• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

header_s.png

|OT1| | |OT2| | |OT3| | ForgeGAF Thread | Today's Challenges (Alt. Link) | Active Playlists

Updates
04/01 | 20k posts means a new |OT|. See you in |OT4|.

04/01 | Bungie snuck out an actual, working iteration of the Chess game type from last year's April 1st joke. Download it here.

03/29 | There's a massive new playlist update live. Click here for the details. Action Sack! Classic! Fixed Firefight Arcade!

03/15 | Bungie has put up a Q&A for those having issues with the Defiant Map Pack.

03/15 | The Defiant maps are out! (At 2:00 am PST). Waypoint has three focused articles on the new maps: Inside Condemned | Inside Unearthed | Inside Highlands

03/08 | Great behind the scenes video on the making of the Defiant Map Pack.

02/24 | Defiant Map Pack hits March 14th!

Halo Reach DLC

Playlist Updates | Click here for the latest; a rolling log is linked at the bottom of the post.

Halo Reach 101
Essential guides to various aspects of Reach.

Halo: Reach Project Page
A hub for all Reach content on Bungie.net. Videos, FAQs, Guides, game details, matchmaking playlists, the works.

Welcome to Reach
A round up of resources on Bungie.net at the launch of Reach.

Halo: Reach Support FAQ
A list of common questions and issues - with answers.

Welcome to Noble Team
All about Credits, the Armory and player customization.

Networking 101
A FAQ to networking issues in Reach.

Welcome to The Arena
A detailed guide to Seasons, Ratings, Divisions, etc.

Player Ranks
Guide to Reach's cR system and the Ranks players can achieve.

Unofficial Reach Resources
HBO's Cutscene Library
A collection of the cinematics from Halo: Reach available for download in various formats and resolutions.

HBO's Bungie Weekly Update Archive
A lighter, standards-compliant version of the weekly Updates, with a robust search feature.​

halo_community.png

For posterity: HaloGAF vs. Bungie Humpday Challenge...did not end well for HaloGAF

Forge & Custom Content
Map Design 101, by Chris Carney

Forging Invasion

Comprehensive guides to objectives and spawns

For a video overview on the new Forge, and Forge World, watch this vidoc.

There is a separate thread for Forge sharing and testing, here.

If you are working on maps or gametypes, tag them with the "HaloGAF" key word. We should be able to search for and find all of our community content this way. Or, post it in the ForgeGAF thread above.​

HaloGAF Customs

GAF regularly gets together every Saturday at about 5:00 PM Pacific time (US) to play Reach for hours on end. To join, add some HaloGAFers to your Friend list and join them for customs. Or, watch the thread for who to hook up with.

Halo Community Sites | The Halo community is vast. Here are a few highlights.

HBO
The oldest and biggest Halo fan site on the web, run by one of the nicest (and oldest) people on the internet. If there's news about Halo, HBO will cover it.

Bungie.net forums
A vast community of upstanding and thoughtful commentators.

Tied The Leader
A community, clan and site dedicated to fair play and thoughtful commentary on Halo.

rampancy.net
Another long time Halo fan site, dedicated to unusually in-depth commentary and analysis of the series, as well as news and community creations.

Forward Unto Dawn
In the spirit of Ascendant Justice, FUD is devoted to analysis and commentary on various aspects of the Halo games and universe.

Major League Gaming
An organized league of professional gamers, in which Halo plays a starring role. Forums, league schedules, rules and live streams are available from their site.

Forge Hub
A large community devoted to creating custom maps in Forge. Tutorials, guides and an active forum to provide feedback and testing, as well as an excellent resource for well crafted maps.​

Special Thanks to Louis Wu for web hosting.
footer.png

Louis Wu

Didn't make the first page of the last pair of threads, so what the heck. :D

Tempest is gorgeous, and I love it so far. I think it remains to be seen if I will still love it this much in 6 months, but I'm certainly willing to wait.

So I got the Poppin and Lockin achievement last night on the ASCENSION remake, with NO VEHICLES. I armor locked and when I came out, some guy died next to me and it said I killed him (when I didn't).

I just laughed and thanked XBL for my achievement.

Miggytronz

Major Williams said:
So I got the Poppin and Lockin achievement last night on the ASCENSION remake, with NO VEHICLES. I armor locked and when I came out, some guy died next to me and it said I killed him (when I didn't).

I just laughed and thanked XBL for my achievement.

Wonder Woman's invis plane crashed into you.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dani said:
It will be top of Live activity charts for years to come, just you see!

:lol

Hey, why isn't there a soft kill zone on top of the spaceship on Anchor 9?

Nutter

Tashi0106 said:
Woohoooo!!! Halo Reach is finally here!!!!!!
Shit, really?

I need to go buy Reach then. :p

Remember, Invasion + Breakpoint... if party is going for this, invite me.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Didn't make the first page of the last pair of threads, so what the heck. :D

Tempest is gorgeous, and I love it so far. I think it remains to be seen if I will still love it this much in 6 months, but I'm certainly willing to wait.
Same. I find myself enjoying it more with each game as I learn how it flows and what the ideal sight lines are. The CTF game I had last night with the GAF crew was just fantastic. It was my first, but it felt like there was a good tension in the base design, how it was both defensible and had ample ways to assault. I found the other team tended to neglect the cave, which proved unfortunate for them.

Tempest feels a bit like Standoff, if you took Standoff and twisted it on the center into an S shape and added man cannons. And I mean that as a high compliment.

Just got my "Totally Worth It"-achievement with a random grenade throw during the start of a Headhunter game. Feel the joy.

AwesomenessHasEnsued-1.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
Also, Lars said at the PAX panel that Firefight spaces were carved out from Campaign, since they were already set up for AI battles, not built for FF and injected into campaign. Probably due to resource/space issues, and how the AI already had pathfinding on them which could be tweaked for the FF setups. We basically play on Campaign spaces in FF, which I think works just fine. One or two aside, I think it's a great set of maps.
If I'm not mistaken, Marcus Lehto in the legendary commentary said there was a lot of back and forth between campaign and multiplayer designers on the maps, like how a certain aspect worked for MP but not necessarily for campaign. If you notice, aside from a few tweaks here and there, the maps you see in multiplayer are in campaign. This leads me to believe that the maps were compromises between campaign and MP designs. Trying to do both but end up doing neither very well.
Tashi0106 said:
Also, it plays pretty differently from Valhalla from what I've played. I've only played Slayer and Snipers on it but I'm waiting to do some objective. (Just got 1 bomb in matchmaking as I'm typing this) It's more circular than Valhalla and movement seems to be less directing towards 1 side. I'm moving around everywhere on the map.
I'm moved all around Valhalla. I used the sides a lot to get around the map as well as going up the middle. Valhalla was never "up the middle" for me, it was all around. In that sense, especially with the mancannons in the front and to the sides, it definitely gives off that miniValhalla feeling.
ShinAmano said:
It does give the mini Valhalla feel...makes me miss Valhalla. :(
Hopefully we see Valhalla as a remake in future DLC.

Also, I didn't mention it before, but when playing CTF on Tempest, something had been...nagging me about the map. Then it hit me on my last CTF match on Tempest: there aren't any plasma grenades on the map. What is up with that? I'll be able to make sure to throw around some plasma grenades while I'm tweaking the spawns and such on Tempest when I get around to it.

Jinjo

Anyway, some might remember my Zero G jump which resulted in this awesome assassination.

Today I present to you a new Zero G assassination: Hot Landing.

Render is very much appreciated.

Including bad ass pose after the deed was done.
20augko.jpg

Robot arm is awesome, I don't care what you guys say.

GhaleonEB said:
Same. I find myself enjoying it more with each game as I learn how it flows and what the ideal sight lines are. The CTF game I had last night with the GAF crew was just fantastic. It was my first, but it felt like there was a good tension in the base design, how it was both defensible and had ample ways to assault. I found the other team tended to neglect the cave, which proved unfortunate for them.

Tempest feels a bit like Standoff, if you took Standoff and twisted it on the center into an S shape and added man cannons. And I mean that as a high compliment.
I've only been able to play Tempest a couple of times, but are you talking about the big cave at the upper left of the map? I noticed it was blocked off in Forge, but as of yet haven't been able to see if it's open in an actual game. I was too busy listening to all the awesome ambient noise to check to see if it was only set to be blocked off for certain gametypes.

Awesome, dont mind me guys im just breaking myself in. Nice work again Ghaleon!

Also - nice exterm Gui! Crashing into the Banshee like that is hilarious, what was the banshee guy thinking. He must have been pissed. :lol

LosDaddie

Banned
Nice OP.

Now that it's Dec., I'm pretty sure Reach is going to be my GotY. The only other game that comes close to how much I've played Reach in 2010 is SSFIV.

ShinAmano

Halo Reach 3! F-Yeah.

Side note...with the up coming ban on Four Loko I went to the store over lunch and picked up four flavors which will add to the Reach experience this weekend. :lol

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Awesome, dont mind me guys im just breaking myself in. Nice work again Ghaleon!

Also - nice exterm Gui! Crashing into the Banshee like that is hilarious, what was the banshee guy thinking. He must have been pissed. :lol

3 of those guys quit right after the extermination. I assume they were really pissed off :lol

Jinjo

Hypertrooper said:
I rendered it. But it wasnt awesome as you had promised! :lol

Bu-but, I didn't promise anything. :(

I admit, this one was lot less cooler than the other one, but it's tough finding new ways to assassinate people in zero G. :lol The guy never noticed me flying towards him though. He kept focusing fire on my buddy.

Wow, 3 OTs in about 3 months. Is that a record??

Anyway, good job on the OT again, Ghaleon. Here's to 20,000 more posts!

Kujo

Louis Wu said:
You sure it wasn't Invasion Slayer (which is an Invasion variant, not a Slayer variant)?
Nah, it was BTB slayer, I hadn't gone into the Invasion playlist for a while.

Also I'm really liking Tempest. Reminds me of Relic

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Nutter said:
So when is the MLG play list going up?

Maybe next week or the next after. It's due any time now.

I know you're really holding out for the Grifball playlist expected at the same though. =P

Louis Wu

squidhands said:
I've only been able to play Tempest a couple of times, but are you talking about the big cave at the upper left of the map? I noticed it was blocked off in Forge, but as of yet haven't been able to see if it's open in an actual game. I was too busy listening to all the awesome ambient noise to check to see if it was only set to be blocked off for certain gametypes.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the little tunnels that run on the left side of each base (as you're looking at them from the opposing base). They're BOTH great. :D

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I'm not sure, I'll have to check that out tonight. Each side has a narrow tunnel that runs from the center to the side of the base, with the shotgun parked outside of it. That's the tunnel I used to murder the other team and steal their stuff last night. Everyone tends to be out front defending from the open basin side and the cross-man cannon fight out front.

It's the one where a Forge rock is placed so you have to jump over it to get in. Take the man cannon by rockets and then go straight past the rock/downed ship and the tunnel entrance is there.

The existence of a larger cave blocked off would explain why I wasn't able to find all of the rocks when I was trying to make a template for Tempest - I was missing four rocks from the Natural category. I bet that's where I need to look. :D

Edit: Yup Wu, that's them. Lovely little things.

Top Bottom