• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Oozer3993

Shake Appeal said:
150 gamerpoints is a small number, isn't it? Am I remembering wrong, or haven't map packs traditionally had 250 points associated with them? Is there a significance we can read into this? Making headroom for more map packs than Halo 3 had?

I noticed the same thing. Halo 3 had achievements added to it at three different times (Heroic release, Legendary release, Mythic I release IIRC). Each time it they were for a total of 250 Gamerscore. This will leave Bungie with 350 Gamerscore left until the limit of 1750. It'll be interesting to see how they use that.

Oozer3993 said:
I noticed the same thing. Halo 3 had achievements added to it at three different times (Heroic release, Legendary release, Mythic I release IIRC). Each time it they were for a total of 250 Gamerscore. This will leave Bungie with 350 Gamerscore left until the limit of 1750. It'll be interesting to see how they use that.
Otherwise Dawn Of War 2 has 2000GS. Maybe Halo Reach will get a special treatment.

Oozer3993

Hypertrooper said:
Otherwise Dawn Of War 2 has 2000GS. Maybe Halo Reach will get a special treatment.

That's only because the achievements for the expansion Chaos Rising count towards its total. And Chaos Rising is essentially an entire additional game.

Oozer3993 said:
That's only because the achievements for the expansion Chaos Rising count towards its total. And Chaos Rising is essentially an entire additional game.
CliffyB complained already that cap for GS/achievement should be lift off. I don't know. maybe the developer're starting a revolution?

Doubles Attack is Live
Grab your best mate and jump into some Firefight Doubles Attack. It's live just in time for Valentine's Day. You bring the chocolates and we'll supply the endless shenanigans. You complete us.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=30648

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shake Appeal said:
They helped port it to 360. They didn't do any level design on it.
...thanks for ruining my hype!

Still, Valve being the quality centric company they are, don't shop around without standards, if that is any indication.

lucius

So my Live Gold ran out and with Silver is the most I can earn in Firefight or other modes a game is 50 points?

Hypertrooper said:
CliffyB complained already that cap for GS/achievement should be lift off. I don't know. maybe the developer're starting a revolution?
Well, Defiant will take Reach to 1,400 GS. Obviously four more map packs at 150 GS each will take us to a round 2,000.

In this thread: four more Halo Reach map packs confirmed.

You read it here first.

bobs99 ... said:
So what? Its not like the Covenant is going to complain and refuse to buy the next Halo game. :p

Sometimes its fun just going on a rampage, using a Banshee or a Falcon in Firefight would be fun. Anyone who wants a pure experiance can just ignore them.

Oh I agree, I would love to try out a falcon against covies but I just don't see them putting that in. Would really staple a new map if it featured one.

So, they came out with a FF mode for two people finally? That's awesome :) That was my complaint early on as I have a friend I'd like to play with regularly when going for challenges and we don't care for matching up with randoms to do them so we've been pining for this mode. Always was lame to have to seperate to do our respective score attacks real quick for a challenge before joining back up. It's probably just for the week though, eh? If it's for the long term, then hoorah!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Shake Appeal said:
Well, Defiant will take Reach to 1,400 GS. Obviously four more map packs at 150 GS each will take us to a round 2,000.

You read it here first.
New news, new threads :p

I feel so out of touch with Reach besides MLG. :/

Shake Appeal said:

You read it here first.

If only to senselessly stoke this unfounded rumor I will say this:

I never understood during Halo 3 why it took them so long to release map packs and then, why they only released those few.

As much as the Complainatron 9000 that generates all the "DLC is too expensive posts" may hate to read this: I would pay 10 bucks for 3 new maps every damn month. That assumes that the maps are more along the lines of Tempest and less along the lines of... well let's not deal with the unpleasantness of saying its name.

Dax said:
Something something release schedule something something coeds all over the place something something

I hear you, but wasn't that mega delay a function of the ODST marketing screw up by MS?

MrBig

Condemned_Action%26%2345.jpg

Condemned_Action%26%23452.jpg

That helmet...

WOW. Bungie said no to DLC armory pieces. 343i said: Who gives a fu**? (Or maybe it is a developer exclusive armory piece like the blue flames.)

MrBig said:
http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/gaf/halogaf/Condemned_Action%26%2345.jpg
[IMG]http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/gaf/halogaf/Condemned_Action%26%23452.jpg

That helmet...[/QUOTE]

Are these pics from the new map pack? If so does that mean new armour dlc? I havent seen that helmet before, unless it was cut.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
I sort of understand why custom game browsers dont exist. It could potentially kill off the matchmaking population... while only providing games which quite frankly only the host would enjoy lol. I do wish more variants of the current maps existed though. a Hemmorage variant with Banshees on it for example.
Custom game browsers wouldn't have split the population any worse than already having 19-20 playlists.

As for the Banshee on Hemorrhage, I would wait for the Classic playlist - it's a wait and see on that, though. The map is a Coagulation version.

-

The trailer looked great. Highlands is one map that looks like it belonged immediately.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
Are these pics from the new map pack? If so does that mean new armour dlc? I havent seen that helmet before, unless it was cut.
Yes its from the trailer today. The chest is new as well.
From what I understand of the old blam! engine (this should also apply to reach) they have to update all the maps. That means everyone has to download a patch. They must have found a way to do it with only a ppf style patch instead of forcing everyone to download ~9 gb of maps again. There's no other way they could do it. The armor is contained within the maps, not in a shared directory. All the armor has already been extracted, it's not already hidden somewhere. It would also mean there would be a title update since that's not the kind of thing Bungie can just implement with their background systems.

e: this could of course just been someone at 343 fooling around since everything is local and they're probably running off of shared builds like Bungie did in the process of the games development.

MrBig said:
Yes its from the trailer today. The chest is new as well.
From what I understand of the old blam! engine (this should also apply to reach) they have to update all the maps. That means everyone has to download a patch. They must have found a way to do it with only a ppf style patch instead of forcing everyone to download ~9 gb of maps again. There's no other way they could do it. The armor is contained within the maps, not in a shared directory. All the armor has already been extracted, it's not already hidden somewhere. It would also mean there would be a title update since that's not the kind of thing Bungie can just implement with their background systems.
Doesn't they just have to update the campaign mission?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I was going through my old youtube videos and there were so many good games of MLG on Midship, Narrows and the Pit. I miss those maps :(

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this
He's asking if, similar to how the object palette was baked into MP maps in Halo 3, if there was the same issue for campaign: introducing new objects to the 'map'.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
He's asking if, similar to how the object palette was baked into MP maps in Halo 3, if there was the same issue for campaign: introducing new objects to the 'map'.
Yes. All of the models are in the specific .map file. Each map has a list of assets that it can use, but it can only use them if they are actually loaded into the map file, just like how there are only certain forge objects for certain maps. Campaign maps aren't treated any differently in that regard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
I'll love them even more if they balance the AAs to where they belong, and remove black screen.
Within 3 posts, 2 of which are yours, you bashed armor lock twice.

Now, bashing armor lock is fun and all, but we'd still be in OT1 if no one repeated armor lock bashing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
Gotta be honest with you, bro. Getting kinda old.

I don't care if it's getting old or not. Shit needs to get fixed.

enzo_gt said:
Within 3 posts, 2 of which are yours, you bashed armor lock twice.

Now, bashing armor lock is fun and all, but we'd still be in OT1 if no one repeated armor lock bashing.

Gotta make sure it's a known issue!

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
I don't care if it's getting old or not. Shit needs to get fixed.

Gotta make sure it's a known issue!

You think repeating "jokes" about AL sucking will make them fix it?

I've also complained about AL in the beginning, when everyone else was. Hoping Bungie would realize there's something wrong after seeing whole communities complain about it, but it's obvious by now that won't happen.

Being annoying about it won't help =\

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:

I've also complained about AL in the beginning, when everyone else was. Hoping Bungie would realize there's something wrong after seeing whole communities complain about it, but it's obvious by now that won't happen.

Exactly. All it does at this point is drive people to stop reading your posts man. You have some good posts and are a good guy but it gets old when several times a day we see AL sucks. At this point it isn't adding anything constructive to the conversation because everyone else has for the most part moved on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:

Maybe it will, they just haven't announced it yet, or maybe 343 will change it!

I'd like to try and balance things out by saying I love Armour Lock. I think it brings an awesome balance to encounters that in previous Halo games would be immensely one-sided. An example being if someone has a rocket launcher and the guy they're gunning for just has an AR/Pistol that would be fairly clear cut before. Now it makes that fight much harder to call, the guy with the rocket launcher still has the upper hand but the dude with AL has a chance to turn it around.

I can sort of understand why some of you guys don't like it but I personally think it's one of the best new features introduced in Reach.

Blueblur1 said:
Cold Storage was awesome and Armor Lock isn't that bad. Get over it, fellas!

You are crazy. :p

To be fair im with Alien Shogun on this one, as much as its pretty spammy and annoying... if we dont reiterate the fact armour lock sucks Bungie might just think we have gotten used to it.

So yeah while I don't bitch as much anymore... Reach is far from perfect, and actually still has some pretty downright game ruining things. So pleaaaaaaaase 343 dont use it as the basepoint for Halo 4.

Just saying. :)

randomlyrossy said:
I'd like to try and balance things out by saying I love Armour Lock. I think it brings an awesome balance to encounters that in previous Halo games would be immensely one-sided. An example being if someone has a rocket launcher and the guy they're gunning for just has an AR/Pistol that would be fairly clear cut before. Now it makes that fight much harder to call, the guy with the rocket launcher still has the upper hand but the dude with AL has a chance to turn it around.

I can sort of understand why some of you guys don't like it but I personally think it's one of the best new features introduced in Reach.

It wasnt clear cut in older Halo at all. If the guy with the Pistol/ BR had good aim and was smart with his movement he could easily beat out the Rocket guy. Thats why I like Halo 1-3 so much more than Reach, which feels fairly rock paper scissors to me. The whole 5 shot kill, and bloom thing as well as buffed power weapons basically means the guy with rockets is always going to win. Unless someone presses 1 button to negate that lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
randomlyrossy said:

That makes a starting ability neuter the whole purpose of securing a power weapon. That isn't balance.

Balance is making sure everyone starts off on equal footing.

Armor lock is the "I just got my ass kicked and need to sit here invulnerable while my team comes to help," or "I'm now in CQC and I know I can spam this at least twice to get two melee kills in."
Gui_PT said:
Son, I can guarantee that if they change anything about AL, it won't have anything to do with you

Not me individually, no, but it will probably have a bit to do with public outcry.

P.S "Son?" I'm pretty sure I'm older than you!

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
Maybe it will, they just haven't announced it yet, or maybe 343 will change it!

Son, I can guarantee that if they change anything about AL, it won't have anything to do with you

Gui_PT said:

While I agree his posts are a little spammy, and that they wont change anything about armour lock. Im still glad there are people out there fighting the good fight. He might not single handedly make a difference, but as long as people out there are still bitching about it. Maybe... just maybe 343 or Bungie will take note and armour lock will be changed, or at least totally excluded from any future Halo games.

I just hate the idea that they will think Reach is fine and dandy because most people have given up on complaining. That seems to have been theyre approach with the beta, and it was a pretty bad approach lol.

Alienshogun said:
That makes a starting ability neuter the whole purpose of securing a power weapon. That isn't balance.

Balance is making sure everyone starts off on equal footing.

Armor lock is the "I just got my ass kicked and need to sit here invulnerable while my team comes to help," or "I'm now in CQC and I know I can spam this at least twice to get two melee kills in."

I'd tend to disagree, like I said the guy with the power weapon still has the advantage. He just has to choose what he does next wisely, he can wait for the AL to run out and kill the dude or move on and take out someone else. I'm simplying obviously as the choice is often more complicated than that but I don't think it's game breaking. For one thing not everyone uses armour lock and with the exception of maybe the drop shield it's the only one that really (temporarily) nullifies power weapons.

Top Bottom