• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Thermite

Trasher said:
Went through an old yearbook and thought this was fitting to post in OT6 with its title:
732741753_photobucket_67311_-1.jpg

I HAVE NO SHAME

Pretty sure this is the greatest thing ever. LMAO

Willeth said:
Anyone else's challenges get reset? Just had to run the weekly again.
Mine is still showing completed.

On the topic of challenges, I wish they would separate Firefight and MP challenges and have some of each every day. Days like today upset me, I have no interest in Firefight but that is all of the challenges being offered today :\

FyreWulff

BigShow36 said:
You're lamenting the loss of an artificial equalizer in a competitive environment just because you want some players to kill other players they otherwise wouldn't? Doesn't that cheapen the experience? Wouldn't it be even more exciting to kill a great player in an environment where it was purely your skill that allowed you to do it?

If you play a great player in Halo CE and get 0 kills, it gives you something to work towards, a tangible goal. Maybe next time you get 1 kill, and you can say, "I made progress." How is that less enjoyable than "In 2 encounters, I got lucky with coded-randomness and got the kill due to very little actual improvement on my part?"

That kind of undeserved, faux reward system repulses me.

There's nothing rewarding about getting kills with the Halo 1 pistol. All those weapons were essentially designed for campaign first, and multiplayer second.

The Reach CE Pistol doesn't even need to be led like the H1 CE Pistol. You just instantly die when you try to leave your base on Timberlands because a small fireteam of 3 people can just kill you as soon as you're spotted, and keep in mind all 3 no-bloom weapons still had their Reach ROF. So it fires even faster than the Halo 1 pistol, doesn't have to be lead, and there's extra bullet magnetism to account for online play.. yeah.

If I had to choose one, it'd be

nbDMR over nbNR over CE Magnum

for enjoyment

The nbNR was hilariously broken but at least the game was still somewhat viable. The nbDMR is just normal broken. The CE Magnum should never appear on Timberlands in matchmaking BTB. It might play better on Beaver Creek's limited sightlines for 4v4.

Devin Olsen said:
Mine is still showing completed.

On the topic of challenges, I wish they would separate Firefight and MP challenges and have some of each every day. Days like today upset me, I have no interest in Firefight but that is all of the challenges being offered today :\

Thursday is always Firefight Day for dailies

GhaleonEB said:
I started a game of Halo 1 Campaign with my daughter shortly after we completed Reach together, and the only thing that really linked the two for me was a line Cortana says in the first level. "With all due respect sir, this war has enough dead heroes."

Having just come off the (true) ending for Reach, that resonated with me. Reach added a context that line didn't have before. But otherwise, yup, they're very standalone in terms of how they link.

Somewhat unrelated, but I was just thinking - I wish the opening cinematic for Reach had a few shots of the planet BEFORE the Covenant wrecked it.

- Space/planet shot.
- Sunrise.
- Split mountain/heat wave.
- Cracked helmet.
- R E A C H
- Noble Six holding intact helmet, puts it on. Warthogs and Falcons fly into distance.
- Civilians milling about New Alexandria, Exodus areas. Lots of people going about their business as usual.
- Farmers loading hay bales onto vehicles in the Winter Contingency areas.
- Civilian operating a forklift in front of an undamaged Sword Base, moving crates around.
- Workers taking a lunch break at the Boneyard area.

- Cut back to Noble Six's Warthog arriving at the outpost, cinematic finishes as normal.

I just feel like the Halo games have always underutilized the contrast that you would get from showing human environments under normal conditions.

What if ODST had presented a quick view of a heavily populated New Mombasa before Regret's forces arrived? It would have made the quiet abandoned city more jarring as you wander around alone in the rain. We got a taste of how the city must have been during the evacuation from Sadie's story, but you had to search for that and I think you'd get more of an emotional contrast from actually seeing a normal New Mombasa before shit hits the fan.

BigShow36

FyreWulff said:
There's nothing rewarding about getting kills with the Halo 1 pistol. All those weapons were essentially designed for campaign first, and multiplayer second.

The Reach CE Pistol doesn't even need to be led like the H1 CE Pistol. You just instantly die when you try to leave your base on Timberlands because a small fireteam of 3 people can just kill you as soon as you're spotted, and keep in mind all 3 no-bloom weapons still had their Reach ROF. So it fires even faster than the Halo 1 pistol, doesn't have to be lead, and there's extra bullet magnetism to account for online play.. yeah.

Getting a kill with any weapon is not inherently rewarding, other than the small reward that comes from seeing a number tick. The reward comes from the manner in which you obtained that kill. There is very little reward in 5 shotting a bad player with the CE pistol, however, there is great reward in outdueling a skilled player with the CE pistol.

I never made the assertation the the Reach version of the CE pistol will be rewarding; Reach simply has too much aim assist and too slow of a strafe to feel much reward in outshooting an opponent.

FyreWulff

BigShow36 said:
Getting a kill with any weapon is not inherently rewarding, other than the small reward that comes from seeing a number tick. The reward comes from the manner in which you obtained that kill. There is very little reward in 5 shotting a bad player with the CE pistol, however, there is great reward in outdueling a skilled player with the CE pistol.

I never made the assertation the the Reach version of the CE pistol will be rewarding; Reach simply has too much aim assist and too slow of a strafe to feel much reward in outshooting an opponent.

If you up the strafe speed then everyone moves at the same speed again and now you're back at square 1.

Reach is going to have aim assist because it's a console controller, and bullet magnetism because it's an online FPS. Halo 1 could get away with less since it used bandwidth-heavy frame relay networking, meaning they didn't have to account for anything >1-5ms latency over a network hub or switch. Halo 1 has no concept of dead reckoning, no concept of a host, and the game just freezes if a box drops out of the game. You really cannot apply whatever Halo 1 did in a lagfree LAN-only environment and apply it to the internet.

But at least we should only see the CE Reach Magnum in Classic, so let's hope that they slap a big ol' DLC requirement onto BTB so we can get Headlong and Timberlands and Damnation (maybe?) with Bungie Reach gameplay.

ncsuDuncan said:
Somewhat unrelated, but I was just thinking - I wish the opening cinematic for Reach had a few shots of the planet BEFORE the Covenant wrecked it.

- Space/planet shot.
- Sunrise.
- Cracked helmet.
- R E A C H
- Noble Six holding intact helmet, puts it on. Warthogs and Falcons fly into distance.
- Civilians milling about New Alexandria, Exodus areas. Lots of people going about their business as usual.
- Civilian operating a forklift in front of an undamaged Sword Base, moving crates around.

- Cut back to Noble Six's Warthog arriving at the outpost, cinematic finishes as normal.

I just feel like the Halo games have always underutilized the contrast that you would get from showing human environments under normal conditions.

What if ODST had presented a quick view of a heavily populated New Mombasa before Regret's forces arrived? It would have made the quiet abandoned city more jarring as you wander around alone in the rain. We got a taste of how the city must have been during the evacuation from Sadie's story, but you had to search for that and I think you'd get more of an emotional contrast from actually seeing a normal New Mombasa before shit hits the fan.
I like your idea.

BigShow36

FyreWulff said:
If you up the strafe speed then everyone moves at the same speed again and now you're back at square 1.

Thats ridiculous. A faster strafe makes constistently landing shots much more difficult. The current Reach stafe speed (movement acceleration), is slow to the point where strafing is practically a wasted effort. Its simply too easy to track a target, making it so almost everyone is landing shots every time. It ruins the balance of the game.

blamite

FyreWulff said:
From yesterday's Bulletin:

Implement the classic Magnum from Halo: CE.
• Can make the Magnum automatic.
• Can modify rate of fire of the Magnum.
• Can modify Magnum damage.

The Reach CE is not locked into Reach's pistol ROF, so it can be balanced somewhat. I'm sure it will be incredibly overpowered, and I'm going to guess that it won't be very wiedly used in matchmaking. But once again, you're making sweeping claims when you clearly don't understand what the final implementation of the weapon will be like. 343 has said that with the new settings, the pistol becomes a power weapon, and will be treated as such.

On a slightly different topic, I find it interesting that the pistol is apparently the only weapon whose power can be tweaked through the TU. It would be really great if that could have been applied to other weapons as well *coughgrenadescough* but if it really was out of scope for this patch, I just hope it can be added later...

Ken

Louis Wu said:
There have been posts here from folks who've been matched up against pros in random matchmaking - and while those people often get DESTROYED by the pros, what they take away from the game (and what they post here) is not "damn, I got killed 19 times" but "holy shit, I killed Pistola twice!"

>:

FyreWulff

BigShow36 said:
Thats ridiculous. A faster strafe makes constistently landing shots much more difficult.

You mean where people try to do the silly back and forth strafe and I just fire into the middle of the strafe and still kill them?

I can already dodge fire under the current strafe system.. did it with like 3 people firing on me while returning a flag during a previous GAF customs session. Up close, the bullet magnetism from a red reticule is going to nullify any minor increase in the strafe, and then you can just strafe along with them.

It's the same problem I have with the box in MLG Pit for CTF - it completely defeats the point of having the flag in the base in the first place, since everyone just jumps onto the box anyway. If we increase base player speed, everyone's just going to move at the same speed still. And then you run into the ice-skating problem.

But once again, you're making sweeping claims when you clearly don't understand what the final implementation of the weapon will be like. 343 has said that with the new settings, the pistol becomes a power weapon, and will be treated as such.

I'm not making sweeping anything. Notice where I typed "HAD". HAD the Reach ROF. I am talking about the unfun experience that was at Halofest. We're aware that the CE Magnum will have a different ROF in final, in fact I've already posted about that. They haven't mentioned anything about ROF capping the DMR or NR when those two weapons also need ROF caps to work with reduced bloom. Otherwise they're just near clones of the Halofest CE pistol.

Good games Elzar, Xand, Krow and Over!

ncsuDuncan said:

- Space/planet shot.
- Sunrise.
- Cracked helmet.
- R E A C H

I'd love to have this in Reach, add some more emotional value as you said to the story. Now, the civilians in Reach were only anoying to me and I thought they could survive to many bullets to really seem realistic to me.

BigShow36

FyreWulff said:
You mean where people try to do the silly back and forth strafe and I just fire into the middle of the strafe and still kill them?

I can already dodge fire under the current strafe system.. did it with like 3 people firing on me while returning a flag during a previous GAF customs session. Up close, the bullet magnetism from a red reticule is going to nullify any minor increase in the strafe, and then you can just strafe along with them.

It's the same problem I have with the box in MLG Pit for CTF - it completely defeats the point of having the flag in the base in the first place, since everyone just jumps onto the box anyway. If we increase base player speed, everyone's just going to move at the same speed still. And then you run into the ice-skating problem.

Increase strafe, decrease magnetism/aim assist, skill gap goes up, program game so ice-skating doesn't happen, weapon balance functions correctly, world peace.

I can't even continue this conversation with you anymore, for my health.

neoism

Some people consider beauty sleep a luxury. However, for me it’s nothing short of necessity. And if you’ve ever had the misfortune of being subjected to the frightening sight that is my unadorned face in the morning, you’d doubtless agree
zuhxxd.jpg

FyreWulff

BigShow36 said:
Increase strafe, decrease magnetism/aim assist, skill gap goes up, program game so ice-skating doesn't happen, weapon balance functions correctly, world peace.

I can't even continue this conversation with you anymore, for my health.

This phrase makes me crack up each time I see it

Why don't you just go buy Halo 2 Vista? Play with KBAM and you get no aim assist or magnetism.

If people wanted an increased so-called "skill gap", then Perfect Dark's no-autoaim playlist would be chock full of players. It's pretty much had no population since it came out. It's cool if you can land shots with no aim assist and no aim friction (which Halo 1 had, in spades), but the majority of the console userbase wouldn't be playing an FPS at all without it.

orznge

Banned
FyreWulff said:

Yeah it sure is unrewarding hitting someone in a game where the player has some degree of freedom of movement with a weapon that requires actual spatial ability. Nevermind that though, the developers intent said the weapons were designed for campaign so it's time to put on my FyreWulff mask and be an obnoxious, thick pedant for the next hundred pages.

Karl2177

orznge said:
Yeah it sure is unrewarding hitting someone in a game where the player has some degree of freedom of movement with a weapon that requires actual spatial ability. Nevermind that though, the developers intent said the weapons were designed for campaign so it's time to put on my FyreWulff mask and be an obnoxious, thick pedant for the next hundred pages.
As much as I hate taking sides, he's right that you need to get off your pedestal, fyrewulf.

FyreWulff said:

I'm not making sweeping anything. Notice where I typed "HAD". HAD the Reach ROF. I am talking about the unfun experience that was at Halofest. We're aware that the CE Magnum will have a different ROF in final, in fact I've already posted about that. They haven't mentioned anything about ROF capping the DMR or NR when those two weapons also need ROF caps to work with reduced bloom. Otherwise they're just near clones of the Halofest CE pistol.
The box in MLG Pit added another way to get out. The team didn't always go that way. Also strafing is pretty useless in Reach, but in the games before it it was a pretty important way to dodge fire, and just firing into the middle of it would get you killed.

FyreWulff said:

Why don't you just go buy Halo 2 Vista? Play with KBAM and you get no aim assist or magnetism.

If people wanted an increased so-called "skill gap", then Perfect Dark's no-autoaim playlist would be chock full of players. It's pretty much had no population since it came out. It's cool if you can land shots with no aim assist and no aim friction (which Halo 1 had, in spades), but the majority of the console userbase wouldn't be playing an FPS at all without it.
That's probably more of a problem with a low population in Perfect Dark. Fun fact: Battlefield Bad Company 2 has no aim assist. It's pretty populated.

BigShow36

FyreWulff said:

Halo 2 is bad.

FyreWulff

orznge said:

I thinking you're forgetting how low the jumps and movement were in Halo 1, and may be confusing them with 2 and 3's spacejumping and movement. 1's movement may only feel faster because it was 90 degree FOV, and wider FOV = faster apparent movement than at the same speed with 60 FOV. Strafing also meant poop if you got someone from behind with the PP where you could stunlock them in place and assassinate them with zero recourse from the victim. There were times the PP got banned from LAN because of how effectively I could freeze people.

Seriously though, when you go load up Halo 3 it's like you have moonshoes on.

The only reason I play Halo 1 multiplayer now is the PC version for it's awesome diehard mod community. The Xbox version is just so.. quaint next to Halo PC, and has better modability than Halo 2 Vista still which is a shame, considering the better potential graphics and framerate of the Halo 2 engine, and CONVEYOR BELT support. But that's the new MS and the amount of fucks it gives about PC ports.

I also don't miss the fact that a light breeze from a passing vehicle kills you in Halo 1.

CONVEYOR BELTS!

BigShow36 said:
Halo 2 is bad.

Oh shit now you've incurred the wrath of wwm0nkey. *steps out*

Risen

FyreWulff said:
I can already dodge fire under the current strafe system.. did it with like 3 people firing on me while returning a flag during a previous GAF customs session.

Now this made ME crack up...

Willeth said:
Anyone else's challenges get reset? Just had to run the weekly again.

Did you lose the CR from the first time you did it? That kept happening with one of my dailies yesterday, after redoing it twice I just stopped playing the game, worried it would get me banned. Stupid daily.

FyreWulff

Risen said:
Or they were... Sprayin

GAF Customs dude. DMR starts.

They were trying to DMR me across Wayont (pretty sure it was Wayont), I think it was the game where Frankie splattered me on a mongoose while cycling on his recumbent exerbike.

Risen

FyreWulff said:

They were trying to DMR me across Wayont (pretty sure it was Wayont), I think it was the game where Frankie splattered me on a mongoose while cycling on his recumbent exerbike.

You lost me at Wayont lol

Booshka

I am glad BigShow is here to argue the finer points of Halo CE MP. He is an OG MLG forums member and Halo CE player, and I pretty much agree with him on everything about Halo MP as a franchise.

My head was starting to hurt from some of the stuff FyreWulff was saying about Halo CE MP. Strafing being a waste of time and getting kills with the Halo 1 Pistol not being rewarding as the prime examples.

I also think Halo 2 is bad, just better than H3 and Reach. Compared to Halo CE though, game is a piece of shit. Cool maps though.

wwm0nkey

Booshka said:
I am glad BigShow is here to argue the finer points of Halo CE MP. He is an OG MLG forums member and Halo CE player, and I pretty much agree with him on everything about Halo MP as a franchise.

My head was starting to hurt from some of the stuff FyreWulff was saying about Halo CE MP. Strafing being a waste of time and getting kills with the Halo 1 Pistol not being rewarding as the prime examples.

I also think Halo 2 is bad, just better than H3 and Reach. Compared to Halo CE though, game is piece of shit. Cool maps though.
No

FyreWulff said:

lol well there's the rub. It's easy to avoid anything at that range. Strafe at close and medium ranges is life-saving

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Booshka said:
It's alright dude, at least when they remake your favorite Halo game, it will have its MP in it.
That's a lie, it will feature a classic mode of it's own, in Halo 4.

FyreWulff said:
Optimatch and other forums kept asking for sided spawns on Tempest, which were put in for some reason, so now you're locked to your base in all gametypes, including Slayer which makes no sense since holding your base has no importance in Slayer.

Sided-spawn Tempest is blegh and they didn't place enough spawns to compensate for doing it.

I don't like the sided-spawn Highlands either. Highlands needs weapon placement changes, but not sided spawns.. way too easy to spawncamp and force spawn on it now.

My enjoyment of Tempest increased significantly after they implemented base spawns. It was the right decision, no argument.

Highlands was a fucking horrorshow when it had neutral spawns.

There are few things I loathe more in Halo than neutral spawns on symmetrical maps.

Louis Wu said:
If that's what you got out of my post, I did a pretty shitty job communicating.

Sorry - that's not what I meant at all. I have ZERO problem losing badly. I do it regularly - and I often have FUN doing it.

I was discussing how a tiny bit of chance can make a big difference in how a loss FEELS.

Being killed by chance is always more galling than being killed legitimately. If I want to lose a game of chance I'll go play on the roulette wheel at the casino. Besides, you're talking like a more effective, reliable precision weapon is an immovable barrier to getting a single kill on a skilled player. If you are being consistently outshot then camp with shotty, go for assassinations from hidden alcoves, grab the sniper and one shot kill them before they can fire three on you... if you CAN'T get a kill no matter what then you don't deserve the kill.

Fyrewulff said:

Upping the strafe speed would help to alleviate the problems you described with bloomless Reach precision weapons.

Fyrewulff said:

This is the Halo version of a small town mentality.

Top Bottom