• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Dax01 said:
Also, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed today. Ugh.

I remember when I was 16 ;)

Striker said:
Just insert some CTF and Assault games, like 2-flag on Tempest, Anchor 9, or Neutral Bomb, etc.

Straight Slayer to me gets stale fairly fast. Doesn't help they have three full built Slayer playlists, two of which are just one more teammate and one less AA alike.

The melee is doubtful to change. Though to be honest I haven't gotten annoyed so much at double melee as I did to Halo 3's constant and berating simultaneous beatdowns.

LOL at Tempest and Anchor 9 actually showing up in the playlist. ;(

Steelyuhas said:
Seriously I have no idea how DLC doesn't show up more often. Surely they knew that was something people were not happy with in Halo 3, but it seems like DLC comes up even LESS in Reach matchmaking.

FilthyLies said:
Seriously I have no idea how DLC doesn't show up more often. Surely they knew that was something people were not happy with in Halo 3, but it seems like DLC comes up even LESS in Reach matchmaking.

Yeah it's been a huge disappointment with Reach's matchmaking for myself, especially after how clearly awful it was in H3. They put DLC as part of searching in matchmaking into the game, but clearly its importance in matching players up is very low because it doesn't work at all.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Just finished reading this, great article!

I'm really glad you wrote it, I'm actually working on a loosely related article myself. Mine is focused more on what I'd like to see done with Challenges/Player Investment in the next game (as opposed to your practical ideas and hopes within Reach's current system). It's more of a brainstorming/hypothetical situation piece, mostly for me to just collect various ideas I've posted on forums from time to time.

A ton of work went into your article and it shows. The analysis is top-notch. My lunch break ran a little long today...
:)
Thanks for the kind words. :)

I look forward to your article. One thing I had to be careful of with this one was scope creep. I orginally was going to write about the overall Reach investment system, and then scaled it down to focus on Challenges. And from there I was going to go off on a larger direction in the second half, sort of brainstorming how the system could be improved on the next go round.

But in the end that all proved too much; I'd be writing a novel. So I focused it, and all that was left of my suggestions for the next go round was one high-level paragraph near the end. I think much more capable folks can tackle the rest of the investment system and and how to reimagine it. (Such as yourself.)

BTW, someone from Bizarre Creations posted an interesting response in the HBO forums. I don't think Reach's system is as flexible as he describes, but I'd love for it to be so.

Dax, I could tell you about my wisdom teeth story, but it would fill you with mortal terror. Let's just say 20 years later I still can't open my mouth to a normal degree.

Good luck. :)

feel

26 kills Perfection on 3v3 Ranked Team Slayer on The Pit :) :)

remembering after the match ends that I died going for the first Rocket D: D:

Havok

Dax01 said:
Just got out, and I feel fine. Slightly sleepy though.
I had my compacted wisdom teeth out while the whole Adjutant Reflex Halo 3 ARG was going on. I can't even remember how many people I banned over at bnet's CompoundIntelligence while soaring on the medication I was on. Many.

Also:
Striker said:
Just insert some CTF and Assault games, like 2-flag on Tempest, Anchor 9, or Neutral Bomb, etc.

Straight Slayer to me gets stale fairly fast. Doesn't help they have three full built Slayer playlists, two of which are just one more teammate and one less AA alike.

The melee is doubtful to change. Though to be honest I haven't gotten annoyed so much at double melee as I did to Halo 3's constant and berating simultaneous beatdowns.
I think transitioning it from Squad Slayer to Squad Skirmish is a great direction to go in. I really don't see the point in a triplicate of Slayer playlists, and some differentiation would do a lot for the state of playlists in Reach. I assume there's concern that Slayer will just be voted for every time, but I think the people who would go into that playlist looking for objective would be in a position where team voting is a viable option.

bobs99 ... said:
I should be able to make the 28th, but what time is 7PM EST? Am I right in thinking its about 5 hours from now?

Yes, it's 2:07pm EST at the time of this posting.

So the Halo Community Tournament starts in roughly 29 hours. :)

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
I remember when I was 16 ;)

Tempest and A9 were one of the choices in probably 50% of our matches last night...

I still can't believe some of you are still doubting a remake of CE or something along those lines.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes, it's 2:07pm EST at the time of this posting.

So the Halo Community Tournament starts in roughly 29 hours. :)

Thanks, thats actually really good timings for us UK folk, customs start at 12PM so even if I arrive a little later than that ill probably play for a hour or two. Sweet. :p

Nice Article Ghaleon, I was hoping to see that graph discussing the payout over time again with a bit more of a in depth discussion about it, thats the part of the challenge system that dissapoints me the most... the inconsistancies and lack of scaling up of payouts.

Hey You

Super Jackpot Weekend starts now and runs until Sunday night! Play and complete games in TEAM CLASSIC for a chance to win a daily Super Jackpot of 15,000 credits!

The following playlists are currently offering Double Jackpots all week long!
- THE ARENA
- SQUAD SLAYER
- DEFIANT MAP PACK
- DOUBLES ATTACK

Why does Bungie continue to do jackpots in Squad Slayer? It clearly doesn't need a boost.

Glad to see Team Classic is getting a jackpot, maybe some of my friends will play it.

Hey You said:
Super Jackpot Weekend starts now and runs until Sunday night! Play and complete games in TEAM CLASSIC for a chance to win a daily Super Jackpot of 15,000 credits!

The following playlists are currently offering Double Jackpots all week long!
- THE ARENA
- SQUAD SLAYER
- DEFIANT MAP PACK
- DOUBLES ATTACK
Link

Why does Bungie continue to do jackpots in Squad Slayer? It clearly doesn't need a boost.

Glad to see Team Classic is getting a jackpot, maybe some of my friends will play it.
Hooray! Classic getting the Super Jackpot love! 15,000? I wonder how high the population will get (and if any of it will stick).

I'd still rather drop the Super Jackpot business and just have a more predictable double completion bonus (NOT double jackpots), but its better than nothing.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
I messaged you on XBL earlier. I'm thinking about pulling an all-nighter. I'm about an hour away from doing it without trying.
lol yeah I was pretty Reached out, I played some super meat boy, some San Andreas and just went to bed. I was exhausted. Didn't get your message until now.
The Real Napsta said:
I just got the newest OXM in the mail. They tease the CE remake again. Saying that "on 11/15/11" we'll be playing "the anniversary".
I'm sick of the teasing, I'm waiting until E3 for a god damn legitimate announcement.
Plywood said:
This doesn't tell me anything.

Thanks.
Funny guy.

Bitch.

Hey You

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
While on the subject of Classic:

http://www.bungie.net/forums/posts.aspx?postID=60831144&postRepeater1-p=1#60831565

I thought Classic would be a huge success, it seemed to have a lot of hype when it was announced.
I think it's a mix of two things. The audience that was asking for Classic was relatively small, but vocal. And getting a true classic game isn't possible with Reach's core gameplay and the knobs Jeremiah has available. I should in theory love Classic but for me it was a worst of all cases sort of thing, with thermonuclear grenades and added speed that made bloom even harder to manage. It doesn't feel anything like past Halo games to me.

I admire the effort that went into it, but in the end I don't think the goal is really achievable.

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's a mix of two things. The audience that was asking for Classic was relatively small, but vocal. And getting a true classic game isn't possible with Reach's core gameplay and the knobs Jeremiah has available. I should in theory love Classic but for me it was a worst of all cases sort of thing, with thermonuclear grenades and added speed that made bloom even harder to manage. It doesn't feel anything like past Halo games to me.

I admire the effort that went into it, but in the end I don't think the goal is really achievable.

Nails it. It plays like an amateur attempt at trying to recreate the speed/feeling of past games, instead you feel like you're playing a game of Mario on an ice world in too small of play spaces while dodging nukes. At least they tried I guess.

GhaleonEB said:

Umm, it's much easier to manage because you spawn with the NR, not the rando-DMR.

GhaleonEB said:

Sad but true.

I still like my crazy idea:
Disc 1: Halo CE re-imagining using a heavily modified Reach engine

Disc 2: Multiplayer disc compatible with Reach Multiplayer.

So normal Reach gets a tiny title update/patch that lets it play nicely with this new disc. Owners of the new disc get a couple new Reach maps (that will eventually be DLC for people still playing with the old Reach disc) as well as access to the new Classic playlists and levels. These playlists use the new modified Reach properties and people using a normal Reach disc can not access them at all (since compatibility would require a HUGE title update).

It would be like if the ODST multiplayer disc had an exclusive playlist where you can play on Heretic and Citadel with Halo 2 movement speed, jump height, weapon damage, etc. But you could still jump into the normal Halo 3 playlists too.

The Halo CE/Reach version would have playlists that turn off bloom and have adjusted grenade damage.

Not sure if this would be possible at all, but it's my crazy idea for a way to add in new balance knobs without abandoning vanilla Reach. It just sidesteps the massive title update and bakes it into a new disc.

Wow. Nice work on that Challenge breakdown GhaleonEB. I feel like an expert on the subject now. I also have a feeling I'll be popping in Reach on Thursdays more often ;P

Challenges and Autolog are both features I'd like to see become standard in gaming. Good stuff.

kylej

Banned
would anyone perchance mayhaps enjoy donging in thy video game halo Reach please hop online send jelyk a message thank you so much god bless the USA

Trasher

Hey You said:
Do you still have Bungie Pro (like did It expire)?

If you have Bungie pro still and do not have your points, you should contact Bungie Customer Service.
Yeah, it did expire. I wasn't aware that you lost your render minutes when Bungie Pro expired. Otherwise I would have rendered stuff for people here or whatever.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody want to team up for the Weekly Challenge tonight? BEast coast here, and I'll be on around 10pm...maybe 11pm.

Also, any tips on how to get the challenge done from those of you who have completed it? thanks

Ramirez

LosDaddie said:
Anybody want to team up for the Weekly Challenge tonight? BEast coast here, and I'll be on around 10pm...maybe 11pm.

Also, any tips on how to get the challenge done from those of you who have completed it? thanks

Just look up a Nightfall speed run on YT, I did it by myself in like 5 minutes, don't have to fight a single thing...

Tawpgun

I'm assuming the tourney is going to be every Saturday at 7 until it ends right?

Also what are the rules regarding DQ's and no shows? What if a team is short players? How long do we wait for a team until they forfeit? These should be clear so there's no ambiguity and disputes in this thing. It should go as smoothly as possible.

Trasher

LosDaddie said:
Yeah.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm assuming the tourney is going to be every Saturday at 7 until it ends right?

Also what are the rules regarding DQ's and no shows? What if a team is short players? How long do we wait for a team until they forfeit? These should be clear so there's no ambiguity and disputes in this thing. It should go as smoothly as possible.
We do the whole thing in one night. 7-11pm EST.

If a team no-shows I believe they are just DQed.

LosDaddie

Banned
Ramirez said:
Just look up a Nightfall speed run on YT, I did it by myself in like 5 minutes, don't have to fight a single thing...

I can never get the forklift glitch to work :( I tried for over an hour for the LASO challenge and couldn't do it.

Trasher

LosDaddie said:
I can never get the forklift glitch to work :( I tried for over an hour for the LASO challenge and couldn't do it.
You just have to get the thing as close to the door as possible near the center, and then just keep working it in different areas. Takes a few tries sometimes.

GhaleonEB

LosDaddie said:
Another easy level is Winter Contingency. You can sprint past the first three encounters (look up the WC speedrun if you're not sure how, it's easy), then drive straight to the trooper pick up. From there just work quickly, but it's doable in well under 15 minutes. You just have to do the trooper pick up fight, then outside the communications outpost, then clear out the inside. Each takes a couple minutes.

LosDaddie said:
Usually you hit a checkpoint right before you get into the forklift, so if it you get blowed up by the turrets (you can stealthily take them out as well, just to be safe) you can just resume checkpoint. I never get it on the first try, so don't give up. If I can do it, pretty much anyone can.

A27 Tawpgun said:

As Trasher said, this thing is one night only. Hopefully we can get the bracket finished. (5 rounds in 4 hours should be doable.)

No-shows will be disqualified after a predetermined wait time. Teams with less than 6 players that show up will be sent to customs after the wait. Considering they can have up to 18 on the roster I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

I'm going to send out an email to all of the team leaders today with more details (including how long we'll wait before we declare no-show/DQ).

Trasher said:
You just have to get the thing as close to the door as possible near the center, and then just keep working it in different areas. Takes a few tries sometimes.
TWSS

LosDaddie

Banned
Trasher said:

Getting the forklift to line-up properly was my problem. Never could do it.

Ramirez

LosDaddie said:

I think it also helps if you push your stick towards the door when exiting it, or maybe that's just in my head when I do it.

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
How so? NR bloom is almost a non-factor if you pace correctly. You still get a high rate of fire pacing correctly too.

With the NR, pacers beat spammers. Unlike the DMR.
More specifically, a non-sequitur. I thought I'd love the classic playlist. I don't.
Why? because bloom is abused and even more broken than in stock reach.

I absolutely hate nostalgia. The NR is supposed to be the H1 pistol. And it pretty much is that, in classic, and more. You hold down the trigger (on these miniscule maps that are in the playlist) and you will always get the kill faster than you would if you pace it. This cannot be refuted as the fact is, the NR at full spread is just about equal to the spread of the H1 pistol. But then there's the other fact that you can just hold down the trigger, or press the trigger as fast as you want. There is a reason the pistol was not continued as it was into H2, and the damage of the pistol in H1 was not even how it was meant to be. It was a mistake from the shared tag structure. It should not be replicated, and cannot be replicated in the NR. It does not promote gameplay in the slightest. the whole concept of raising the damage of everything to approximate that pistol broke just about everything else. The AR is about as powerful the chaingun.

H1 is far far far removed from the balance of H2. If the gametypes were made to replicate H2, objective, 6v6, and bigger maps were added it could have a chance of being amazing.

This is not directed at you, just at my disappointment of the classic playlist.

Hey You

Trasher said:
Yeah, it did expire. I wasn't aware that you lost your render minutes when Bungie Pro expired. Otherwise I would have rendered stuff for people here or whatever.
If you bought some minutes, then they will be there when you re-sub.

Trasher

LosDaddie said:
I usually get it as close to the door as I can while driving, and then I will jump out and melee it in to make sure it's nice and snug up against the door.

Hey You said:
If you bought some minutes, then they will be there when you re-sub.
Good to know. Thanks.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
Another easy level is Winter Contingency. You can sprint past the first three encounters (look up the WC speedrun if you're not sure how, it's easy), then drive straight to the trooper pick up. From there just work quickly, but it's doable in well under 15 minutes. You just have to do the trooper pick up fight, then outside the communications outpost, then clear out the inside. Each takes a couple minutes.
lol

I was with you until the 'clear out the inside' part. That NEVER takes me just a couple minutes. That kicks my ass every time. (Well, on Legendary. I can't remember the last time i did it on Heroic; maybe it's easier there. :) )
A27_StarWolf said:
Don't forget to shine his shoes, oh oh and pick up his dry cleaning!
rofl - dry cleaning? I wear t-shirts and jeans (or shorts) about 99% of the time. ;)

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
How could I miss this? :lol

Lou Wu rocking the Sevan Seraphs shirt (Have I mentioned how sexy you are today?)
Bungled Weekly Update: 5/20/11
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=33354

Dani steps down on a high note in his final Bungled Weekly Update. There's some fantastic stuff in here, including the tentative June Matchmaking updates, two Blame Ghaleons, a shoutout to the Halo Community Tournament and a recap of "Destiny." I hear the guy who broke that story is amazingly cute – AND humble. I hope these continue if the Weekly Update goes kaput. Give it a read! (Hitmonchan 00:03:27 UTC)

Love is in the air.

Louis Wu said:
lol

I was with you until the 'clear out the inside' part. That NEVER takes me just a couple minutes. That kicks my ass every time. (Well, on Legendary. I can't remember the last time i did it on Heroic; maybe it's easier there. :) )
It is. For the first part, I just wait a few moments as the Grunts and Jackals walk forward, then blow the tanks on the right. Takes 6-8 out at once. Then a couple grenades in the hallway (usually 4-6 kills there). Inside goes fast with a PP and DMR. Probably takes me 90 seconds on Heroic.

Legendary kicks my ass. :)

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
Love is in the air.
The first of those sentiments was directed at another - the second was at himself.

(I guess self-love is a good thing, as long as you're not entering that GAF contest...)

Top Bottom