of the Halo gameplay style for exactly that reason.

The thing I loved about Halo was that every kill felt earned. Stepping into any battle or one-on-one encounter, I felt like I had full control of my destiny. If I died, it always felt as though I was out-performed. If I came out on top, I felt like it was a direct result of how I performed.

Not so in Reach. Every encounter feels completely random. If I kill a guy in five shots, it doesnt feel satisfying, it doesnt feel like I earned it, it just feels like the dice came up in my favor. Likewise, when I get gunned down...although its particularly angering when I get gunned down after pumping 8 DMR shots into the other guy first.

And the idea of jumping onto the COD bandwagon doesnt really appeal to me, cause I'm not a fan of 'whoever sees the other guy first wins', but at least that shit is consistent.

Puddles

Banned
I understand the rage against SWAT, but what does everyone have against snipers?

I love it. The sniper rifle is easily my favorite weapon to use, and shotty sniper was my favorite gametype by far in Halo 3. So damn fun. I pretty much play the single player game as shotty sniper.

seady said:

Shoot them in the body 4 times with a DMR, and wait for the bloom to decrease and get the final shot on their head.

1. 4 body shots
2. wait
3. ???
4. aim for the head, profit

General halo tips:

1. Get some great angles to shoot the opponent and or lure them into you. Sometimes you'll be at a corner of a wall. They surprise you, and thus they have the advantage in the battle. Back up, hug the wall and throw a grenade where and when you expect them to round the corner. Noobs fall for this all the time.
2. Strafe!!!
3. Don't chase unless you're absolutely sure he has no teammates or power weapons.
4. Call out
5. Learn to use as little space as possible to trick an opponent. Example: Sometimes hiding behind a tiny pillar can cause them to chase you. You can bank a grenade off the the little pillar if they come towards you as you back away from the pillar. If you don't have any grenades, you can melee them to get them one shot or try to circle the pillar and be on the opposite side of your opponent buying you time. This little time can mean the world since teammates can spot you and save you. Here's a video showcasing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpKnTQzZZw#t=7m39s
6. Don't rush them unless you have teammates.
7. Try to figure out power positions on map. Usually, the higher up, the more power you have.
8. When you spawn search for teammates in battles so you can get 1 or 2 shots on the opponent from far away. Remember, you now have a DMR that's great at long distances. Utilize it to it's full potential. Your teammates will thank you, and your team will benefit.
9. Nade areas where a teammate just died. Chances are, the opponent is still there or not far away.

dslgunstar said:
:lol

I've always been a bigger fan of the Halo gameplay style for exactly that reason.

The thing I loved about Halo was that every kill felt earned. Stepping into any battle or one-on-one encounter, I felt like I had full control of my destiny. If I died, it always felt as though I was out-performed. If I came out on top, I felt like it was a direct result of how I performed.

Not so in Reach. Every encounter feels completely random. If I kill a guy in five shots, it doesnt feel satisfying, it doesnt feel like I earned it, it just feels like the dice came up in my favor. Likewise, when I get gunned down...although its particularly angering when I get gunned down after pumping 8 DMR shots into the other guy first.

And the idea of jumping onto the COD bandwagon doesnt really appeal to me, cause I'm not a fan of 'whoever sees the other guy first wins', but at least that shit is consistent.

I felt the same initially but realized that I just had to get my rhythm with the guns down. In H3 you could just keep shooting your BR but you can't do that in Reach, you have to time it better to be able to get those headshots.

Mendelevium said:

Seriously. My #1 problem with Halo 3 was the Matchmaking lists which pretty much drove me to play CoD4 as my primary shooter for the first year or so after release. Unfortunately it hasn't gotten any better in 3 years.

The standard choices should've been:

-Rumble Pit

-Team Slayer (AND ONLY STANDARD TEAM SLAYER using Armor Abilities)
-Team Slayer Mix (SWAT, Snipers, Slayer Pro, etc.)

-Capture The Flag (One flag, Two flag, Stockpile, etc.)
-Team Objective Mix (Oddball, Territories, King of The Hill, etc. etc)

-Big Team Slayer
-Big Team Capture The Flag (One flag, Two flag, Stockpile, etc.)
-Big Team Objective (everything else)

-Invasion

Let the deathmatch, and flag game variants have some space to breathe. From there they could create more lists, and change the daily challenges depending on what was getting popular/neglected.

Ballistik

cuevas said:
I felt the same initially but realized that I just had to get my rhythm with the guns down. In H3 you could just keep shooting your BR but you can't do that in Reach, you have to time it better to be able to get those headshots.
I'd say that the difference now is that when both of you have no shields, one can wait for the bloom to go down and time the headshot, while the other can try to get lucky and spam the trigger. The lucky guy can win now.

feel

Net_Wrecker said:
Seriously. My #1 problem with Halo 3 was the Matchmaking lists which pretty much drove me to play CoD4 as my primary shooter for the first year or so after release. Unfortunately it hasn't gotten any better in 3 years.

The standard choices should've been:

-Rumble Pit

-Team Slayer (AND ONLY STANDARD TEAM SLAYER using Armor Abilities)
-Team Slayer Mix (SWAT, Snipers, Slayer Pro, etc.)

-Capture The Flag (One flag, Two flag, Stockpile, etc.)
-Team Objective Mix (Oddball, Territories, King of The Hill, etc. etc)

-Big Team Slayer
-Big Team Capture The Flag (One flag, Two flag, Stockpile, etc.)
-Big Team Objective (everything else)

-Invasion

Let the deathmatch, and flag game variants have some space to breathe. From there they could create more lists depending on what was getting popular/neglected.
No thanks. I'd rather get forced to play something I don't want to, it makes more sense.

Ballistik said:
I'd say that the difference now is that when both of you have no shields, one can wait for the bloom to go down and time the headshot, while the other can try to get lucky and spam the trigger. The lucky guy can win now.

That's true but you will most likely always beat the noob running straight at you with an AR.

Striker

They just need to adjust weightings. SWAT and Snipers should show up less in Team Slayer, and should show up rarely in Big Team Battle.

For Objective, it should mostly be CTF (most weight) , Assault (second most), then a mixture of weightings of Oddball (hopefully the Drop Shield removal is soon...), KotH, Headhunter, Territories and Stockpile.

Either way, quitting because you didn't get your game is childish.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
They just need to adjust weightings. SWAT and Snipers should show up less in Team Slayer, and should show up rarely in Big Team Battle.

For Objective, it should mostly be CTF (most weight) , Assault (second most), then a mixture of weightings of Oddball (hopefully the Drop Shield removal is soon...), KotH, Headhunter, Territories and Stockpile.

Either way, quitting because you didn't get your game is childish.
I think the weightings are less it, than the mix. You get three choices, and then if you veto those, three different choices. SWAT is one of seven game types in the Slayer playlist, so 6/7 times, people will get the chance to vote for it. Which is why I like Net_Wrecker's suggestion for playlists. A lot.

Cronox

Banned
I don't know what this "DMR bullshit" is that you guys are talking about. To me, I was getting the old Halo CE feel playing big team battles earlier today. The DMR is the closest to the old CE pistol. I really like the rate of fire of most weapons in the game. It feels like the emphasis on accuracy (and thus, skill) has been brought back, after starting each round with Halo 2 and 3's stupid SMG spray'n'pray guns for years.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
I think the weightings are less it, than the mix. You get three choices, and then if you veto those, three different choices. SWAT is one of seven game types in the Slayer playlist, so 6/7 times, people will get the chance to vote for it. Which is why I like Net_Wrecker's suggestion for playlists. A lot.
For Slayer, fine, do it. There's no sense in splitting up BTB and Objective. Those lists population does not exceed Slayer, so it wouldn't be affected. Make Slayer in BTB gametypes like SWAT and Snipers appear much less; in my hope, it becomes extremely rare. Snipers, and especially SWAT, don't belong in BTB. It just screams "social" to me. I would love more opportunities for One Flag, One Bomb, etc. They do need Drop Shield removed entirely from Objective variants, because it really deflates the gameplay to me.

Striker said:
For Slayer, fine, do it. There's no sense in splitting up BTB and Objective. Those lists population does not exceed Slayer, so it wouldn't be affected. Make Slayer gametypes like SWAT and Snipers appear much less; in my hope, it becomes extremely rare. Snipers, and especially SWAT, don't belong in BTB. It just screams "social" to me. I would love more opportunities for One Flag, One Bomb, etc. They do need Drop Shield removed entirely from Objective variants, because it really deflates the gameplay to me.

OK, I could live with not having BTB, and Big Team Objective split, but Snipers, SWAT, Slayer Pro, and all the other "Team Slayer Remix" gametypes are proving right now to have a LOT of fans. Let them have their own list with those gametypes, and let people like me that just want to play vanilla Reach, and to actually use a variety of Armor Abilities do so. And yeah, BTB versions of SWAT/Snipers or w/e just aren't right. Get them out of there.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
JPBrowncoat said:
Well I had it a few days early and I've been on vacation.

Also, it's a fucking incredible game. :lol

Another also, hello boosting Ghost meet my armor lock.

Ah ok yea. I can see how that would get you there already. I figure it will take me a bit but I see no problem getting there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom