• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

MrBig

From memory, the menu looks accurate to what we have seen so far of the menu styling.
If it's real there are less skulls than H3/R, and you have to find them to enable them like you did in H3.

I'm always wary though, because if someone has the ability to take a picture of these things they would want to get the best shot possible; when they are angled, compressed, and blurred like this they usually end up being exposed as fake.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
From memory, the menu looks accurate to what we have seen so far of the menu styling.
If it's real there are less skulls than H3/R, and you have to find them to enable them like you did in H3.
I missed this so much, finding skulls was amazing in Halo 3.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I just mean that we will talk about them in depth, rather than have some list. We are looking at how we make those things playable and obvious at Halo Fest. Some of them would be pretty obvious, and players would be all, 'I get it, I will ask questions about it at the panel.' Some of them might be too subtle to notice or appreciate in a ten minute Team Slayer game.

The guys who implemented these changes really did some kick ass work.

As the changes roll out, some of them will prove more popular than others, so it will be a while before you'll see the changes settle into broad playlist changes across Reach. But we will certainly be pretty aggressive about rolling them out in 'classic'playlists. If soe,thing is just universally loved immediately, then it can be quickly rolled into regular Reach gameplay. One feature in particular, I think, will be pushed put and embraced fairly quickly.

Bolded sounds super hot, even with the typo!

OuterWorldVoice said:
iPad autocomplete FTP. [sic]

Passing off the blame...I call USER ERROR! :p

Mojo said:
Hemorrhage is in Premium Battle?? Is there no escape to this map

I believe the premium playlist's have all the maps in them, but the DLC ones are weighted much much higher than the disc maps.

Tawpgun

Phew. Halofest Machinima is done and uploaded and is now waiting approval. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it yet, so I'll hold off for now.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
Phew. Halofest Machinima is done and uploaded and is now waiting approval. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it yet, so I'll hold off for now.
Why wouldn't you be allowed to post it? I want to see how terrible my tank driving skills are
I wish tread movement was separate from camera rotation like it used to be

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tempest needs to pop up way more in Premium Slayer. Love that map so much.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I was just about to pester you on this. POST IT.

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Agreed, I would say Tempest is the best Halo: Reach map.
remiq.net_16562.jpg

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
I think so as well, and by a good margin. I remain very disappointed by Highlands. The base design is exceptionally poor. The flag location provides no disincentive for defenders not to camp it, and much of the base - the c-shaped platform - goes unused.

FyreWulff said:
DLC that unlocks achievements can never be made free, which is MS policy. And has no hint of ever changing currently.

I also always thought it was stupid that an artificial award is artificially limited :lol So stupid that developers are limited to like, 3-4 achievements with each DLC because of the 250 GS limit per DLC release. Whereas on Steam you can just add however many achievements you want post-launch. Because there isn't a 'score limit' imposed by the platform holder..
Never thought about that. Ok, how about a multiplayer disc included with Halo:CEA in the same vein as the ODST package.
Included would be:
-Reach multiplayer
-2 released map packs
-Halo 1 maps
-Plus perhaps the third upcoming map pack which will have a limited exclusive window similar to ODST before being available for download.

Ramirez

Tempest is so god awful, so much wasted space for campers to run to with their DMR/Sniper and hide behind some obscure rock or bush. Not to mention the objective spawns are horrendous. Powerhouse is the only map I'll miss from Reach, and even it's pretty mediocre when compared to past Halo classics...

edit: Tempest is quite possibly the worst terrain ever for vehicles as well, at least with Reach's vehicles.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:

It's definitely one of my favorites, and a pretty solid Valhalla spiritual successor:

1) instead of the middle area being a hill above the other bases, it is now a valley between two cliffs. It is much more dangerous to stay in the middle.

2) the landings are now not killing floors

3) the side cannons have to be walked to a bit more than valhalla's, so objective runners actually have to make a choice

4) the caves were moved up closer to the base to make them more viable as a route option when leaving, but are not a win button

5) the "horizon" of the map is now side-to-side instead of front-to-back, so snipers can't sit on one side of Tempest and snipe across all 3 paths from one spot. If they want to be Omnisnipe they have to expose themselves closer to the top middle.

only thing I don't like / get about it is the two turrets facing each other across the middle. I would probably move them or delete them, there is almost no incentive to actually staying on one for infinite ammo without ripping it off the stand.

edit: also don't like Bungie's decision to make the Slayer spawns side-locked in a later update. That slowed down the map in Slayer way too much, the map is not big enough for sided spawns and results in spawn camps quite a few times. 343 made the same mistake with Highlands and locking the sides to teams.

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:
I was just about to pester you on this. POST IT.
Because its still "awaiting approval." Could be nothing. I'd rather not risk it.

Ramirez said:
Tempest is so god awful, so much wasted space for campers to run to with their DMR/Sniper and hide behind some obscure rock or bush. Not to mention the objective spawns are horrendous. Powerhouse is the only map I'll miss from Reach, and even it's pretty mediocre when compared to past Halo classics...

edit: Tempest is quite possibly the worst terrain ever for vehicles as well, at least with Reach's vehicles.

Tempest 4 v 4 is terrible the map is too big and the spawns get messed up with that little people. Once you go 6 v 6 it isn't bad, but like you said, vehicle movement is terrible. and Objective is a bit annoying because of how the spawns work. You could be in their base and they will literally spawn down low next to the flag.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think Tempest is my favorite map, too. Definitely my favorite BTB (or MediumTB, at least) map. It offers some decent vehicle combat, a rare treat in Reach if you refuse to go into the BTB or Invasion hoppers. I prefer being on foot, but sometimes teaming up with your homie and plowing down people with a Warthog hits the spot.

I really wish Reach had more medium sized maps with vehicles... Or better large maps.

Striker

Let's be honest, you can put most skirmish/objective based maps out there and there will be some problem, either with spawning or flag/marker placement. Standoff is one map I put in the same category with Tempest in that it's relatively large for 4v4, and way too cramped for 8v8. It is a solid map for 6v6 though. However, Standoff also had multitudes of problems, also with spawns. One major thing I don't like about Tempest is Snipers, which weren't necessary.

Bad spawning has been in this series since day one. It's usually magnified in Objective based games; see Valhalla and its horrendous pelican spawns.

*rushes base, kils enemies*
*grabs flag, rushes front man-cannon*
*enemies spawn by pelican*

6PJ3G.jpg

so MLG Anaheim was really fun. Instinct didn't disappoint, and both times I've rooted for Pistola at Anaheim he's won. Woo.

wwm0nkey said:
Well guys, today is the last day Bungie has Halo: Reach.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
wwm0nkey said:
I still don't understand the full details of this. Are we talking purely playlist management, or is there more to it?
PsychoRaven said:
Nope. From tomorrow on it's entirely in 343's hands now. Bungie will now just be fans of the game and universe they created.
Right... But does that entail anything more than playlist management and the TU? There's not more to it, right? Online stat tracking?

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
wwm0nkey said:

Don't remind me. I'm sad but at the same time it's kind of exciting. Now we'll see how someone who isn't Bungie will butcher....errrrr....maintain our favorite franchise.

Just kidding 343 you won't butcher it. At least intentionally. lol

omg.kittens said:
I still don't understand the full details of this. Are we talking purely playlist management, or is there more to it?

Nope. From tomorrow on it's entirely in 343's hands now. Bungie will now just be fans of the game and universe they created.

Ramirez

Tunavi said:
Team Objective
3 competent teammates
OM NOM NOM

*Other team quits out before match starts, nothing to om nom*

I remember when this would have extremely bummed me out.

I simply cannot wait for the TU, really hope it brings the goods...

GG Bread.

Striker said:
Those maps bring back so many good memories. And ranked BTB was the only way to play against players who took it seriously. I got to around 30 before the playlist was removed. I was pissed. From that point on, BTB has just been a place for randoms and yo yo's to jump in and screw around. Competition doesn't exist. Don't like a game? Quit out, it's cool. That's BTB in its current state without a system that allows the people who take it more seriously to out-level the clowns. Oh yeah and the maps suck.

Kibbles

The Noble Map Pack is 400pts still right? And you can buy exactly 400 points too right? I'll have to get it tomorrow, been wanting to play Tempest and Breakpoint. I'm in bed right now >.>

OuterWorldVoice said:
I just mean that we will talk about them in depth, rather than have some list. We are looking at how we make those things playable and obvious at Halo Fest. Some of them would be pretty obvious, and players would be all, 'I get it, I will ask questions about it at the panel.' Some of them might be too subtle to notice or appreciate in a ten minute Team Slayer game.

As the changes roll out, some of them will prove more popular than others, so it will be a while before you'll see the changes settle into broad playlist changes across Reach. But we will certainly be pretty aggressive about rolling them out in 'classic'playlists. If soe,thing is just universally loved immediately, then it can be quickly rolled into regular Reach gameplay. One feature in particular, I think, will be pushed put and embraced fairly quickly.
Bold 1:What would be more obvious than your reticle not freaking out each time you shoot? :/

Bold 2:My bet is on Halo 2/3 health regeneration.

Gabotron ES said:
Bold 2:My bet is on Halo 2/3 health regeneration.
Are the changes supposed to make it more like CE or are the changes going to be bits and pieces of the previous three Halos that were well liked?

Deputy Moonman said:
Are the changes supposed to make it more like CE or are the changes going to be bits and pieces of the previous three Halos that were well liked?
Bits and pieces of the previous three Halos, bs angel already comfirmed an option to turn off fall damage.

OuterWorldVoice said:

does that mean that you are going to deploy the TU before the halo fest? °O°
edit. ok got it, you're talking about people playing the game there at the halo fest ç_ç me sad now

Kuroyume

Banned
Mojo said:
Not as good as Reach:

Well, you're missing Breakpoint, but that said wow... That's really says a lot about BTB in Reach. Even the non Forge maps were so obviously made for Invasion so it's like the game didn't ship with any non Forge maps made specifically for BTB. Btw, just look at how ugly Hemmorhage is compared to Coag in Striker's post. That ugly Valhalla color scheme in Forge World (and Tempest) is the worst. I really don't like it. With the exception of Breakpoint the other non Forge maps are pretty damn ugly too. Boneyard looks like something straight out of Red Faction except that in that game it's alright because you can destroy shit. In Reach the ugliness sits there.

Kuroyume said:
Well, you're missing Breakpoint, but that said wow... That's really says a lot about BTB in Reach. Even the non Forge maps were so obviously made for Invasion so it's like the game didn't ship with any non Forge maps made specifically for BTB. Btw, just look at how ugly Hemmorhage is compared to Coag in Striker's post. That ugly Valhalla color scheme in Forge World (and Tempest) is the worst. I really don't like it. With the exception of Breakpoint the other non Forge maps are pretty damn ugly too. Boneyard looks like something straight out of Red Faction except that in that game it's alright because you can destroy shit. In Reach the ugliness sits there.
I'm pretty sure he's at least partially joking. I mean he used the same thumb 4 times in the Reach screens. Also, 3 of the pictured Halo 2 maps were DLC, while Breakpoint and Highlands were left out. I think the biggest issue with Reach's BTB, as some have already expounded upon, is that some of the maps were designed primarily for Invasion.

Top Bottom