• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Trasher

Louis Wu said:
lol

I was with you until the 'clear out the inside' part. That NEVER takes me just a couple minutes. That kicks my ass every time. (Well, on Legendary. I can't remember the last time i did it on Heroic; maybe it's easier there. :) )

rofl - dry cleaning? I wear t-shirts and jeans (or shorts) about 99% of the time. ;)
You wear dry-cleaned t-shirts and jeans/shorts. Don't play us for fools, sir.

Unfortunately, Ghal, you missed the sad part of that post:

GhaleonEB said:
Bungled Weekly Update: 5/20/11
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=33354

Dani steps down on a high note in his final Bungled Weekly Update. There's some fantastic stuff in here, including the tentative June Matchmaking updates, two Blame Ghaleons, a shoutout to the Halo Community Tournament and a recap of "Destiny." I hear the guy who broke that story is amazingly cute – AND humble. I hope these continue if the Weekly Update goes kaput. Give it a read! (Hitmonchan 00:03:27 UTC)​
-------
Louis Wu said:
DAMN I wish I had that kind of money. (I wouldn't spend it on drycleaning if I did, but I wish I had it anyway.)

Me too. Your dry cleaning isn't cheap, sir.

Louis Wu

Trasher said:
DAMN I wish I had that kind of money. (I wouldn't spend it on drycleaning if I did, but I wish I had it anyway.)

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Unfortunately, Ghal, you missed the sad part of that post:
I think you both misunderstood. I was making fun of your raging hormones, which get directed at yourself as well as others. :p

Trasher said:

Hey if I had a Destiny shirt I'd dry-clean that sucker too. You don't want to pull it out of the washing machine and realize you only have six Seraphs left.

And everybody knows you don't have to wash jeans. (True story: My roommate in college wore the same pair for a month without washing. I did not participate in this challenge.)

Anyone want to take a guess at what Crimson Alliance is? Is it odd that both Bungie Aerospace and Certain Affinity are attached to the name Crimson?

ncsuDuncan said:
And everybody knows you don't have to wash jeans. (True story: My roommate in college wore the same pair for a month without washing. I did not participate in this challenge.)
Just put a dryer sheet in the back pocket and you're good to go.

GhaleonEB said:
I think you both misunderstood. I was making fun of your raging hormones, which get directed at yourself as well as others. :p
LMAO. I'll be sure to steady the love boat with a stronger hand from now on.

GhaleonEB said:
I think it's a mix of two things. The audience that was asking for Classic was relatively small, but vocal. And getting a true classic game isn't possible with Reach's core gameplay and the knobs Jeremiah has available. I should in theory love Classic but for me it was a worst of all cases sort of thing, with thermonuclear grenades and added speed that made bloom even harder to manage. It doesn't feel anything like past Halo games to me.

I admire the effort that went into it, but in the end I don't think the goal is really achievable.

This. I did appreciate the effort and really liked how they found a way to implement power ups, specifically the OS. I also enjoyed the swell of nostalgia after playing on some of the classic maps but something about it just felt off. If it does go the way of H2H I hope we get to see those maps in other MM playlists down the road.

On a semi-related note Uncaged is an abomination that should be permanently deleted from existence especially when there are so many other vastly superior Forge maps that we could/should be playing on. Horrible flow, dreadful lines of sight, ridiculous spawns and Jetpacks ruining whatever redeeming quality the map actually had left.

Tawpgun

Thanks for all the tourney info. So it seems like captains get the list of players to send FRS to.

I really hope this goes off without a hitch.

*stretches arms* Okay. I was more sleepy than I thought.
GhaleonEB said:
Dax, I could tell you about my wisdom teeth story, but it would fill you with mortal terror. Let's just say 20 years later I still can't open my mouth to a normal degree.

Good luck. :)
Thanks! You could put that story at the end of your campaign review. Haha. Yeah, right now it hurts to open my mouth fully. Can only open it a little. Hurts to eat what I can too. Good in the article too.

Also, interesting about that crystal ball prediction. I'm still leaning on the side of it not happening.
Havok said:
I had my compacted wisdom teeth out while the whole Adjutant Reflex Halo 3 ARG was going on. I can't even remember how many people I banned over at bnet's CompoundIntelligence while soaring on the medication I was on. Many.
lawl

MrBig said:
More specifically, a non-sequitur. I thought I'd love the classic playlist. I don't.
Why? because bloom is abused and even more broken than in stock reach.

I absolutely hate nostalgia. The NR is supposed to be the H1 pistol. And it pretty much is that, in classic, and more. You hold down the trigger (on these miniscule maps that are in the playlist) and you will always get the kill faster than you would if you pace it. This cannot be refuted as the fact is, the NR at full spread is just about equal to the spread of the H1 pistol. But then there's the other fact that you can just hold down the trigger, or press the trigger as fast as you want. There is a reason the pistol was not continued as it was into H2, and the damage of the pistol in H1 was not even how it was meant to be. It was a mistake from the shared tag structure. It should not be replicated, and cannot be replicated in the NR. It does not promote gameplay in the slightest. the whole concept of raising the damage of everything to approximate that pistol broke just about everything else. The AR is about as powerful the chaingun.

H1 is far far far removed from the balance of H2. If the gametypes were made to replicate H2, objective, 6v6, and bigger maps were added it could have a chance of being amazing.

This is not directed at you, just at my disappointment of the classic playlist.

I don't think we're playing the same playlist. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a spammed NR. For me it's pace or die.

I completely agree on the nades and AR though. It should be 100% damage for sure.

Ramirez

We need to be nailin' out the gametypes that we want to play in the tourney when it's our pick. I'll just list some the decent options for 6v6, get the ball rollin'...

-Multiflag on Tempest
-Slayer on Tempest
-Slayer on Boardwalk
-Multiflag on Condemned
-Slayer on Condemned

Sadly, that's about all I can come up with that work really well with 6v6. :| Powerhouse spawns would be a nightmare with 12, it's already shady at times with 10 in SS...

FWIW, I think multiflag on Tempest/Condemned would be best against these guys, I don't think they play much as a team from what I've gathered, maybe 3-4 of them, but definitely not all 6. I think they would have a chance of pooping on us in slayer.

Ramirez said:
We need to be nailin' out the gametypes that we want to play in the tourney when it's our pick. I'll just list some the decent options for 6v6, get the ball rollin'...

-Multiflag on Tempest
-Slayer on Tempest
-Slayer on Boardwalk
-Multiflag on Condemned
-Slayer on Condemned

Sadly, that's about all I can come up with that work really well with 6v6. :| Powerhouse spawns would be a nightmare with 12, it's already shady at times with 10 in SS...

Is DLC required for the tournament?

Also eww ARs on Boardwalk?

Ramirez

The Real Napsta said:
Is DLC required for the tournament?

Also eww ARs on Boardwalk?

If you can't play DLC, then this is going to be the worst tournament in the history of mankind, none of the stock maps aside from Boardwalk can accommodate this many people and be some what fun.

ARs? I figured anyone who reads my posts by now would know that DMRs are implied. :p

Trasher

Apparently my internet at home is better than my internet at school...

Host feels good man.

Do you all open ports for your routers? My NAT is open on this router so do I still have to forward ports?

Ramirez said:
If you can't play DLC, then this is going to be the worst tournament in the history of mankind, none of the stock maps aside from Boardwalk can accommodate this many people and be some what fun.
If everyone has the DLC, then you can use them. I'd plan some map/gametype combos on launch/MM Forge maps just in case.

We didn't want to exclude people because they didn't have the DLC. While the maps are arguably the strongest and most suited for 6v6 games, having an additional monetary barrier felt wrong to me.

People should be able to play, even if they can't afford the maps.

Edit: Bungie, you sneaky jerks.

Does anyone know what song is playing at that section?

MrBig

Trasher said:
Apparently my internet at home is better than my internet at school...

Host feels good man.

Do you all open ports for your routers? My NAT is open on this router so do I still have to forward ports?
I'd just go ahead and add your 360 to your routers DMZ.

Booshka

MrBig said:
More specifically, a non-sequitur. I thought I'd love the classic playlist. I don't.
Why? because bloom is abused and even more broken than in stock reach.

I absolutely hate nostalgia. The NR is supposed to be the H1 pistol. And it pretty much is that, in classic, and more. You hold down the trigger (on these miniscule maps that are in the playlist) and you will always get the kill faster than you would if you pace it. This cannot be refuted as the fact is, the NR at full spread is just about equal to the spread of the H1 pistol. But then there's the other fact that you can just hold down the trigger, or press the trigger as fast as you want. There is a reason the pistol was not continued as it was into H2, and the damage of the pistol in H1 was not even how it was meant to be. It was a mistake from the shared tag structure. It should not be replicated, and cannot be replicated in the NR. It does not promote gameplay in the slightest. the whole concept of raising the damage of everything to approximate that pistol broke just about everything else. The AR is about as powerful the chaingun.

H1 is far far far removed from the balance of H2. If the gametypes were made to replicate H2, objective, 6v6, and bigger maps were added it could have a chance of being amazing.
This is not directed at you, just at my disappointment of the classic playlist.

That made my head hurt, H2 being more balanced than H1 is silly. I understand that Reach can't do Classic Halo properly, they need individual weapon/melee/grenade damage modifiers for it to possibly work. But Halo 2 was silly as hell with the balance. Halo 2's BR became nearly as dominant in Halo 2 as the Pistol in Halo 1. With BxR, Double shots and a few more elaborate glitches, the same kind of players that dominated with the Pistol in H1, dominated with the H2 BR. Quick example, I was more likely to get a insta-kill with a BxR online than with a shotgun; broken game. But players loved it, and dominated, so they nerfed it in Halo 3 and removed glitches.

The Halo 1 pistol only had a spread if you held the trigger down, only noobs did that. If you pulled the trigger every shot, you could pretty much get the same rate of fire with no spread whatsoever. I wish I had proof, but I also read an IRC chat where someone asked John Howard if the Pistol damage was a mistake and he said "No." ChaosTh3ory from the MLG forums had that chat with him, don't know the specifics though.

I'm going to say "Crimson Alliance" is not Halo-related.

Here's the classification for it:

Classification: M, Fantasy violence; Gaming experience may change online

To the best of my knowledge, a Halo game has never received a classification for fantasy violence.

Letters said:
26 kills Perfection on 3v3 Ranked Team Slayer on The Pit :) :)

remembering after the match ends that I died going for the first Rocket D: D:

Ha ha, always happens man. It'll be halfway through the game, get a running riot... Am I on a perfection? I can't remember dying........ check post game stats _1 death_

MrBig

Booshka said:
That made my head hurt, H2 being more balanced than H1 is silly. I understand that Reach can't do Classic Halo properly, they need individual weapon/melee/grenade damage modifiers for it to possibly work. But Halo 2 was silly as hell with the balance. Halo 2's BR became nearly as dominant in Halo 2 as the Pistol in Halo 1. With BxR, Double shots and a few more elaborate glitches, the same kind of players that dominated with the Pistol in H1, dominated with the H2 BR. Quick example, I was more likely to get a insta-kill with a BxR online than with a shotgun; broken game. But players loved it, and dominated, so they nerfed it in Halo 3 and removed glitches.
Halo 2 was built with MP in mind. H1 wasn't; it wasn't even considered essential to the game at first iirc. I did not consider any of the weapon glitches in my opinion because they were irrelevant to my point, and bringing them up means nothing.

Should the point not be to correct mistakes and not have that dominance? My point remains that there should be a go-to weapon but not completely dominate weapon.

Dax01 said:
Bnet poll this week is fairly interesting. "Which Halo game is hardest on Legendary." I'm surprised that Reach has more votes than Halo 2 because, like many aspects of Halo 2, Legendary was broken. Reach's is unfair (broken in some aspects, but not the majority of the time).

Reach is the easiest campaign on legendary. I beat just around the first week it came out, in just two sittings. H1 took me a few months. I never actually finished H2. H3 was a week or two.

Bnet poll this week is fairly interesting. "Which Halo game is hardest on Legendary." I'm surprised that Reach has more votes than Halo 2 because, like many aspects of Halo 2, Legendary was broken. Reach's is unfair (broken in some aspects, but not the majority of the time).

Willeth

Dax01 said:
I'm guessing it's just that more people have played Reach Legendary.

Fun fact: I have only ever beaten the hardest difficulties on Halo 3, ODST, Reach, MW2, Gears 1 and Gears 2, and out of those MW2 and Reach are the only ones I did (or probably could do) solo.

That said, I should go back to Halo 3 and ODST and Legendary them at some point, I'm sure I've got a lot better since then and I know that I've at least done a few levels solo.

Trasher

MrBig said:
I'd just go ahead and add your 360 to your routers DMZ.
Don't you need like your MAC address and stuff for that?

Btw, GGs Kyle, Choc, Tunavi, and Plywood. That's what I call the "ole dong".

And Tashi, if you read this, get on AIM, bro!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Good games kylej, vhfive(earlier), Tunavi, Choco and TJ Trasher.
Trasher said:
Btw, GGs Kyle, Choc, Tunavi, and Plywood. That's what I call the "ole dong".
jlxCm.gif

vhfive

Plywood said:
Good games kylej, vhfive(earlier), Tunavi, Choco and TJ Trasher.

http://i.imgur.com/jlxCm.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
yea even though we were winning I was playing like shit and getting really frustrated (fuck armor lock)

MrBig said:
Halo 2 was built with MP in mind. H1 wasn't;

That doesn't really mean anything. HCE is still more balanced. In HCE every gun has it's niche.

Rockets beat pistol
Sniper beats pistol long range
shotgun beats pistol close range
AR with BLB and longer melee reach beats pistol up close
PR with freeze beats pistol up close
PP with a fast trigger finger can be deadly
Needler shouldn't be picked up.

That's balance. One go to weapon and weapons that can beat that weapon in their niche.

Halo 2 being balanced is a joke.
Noob combo (no skill, quick kill)
Sword (huge lunge, infinite ammo)
Sniper is way too easy to use (huge hit boxes, lol worthy amounts of aim assist)
BR is also way to easy to use for the same reasons.
tons of garbage weapons that no one good ever picked up.

MrBig said:
I did not consider any of the weapon glitches in my opinion because they were irrelevant to my point, and bringing them up means nothing.

It is relevant, if you are talking about game balance. Button glitches upset the game balance. Relevant.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ramirez said:

ARs? I figured anyone who reads my posts by now would know that DMRs are implied. :p

Suddenly very glad I didn't get picked.

zumphry

Banned
LosDaddie said:
I can never get the forklift glitch to work :( I tried for over an hour for the LASO challenge and couldn't do it.

I couldn't get it to work until I realized that you need to line up with the exact middle of the gate, where it sticks out in the middle. Always thought it was slightly beyond that for some reason.

Hitmonchan107 said:

When I clicked that video after watching this hilariously old, awkward, tubular 90's studio tour and scrolled down to read the comments (because I'm a masochist), my mind was blown.

GhaleonEB said:

Get comfy, it's a long one.

This took two months to write. Sort of weird to see it done. Enjoy. :)

Finally got around to reading this. Great job, by the way. You did a great job of describing pretty much exactly how I feel about the Challenges system. Like you said in the end there, it feels like a new system to be used in a future Halo/Bungie game (like Matchmaking, Forge/theater, and Firefight). Can't wait to see how 343i would use it in their first Halo game, same with how Bungie would use it in Destiny/Aerospace/Marathon Pfhor/their MMORPGFPS/SPS.

What I'd like to see would be a goal system you'd set up for yourself, furthering the Challenge system as a way to get meta goals, like Bad Cyborg's scenarios. Instead of having just 4 challenges a day, and a weekly, you'd be able to have 4 of each type of game mode (Multiplayer, Firefight, Campaign) and be able to "subscribe" to whatever you'd want to. I don't really play that much Multiplayer, so I'd focus on the Firefight and Campaign sets. Not to take away from the Reach system, since that'd still be there for everyone, just something like a combination of Challenges and Commendations, if that makes any sense at all.

Reach's challenges is a good version 1.0 of a system, just not fully realized and great yet. They('ve) tried to balance it and not do a Mongoose Mowdown by making players play differently, but they also lost variety and fun in the process due to not letting Firefight or Campaign challenges have things like Dreamcrusher challenges, or something like a Mega Man style boss rush where you have an hour to go from at least one rally point to another in all of the levels, killing one B.O.B. in each.

But really, being more flexible, having a more consistent experience with credit payouts and challenges to go with said credit payouts are what I want to see for Challenge System v2.0

Also, Hire Ghaleon™

Ghaleon, I thought of the perfect transition so you can tell your wisdom teeth story at the end of your campaign.

"That is what I think of Reach's campaign.

Now let me address something that is near and dear to my heart, something that is (gasp!) not Bungie-Halo related. It is the story of the removal of my wisdom teeth. Now, back when I was a young whippersnapper..."

Also, BWU is up. Yay!

Bread

Banned
Sorry I haven't been able to practice with you guys a lot Team 2, I might be on late tonight, and I will be on a lot this weekend.

Oh my god. I want Halo: Armada. Piloting a starship into battle?! Yes please!

Edit: Anybody know what that dude's shirt with the Marathon logo reads?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
Arg. Don't we have a playlist update next week? Was hoping for the Doubles Firefight playlist details.

Week after next. Doubles Firefight is just one of fifteen bullet points. All subject to change at Jeremiah's whim.

:)

Thoughts on the BWU:

- Shot of Wu wearing the Destiny/Seven Seraphs shirt. I just found it interesting that it's switched from eagle-eyed screengrabs of a Penny Arcade vid to posting on the BWU.

- Stosh is leaving breadcrumbs on bungie.net? First I've heard of that, guess I need to dig through the b.net forums.

- Pretty much confirmed we're getting an announcement on Bungie day if Urk's LA visit was related.

Booshka

The Real Napsta said:
That doesn't really mean anything. HCE is still more balanced. In HCE every gun has it's niche.

Rockets beat pistol
Sniper beats pistol long range
shotgun beats pistol close range
AR with BLB and longer melee reach beats pistol up close
PR with freeze beats pistol up close
PP with a fast trigger finger can be deadly
Needler shouldn't be picked up.

That's balance. One go to weapon and weapons that can beat that weapon in their niche.

Halo 2 being balanced is a joke.
Noob combo (no skill, quick kill)
Sword (huge lunge, infinite ammo)
Sniper is way too easy to use (huge hit boxes, lol worthy amounts of aim assist)
BR is also way to easy to use for the same reasons.
tons of garbage weapons that no one good ever picked up.

It is relevant, if you are talking about game balance. Button glitches upset the game balance. Relevant.
Thanks for doing what I was too lazy to do. Once his argument went to "Halo 2 was built with MP in mind, therefore it is more balanced than Halo 1." I just said forget it, kind of feel like this is an argument I would have and have had on the MLG forums, it doesn't feel appropriate here, thanks for the specifics though.

In H2 the only viable secondary is a power weapon (Sword, Rockets, Sniper, PP, and Shotgun on LAN). In Halo 1, Pistol is always a great option, but PR, Shotgun, AR and PP are all viable support weapons with a niche. This works great for Halo games, and to this day Halo 1 has the best utility weapon, and supposedly it was a fluke and the MP was designed in 8 months. Which makes subsequent Halo's MP all the more comical.

Dual-Wielding was a gimmicky, back of the box feature that wasn't balanced and got nerfed in the first Title Update. Then it was thrown aside in Halo 3, then completely and rightfully abandoned in Reach.

Overall the arguments are Intentions vs Results. Despite Bungie's intentions to focus on Halo 2 MP, the results of Halo 1 MP are far more successful and balanced. Even if it was all a "Fluke and mistake thrown together in 8 months." Which I don't believe either.

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
Thoughts on the BWU:

- Shot of Wu wearing the Destiny/Seven Seraphs shirt. I just found it interesting that it's switched from eagle-eyed screengrabs of a Penny Arcade vid to posting on the BWU.

- Stosh is leaving breadcrumbs on bungie.net? First I've heard of that, guess I need to dig through the b.net forums.

- Pretty much confirmed we're getting an announcement on Bungie day if Urk's LA visit was related.
Still kind of confused as to why we are getting the announcement in July and not next month at the biggest industry event.

Top Bottom