• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think this is spoilerish, since it's an easter egg(?) of sorts, a little side thing.

Did anyone else find the Data Pad on the last level? Gives a little back story to the Spartan 2 program.

315nybc.jpg

14y5qbq.jpg

Cronox said:
I don't know what this "DMR bullshit" is that you guys are talking about. To me, I was getting the old Halo CE feel playing big team battles earlier today. The DMR is the closest to the old CE pistol. I really like the rate of fire of most weapons in the game. It feels like the emphasis on accuracy (and thus, skill) has been brought back, after starting each round with Halo 2 and 3's stupid SMG spray'n'pray guns for years.

I agree. Reach feels like the most "solid" Halo game since the original to me.

Also, I saw someone hating on the cage. I actually really like that map!

Cronox said:
I don't know what this "DMR bullshit" is that you guys are talking about. To me, I was getting the old Halo CE feel playing big team battles earlier today. The DMR is the closest to the old CE pistol. I really like the rate of fire of most weapons in the game. It feels like the emphasis on accuracy (and thus, skill) has been brought back, after starting each round with Halo 2 and 3's stupid SMG spray'n'pray guns for years.

Its when I put 8 bullets into an unshielded opponent with the DMR, and said opponent lives to kill me with 5 shots.

Perfect example happened just now. Jumping into Arena, went positive 8 with a group. No problems with the DMR. Four body shots, breathe, headshot, kill. GREAT.

Next match, by the half-way point, everybody on my team was saying the same thing. That the guys on the other team 'just wont die'. It wasnt a matter of being gunned down by more skilled players, because the guys on the other team weren't five-shotting or sticking together to team up on targets. They were shooting and missing half the time. The simple fact was we were all pumping upwards of 8 shots into guys and they werent dying.

So we all dropped out of the match in disgust, and robbed the other team of about 300 or 400 points worth of inevitable kills.

rObit

Banned
Hasn't the whole mid-game quitting thing been beaten to death already? It works for Call of Duty because people can hop into a game after it's already started and just roll right into the next one. That's all well and good for a game that generally features less player interaction. The trade off is how personal you want your mp game to be. In a game like Call of Duty, you may notice that an enemy player has considerable skill, but it doesn't really matter that much when it comes to how you play your game. You're pretty much playing against a bunch of faceless players.

In Reach every team is set in stone before the game starts. It becomes more personal, and you win by learning how to play against your enemies' weaknesses. To me, it's much more personal and intense this way, which is why I generally swear and rage at Halo a lot more than I do at CoD. Since the teams are set in stone, it really hurts when someone quits out, so there needs to be blah blah blah obvious conclusion.

I suppose that a lot of players would quit less if there were a ton of playlists so that the players could know what gametype they are getting into beforehand, but people would still ragequit a lot.

Mooreberg

Just finished second playthrough, solo heroic this time. I am not looking forward to dealing with
all of those zealots near the end of the game
on Legendary solo. :lol Might hold off on that for a while. There seemed be a lot of parts where I was left wanting for a grenade. Gotta try firefight now.

I just played Reach for the first time tonight at a friends.

I like Classic Slayer much better than the power-up style game. Too much bullshit.
But I suppose it's cool for the people to have options and all that.

big ander

So my Elite Armor code from the Limited edition says it's not valid. I remember reading about this being a glitch. What do I do? I don't see anything in the OP.

Mik2121

big ander said:
So my Elite Armor code from the Limited edition says it's not valid. I remember reading about this being a glitch. What do I do? I don't see anything in the OP.
You might want to try this:

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid28611

1. Open the Guide
2. Go to the Settings Tab
3. Go to Account Management
4. Go to Download History
5. Select the Halo: Reach Legendary Edition Bonus Content
6. Select Download Again
7. Once the download is complete restart Halo: Reach

Sibylus

Banned
Man, playing through level 2
(Winter Contingency) a second time really showed me just how open the level is, found more paths and little villas. Using sprint, I found a really tiny path in a mass of cliffs, it was very subtle yet gave a nice advantage against the roaming skirmishers below. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the location of the marine rescue is procedural, I showed up at the villa that featured the rescue in my first run through, and this time the Covenant ambush was there instead. So it seems no matter where you end up going, you won't shortcut the mission and skip some fun encounters. End result being: exploration and improvising a path through the level is encouraged.

Really, really superb touch by Bungie. This is another significant thing Reach has over Halo CE.

And done.

Run up behind a sniper in Pinnacle. Pressed and held the melee button.

Nothing happened.

Not only did I not assassinate him, I didn't even melee him. The game simply did not respond to my button input.

This game is the most inconsistent pile of shit ever made, and I'm done with it.

For tonight.

SpacLock

PsychoRaven said:
Wow has anyone seen this yet? If you haven't completed the game then click at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q98a__oKml0&feature=player_embedded

How people find this stuff and figure it out is beyond me.

Wow. That's awesome.

There's another video of theirs (check related videos) that's even more amazing.
Master Chief is seen in the game.
I'm sure it's probably been mentioned in this thread already, but whatever.

I have had a crazy week at work so I'm still working my way through the campaign. As someone who really wasn't invested in the whole Halo lore and who really was never much of a fan, I must say I've been really, really impressed with the latter half of the campaign. After the first few missions I thought I got suckered into buying another Halo game where I was destined to spend another 8 hours with emotionless, underdeveloped space marines with the only driving narrative being (in caveman voice) "Marines good, covenant bad".

Once I hit about mission five, though, things got really cool and, gasp, I started actually caring about Noble team and Reach's plight. The whole trying to defend the planet even though defeat is inevitable is so much more compelling than invincible Master Chief is going to save the universe single handedly plot of the main Halo games.

unomas

Banned
cuevas said:
The last mission (solo legendary) makes the rest of the game look like a cakewalk. It was rough bet very doable.

You can't just run into a skilled player shooting your AR at them and expect to get the kill. You just have to learn what weapons are best for each situation (and don't throw grenades when you are in the middle of a fight, that makes you a free kill for the other guy)

Damn, and here I was thinking these early levels were pretty damn hard on solo Legendary! I finished the 4th level and am now on the 5th, I'll probably just try to finish it off over the next couple of days, but if the last one is as hard as it sounds....might be a little longer.

Magni

^^^ The last level was by far the one where I raged the most, died the most (close to 40% of my deaths), and spent a good portion of it not having fun. I'll replay it later on Heroic and see what I think then, but on Legendary.. you have been warned :p Also took me 2.5h compared to ~1h for the other levels.

Botolf said:
(Winter Contingency) a second time really showed me just how open the level is, found more paths and little villas. Using sprint, I found a really tiny path in a mass of cliffs, it was very subtle yet gave a nice advantage against the roaming skirmishers below. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the location of the marine rescue is procedural, I showed up at the villa that featured the rescue in my first run through, and this time the Covenant ambush was there instead. So it seems no matter where you end up going, you won't shortcut the mission and skip some fun encounters. End result being: exploration and improvising a path through the level is encouraged.

Really, really superb touch by Bungie. This is another significant thing Reach has over Halo CE.

Yeah, I replayed it last night for the two mission-specific achievements, and I enjoyed it, my only main gripe was the number of invisible walls I ran into =/ Make 'em visible Bungie! That's be much less annoying..

Botolf said:

Yeah. This game really feels like a true evolution from Halo 1. This is the game that Halo 2 should have been.

big ander

Mik2121 said:
You might want to try this:

http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid28611

1. Open the Guide
2. Go to the Settings Tab
3. Go to Account Management
4. Go to Download History
5. Select the Halo: Reach Legendary Edition Bonus Content
6. Select Download Again
7. Once the download is complete restart Halo: Reach
Exactly what I was looking for, should've been able to find that myself but thanks for putting up with me Mik! :lol

Niblet

3/4 days in at this thread is at 12k+ the Halo juggernaut is strong. I'm on mission 9 of my solo legendary run. So far it has been downright infuriating at times. One particular instance really angered me because it totally broke any sense of immersion by highlighting the illusion of AI.

What had happened each time (I ran this section many times due to death) was:
During mission 7 you have to turn on the power for the AA guns or something like that. There are 2 stations in close proximity and between them a wraith. I manage to activate the stations and kill wraith. Then you have to launch missiles to destroy a corvette. That area is guarded by a bunch of brutes including one with a gravity hammer. Now I snuck up on the brutes from the rear and I had cloak ability. I'd cloak up and crouch sneak. I was able to assassinate a brute maybe 2/10 attempts. Usually they would turn around before I was close enough and start reacting as if I was there and plenty of times they would shoot. This mildly stirs BS radar, but maybe they have keen senses. But here is the real bullshit. When I vas able to get the marines to follow me, the brutes did not react to the marine presence at all and vice versa. I had the surreal experience of watching the hammer brute standing feet away from a marine, both in line of sight and no reactions. The brutes only reacted to me. They would not shoot at the marines in touching distance, but they would shoot me while cloaked and with reasonable distance between us. Shit I even took high ground while cloaking during one attempt and a brute ran into the area and immediately zoned in on me and shot, nevermind the fact that 4 marines were closer in range to him than I.
The AI's omnipotence was so blatant in that situation that my rage turned into morbid humor. Any immersion I've felt tonight in Reach is completely overshadowed by this. Thankfully I got past that part eventually.

W1SSY

Really enjoying the game so far. My roommate who basically bashes anything but CoD has been playing online with me a lot. Only thing I dislike is playing snipers and SWAT because for some reason everybody can pull of headshots in mere milliseconds. Also playing infection I have had numerous times when I melee the guy multiple times with my sword and nothing happens. I know it isn't him using the melee back because I see his shield flicker.

Sibylus

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
Yeah, I replayed it last night for the two mission-specific achievements, and I enjoyed it, my only main gripe was the number of invisible walls I ran into =/ Make 'em visible Bungie! That's be much less annoying..
I think I hit one invisible wall, it was in a really obscure spot (behind a shack and you had to intently go "off trail" to find the spot) so it was forgivable.

Yeah. This game really feels like a true evolution from Halo 1. This is the game that Halo 2 should have been.
I get that feeling the more of Reach I play. I get the impression Bungie thought long and hard about what CE did well, and extended that excellence with natural augmentations and improvements. And there's all the lessons of 2, 3, and ODST as well. Quite the excellent marriage.

unomas

Banned
MagniHarvald said:
^^^ The last level was by far the one where I raged the most, died the most (close to 40% of my deaths), and spent a good portion of it not having fun. I'll replay it later on Heroic and see what I think then, but on Legendary.. you have been warned :p Also took me 2.5h compared to ~1h for the other levels.

Shit, the game feels harder to me than any of the COD games on vet 4-6 at least, and my average level completion time is probably closer to 2 hours per level at this point, so it sounds like I may toss a controller through my tv when I finally start the last level. Props to all you guys who've done it, sounds beyond beastly. I'm in the beginning stages of level 5 right now working my way through, I'm hoping to finish 5 and 6 tomorrow and maybe 7 and 8 on Saturday depending on how I do.

fernoca

Nice.
Maybe I missed news about it, but on Waypoint I just went up to Rank 32 and unlocked the 'Reach Beta Tester Hoodie /Avatar Ward'.

I wasn't part of the beta and I wanted that hoodie, so unlocking it was really cool and unexpected.

derFeef

I am on Mission 8 and I already died 150 times (heroic) Oh jesus... :(
Will finish this weekend as I get my new Reach 360s. This is going to be an epic weekend!

Is the EuroHaloGAF GT still active?

Jex

Net_Wrecker said:
Seriously. My #1 problem with Halo 3 was the Matchmaking lists which pretty much drove me to play CoD4 as my primary shooter for the first year or so after release. Unfortunately it hasn't gotten any better in 3 years.

The standard choices should've been:

-Rumble Pit

-Team Slayer (AND ONLY STANDARD TEAM SLAYER using Armor Abilities)
-Team Slayer Mix (SWAT, Snipers, Slayer Pro, etc.)

-Capture The Flag (One flag, Two flag, Stockpile, etc.)
-Team Objective Mix (Oddball, Territories, King of The Hill, etc. etc)

-Big Team Slayer
-Big Team Capture The Flag (One flag, Two flag, Stockpile, etc.)
-Big Team Objective (everything else)

-Invasion

Let the deathmatch, and flag game variants have some space to breathe. From there they could create more lists, and change the daily challenges depending on what was getting popular/neglected.
This makes too much sense.

Smokey

GhaleonEB said:
Edit: resubscribed to Bungie Pro, which had lapsed.

I did two games of Score Attack, both on Beachhead. Great map.

First game, scored 19,976, and never died. Achievement unlocked. :D

Best moment rendered here: nearly getting toasted by Skirmishers and then going on a headshot spree. Note the one that blazes past me so fast my old man reaction time was delayed a full second.

I took too long on the Jackal Wave and so the Elites didn't get dropped off in time to kill any of them.

On the second game, I was quicker and got to the Elite wave to take out a few. Score, 22,832. Deaths: zero.

Score Attack is awesome, awesome is Score Attack. (And thanks for the Nerfle tip, Lars. Works like a charm. :D)

Agree. Score Attack was a nice surprise to me.

Got a question about Firefight scoring. How is it calculated? In your video's you were getting in the hundreds with your headshots..and earlier when i was playing I wasn't getting nearly as high of scores on mine. Reach is the first time I've really messed with Firefight...so I am curious on what impacts your score.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Score Attack is awesome, awesome is Score Attack. (And thanks for the Nerfle tip, Lars. Works like a charm. :D)

what is this nerfle tip?!

I finished all daily challenges yesterday, take that 100 grunts. Liking firefight a lot. Also like competitive, but firefight is a GREAT mode for men with jobs who hate getting repeatedly slaughtered by 14 year old kids.

Got a question about Firefight scoring. How is it calculated? In your video's you were getting in the hundreds with your headshots..and earlier when i was playing I wasn't getting nearly as high of scores on mine. Reach is the first time I've really messed with Firefight...so I am curious on what impacts your score.

Depends on enemy type I think. head shot an elite to death and lots of money.

Also sniper rifles MURDER vehicles in firefight. Found it's totally worth it to shoot the phantom front gun with 2 shots of the sniper as well. Avoids cheap shitty deaths and allows more headshot chances as they are leaping out/landing.

Victrix

*beard*
I do not understand Bungie's reasoning behind the way they do playlists.

I realize that Reach has 32984209348243 game modes, making individual gamemode playlists somewhat problematic, but there's no reason they can't bundle off certain similar game modes into one playlist (SWAT, Pro, Snipers), and put silly fun stuff in another (Infection, Rocket Race), while still leaving some core 'big' playlists (Team Slayer, CTF, Territories, Invasion, etc)

Voting doesn't really help, if the majority of the playerbase enjoys a mode you don't, you're fucked son (bring a big party, or have fun in SWAT!)

But having these 'grab bag' playlists with a mishmash of modes is just irritating, and when they punish you harshly for quitting (and betrayals!), it's a pretty hostile playground for relaxing with what you want to play, when you have the time to play it.

I lost a lot of friends in Halo 3 to Shotgun/Snipers et al, they simply went and played CoD4 (or now MW2->BO), where they can pick exactly the mode they want to play.

I'm actually avoiding pushing the MP too hard right now to my friends who are lukewarm about Halo in general, since I'm expecting that the more egregious issues will be sorted out (betrayal booting, SWAT/etc in team slayer).

Out of all MP fps games with matchmaking, Halo is the one game with a large enough fanbase that they can _afford_ the discrete segregation of their playerbase into a variety of distinct playlists, but instead they use mixup hoppers and voting. Baffling.

Sibylus

Banned
Random thought (huge spoilers):
I think I would have reversed the places of Emile and Jorge. Jorge was my favourite NPC in the game, and he was probably the most developed and "human" member of Noble Team. Abrupt death aboard a Covenant Carrier seems, I don't know... fitting for someone as aggressive and vicious as Emile, yet a little out of place for a weathered and experienced warrior like Jorge. I can't be alone in thinking that it would have been fitting to see Jorge fight until the very end and help the Autumn escape.

Jex

Victrix said:
Voting doesn't really help, if the majority of the playerbase enjoys a mode you don't, you're fucked son (bring a big party, or have fun in SWAT!)
Voting has just made it more obvious that I don't want to play the same kind of stuff that lot's of Halo players like :lol

It's a difficult balance. Have too many playlists and the population is too split, meaning it's much harder to get balanced games.
I'm personally "mostly" happy with it now, but I say that as a person who loves Snipers & SWAT. For those looking to spawn with an AR I can see your frustration. I do think the voting makes anything but DMRs kind of unlikey, which has annoyed me once or twice (would like the variety).

Botolf said:
Random thought (huge spoilers):
I think I would have reversed the places of Emile and Jorge. Jorge was my favourite NPC in the game, and he was probably the most developed and "human" member of Noble Team. Abrupt death aboard a Covenant Carrier seems, I don't know... fitting for someone as aggressive and vicious as Emile, yet a little out of place for a weathered and experienced warrior like Jorge. I can't be alone in thinking that it would have been fitting to see Jorge fight until the very end and help the Autumn escape.
Agreed, but it ended up endearing Emile alot to me, when I would have just snorted at the character otherwise, which I do for neither Jorge nor Emile now. I do snort at Jorge's death.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just finished the SP campaign, my favourite Halo after Halo CE but dam this game has some serious frame-rate issues.

Sibylus

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Agreed, but it ended up endearing Emile alot to me, when I would have just snorted at the character otherwise, which I do for neither Jorge nor Emile now. I do snort at Jorge's death.
True, his perseverance and the way he went out did a lot to redeem him in my eyes. I just wish Jorge had gotten a bit more coverage in the story. He was the character I found the most interesting, largely due to his diplomatic relationship with the civilians of Reach and his "familial" link to Doctor Halsey. Would have loved to see his development continue.

In the end, it was to be expected that there wouldn't be a wealth of character development, one would essentially need a much longer game to fully flesh out five major NPCs.

lowrider007 said:
Just finished the SP campaign, my favourite Halo after Halo CE but dam this game has some serious frame-rate issues.

I wouldn't say they are serious, but there are moments when it drops significantly. Halo Reach looks absolutely beautiful though, so I don't mind.

Jexhius said:
Voting has just made it more obvious that I don't want to play the same kind of stuff that lot's of Halo players like :lol

Same here. It blows my mind when I'm the only one out of 8 picking regular Slayer while everyone else is split between Slayer Pro, and Snipers/SWAT, which when combined with the Forge World maps makes for a non-stop shooting gallery.

Zeouterlimits said:
It's a difficult balance. Have too many playlists and the population is too split, meaning it's much harder to get balanced games.
I'm personally "mostly" happy with it now, but I say that as a person who loves Snipers & SWAT. For those looking to spawn with an AR I can see your frustration. I do think the voting makes anything but DMRs kind of unlikey, which has annoyed me once or twice (would like the variety).

It's not a difficult balance though. The CORE modes like Slayer, and the flag matches should have their own lists. From there it's easy enough to organize everything else into "grab bag" style lists that make sense. Having Snipers, and SWAT which play completely differently from a "normal" Team Slayer match means that it doesn't make much sense to have them mixed in that list. The community is more than big enough to have a large number of playlists. Of course not EVERYTHING needs it's own listing, but spread it out a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom