• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Sai-kun

Banned
thezerofire said:
man I loved the grav lift. warthog coming at you full speed. loooooool

The perfect grav lift timing and placement made me feel like such a badass. Running up High Ground from the beach, grabbing the grav lift and landing perfectly on the splaser was so rad.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Because maps get fucked over because of it. Goddamn do I love using the Jetpack. It feels so good. But it makes map design irrelevant when you can jetpack everywhere. Remember the grav lift on highground? It let you leap right over the wall to the enemy base. With Jetpack everyone can breach based all the time ololololol.
OK, guess my post needed some kind of tongue-in-cheek emoticon. I definitely understand the gripes.

I just forget all about em when I hear that wonderful jetpack whine and soar to infinity and beyond (*Return to the Battlefield*). Sooo good.

atkvmb.png

(I pretty much make Murray's face there, every time.)

neoism said:
so guys hows about having this thread 99% bitching instead of 101% :p We need to improve.

Um, don't you know? Our bitcharena rating gets reset with every new OT. Only 18,000 more complaints until Onyx!

Some things in Reach that I want to see in Halo 4:

Grenades making my ears ring.
Low-grav!
Needle Rifle
All the new medals
Challenges (enhanced of course)
The Armory
Your location on the map showing up on the screen ("break room" etc)
The new forge features
Super Firefight customizability

I think sometimes we forget how much Reach actually brought to the table. Maybe because it brought the stuff to the table and then it insisted on making us eat Armor Lock and drink slow base speed along with the delicious feast listed above.

Speededit:

Havok said:
Gross. Keep it out of multiplayer please.

Are the low grav areas on the DLC maps considered crappy by HaloGAF? I like them...Zealot is um...problematic to say the least.

Havok

Bregmann Roche said:
Low-grav!
Gross. Keep it out of multiplayer please.
Bregmann Roche said:
Let these be customizable in Forge. No more "I'm in the Canyon. Wait, everywhere is the Canyon. Fuck."

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
Because maps get fucked over because of it. Goddamn do I love using the Jetpack. It feels so good. But it makes map design irrelevant when you can jetpack everywhere. Remember the grav lift on highground? It let you leap right over the wall to the enemy base. With Jetpack everyone can breach based all the time ololololol.

Yup. This is why. That's why I actually hate the jetpack more then armorlock. At least with armorlock you have to actually navigate the map.

Jetpack is awesome, and is by far my favorite AA, but to be honest I think that grav lifts worked better within the sandbox whilst still allowing for some interesting moments.

I love flying around, but I just think the jetpack is too damaging to other areas of the game like map design.

Whoo OT5, im really going to try and cut down my posting now that weve got a fresh start lawl.

feel

Bregmann Roche said:
All the new medals
The new medals are great, but I would like regular melee's to be beat downs, and back smacks to be assassinations again. Current assassinations can be Executions maybe.

And the locations would be better if they had better names I think. And were more specific

thezerofire said:
The new medals are great, but I would like regular melee's to be beat downs, and back smacks to be assassinations again. Current assassinations can be Executions maybe.

And the locations would be better if they had better names I think. And were more specific

All of your words are true. Is it crazy that I want even MORE medals?

There should probably be some additional reward for achieving an objective (capturing a flag, getting a territory, planting up the bomb, finding out what happened to Sketch, etc.).

I don't know if this should take the form of a big cR reward or what, but it would motivate me to play objective more.

Bregmann Roche said:
All of your words are true. Is it crazy that I want even MORE medals?

There should probably be some additional reward for achieving an objective (capturing a flag, getting a territory, planting up the bomb, finding out what happened to Sketch, etc.).

I don't know if this should take the form of a big cR reward or what, but it would motivate me to play objective more.
There should definitely be more cR reward for playing objective. And yeah the medals have spoiled me, I was playing Bad Company 2 last night and I killed a guy from really far away and was like wtf no long distance bonus?

thezerofire said:

The built in map callouts was a great idea (Probably Sage or Josh's idea as they were in Shadowrun), but they could use some improvement in the future. It depends on the map, but on a map such as Zealot they are not very specific at all.

senador

Banned
Oh man, here we go again... I gotta get work done today, so I'm going to try not to participate at all much.

I played some Reach late last night by myself. It sucked. I started in Team Objective, and got worked by parties. The randoms I was with all lone wolfed it. Then went to Team Slayer for a few rounds and rage quit after getting Armor Locked on one too many times, as well as too many Forge maps. Ended up in Squad where I stayed, though I had team killers and quitters. :( Many times its the community that makes me rage.

Can some of you add me? SenadorKooch

Anybody know how the ping/lagometer works? Got in a few games of Firefight last night and while I had a full bar the entire time I could definitely feel the lag. Was kindof swimming a little and it took way too long to switch zoom levels with the rifle.

Is your connection quality in Firefight only as good as the weakest link in the chain? And maybe not so for host?

Steelyuhas said:
The built in map callouts was a great idea (Probably Sage or Josh's idea as they were in Shadowrun), but they could use some improvement in the future. It depends on the map, but on a map such as Zealot they are not very specific at all.
Like in Bad Company 2, Shadowrun had automatic callouts by looking at an enemy and pressing a button, letting everyone on your team know where they are. It would be interesting if Halo had something like this, and it could be turned off for pro/radar-less gametypes where communication is stressed

Havok

NullPointer said:
Anybody know how the ping/lagometer works? Got in a few games of Firefight last night and while I had a full bar the entire time I could definitely feel the lag. Was kindof swimming a little and it took way too long to switch zoom levels with the rifle.

Is your connection quality in Firefight only as good as the weakest link in the chain? And maybe not so for host?
Yeah, you'll get all sorts of input lag in Firefight matchmaking. Just like the campaign netcode, it's synchronous lockstep. It can be really frustrating. Also, make sure you have Clench Protection disabled, just in case.

NullPointer said:

Firefight has been pretty bad for me for the last couple of weeks. Even full bars for a Doubles partner doesn't seem to help, either. Not sure what the problem is, but I can definitely tell a big difference as of late.

thezerofire said:
Like in Bad Company 2, Shadowrun had automatic callouts by looking at an enemy and pressing a button, letting everyone on your team know where they are. It would be interesting if Halo had something like this, and it could be turned off for pro/radar-less gametypes where communication is stressed

It actually does. There are waypoints in Invasion above enemies if you look at them for a few seconds.

What I was speaking about though was just having map locations on the HUD. Universal callouts that anyone can learn just by looking at the screen is great.

Sibylus

Banned
squidhands said:
Armor Abilities would be much less maligned if they weren't available all the time for everyone. The jack-of-all-trades approach to maps and gametypes really needs to stop.

And if anyone who can affect change is listening, please find a way to make AA's pickups in Firefight. I can do well enough to go for a long time without dying, and it would be cool to be able to swap out Sprint for something else without having to suicide.
Letters said:
I only oppose jetpacks because of what they do to the maps. Of course they feel great to use, but I just don't see how they could be implemented without ruining map design.
Bolded: I don't necessarily disagree. While I do like loadouts in games, maps certainly should have loadouts and pickups specifically tailored to them. Jetpacks on Reflection? Yeah, probably not a good idea. Jetpacks on Spire? Fun, and adds a balanced element of play to the map that wouldn't be there otherwise. The air vehicles tend to be a hard counter to every perch a Jetpacker manages to find, and the AA isn't universally useful for every corner of the map. I feel similarly about Paradiso.

So if one was to make a multiplayer map with Jetpacks in mind, it'd probably be best to have similarities to these maps in those regards: large/varied maps with air vehicles, and verticality balanced out by sizable zones where other abilities will tend to be more useful.

Tawpgun

thezerofire said:
I'm all for a shadowrun call out system. It would highlight a general area. It would need a cooldown so it doesn't get spammed. As much as I love stiezer, id probably want it to be visual with a chime of some sort.

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
It actually does. There are waypoints in Invasion above enemies if you look at them for a few seconds.
lol that only means that their partner is trying to spawning on them

Botolf said:
Bolded: I don't necessarily disagree. While I do like loadouts in games, maps certainly should have loadouts and pickups specifically tailored to them. Jetpacks on Reflection? Yeah, probably not a good idea. Jetpacks on Spire? Fun, and adds a balanced element of play to the map that wouldn't be there otherwise. The air vehicles tend to be a hard counter to every perch a Jetpacker manages to find, and the AA isn't universally useful for every corner of the map. I feel similarly about Paradiso.

So if one was to make a multiplayer map with Jetpacks in mind, it'd probably be best to have similarities to these maps in those regards: large/varied maps with air vehicles, and verticality balanced out by sizable zones where other abilities will tend to be more useful.
We're on the same page, you and me. :)

senador said:
Better naming, but they also need to show on death! I don't really remember any of the map callouts since I never look down there until I die...and they disappear.
same here.

senador

Banned
Steelyuhas said:

Better naming, but they also need to show on death! I don't really remember any of the map callouts since I never look down there until I die...and they disappear.

My gripe with the jetpack (other than what it does to map design and the "Return to the battlefield" messages) is that it is horrible to use on Bumper Jumper. I figured after the beta they would adjust it to be something like Red Faction Guerrilla's where tapping jump in the air would activate it. Alas, I just go without it.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
We're on the same page. That's what I meant by my comment. :)
Yup. Reach would benefit enormously by having load outs tailored for the map and game type, rather than the game type and playlist level. Aside from the TU, this is my biggest hope for 343's playlist management style.

Steelyuhas said:
Oh really? You learn something new everyday lol.
Yeah. That another thing Bad Company 2 does well (or not well depending on the situation): it doesn't tell the enemy where you are if someone is spawning on you, and it lets them spawn on you when you're fighting.

Sai-kun

Banned
thezerofire said:
Yeah. That another thing Bad Company 2 does well (or not well depending on the situation): it doesn't tell the enemy where you are if someone is spawning on you, and it lets them spawn on you when you're fighting.

It's only good when your teammate is spawning on you in the middle of a fight, and it sucks when the enemy has someone spawn on them while you're fighting :p

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Reach would benefit enormously by having load outs tailored for the map and game type, rather than the game type and playlist level. Aside from the TU, this is my biggest hope for 343's playlist management style.
They will be frakking heroes if that approach is taken.

senador

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

I would imagine this is something everyone can actually agree on.

Risen

GhaleonEB said:

I second that...

and for Halo 4 perhaps my single biggest hope is for smaller rather than larger maps for 4v4 game play.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/video/mlg-video/1049023053001-finals-team-3d-vs-team-phreaks-mlg-new-york-2005-national-championships

This video of 3D (Final Boss) vs Team Phreaks (Carbon) from 2005 is exactly why there are players who do not want/need Sprint and why people want a reduction in the nade damage. Note how fast the game play is, note how quickly players are shot off spawn, and note how precise pros had to be in order to get nade kills.

The video above is all about the gun, the grenade, and the melee - and winning is predicated on how quickly a team/individual reacts to a situation at hand. But it is all made possible by the map first.

Maps make or break the multi-player experience and are perhaps the single greatest factor in any given match.

krakov

Tunavi said:
Breakpoint – Soft kill zone on the hilltop. Remove laser, put plasma launcher in the small rock tunnel so both teams have a chance at getting it. Remove Wraith.

Late reply, but there is a plasma launcher on each side already. And why remove Wraith? it's not dominant with all the anti-vehicle weapons on the map.

Also: Renova sucks.

Risen said:
I second that...

and for Halo 4 perhaps my single biggest hope is for smaller rather than larger maps for 4v4 game play.

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/video/mlg-video/1049023053001-finals-team-3d-vs-team-phreaks-mlg-new-york-2005-national-championships

This video of 3D (Final Boss) vs Team Phreaks (Carbon) from 2005 is exactly why there are players who do not want/need Sprint and why people want a reduction in the nade damage. Note how fast the game play is, note how quickly players are shot off spawn, and note how precise pros had to be in order to get nade kills.

The video above is all about the gun, the grenade, and the melee - and winning is predicated on how quickly a team/individual reacts to a situation at hand. But it is all made possible by the map first.

Maps make or break the multi-player experience and are perhaps the single greatest factor in any given match.
agreed. also am I the only one who misses the button combos?

Karl2177

senador said:
Yup. It happens in Bro Slayer too. Ugh I hate Bro Slayer.
That's right, I forgot about it in there. Bro Slayer would be decent if it was on larger maps, instead of small. Even then, it needs to have a better system as to not spawn you while your bro is fighting. I remember the beta being better with bro spawning in Invasion, but maybe I'm looking with rose tinted glasses.

Kibbles

Started playing Halo 3 today to prepare for some LANing =)

I'm really looking forward to this title update for Reach, save it 343!

Striker

Risen said:

Exactly why I want no armor abilities or equipment hampering the gameplay experience. You could create spectacular experiences without them. Bungie trying re-inventing the wheel when I found it to be fantastic on its own in Halo 2.

Maps do in fact break or make a game. The single biggest reason for Halo 2's success.

Karl2177 said:
That's right, I forgot about it in there. Bro Slayer would be decent if it was on larger maps, instead of small. Even then, it needs to have a better system as to not spawn you while your bro is fighting. I remember the beta being better with bro spawning in Invasion, but maybe I'm looking with rose tinted glasses.
Bro Slayer stunk in BTB also. The "choose your spawn" scenario doesn't work, or at least in this style of implementation.

And spawning on your teammates usually led to 10-second runoffs.

Kibbles said:
Started playing Halo 3 today to prepare for some LANing =)

I'm really looking forward to this title update for Reach, save it 343!

If Halo 3 had Reach's netcode, then it would be the best game ever.

Also, really looking forward to the TU.

Also also, OT5 is finally here! Can't believe it's here already.

Missed about 5+ pages of the last thread but I am back. (Great discussion by the way)

Loving the thread title Ghaleon.

It's bitter-sweet that OT5 places it's hopes in a radically different team of Halo fans than those who made Reach. The future is crumbling down upon us.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
A27_StarWolf said:
Stay optimistic guys!

believe in your self and anything is possible! May all your wishes come true!

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac118/Deathwish_Zero/ThrowingUpRainbow.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Well, if the alternative is 15,000 posts complaining about said mechanics, I'd prefer optimism.

Risen

thezerofire said:
agreed. also am I the only one who misses the button combos?

For pure competition - I found them wonderful. It's one of the many things that made WATCHING H2 incredible.

I've long thought an FPS with INTENDED button combos would be outstanding - again, for competition's sake. The glitches from H2 meant a guy with the skill could go from trading kills to a triple in the space of 3 heartbeats. Skill/ability was the only limiting factor.

Oh I understand the thoughts of those that think they had no place, and don't begrudge folks that opinion...

But an FPS that borrows from button mashing fighting games would be great fun for me.

Top Bottom