• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

CyReN

Risen said:
Nice vid... as much as I'm pumped for new maps and the potential of the TU, I never thought Damnation was a good 4v4 map, which saddens me. I thought it felt a ton better in a 2v2. Initial spawns are going to be interesting...

It was a bit of a cluster fuck in Halo 1, 2v2 > anything in h1 though.

wwm0nkey

I know this would be kind of useless to include in the Title Update, but I wonder if they could change the voice codec to the newer one for in-game chat.

Damnation looks beautiful, but I'm unsure on how it will play in 4v4. 2v2 looks like the sweet spot for gameplay, even with those wretched jetpacks ruining the map. I'm really looking forward to the TU, as it will most likely be the only thing to pull me away from FF/Co-op Campaign.

MrBig

Tha Robbertster said:
You can see a grunt or something like that falling down the waterfall around 1.50 . Pretty cool easter egg.
It's certainly not a grunt. Looks to be someone who jetpacked up into the killzone and got killed. You can clearly see it is a spartan when he gets down to the reservoir.
lybertyboy said:
Like I said before IGN will have a proper flythrough video this week. Also expect more info about the map variants in Anniversary in this week's Bulletin.
I'm still not sure on this. Is the bulletin Tuesdays or Wednesdays?

Beaver Creek is looking really good!

CyReN said:
They added stuff they shouldn't have to Beaver Creek:/

(lifts, back of the base tunnels etc)

I think it was lybertyboy that said a while ago that there will be different variants for each map. One for vanilla Reach, one for "Classic" settings.

CyReN said:
They added stuff they shouldn't have to Beaver Creek:/

(lifts, back of the base tunnels etc)
There are no lifts and new tunnels in the Classic version. And I think the addition are good.

lybertyboy said:
So much for the concept of B-Roll. /sigh

Like I said before IGN will have a proper flythrough video this week. Also expect more info about the map variants in Anniversary in this week's Bulletin.
Will we maybe get a new Sparkast before HaloFest? I don't think so, because you have to prepare the HaloFest. But a man can dream.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
I can't even fathom playing that much Reach this early into its life. Pretty sure Nutter has his wife running FF in his down time :)P), I just hit the full moon, and it'll probably be a month or so before I rank up again...

I don't know why you're chastising someone for playing a lot of One of The Greatest FPS Games of All Time.

MrBig said:
It's certainly not a grunt. Looks to be someone who jetpacked up into the killzone and got killed. You can clearly see it is a spartan when he gets down to the reservoir.
It may not be a grunt, but it's definitely not a player. It's some type of timed aesthetic addition to the map. You can see it, whatever it is, fall multiple times throughout the video, and always with the center waterfall.

16ljszq.jpg

I have zero hype for the damnation remake, a waste of an anniversary map slot imo. Beaver Creek on the other hand looks plush and ripe for war. Seriously amazing work by the artists on that map.

I'm in the camp that welcomes changes to the maps for vanilla Reach. Beaver Creek is too small for sprint/evade/jetpack et al to co-exist on without some enlargement to the map. It goes without saying that they should have a 1:1 fidelity when it comes to the classic version.

Here's hoping for that Prisoner remake.

Deputy Moonman said:
It may not be a grunt, but it's definitely not a player. It's some type of timed aesthetic addition to the map. You can see it, whatever it is, fall multiple times throughout the video, and always with the center waterfall.
It looked like a rock to me. But I could see it being a bit of Flood as an easter egg.

MrBig

Gui_PT said:
Please

So many mammaries.
There's a really good, even perfect remake of Rat Race in MM already.

Shame Damnation and then praise Prisoner? They were both junk. Prisoner was fun for rocket shenanigans and then Damnation was ok for 2v2.

Eye Drop said:
BC is so dark :(
One side of the map is in shadow. There is plenty of light.

Deputy Moonman said:

This, and I thought damnation was described in CE as a Covenant spa.

BEAUTIFUL.

Damnation
- Looks like the tall ladder has been replaced by a grav lift (not surprising).
- It's hard to tell, but short ladder looks like it is just a ramp now.
- New grav lift at the bottom room shortcuts the really tall ramp (I assume it is deleted for the Classic version).
- This map looks GORGEOUS.

Battle Creek
- The teleporter room looks great. Health pack in there, seems like it will make the map feel reasonably bigger. I think it's going to play wonderfully.
- I wonder if the grav lift on the base is there to help offset the jetpack advantage?
- Is there a stone recess in the wall you can delete beneath the rock ramp to rockets? Maybe I'm just seeing things.
- You catch a brief glimpse of the Classic variant with the teleporter where it used to be.
- This map looks GORGEOUS.

lybertyboy said:
So much for the concept of B-Roll. /sigh
Maybe they got confused when this B-Roll looks better than most games' A-Roll.

The rocks, waterfalls, and pipes on Damnation were giving me a very strong Waterworks vibe from Halo2. Also, this is sort of what I see falling in the background, , but from head on so that all you see are the outstretched arms and the triangular back. Who knows, lol. Maybe it's a naked Cortana that keeps getting dropped down the waterfall by Guilty Spark. And, yes, even I was impressed with the graphical overhaul of beaver creek. Very lush and inviting.
830px-Halo3_121728848_Medium.jpg

Sordid

My Swag Bag and tshirt/posters finally arrived in Scotland! Happy days, right? Well... except for the £52 (~$85) customs charge :*(

I got a Halo Reach guide, Halo 3 Hayabusa Wal-Mart figure, a wee Warthog toy, 2 ripped posters and some stickers. I'm happy to have contributed to the charity but after that customs charge I can't help feeling a bit underwhelmed. Ah well, thems the breaks I guess. At least the Burn Bright, Burn Blue t-shirt is pretty sweet (and it fits like a glove!)

Edit: Oh shit the new remakes look awesome. I hope they play as good as they look though

Gui_PT said:
As cool as that map was for LANs, it'd never work on MM (imo)
I was kidding, you're right. :lol

I want goddamn Waterworks. Or I dunno, Relic.

I'm going to be pan-camming it up in those maps, though. It's a sad day when I realize that what's outside the map is oftentimes more interesting to me than what's inside. :lol

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
There's a really good, even perfect remake of Rat Race in MM already.
This is how I feel as well. I'd rather have a slew of new maps that aren't possible to remake in Forge World (accurately) like Terminal, Waterworks and Headlong than a bunch of small maps that can be remade. Yeah, I get it.. no one likes the sea of grey objects... but at least the maps are possible to be remade pretty accurately. Without some of these bigger maps being remade in the studio, we'll never get to see them in MM.

MrBig said:
If Bloom is removed it is gametype dependent, and these aren't classic gametypes.

Ah, I was replying to the earlier speculation of bloom removal from the Damnation video (which has armor abilities).

Top Bottom