• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB

header_s.png

OT1 | OT2 | OT3 | OT4 | OT6 | ForgeGAF Thread | Today's Challenges (Alt. Link) | HaloGAF Gamertags

News & Updates

08/30/11 | 20,000 posts means yet another new OT. Post moar.

08/30/11 | For a hearty round up of HaloFest news, click here.​

Reach Title Update

Click here for the official details (to date) of the upcoming title update.

The TU will be rolled out in late September, to be followed by a series of "Beta Hoppers", to test some of the new settings and changes prior to the launch of Halo Anniversary.​

Halo Reach DLC
Halo: Anniversary Classic Maps: CEA ships with six classic Halo maps, plus a new Firefight map. Here are a bunch of links to videos of these maps (scroll down).

• Multiplayer Maps: Beaver Creek, Damnation, Timberland, Hang em High, Prisoner and one other as yet to be announced.
  • Firefight Map: Installation 04

Defiant Map Pack | Inside Condemned | Inside Unearthed | Inside Highlands | Making-if Video | Trailer | Announcement | Screenshots

Noble Map Pack | FAQ | Trailer | Map Overviews | Developer Commentary Videos | Announcement

Playlist Updates | As of August 2nd, 343 has taken over the playlist management for Reach. When they begin their updates, I will log them here.

Halo Reach 101
Essential guides to various aspects of Reach.

Halo: Reach Project Page
A hub for all Reach content on Bungie.net. Videos, FAQs, Guides, game details, matchmaking playlists, the works.

Welcome to Reach
A round up of resources on Bungie.net at the launch of Reach.

Halo: Reach Support FAQ
A list of common questions and issues - with answers.

Welcome to Noble Team
All about Credits, the Armory and player customization.

Networking 101
A FAQ to networking issues in Reach.

Welcome to The Arena
A detailed guide to Seasons, Ratings, Divisions, etc.

Player Ranks
Guide to Reach's cR system and the Ranks players can achieve.

Unofficial Reach Resources
HBO's Cutscene Library
A collection of the cinematics from Halo: Reach available for download in various formats and resolutions.

HBO's Bungie Weekly Update Archive
A lighter, standards-compliant version of the weekly Updates, with a robust search feature.​

halo_community.png

For posterity: HaloGAF vs. Bungie Humpday Challenge...did not end well for HaloGAF

Forge & Custom Content
Map Design 101, by Chris Carney

Forging Invasion

Comprehensive guides to objectives and spawns

For a video overview on the new Forge, and Forge World, watch this vidoc.

There is a separate thread for Forge sharing and testing, here.

If you are working on maps or gametypes, tag them with the "HaloGAF" key word. We should be able to search for and find all of our community content this way. Or, post it in the ForgeGAF thread above.​

HaloGAF Customs

GAF regularly gets together every Saturday at about 5:00 PM Pacific time (US) to play Reach for hours on end. To join, add some HaloGAFers to your Friend list and join them for customs. Or, watch the thread for who to hook up with.

Halo Community Sites | The Halo community is vast. Here are a few highlights.

HBO
The oldest and biggest Halo fan site on the web, run by one of the nicest (and oldest) people on the internet. If there's news about Halo, HBO will cover it.

Bungie.net forums
A vast community of upstanding and thoughtful commentators.

Tied The Leader
A community, clan and site dedicated to fair play and thoughtful commentary on Halo.

rampancy.net
Another long time Halo fan site, dedicated to unusually in-depth commentary and analysis of the series, as well as news and community creations.

Forward Unto Dawn
In the spirit of Ascendant Justice, FUD is devoted to analysis and commentary on various aspects of the Halo games and universe.

Major League Gaming
An organized league of professional gamers, in which Halo plays a starring role. Forums, league schedules, rules and live streams are available from their site.

Forge Hub
A large community devoted to creating custom maps in Forge. Tutorials, guides and an active forum to provide feedback and testing, as well as an excellent resource for well crafted maps.​

Special Thanks to Louis Wu for web hosting.
footer.png

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
As you slash the sword, your lunge becomes smaller and smaller.
No, the faster you slash, the less accurate your lunge becomes. People will swing the sword and lunge three feet to the right and six feet past their target.

FyreWulff

Mojo said:
I want to dual wield swords so I can lunge at two people at the same time.

SAyiQ.jpg

You're REALLY tempting me to get my OXbox working again so I can actually take a pic of dual wielded swords.

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:
The lastest RvB short shows Caboose and his journey through the Reach campaign: Click here.

It's hilarious. "Touch."
Saw this yesterday and loved it. Lost it at Jorges part. THAT part would make a really good bail out GIF.

OT 5. Goddamn HaloGAF. Props. Keep it up, but remember, you can PLAY the game too. ;)

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:
Saw this yesterday and loved it. Lost it at Jorges part. THAT part would make a really good GIF.

OT 5. Goddamn HaloGAF. Props. Keep it up, but remember, you can PLAY the game too. ;)
Screw playing the game, complaining about it is better! :lol

Speaking of playing, anyone here up for a huge Custom Game party tonight?

I have

Nascar
Spotlight
In Your Base
Rent-a-Car

if you guys also have fun games or zombie maps that is fine too :D

wwm0nkey said:
Screw playing the game, complaining about it is better! :lol

Speaking of playing, anyone here up for a huge Custom Game party tonight?

I have

Nascar
Spotlight
In Your Base
Rent-a-Car

if you guys also have fun games or zombie maps that is fine too :D

If you don't have this, than it can't be called a party at all!

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
What? I got to bed for about 8 hours and you manage to finish off the old one? Damn it moved unusually fast over night.

Oh well here is to OT5.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Title update title update title update oh god please just spill it all over me. This week's 343i Halo Bulletin was nothing but naughty teasing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, awesome thread title. There's definitely been some sinners in past OTs.

And lol @ Frankie. Create Warthog bloom, too. The more you drive the more uncontrollable it becomes.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
omg.kittens said:
Hah, awesome thread title. There's definitely been some sinners in past OTs.

And lol @ Frankie. Create Warthog bloom, too. The more you drive the more uncontrollable it becomes.

I agree. In order to keep it controllable you have to slow down or change drivers every 30 seconds or so. Oh and don't forget the Warthog needs to flip over more. I'm talking like you turn the corner and it should flip 3 or 4 times.

feel

lol people still play Halo?

Anyways, this OT started in a pretty nice note with Oldboy guy pretty much confirming no bloom in Halo 4. Rejoice!!

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Letters said:
lol people still play Halo?

Anyways, this OT started in a pretty nice note with Oldboy guy pretty much confirming no bloom in Halo 4. Rejoice!!

What? did you not read his post. He wants more bloom. He wants it on the sword for the love of god. I mean really on the sword. 343 iz teh phale!!!! Boycott for adding teh sword bloomz!!!!!!!

GhaleonEB said:
No, the faster you slash, the less accurate your lunge becomes. People will swing the sword and lunge three feet to the right and six feet past their target.
I dunno, man. T-Rex arms are quite hilarious.

I now have a strange desire for a photoshop of a Spartan with T-Rex arms. Get on it, HaloGAF!

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
I dunno, man. T-Rex arms are quite hilarious.

I now have a strange desire for a photoshop of a Spartan with T-Rex arms. Get on it, HaloGAF!
I liked the image of two guys with swords sailing past each other over and over.

Tunavi

Banned
Party mode was fun!

Alright OT5, lets do this, I was saving this for you.

My opinion on how Frankie can save us:
Reach
Playlists.
Add Premium Big Team, 8v8 - Highlands, Breakpoint, Condemned, Tempest (with opened tunnels), Boardwalk. Both slayer and Objective.
Squad Slayer use pick-up armor abilities. Hologram and jetpack only (possibly one evade per map).
Arena - Sprint only
Bring back FFA Arena. DMR starts, Sprint only
Premium Slayer – Take out armor lock and Camo.
Team Objective – Take out Evade, Speedflag, 3-flag, and 2 flag slayer. No one really asked for these.
Double Team – Sprint only or AA pickups.
Team Slayer – Make the weighting of community maps MUCH lower. 2 options should be default maps, 3rd option should be a forge map. Take out armor lock and camo.
Invasion (Yeah I play it and I love it lol) – No banshees. Way too dominant, especially on Spire and humans get it easily leaving the elites almost defenseless and easily spawn killed.
Longer weapon/vehicle respawn times.No shotgun/sword in loadouts. It’s impossible to reach the core with everyone wielding shotguns.
Multi-team - Back to six or five teams of two.
Other – Take plasma grenades out of pro variants (turns into a sticky fest, no gunplay). Allow flag juggling (at LEAST in pro variants). For all playlists, make default walking speed a little faster, jumping a little higher.

Maps- Note: these haven’t been playtested, but they are ideas that could improve the weapon placements we have now.
Asylum is completely broken. Sniper spawns should not be on the same sightline among other problems.
Boneyard – Replace Banshee with a falcon. Move rockets to replace tank in the middle.
Uncaged – Remove from matchmaking.
Countdown – Replace shotgun and sword with Grenade launcher and focus rifle respectively.
Reflection – Balance broken initial spawns – Red team gets rockets, shotgun.
Spire – No banshee.
Sword Base – Balance broken initial Spawns. Red team gets all the power weapons with immediate high ground control, Blue team is just stuck at the bottom. Take off shotgun and sword, they only promote camping of the yellow lift.
Tempest – Take rockets out of the bases, (there’s no reason to leave bases so no one uses the warthogs) Put 1 rocket spawn in the middle. Open the tunnels.
Zealot – Needs another power weapon.
Highlands – Rocket replace laser, sniper replace plasma launcher, Remove rockets and sniper at the bases.
Breakpoint – Soft kill zone on the hilltop. Remove laser, put plasma launcher in the small rock tunnel so both teams have a chance at getting it. Remove Wraith.

Title update
Kill Bloom.
Make grenades much weaker. Smaller damage radius.
Option to normalize gravity in Zealot, Anchor 9, and Condemned.
Nerf banshee. Nerf it’s bomb damage and radius. Cooldown for flips.
Add more shots in Magnum clip. If bloom isn’t removed, make its blooms much smaller.
Bleed through melee system.
Remove sword block.
Enable multiple viewers for theater.

Sibylus

Banned
Woops, didn't quite make the jump the first time.

NullPointer said:
Couldn't agree more with that Louis Wu post. I get the feeling from reading here and in a few other places that if the ultra hardcore were truly listened to most of the "fun" of Halo for me would be left on the editing room floor. For my part absolutely everything about Reach is an improvement over Halo 3.

And stop looking at my jetpack like that. Cold dead hands and all that.
By and large I agree with the post you quoted and this post itself, but I also verymuchso agree with this bit I bolded. I'd make it red if I knew how.

If anything needs bloom, it's the Hologram.

The more you use it, the bigger the holo-spartan gets. It also starts walking in whatever random direction it wants to.

Your enemies will feel ashamed when they get tricked by a 20-foot tall Spartan running in circles.

senador

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I just imagined To The Death! with what you just said.

*shudder*

Sword bloom for Halo 4?? After all this time they finally crack the code for a balanced weapon sandbox, thank you 343! *crosses fingers for mobile armor lock*

Sai-kun

Banned
king picollo said:
First time i saw this, i laughed.

Nooby question but why do you need to create a new thread after 20,000 posts?

Otherwise the thread will get too big (See Halo 3 thread: Over 100k posts) and it doesn't archive properly or something.

FyreWulff

I'd be more impressed if 343 gave Halo 3 one final hopper update than anything they could do with Reach, honestly. I want to be convinced they'll give a shit about a game more than a a year after it comes out. Cancelling the Halo Wars site shutdown was a great start, let's see that commitment to previous releases continue.

Also, clear out the Bungie Favorites listing and put Boundless, Epilogue, and Pit Stop on the Maps section of it so people always have easy access to them because they can't be made out of retail Forge.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Sai-kun said:
Otherwise the thread will get too big (See Halo 3 thread: Over 100k posts) and it doesn't archive properly or something.

Yea. Larger threads tend to cause issues. Hence there is the rule for a 20k cap.

GhaleonEB said:
I liked the image of two guys with swords sailing past each other over and over.
K. Let's compromise and put both in for good measure. Lunge range will start off ridiculously long, but the more you use it, the shorter and less accurate it becomes.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
K. Let's compromise and put both in for good measure. Lunge range will start off ridiculously long, but the more you use it, the shorter and less accurate it becomes.
I think we just iterated.

Edit: I can't sign into Bungie.net. When I click the sign in button on the top right corner, I'm redirected back to the front page.

Okay, now I got to the sign in page, and upon signing in, I'm taken to the front page again, where I'm not signed in. WTF.

Top Bottom