• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Hey You

PsychoRaven said:
Ok I'd be lying if I said i wasn't starting to worry about Bungie. Now Marcus is leaving. I mean serious that's like what? The 4th or 5th high profile departure over the last year or so?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Is something happening at the studio,people are just not liking the game or what?

Somethings gotta be up.

senador

Banned
PooBone said:
Who all is left from the Halo: CE days? Jason Jones, Joe Staten, Rob and Lorraine McLees, and Marty O'Donnell is the only ones I can think of.

I wonder where Marcus is going.

Oh there are still plenty Grizzled Ancients (as far as we know). I don't know which worked on CE, and its possible even some of these dudes have left but here are some:

Tyson Green
Luke Timmins
Curtis Creamer
Adrian Perez
Jay Weinland
Carney
Achronos
Candland
Butchey
Bertone

Full List (Granted this hasn't been updated recently)

GhaleonEB said:
Same. Marcus was the art director for all of the Halo games, and Jaime the sandbox designer for Halo 1-3. Obviously Bungie is a lot more than two people, but it's a tad worrying to me that the leads on the sandbox and art - the two things I love about Halo - have left.

I share this feeling. I have good faith in Bungie though, and they've hired a lot of new talent too. I just hope its not for bad unseen reasons and really just because they needed a change.

FyreWulff

Hey You said:
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Is something happening at the studio,people are just not liking the game or what?

Somethings gotta be up.

He didn't like a game so he stuck around for almost a year after the last one came out to help on the new project?

Sometimes people just want to move on or take time off or try making games in a different way. Every single games company has people leave and join all the time. Bungie is no different.

Honestly I hope its that he's just tired and now is a good time to drop out, but in the last year there's been:

Chad Armstrong (Shishka)

Shishka's left Bungie like 3 times now :lol He came on for Halo 2 as an artist, left to do art for Age of Booty at Certain Affinity, came back and did the Halo 3 sustain work and worked on bootstrapping Reach, left again, and now works at 343 on (presumably) Halo 4. It's called having the freedom to work where you want when you want to.

People can leave a place and not automatically be because they disagree or don't like what they're doing. Sometimes a place gets too familiar. I've left a job because of that.

PooBone

senador said:
Oh there are still plenty Grizzled Ancients (as far as we know). I don't know which worked on CE, and its possible even some of these dudes have left but here are some:

Tyson Green
Luke Timmins
Curtis Creamer
Adrian Perez
Jay Weinland
Carney
Achronos
Candland
Butchey
Bertone

Full List (Granted this hasn't been updated recently)

I share this feeling. I have good faith in Bungie though, and they've hired a lot of new talent too. I just hope its not for bad unseen reasons and really just because they needed a change.

I recognize that several of those came on during Halo 2 or later. I did forget about Chris Butcher though, he worked on a lot of the enemy AI for Halo CE.

I'd really really like to see a list of every 343 employee to see where they've come from, and to see how many former Bungie employees are there. Where did Shishka and Sketch go?

PooBone

It's sad that I don't recognize most of the employees at Bungie anymore, and based on what rumblings we've heard about the next game, it doesn't even sound like something I'd want to play.

I can guarantee, however, that it will make lots of money.

GhaleonEB

PooBone said:
I'd really really like to see a list of every 343 employee to see where they've come from, and to see how many former Bungie employees are there. Where did Shishka and Sketch go?
Shishka is at 343. Sketch is unknown, I assume he took a non-public facing job and wants to keep it that way. (Pretty reasonable, his job was rough.)

feel

PooBone said:
I recognize that several of those came on during Halo 2 or later. I did forget about Chris Butcher though, he worked on a lot of the enemy AI for Halo CE.

Shishka is at 343.

There's a helpful list of 343 employees' names and where they come from. No idea where though, someone else will post it surely.

PsychoRaven said:
Ok I'd be lying if I said i wasn't starting to worry about Bungie. Now Marcus is leaving. I mean serious that's like what? The 4th or 5th high profile departure over the last year or so?
The people who worked hard to achieve success have now attained that, and have fittingly ended their stint. Why not go out on a high note and with some nice money bags to boot?

I probably would haha.

I have the utmost confidence those now gone leaders have chosen excellent replacements.

PooBone

Letters said:
Shishka is at 343.

There's a helpful list of 343 employees' names and where they come from. No idea where though, someone else will post it surely.
Would LOVE to see it but I know they still have some people they haven't unveiled yet, particularly whoever is composing the music for Halo 4.

Hope we see Shiska debuting Forge 3.0 at Comic Con next year. That was so awesome.

MrBig said:
Yeah, makes me concerned about the direction the studios is taking that it would make him want to leave.

The guy has been making games for Bungie for the last twenty years. Maybe he just wanted a break from the madhouse, spend some time with his family.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PooBone said:
Would LOVE to see it but I know they still have some people they haven't unveiled yet, particularly whoever is composing the music for Halo 4.

Hope we see Shiska debuting Forge 3.0 at Comic Con next year. That was so awesome.
343 did mention that the music from the trailer was by Neil Davidge, the composer and producer for the last few Massive Attack albums.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
He didn't like a game so he stuck around for almost a year after the last one came out to help on the new project?

Sometimes people just want to move on or take time off or try making games in a different way. Every single games company has people leave and join all the time. Bungie is no different.

Shishka's left Bungie like 3 times now :lol He came on for Halo 2 as an artist, left to do art for Age of Booty at Certain Affinity, came back and did the Halo 3 sustain work and worked on bootstrapping Reach, left again, and now works at 343 on (presumably) Halo 4. It's called having the freedom to work where you want when you want to.

People can leave a place and not automatically be because they disagree or don't like what they're doing. Sometimes a place gets too familiar. I've left a job because of that.

I'm not wearing my tinfoil hat and trying to say Bungie is going rotten, but it still makes me think. If people are happy in their job, they generally stay, you can't really deny this. Bungie is unique, they have a different atmosphere and style and don't generally have guys going in and out. The Ancients have stuck around for the most part. I wouldn't call this the norm for a place like Bungie that is supposed to be really awesome to work for full of passionate people.

That said, I am leaning towards my first thought that its in between projects and now is a good time to bounce before getting sucked into the next big thing.

OuterWorldVoice said:
343 did mention that the music from the trailer was by Neil Davidge, the composer and producer for the last few Massive Attack albums.
Has the composer for Halo 4 been chosen?

Can you use the guys who composed the music in Origins Part 2? That was simply THE best orchestration of Halo music I've ever heard. They have my vote!!

I tried doing one a while ago, but its bloody hard and apart from twitter I didn't know where to look, but here's as far as i got.

Now edited with Hypertrooper's and Plywood's additions

Design:
- Scott Warner @scott_343
- Jesse Snyder - (former Call of Duty lead designer, creator of Nazi Zombies) @thejessesnyder
- Jason Behr (Metriod 1/2)
- Chris Haluke (Design Lead on Killzone 3)
- Dan Callan @danjamin
- Paul Parsons @paul_par
- M.E. Chung @lizmechung
- Kevin Franklin @kevin_franklin
- Paul Ehreth (Shadowrun)
- Kendall Deacon Davis
- Jonathan Schwartz (UI Design)
- Chris King (Volition)
- Kynan Pearson
- Chad Armstrong - Shishka (apparently he's doing the Achievements and Terminals in CEA -yeah i wrote that around e3 time, and i can't remember where i read that)

Art and Animation:
-Ryan Payton (Metal Gear Solid 4) @ryanpayton
- Vic Deleon (Halo: Reach) @vicdeleon
- Paul Pepera (Doom 4)
- Donnie Taylor (ex-Bungie contract)
- Wei Wiharjo Chen (The Saboteur)
- Jonathan Wood (EA Tiburon)
- Johnny van Zelm (Sony Online Entertainment)
- Mike Murrill (Naughty Dog)
- Daveed Kaplan
- Will Christiansen (contract, ex-Bungie contract)
- Tim Diaz (God of War 3)
- Chris Buckley The_DrMouse (Graphic Designer)

Producers:
- Dan Ayoub @Danayoub (Executive Producer)
- Gavin Carter (Fallout 3, TES: Oblivion) @gavinc343
- Veronica Peshterianu (The Sims 2)
- Corrinne Robinson
- Alex Cutting
- Che Chou (Forza 3) @chespace

Engineering:
- Joe Waters (Shadowrun)
- Matt Brown (Bioshock 2)
- Peter Kugler (Microsoft SDET)
- Zhi Min Chen (KAOS)
- Corrinne Yu (Gearbox)

AudioVisual:
- Cinematic Director: Brien Goodrich (Forza)
- Composer: Neil Davidge (Massive Attack)
- Audio Director: Sotaro Tojima (Metal Gear Solid 4)
- Schlerf @schlerf (Writer)

Community:
- David Ellis - @davidellis
- Jessica Shea (Community Manager) @bsangel
- Jacob Benton (Content Producer) @cocopjojo
- Mr. Vociferous

High up shizz:
- Nick Dimitrov (Group Manager - Business Strategy and Development)
- Frank O'Connor (Francise Development Director)

Unknown:
Nicole Makila @nicolemakila (???)
Andy Luedke @Frantic343 (???)
Verohime
Twismarch

GhaleonEB

senador said:
I'm not wearing my tinfoil hat and trying to say Bungie is going rotten, but it still makes me think. If people are happy in their job, they generally stay, you can't really deny this. Bungie is unique, they have a different atmosphere and style and don't generally have guys going in and out. The Ancients have stuck around for the most part. I wouldn't call this the norm for a place like Bungie that is supposed to be really awesome to work for full of passionate people.

That said, I am leaning towards my first thought that its in between projects and now is a good time to bounce before getting sucked into the next big thing.
At the same time, it's natural for people to want to do something different. Marcus went from art guy to overseeing the entire art team to being the project director (not sure if that was the exact title) in Reach. Since the next project was already a few years into development when he finished, his next role would be very different and a step down in terms of scope - and perhaps he wanted something new. That would be the simple (and least worrying) explanation. Where he ends up next will tell the story.

I try not to read too much into the departures, but they are adding up.

Major Williams said:
Has the composer for Halo 4 been chosen?

Can you use the guys who composed the music in Origins Part 2? That was simply THE best orchestration of Halo music I've ever heard. They have my vote!!
75% of the Halo: Legends music is composed by Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
At the same time, it's natural for people to want to do something different. Marcus went from art guy to overseeing the entire art team to being the project director (not sure if that was the exact title) in Reach. Since the next project was already a few years into development when he finished, his next role would be very different - and perhaps he wanted something new. That would be the simple (and least worrying) explanation. Where he ends up next will tell the story.

That and we're out of the era where people work with one company until they die or retire, even if they like the place they work at.

kylej

Banned
ChenK said:
Art and Animation:

This dude is at 343? And he's an artist? I remember listening to his Metal Gear podcasts many moons ago before MGS4 launched. Seemed like a chill guy.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Just curious but is there any chance of the Waypoint site being updated? I like current main page but other parts of the site don't seem as polished. Additionally some things seem missing, like maybe a "Meet the Staff" page? Also, I don't think I am alone in saying that I would like to see the forums split up by games and then an Playlist management forum. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if you all are already working on getting the site ready for teh August 2nd transition.

ChenK said:
I tried doing one a while ago, but its bloody hard and apart from twitter I didn't know where to look, but here's as far as i got.

Design:
- Scott Warner @scott_343
- Jesse Snyder - (former Call of Duty lead designer, creator of Nazi Zombies) @thejessesnyder
- Jason Behr (Metriod 1/2)
- Chris Haluke (Design Lead on Killzone 3)
- Dan Callan @danjamin
- Paul Parsons @paul_par
- M.E. Chung @lizmechung
- Kevin Franklin @kevin_franklin
- Paul Ehreth (Shadowrun)
- Kendall Deacon Davis
- Jonathan Schwartz (UI Design)
- Chris King (Volition)
- Kynan Pearson
- Chad Armstrong - Shishka (apparently he's doing the Achievements and Terminals in CEA -yeah i wrote that around e3 time, and i can't remember where i read that)

Art and Animation:
- Vic Deleon (Halo: Reach) @vicdeleon
- Paul Pepera (Doom 4)
- Donnie Taylor (ex-Bungie contract)
- Wei Wiharjo Chen (The Saboteur)
- Jonathan Wood (EA Tiburon)
- Johnny van Zelm (Sony Online Entertainment)
- Mike Murrill (Naughty Dog)
- Daveed Kaplan
- Will Christiansen (contract, ex-Bungie contract)
- Tim Diaz (God of War 3)

Producers:
- Gavin Carter (Fallout 3, TES: Oblivion) @gavinc343
- Veronica Peshterianu (The Sims 2)
- Corrinne Robinson
- Alex Cutting

Engineering:
- Joe Waters (Shadowrun)
- Matt Brown (Bioshock 2)
- Peter Kugler (Microsoft SDET)
- Zhi Min Chen (KAOS)

AudioVisual:
- Cinematic Director: Brien Goodrich (Forza)
- Composer: Neil Davidge (Massive Attack)
- Audio Director: Sotaro Tojima (Metal Gear Solid 4)

Community:
- David Ellis - @davidellis
- Jessica Shea (Community Manager) @bsangel
- Jacob Benton (Content Producer) @cocopjojo
- Che Chou (Forza 3) @chespace

High up shizz:
- Nick Dimitrov (Group Manager - Business Strategy and Development)
- Frank O'Connor (Francise Development Director)
Some other dudes, who work at 343i:
Nicole Makila @nicolemakila (???)
Andy Luedke @Frantic343 (???)
You don't have the charming guy Dan Ayoub in your list:
Dan Ayoub @Danayoub (Executive Producer)
Schlerf @schlerf (Writer)
Chris Buckley The_DrMouse (Graphic Designer)
Verohime
Twismarch

And Mr. Vociferous and Cocopjojo.

I suspect Marcus just moved on for his own reasons not because of anything specific to where Bungie is heading.

Even people who are dating super models decide to move on. Some folks just want a change to freshen things up.

Halo Gameplay Content: Yesterday was a bad day of Reach for me. LOTS of quitters. Is there some challenge/world event that is the root of the quitting epidemic?

Stinkles

Che is not doing community. He is a muckety muck and a producer now.

The Legends music is great because Marty and mike Salvatore did the original compositions. All we did was reorchestrate and pay for a more expensive orchestra. This is the approach we are taking with Anniversary too, only we are spending even more money and using Skywalker sound. So when it sounds incredible, which it does, that is also because of Marty's epicness.

The Bungie stuff is just normal churn. Frankly in a company that size and that age, it's a testament to what a great outfit it is that so few people do turnaround.

We will unveil some more of our staff and leads at halo fest for the curious.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

Everybody who steps away is a loss. Marcus is extraordinarily humble and his contributions to Halo have always been understated as a result. That said, it took an army of talented people to ship Halo: Reach, and I can count the departures, post-ship, on one hand. It's not uncommon for developers to transition after shipping a major project, but Bungie's done a remarkable job keeping people rooted at the studio. There is free Peanut Butter Twix, after all.

ChenK said:
I fired up the Halo 1 credits, and these names ring a bell as those who have stuck around at Bungie, although I may be wrong:

If you count Pete Parsons and Mike Salvatori (and you certainly should, Pete's chest hair should count as a sentient being in and of itself), 32 of the people in the Halo: CE credits still shuffle around these halls, wholly incapable of tearing themselves free of the Bungie teat.

MrBig

urk said:
Everybody who steps away is a loss. Marcus is extraordinarily humble and his contributions to Halo have always been understated as a result. That said, it took an army of talented people to ship Halo: Reach, and I can count the departures, post-ship, on one hand. It's not uncommon for developers to transition after shipping a major project, but Bungie's done a remarkable job keeping people rooted at the studio. There is free Peanut Butter Twix, after all.

If you count Pete Parsons and Mike Salvatori (and you certainly should, Pete's chest hair should count as a sentient being in and of itself), 32 of the people in the Halo: CE credits still shuffle around these halls, wholly incapable of tearing themselves free of the Bungie teat.
boner.png

Urk, have the steaks been shipped? I'm moving in two weeks, and I don't want the next tenants to open up the mailbox to a pungent surprise.

urk said:
32 of the people in the Halo: CE credits still shuffle around these halls, wholly incapable of tearing themselves free of the Bungie teat.

Why do you have to boil everything down to some kind of crude barnyard metaphor?

Good to hear that your company-wide DNA hasn't changed that much since CE. Though I suspect that, as a whole, it is both paler and red-headier than ever.

PooBone

OuterWorldVoice said:
I knew that, but I'm also sure that I read he wasn't doing the Halo 4 music.... is that correct?

EDIT: It is being done by some "God out of left field."

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Hitmonchan107 said:
Urk, have the steaks been shipped? I'm moving in two weeks, and I don't want the next tenants to open up the mailbox to a pungent surprise.

They're being shipping in batches, but I believe everyone who sent me good data should have steak en route in the next couple of days.

senador

Banned
urk said:

<3

Thanks for clearing it up a bit. I didn't actually think anything was wrong at Bungie, just got curious seeing long-timers leaving. Its still sad to see them leave. I wish Marcus the best, and Brian and Jamie for that matter.

ChenK said:
Hold on, Twix with peanut butter? What does this strange concoction taste like??

PB Twix is probably better than the original. Mmmm.

feel

urk said:

time to resurrect marcurk one last time
2ynoyno.jpg

for no specific reason

urk said:
There is free Peanut Butter Twix, after all.
GhaleonEB said:
Any openings for a mid-level cost analyst?
How about openings for people that just want to eat the candy and not do any actual work?

Hitmonchan107 said:
Yeah, I didn't even think of this when I set my address for the steaks. I'm moving at the end of this week, and then I'm immediately taking off once a move for a little two week break at my parents house. I guess I just assumed we'd have steaks by now.

I mean I did steak Bungie HARD, real hard :p

urk said:
They're being shipping in batches, but I believe everyone who sent me good data should have steak en route in the next couple of days.

Aye, thanks.

Finished reading Halo Cryptum, and posting here as the Cryptum thread seems a little underpopulated.

I read the terminals page on Halo Wikia, something in the Halo 3 terminals discusses how Mendicant Bias spent 43 years with the Gravemind on a Halo ring, that seems to match the 43 year timespan mentioned explicitly in the book. I really hope the Precursur wasnt Gravemind. As we have already dealt with him, and he just wasnt epic enough to be Precursor! I (hopefully) doubt they would go down that route as im sure they want to explore the precursors in the next Halo trilogy. :p

That said im pretty mindblown and confused between all the Halo fiction, I guess I gotta wait and see how it plays out. Cant wait for the next book! As other have said this has truly thrown the fiction wide open, and now there are so many cool areas to explore in Halo games that 343 can have a field day.

I must say I also agree with the posts in the cryptum thread, the book was a bit 'alien' and hard to follow, but I think the 'alien' structure of the book helps keep the Forerunners slightly mysterious, there are elements of the book I dont understand and im not sure whether thats by design or just bad writing. Either way I kinda liked that aspect. Odd I know!

Im conflicted, there are aspects of the Forerunners that just dont 'fit', and there are things that im not sure are explained. (Like why the hell are all the forerunner buildings so large!
Was it for the sphinxes? Are the sphinxes much larger than the forerunners? What exactly are the sphinxes, are they vehicles, war machines?)
Generally though im quite happy to enjoy the ride.

urk said:
Awesome. That'll make my "F*** you, apartment complex" party all the meatier.

PooBone

Major Williams said:

There's a pretty big difference between composing music (ala Marty O'Donnell) and orchestrating/remixing music (ala all of Halo: Legends)

Kinda makes me wanna throw up in my mouth typing this. Halo: Legends is an abortion in my eyes.

MrBig

urk said:
Were we supposed to have included a link to the game in the PM? I included all the other information.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
Any openings for a mid-level cost analyst?

Q. How would you analyze the NPV of the individual cash flow required to sustain the "free candy" benefit at Bungie over the last twenty years? What data would you require and how would you calculate worth?

Stinkles

PooBone said:
T

Kinda makes me wanna throw up in my mouth typing this. Halo: Legends is an abortion in my eyes.

Yeah I know. You've typed that before. I have to say though, that's a very unusual opinion and a bit weird. Most people like or love the reorchestration. But it's your opinion and you are 100% entitled to it. I just find it a bit perplexing.

A link to an example for the curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QKvFYQaOkw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder if you'll like the Skywalker recordings. Totally different people, but still, a reorchestration and re-recording. Much more literal in terms of timing and cadence to match the game.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah seriously, what is that crazy Milky Way packaging?!

Also, just instantly developed a craving for Milky Way.

nomnomnom
It's the UK one, so I guess it makes sense.

Better question, why would you settle for Milky Way with all the other incredible deliciousness you have over there?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
MrBig said:
Were we supposed to have included a link to the game in the PM? I included all the other information.

Nope, through the magics of Bungie.net we have a list of winners that we cross-reference against the linked LIVE gamertags for authentication purposes.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ChenK said:

Now edited with Hypertroopers additions

-snip
343 Super Team indeed.

edit: No Corrine Yu on list?

According to wiki: Halo Lead, Principal Engine Programmer

Top Bottom