• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Crucio

GhaleonEB said:
Question: is there a way to make a Race variant that does not spawn vehicles in? My daughter made a jetpack race map but she doesn't want players spawning with a Mongoose, etc.

You probably have to use another game type like an objective game type(e.g. have a bomb at the end). I'm not sure how far you can edit the Race gametype, so look into those options.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:
Which is why I'm not going to make a discussion about it. :p I'm under the impression most of HaloGAF is strictly multiplayer. The players who actually care about the storyline seem to be in the minority.
You shouldn't feel such discussions are hindered on here just because some don't care. There are folks that don't care about MLG or Firefight but that doesn't stop those areas of discussion. =)

Dani said:
You shouldn't feel such discussions are hindered on here just because some don't care. There are folks that don't care about MLG or Firefight but that doesn't stop those areas of discussion. =)
Aye, this is true. There have been some good discussions here, too. I'm just a bit tired to start discussing the specifics of human development of energy shielding. :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:
Which is why I'm not going to make a discussion about it. :p I'm under the impression most of HaloGAF is strictly multiplayer. The players who actually care about the storyline seem to be in the minority.

Eh, I'm HARDLY indicative of all of HaloGAF's opinions, many of them eat that shit up.

That said, I'm big into the story line, just not uber geek into the storyline.

The only thing I'm DEEP into storywise are the Forgotten Realms books by RA Salvatore, and the Alien universe.

In one of the pictures Devin posted, you can see five Spartans. I was going to say anything, but one of them could've been an Elite, so I didn't. Nice to get confirmation.

wwm0nkey

There are some shenanigans going down here. If they are really adding all of this stuff I am shocked. I just want them to say "Hey we got around the .map crap and can now add anything we want!"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blue Ninja said:
These big HaloGAF threads are for all things Halo. I haaaaate multiple large Halo threads.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
These big HaloGAF threads are for all things Halo. I haaaaate multiple large Halo threads.

You seemed shell shocked during the great "3 to Reach" HaloGAF migration when we all moved from thread to thread, week to week. =P

GhaleonEB said:
It's like cooties. (Do they have cooties in the UK?)

It's an American import over here. We treat all of our children with the Spongebob vaccine just to be sure.

Blue Ninja said:
Hi, I'm Dax, and I'm a Haloholic.
My response:
1) It's a game.
2) Just as important as point one: I consider MP maps to be secondary material story wise. If the map doesn't contradict or break known canon, assume it exists. If it does, assume that particular place doesn't exist. It's just MP after all.

By the way, guys, I forgot to mention I made some purdy panorama's in "The Package" during my attempts to break into the level's final cutscene.

Sadly, I haven't succeeded yet, but some day I will. :mad:

Dax01 said:
2) Just as important as point one: I consider MP maps to be secondary material story wise. If the map doesn't contradict or break known canon, assume it exists. If it does, assume that particular place doesn't exist. It's just MP after all.
"And I can definitely get over Anchor 9 having Shield Doors for fun. It's multiplayer, after all. :p"

So I agree with you, at least on point number 2. Story consistency is something completely different, though. :p

Dax01 said:
So is the five person player count not confirmed? Because it does look like there are five Spartans in this picture.
As Zayne said, could be they just layered five pictures over eachother for all we know. The Spartans all seem to have the same armor configuration.

Blue Ninja said:
As Zayne said, could be they just layered five pictures over eachother for all we know. The Spartans all seem to have the same armor configuration.
I didn't even click on the Bnet. I just saw some quotes about it here so I assumed it was confirmed. lol.

Dax01 said:
I didn't even click on the Bnet. I just saw some quotes about it here so I assumed it was confirmed. lol.
It could be neat, but I have no idea how they'd pull that off.

Then again, I have no idea how they'll implement new armor, either.

zumphry

Banned
Blue Ninja said:

wat?

(MrBig said that, don't get your friendly neighborhood Spiderman confused with me, the asshole version of Spider-Man)

ZayneH said:
wat?

(MrBig said that, don't get your friendly neighborhood Spiderman confused with me, the asshole version of Spider-Man)
You'll always be the true Spider-Man, Zayne. If MrBig has a Spider-Man avatar, he's you. :p

Kuroyume said:
So the only things released today were new pics and names of the maps?
We already knew the names. We learned a release date, we learned there'll be new armor, and we saw some new pictures and video. Nothing big, like some had expected.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:
It could be neat, but I have no idea how they'd pull that off.

Then again, I have no idea how they'll implement new armor, either.

They won't. There isn't any new Armour, no new Armour Abilities, no Rainbow effects, no new Visor colours, no Covie or Flood themed map, no Reach Mythic Map Pack, no five player Firefight.

These are stupid rumours fuelled by stupidity. Why do folks continue to spread so much bullshit without doing some source checking and fact finding.

New Armour is impossible. This has been confirmed by the engine developers at Bungie. This has been independently confirmed by players looking at the game's source code and internal files and how they operate. We know there's an engine level restriction in place and it cannot be overcome without significant changes - its not feasible for a retail game already released.

So Armour, helmets, visor colours, effects will not be happening.

Any significant update to the Reach's engine would require a title update. Not just a small update either, but one hell of an update, probably the same size as the game itself. Additionally, all user created content wouldn't work with this new modified and updated engine. However this is not happening. There is not going to be a title update.

Bungie have confirmed that Reach's future will be decided by playlist updates and other backend support. They are not working on any title update. 343i don't appear to be working on anything Reach related either. The Defiant map pack was made with Certain Affinity, not 343i alone and any significant title update would require much knowledge about the engine and how to update it, something 343i has shown no interest in whatsoever.

The whole Armour bullshit started on a hacking forum (source of stolen Defiant Map packs!). This guy offered no evidence or source. So why would anyone believe him? Why? He claimed that there would be this and that, he claimed there was a 3rd map pack called "Mythic" (haha!) and there would be a title update. Come on. Total bullshit.

So come on. There are no more new maps hidden away. No Covie theme Forgeworld. That particular rumour was started by a single commenter on Youtube. The dude couldn't even speak English properly but many hundreds of silly folks believed him? With no evidence? Here I might have some magic beans to sell you!

One of the new images appears to "confirm" one of the things claimed. Since you should know by now that all the claims are bullshit, then realise that the picture confirms nothing. It can't be a new Armour included in the map pack because it's impossible (well its possible to have new content on the new maps but the same Armour pieces wouldn't work on older maps so it would be pretty pointless).

Dani said:
One of the new images appears to "confirm" one of the things claimed. Since you should know by now that all the claims are bullshit, then realise that the picture confirms nothing. It can't be a new Armour included in the map pack because it's impossible (well its possible to have new content on the new maps but the same Armour pieces wouldn't work on older maps so it would be pretty pointless).
If one of the official screenshots has new armor, it seems like a no-brainer to say "Hey guys, there's new armor." Whether or not it's usable on older maps is another question, pointless or no. Fact is, it exists.

Covenant Forge World, Rainbow Attack, that's bullshit, I agree. But, we've seen the new helmet. It exists. We just don't know in what capacity it's usable, if at all.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dani said:
They won't. There isn't any new Armour, no new Armour Abilities, no Rainbow effects, no new Visor colours, no Covie or Flood themed map, no Reach Mythic Map Pack, no five player Firefight.

These are stupid rumours fuelled by stupidity. Why do folks continue to spread so much bullshit without doing some source checking and fact finding.

New Armour is impossible. This has been confirmed by the engine developers at Bungie. This has been independently confirmed by players looking at the game's source code and internal files and how they operate. We know there's an engine level restriction in place and it cannot be overcome without significant changes - its not feasible for a retail game already released.

Any significant update to the Reach's engine would require a title update. Not just a small update either, but one hell of an update, probably the same size as the game itself. Additionally, all user created content wouldn't work with this new modified and updated engine. However this is not happening. There is not going to be a title update.

Bungie have confirmed that Reach's future will be decided by playlist updates and other backend support. They are not working on any title update. 343i don't appear to be working on anything Reach related either. The Defiant map pack was made with Certain Affinity, not 343i alone and any significant title update would require much knowledge about the engine and how to update it, something 343i has shown no interest in whatsoever.

The whole Armour bullshit started on a hacking forum (source of stolen Defiant Map packs!). This guy offered no evidence or source. So why would anyone believe him? Why? He claimed that there would be this and that, he claimed there was a 3rd map pack called "Mythic" (haha!) and there would be a title update. Come on. Total bullshit.

So come on. There are no more new maps hidden away. No Covie theme Forgeworld. That particular rumour was started by a single commenter on Youtube. The dude could even speak English properly but many hundreds of silly folks believed him? With no evidence? Here I might have some magic beans to sell you!

but dani i want a big gay rainbow :(

xxjuicesxx said:
dunno 9-10 to 3-4 est i wanna play..

mono ...tonight + tomorrow night i have 3 nights off.

anyone who wants in send an invite/fr to anarmorlockhero.

Alright, I'll send you a FR, not sure if I'm going to be around, but if I am I'd be down to play.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:
If one of the official screenshots has new armor, it seems like a no-brainer to say "Hey guys, there's new armor." Whether or not it's usable on older maps is another question, pointless or no. Fact is, it exists.

Covenant Forge World, Rainbow Attack, that's bullshit, I agree. But, we've seen the new helmet. It exists. We just don't know in what capacity it's usable, if at all.

Technically I could put anything into the engine if I had the right tools, doesn't mean it will be included in the map pack. The map pack isn't coming with a title update and right now that is needed.

I'll stick with the Bungie guys that made the engine, I'm pretty sure they know their stuff. If they say it's not possible, then it is not possible.

Dax01 said:
Hey, Dani, I saw a comment on facebook that there's going to be Reach SP DLC. There were over 100 likes for the comment.

Contact Kotaku immediately! That's a hot scoop! Copy and paste the details, remove all capital letters and punctuation and post it on Bnet, stat!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
Hey, Dani, I saw a comment on facebook that there's going to be Reach SP DLC. There were over 100 likes for the comment.

2i26ddc.gif

Dani said:
Technically I could put anything into the engine if I had the right tools, doesn't mean it will be included in the map pack. The map pack isn't coming with a title update and right now that is needed.
As you may have noticed, I didn't say it'd be included in the map pack. I'm just saying that it's apparently not bullshit, as we've seen it with our own eyes. The way the game is built, we probably will never get to use it, but 343 apparently can. Doesn't mean it's fake.

EDIT: wait, whoa, Gears 3 has Trashball players now? I really need to catch up on the news for that game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:
As you may have noticed, I didn't say it'd be included in the map pack. I'm just saying that it's apparently not bullshit, as we've seen it with our own eyes. The way the game is built, we probably will never get to use it, but 343 apparently can. Doesn't mean it's fake.

EDIT: wait, whoa, Gears 3 has Trashball players now? I really need to catch up on the news for that game.

Yup.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:

Yeah, might be something like that. Modders make all kinds of things and inject them into the game, not hard to guess that 343 would do the same. Or it could be a horrible photoshop job, like with the five or six Spartans screenshot.

Reminds me of the days where the screenshots on the back of the game box had items or features you couldn't get in the game. Rarely happens these days but it can. It could be a silly mistake, like Capcom using IGN watermarked images for official boxart.

Dani said:

So come on. There are no more new maps hidden away. No Covie theme Forgeworld. That particular rumour was started by a single commenter on Youtube. The dude couldn't even speak English properly but many hundreds of silly folks believed him? With no evidence? Here I might have some magic beans to sell you!

You're pretty confident considering you have no real proof to prove your point... You're making claims as though you personally work for Bungie/343 and have a hand in this DLC.

Is the likelihood of Armour/Abilities/Etc being injected into Reach quite low? Yes, absolutely. However there are a LOT of signs pointing to the possibility that 343i has come up with some clevery trickery to add stuff into a .map file. For you to say "no that will never happen" is honestly stupid.

Say what you will, but right now there are MULTIPLE screen shots supporting the idea that 343 has figured how to do the apparent 'impossible'.

Besides, I can't just completely dismiss the idea of a rainbow armour effect. That shit is to cool to be fake.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devin Olsen said:
You're pretty confident considering you have no real proof to prove your point... You're making claims as though you personally work for Bungie/343 and have a hand in this DLC.

Is the likelihood of Armour/Abilities/Etc being injected into Reach quite low? Yes, absolutely. However there are a LOT of signs pointing to the possibility that 343i has come up with some clevery trickery to add stuff into a .map file. For you to say "no that will never happen" is honestly stupid.

Say what you will, but right now there are MULTIPLE screen shots supporting the idea that 343 has figured how to do the apparent 'impossible'.

Besides, I can't just completely dismiss the idea of a rainbow armour effect. That shit is to cool to be fake.

Don't you be questioning the skipper of FUD!!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:

I'm going by reasonable technical limitations. Shit can't be done without an engine re-write. No updates to the engine are even planned, therefore it has to be something else.

And for the record, look at the new "helmet". Look at the high res picture I posted. There a helmet base covering the top of the head by the visor area is missing and there's a patch over an eye area and an exposed head. However, the "head" is lacking in any textures at all, it's featureless.

You really think there's gonna be a helmet in the new DLC with an untextured or white head?

And bugger to Armour Effects. Can't stand them.

In all honesty, could this be legit new armour? I don't think it is.

What's important is that folks don't go around validating bullshit rumours because of it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sai-kun said:
You were the first person I knew to buy the hearts. Just sayin :lol <3

Yeah because everyone was wearing the stink effect at the time. I'll be buying the sparks one soon too just because I have a ton of cR burning a hole in my pocket. Would still rather not have them in the game.

Crucio

Sai-kun said:
Wow, I need to avoid B.net more often. :lol I had forgotten what an awful place it was.

I stick to the universe forum and the community forums, the rest are full of haters and posting is almost useless, since it gets overtaken in a matter of seconds.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
Yeah because everyone was wearing the stink effect at the time. I'll be buying the sparks one soon too just because I have a ton of cR burning a hole in my pocket. Would still rather not have them in the game.

You had that WAY before the stink effect was even worn. You mean the flaming helmets/grunt birthday?

Top Bottom