• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You said:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=60251379#60258668

Does this mean its only Unearthered or Unearthred will show up the majority of the time I wonder.
Oh god, I hope not. I put that map way behind Beachhead as the better map in the FF stable to choose from. The Rocket Hog might as well just gently lob the missiles at the Covenant, because shooting them out at high speeds doesn't seem to do much good. Or at the very least, offer some more, you know, vehicles on a map that's supposed to support them. Beachhead has three working vehicles for you right off the bat, and Unearthed, with it's giant fucking race track, has exactly one of the worst ones in Reach's sandbox. It's so depressing to think of what could have been.

Plywood said:
That's cool and all but I don't think we should put the player placements into the hands of a random generator. I think each team should have at least 2 competent players that way the team at least has a chance of winning.

Also HaloGAF has to regain its honor for it has dishonored The GAF™ for losing to the Bungalows.

Okay. Two lists.

If you want to play in the tourney, truthfully answer this question:
Are you good? YES/NO

All of the YES answers in one list, the NOs in the other. And Bungie plays the YES list. Then each list is randomized and teams are pick by evenly distributing the YES players.

Or something. I dunno. Maybe you have to provide 1 fileshare clip of you being good to answer YES. Tashii would just link to a montage.

Plywood said:
That's cool and all but I don't think we should put the player placements into the hands of a random generator. I think each team should have at least 2 competent players that way the team at least has a chance of winning.

Also HaloGAF has to regain its honor for it has dishonored The GAF™ for losing to the Bungalows.

Problem is how do you decide who is 'good?'

Are the small core group of good players who play with eachother the guys who make the decision? If so thats bullshit, they cant just assume that they are the best on GAF. Im personally not up for playing and so at the risk of just sounding like im causing hassle for the sake of it the 'selection' process is pretty piss poor at the moment.

Random number generator would suck aswell. There should 100% be a tournemount of some form to help judge the better players. That way everyone has a chance to shine, not just the small group of guys who play with eachother the most.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bobs99 ... said:
Problem is how do you decide who is 'good?'
Well I didn't say good I said competent, which I think can be easily seen just by a look at Weapon stats and playlist stats. If you're using AR(and not to sound like a jerk) more than DMR. You're probably not the most capable/competent player.

As for a Tourney well FFA's play out differently from Team games, I don't think there should be a Tourney.

Again I'm not saying that only competent players should be on but I think we should spread out the competent players.

Plywood said:
Well I didn't say good I said competent, which I think can be easily seen just by a look at Weapon stats and playlist stats. If you're using AR(and not to sound like a jerk) more than DMR. You're probably not the most capable/competent player.

As for a Tourney well FFA's play out differently from Team games, I don't think there should be a Tourney.

Again I'm not saying that only good players should be on but I think we should spread out the good players.

Well as long as theres a selection process other than "pick team 2", It will be fair lol.

However its decided whos good, whether thats through Bungie.net stats or through A tournament, or through clip watching, at least everyone who posts here should have a chance.

A team based tourney could work, simply because it gives everyone a chance to play together and to see who is actually good. Good players on losing teams dont necessarily have to be excluded from playing. I just think its bullshit that a few people here think they know who is good and who is bad whilst only really playing amongst themselves.

Again... I wouldnt want to be a part of the tourney myself, but I can see how shitty the current selection system is for the good guys on here who dont play with the people who seem to be making the decisions.

Thermite

bobs99 ... said:
I just think its bullshit that a few people here think they know who is good and who is bad whilst only really playing amongst themselves..

1) Look at the HaloGAF humpday
2) See matches 1, 2, and 3
3) See who won the only match
4) ????
5) Cry

Thermite said:
1) Look at the HaloGAF humpday
2) See matches 1, 2, and 3
3) See who won the only match
4) ????
5) Cry

I didn't play in any of those matches. :p

Neither did a lot of the current posters here, the way those teams was chosen sucked, using those teams to judge who the best players on HaloGaf are is laughable.

Im gonna stop, im basically just saying try and judge who the best players are around here outside of the small cliques. Team 2 seemed to come together because they all knew eachother. Dont get me wrong, team 2 kicked ass (well against bad players :p), but your potentially excluding really good players by just not giving people a chance to shine.

Tunavi

Banned
squidhands said:
Oh god, I hope not. I put that map way behind Beachhead as the better map in the FF stable to choose from. The Rocket Hog might as well just gently lob the missiles at the Covenant, because shooting them out at high speeds doesn't seem to do much good. Or at the very least, offer some more, you know, vehicles on a map that's supposed to support them. Beachhead has three working vehicles for you right off the bat, and Unearthed, with it's giant fucking race track, has exactly one of the worst ones in Reach's sandbox. It's so depressing to think of what could have been.
I still want a god damn Chain hog and a falcon on a firefight map.
Zeouterlimits said:
Agreed, less Team 2 and more spreading of the super quality players.
I don't even think Team 2 wants to participate

Hitmonchan107 said:
Bungie Aerospace. Crimson. Sage.

What if Bungie's next game is an XBLA/PSN sequel to Crimson Skies? Or a spiritual successor?

That'd be awesome.
do not want

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Account Attempt #4 said:
This doesn't exist, does it?
Just using as an example, I think if someone did it'd be a huge red flag.
Tunavi said:
I don't even think Team 2 wants to participate
I don't think that's the case but if it were I would call Team 2 a bunch of scaredy cats and other mean names ooooooOOOOooo.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
So true. Though, last time Doubles Attack rolled around, it featured 2X Attack, with doulble damage. That will actually make the Rocket Hog do damage.

I'd still rather have the regular Warthog. And have Doubles Attack be a permenant playlist, so I can romp with my daughter more often.

With Defiant required, Unearthed will probably be the first choice every time, since that's how it works in the other playlists if everyone has the map pack.

Bungie Aerospace. Crimson. Sage.

What if Bungie's next game is an XBLA/PSN sequel to Crimson Skies? Or a spiritual successor?

That'd be awesome.

Edit: I wasn't really serious, but I think I just killed that dream. Smith and Tinker has licensed the rights to the IP from Microsoft.

Although S&T is working with another company to remake MechWarrior...

And S&T filed a new trademark on April 11 named "Kapow!"

Maybe a Blam! reference? :^)

Oozer3993 said:
Aerospace = Gnop MMO.
Suddenly, it all makes sense.

9D4iG.gif

Figured I'd poke my head in here again, it's been a while. :lol

Thermite

bobs99 ... said:

Neither did a lot of the current posters here, the way those teams was chosen sucked, using those teams to judge who the best players on HaloGaf are is laughable.

Im gonna stop, im basically just saying try and judge who the best players are around here outside of the small cliques. Team 2 seemed to come together because they all knew eachother. Dont get me wrong, team 2 kicked ass (well against bad players :p), but your potentially excluding really good players by just not giving people a chance to shine.

U jelly. U mad?

Thermite said:
U jelly. U mad?

Jelly? I... dont know what you mean. Funny story though, I found out today that somone spells jalapeno's as jellypeeno's lawl.

As for Team selection, im not mad as I have no real interest in being in the team, but I think its stupid how a small group of people can decide who's the best on Halogaf whilst mostly playing amongst themselves.

bobs99 ... said:
Jelly? I... dont know what you mean. Funny story though, I found out today that somone spells jalapeno's as jellypeeno's lawl.

As for Team selection, im not mad as I have no real interest in being in the team, but I think its stupid how a small group of people can decide who's the best on Halogaf whilst mostly playing amongst themselves.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/u-jelly

Thermite be trollin cuz he was on Team 2, that's all.

Nutter

bobs99 ... said:

I would typically agree with you, but that little peace of info...

With brutal honesty Team 2 probably ARE the best, with the exceptions of perhaps 10 or so people(aka plywood) and some of which who played in the humpday on other teams.

a.k.a Most of HaloGAF sucks at this game no matter how much they defend it.

Nutter

bobs99 ... said:

LOL

So Team 2 has been generally quite about the general tournament and you are already crying over it?

It seems like you are just mad you didn't get to play last time.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Count me out of this little tournament thing. If we want to win, it would be handled differently. Winning is fun to me. This whole thing just feels like it would frustrate me :/

If we were doing it my way, HaloGAF would vote for the best player aka captain. The captain would build a team of 8 finding the best HaloGAF has to offer. And that would be final. But I get that HaloGAF is huge and that method alienates almost everyone. It's unrealistic, I understand.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
Count me out of this little tournament thing. If we want to win, it would be handled differently. Winning is fun to me. This whole thing just feels like it would frustrate me :/

If we were doing it my way, HaloGAF would vote for the best player aka captain. The captain would build a team of 8 finding the best HaloGAF has to offer. And that would be final. But I get that HaloGAF is huge and that method alienates almost everyone. It's unrealistic, I understand.

I'm out of consideration too.

Too much potential here for serious business and drama.

Tashi0106 said:

Why doesn't Team 2 do that? Each member could be a captain, and two more teams could be made from the remaining people.

You guys couldn't choose each other -- that way, each team has at least one badass member.

Or, each team could have one member of Team 2, and the remaining slots could be filled in randomly.

Just some suggestions.

I think I just solved a BWU mystery.

Remember this post I made 2 weeks ago? Here it is:

ncsuDuncan said:
From the BWU:
If we round that up to 10 minutes to account for postgame time and matchmaking time, that’s 144 games in a 24 hour period for one team. The average cow yields about 84 lbs. of steak, assuming 8 oz. steaks...we’ll need 1.7 cows.

My guess? A 24 hour community playdate in the Double Team playlist, with rotating teams of 2 Bungie employees

144 Games * 2 Players = 288 Steaktaculars for the Halo fans

288 steaks * 8 oz. = 2,304 oz. (of steak owed to fans)
84 lbs (per cow) * 16 oz. (per pound) = 1,344 oz. (of steak per cow)

2,304 / 1,344 = 1.71 cows needed.

Just a guess. I'd also consider it's connected to Doubles Attack, but you can't earn Steaktaculars in Firefight.

Hitmonchan's confusion about the HaloFest hours prompted me to post this:

ncsuDuncan said:
I think that was a typo in the initial press release, it's been corrected since:

WHEN:
Friday, August 26 10am-6pm
Saturday, August 27 10am-6pm
Sunday, August 28 10am-6pm​

I really only noticed because I thought it was weird HaloFest extended past the Show Floor times just that one day.

Of course, that doesn't mean 343/Bungie don't have anything planned after 6pm, just that it won't be happening at the Annex 3rd Floor...

HaloFest total time: 24 HOURS

Theory: Bungie will be at HaloFest playing Double Team and handing out ACTUAL STEAKS for the steaktaculars (or maybe for every fan that wins).

Hitmonchan107 said:
Why doesn't Team 2 do that? Each member could be a captain, and two more teams could be made from the remaining people.

You guys couldn't choose each other -- that way, each team has at least one badass member.

Hitmonchan could we get a team together of new guys, or juniors?

Well there are several matches lined up, each possibly best of 3. Can't we have a different team each time? That's 12/24 players a match. I can only play weekends and even then its never definite so I will stand down for the moment.

O D I N

Just posting a general message:

My Live account was hacked today. I'm in the process of trying to recover it via Microsoft (we'll see how this goes...). If anyone has me on their friends list, ignore anything I say or do until I give the all clear.

:-/ This sucks.

A27_StarWolf said:
Hitmonchan could we get a team together of new guys, or juniors?
That's up to you guys.

Let me try to get this thing locked down before I talk about it more.

Remember guys, it's just for fun. I know that when Bungie won, the hurt was so deep. You don't know if you can go through that again.

But I think you'll pull through. I believe in you. Your magic is real.

Nutter said:
I would typically agree with you, but that little peace of info...

With brutal honesty Team 2 probably ARE the best, with the exceptions of perhaps 10 or so people(aka plywood) and some of which who played in the humpday on other teams.

a.k.a Most of HaloGAF sucks at this game no matter how much they defend it.

Meh 10 people is enough to make an entire team lol, its pretty shitty than 10 people can be excluded that easily.

Meh I just have a bee in my bonnet because I wasnt on team 2 :p

Nutter said:
LOL

So Team 2 has been generally quite about the general tournament and you are already crying over it?

It seems like you are just mad you didn't get to play last time.

I know your a smart guy so dont give me that. Im just saying its annoying to see a group of people take control and dictate who is 'good' and 'bad'. Individuals should have more say despite the fact that dont have people on here to help em get into teams. Just so its clear I dont want to be on the team, I just think theres a slightly elitist attitude around here.

Gui_PT

If ANYONE has a spot in this tournament, it's Letters.

He's been here for years and on the last Humpday he lost his spot to a junior. Turrible.

Hitmonchan107 said:
That's up to you guys.

Let me try to get this thing locked down before I talk about it more.

Remember guys, it's just for fun. I know that when Bungie won, the hurt was so deep. You don't know if you can go through that again.

But I think you'll pull through. I believe in you. Your magic is real.

Just let me know if we are ALLOWED to have another team from GAF

A27_StarWolf said:
Just let me know if we are ALLOWED to have another team from GAF
I'm setting it up to where each community can have as many teams as they'd like. It'll be up to one or two people from each community to organize itself. Those community leaders wouldn't have to play if they don't want to.

It's not feasible for me to go around and do this myself.

Personally, I think Dani should organize GAF. He does an absolutely sensational job hosting customs every weekend. That's my opinion.

I'm glad there's an interest for this, though. :^)

Tashi

Hitmonchan107 said:

Or, each team could have one member of Team 2, and the remaining slots could be filled in randomly.

Just some suggestions.

Soooooo 10 teams?

That's a little nuts. Also, it takes more than 1 guy to carry a team of 8. It's even difficult to do that in a team of 4.

Tashi0106 said:
Soooooo 10 teams?

That's a little nuts. Also, it takes more than 1 guy to carry a team of 8. It's even difficult to do that in a team of 4.
Teams of 6.

I don't think 10 teams would work out for you guys, but it's definitely possible to do that.

Aim for four teams. That's 24 people.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
Ghaleon.

Tonight we will play firefight, like kings! I love thursday night firefight, or TNFF
I'm probably going to spend much of tonight soloing Glacier in Score Attack. It's a lot more palatable to me than MP, which features even more slowdown than one player.

It'll take six games of Score Attack (I did two this morning), which is probably my playtime for today. If I'm not burned out though I'll shoot you a note if you're on.

BTW, how do you lock your party in Reach? I've never done it but I've always wondered.

Tashi

Hitmonchan107 said:
Teams of 6.

I don't think 10 teams would work out for you guys, but it's definitely possible to do that.

Aim for four teams. That's 24 people.

Oh I didn't know it was teams of 6.

Well, I hope you guys figure something out. Good luck.

GhaleonEB said:
BTW, how do you lock your party in Reach? I've never done it but I've always wondered.
At the top of the Active Roster, right above your gamertag. Click on that and you can set it to Closed or restrict the party size.

GhaleonEB

I just realized I've been confusing A27 Tawpgun and A27_StarWolf for the same person for, um, I have no idea how long. What's up with the "A27 Compoundword" formulation?

ncsuDuncan said:
At the top of the Active Roster, right above your gamertag. Click on that and you can set it to Closed or restrict the party size.
Thanks. I was always shuffling around the Y-Menu.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I just realized I've been confusing A27 Tawpgun and A27_StarWolf for the same person for, um, I have no idea how long. What's up with the "A27 Compoundword" formulation?

I'm the better one, thats how you tell the difference. ;)

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm the better one, thats how you tell the difference. ;)

1 V 1....

Can't take on lake any who :p

A27 Tawpgun said:
3 teams of 8 or 6 imo.

Pick the best of the best. If its close take into account the length the member has been on GAF.

If we are given the opportunity to have our own team, why not.

Top Bottom