• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

blamite

The more I listen to the new plasma grenade effects, the less I like them. I mean, they sound awesome, and very powerful, but they sound almost completely different from the original. While the other weapons are just beefed up while the basic sounds are kept the same, the plasmas sound like they've been made into a completely different grenade.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not liking the beta playlist so far, 2 games both on countdown, both featuring one dude whoring the sword and sprinting around owning everyone.

feel

wwm0nkey said:
20prh9j.jpg

Looks sooooo good.
Indeed. And to think it looks hot like that while still playing exactly like the original almost makes me tear up.

I really adore 343i for resisting the temptation of shoving in the "improved" gameplay from the sequels, which will surely have idiot reviewers complaining.
Vehicle boarding is the only improvement that ever surfaced and that I wouldn't mind they introducing to CE, everything else is just worthless

Letters said:
I really adore 343i for resisting the temptation of shoving in the "improved" gameplay from the sequels.
JwCL0.jpg

Letters said:
Vehicle boarding is the only improvement that ever surfaced and that I wouldn't mind they introducing to CE, everything else is just worthless
We're the same you and I.

Dax01 said:
I really like the UI in Anniversary.

For the most part, it's fine, and I like the revised menus we've seen so far. It would be nice if the health bars & reticle were a bit brighter and had a bit more contrast. The ammo indicators could do with being a little brighter as well, but not as much as the previous two. The Shotgun reticle definitely needs to be brightened to be consistent with the rest, same with the flashlight indicator. Way too dark.

Basically the brightness needs to be consistent across the entire HUD.

Yeah this is trivial stuff, but we're going to be seeing the HUD a lot, and I can see it being a bit of a problem in places unless fixed.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Indeed. And to think it looks hot like that while still playing exactly like the original almost makes me tear up.

I really adore 343i for resisting the temptation of shoving in the "improved" gameplay from the sequels, which will surely have idiot reviewers complaining.

I agree. Vehicle boarding is honestly the only thing I will and still do miss to this day when playing Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
xxxstylzxxx said:
http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2008/01/do-want.jp

I kind of want to go dark for CEA but I just can't look away lol
I'm going dark, but I gotta say, I don't mind seeing that pic. So damn gorgeous.

PsychoRaven said:
I agree. Vehicle boarding is honestly the only thing I will and still do miss to this day when playing Halo.
Boarding and the Plasma Pistol's EMP charge shot are the only things I would add. And Armor Lock LOL.

PsychoRaven said:

Vehicle boarding and the EMP from the plasma pistol. I wouldn't have minded the Energy Sword and Fuel Rod being usable either, and the Wraith drivable. No-one is forced to use them if they want a 'pure' experience after all.

The only other stuff I'd add if I could is stuff like CEA Firefight and saved films.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Photolysis said:
Vehicle boarding and the EMP from the plasma pistol. I wouldn't have minded the Energy Sword and Fuel Rod being usable either, and the Wraith drivable. No-one is forced to use them if they want a 'pure' experience after all.

The only other stuff I'd add if I could is stuff like CEA Firefight and saved films.
Those are all good ideas, too, actually. And I'm still wondering if we'll have campaign scoring in CEA. There's no been no word on that either way, right?

ElRenoRaven

omg.kittens said:
Those are all good ideas, too, actually. And I'm still wondering if we'll have campaign scoring in CEA. There's no been no word on that either way, right?

We won't. Campaign is your regular Halo as it was but with prettier graphics running on top of it. No replays, no scoring etc.

Devin Olsen said:
This felt, sooo good.
Sword > AL

ace_ventura.gif

I do so love how lethal the post TU sword is now. I understand the premise behind giving players the ability to block it, even though it didn't make a lick of sense, but the window given to non sword wielding players was just way too big. And the minimal skill involved in pulling it off on a consistent basis just added to the frustration.

PsychoRaven said:
We won't. Campaign is your regular Halo as it was but with prettier graphics running on top of it. No replays, no scoring etc.
There are skulls, so there's the possibility of scoring I think, since they're there to serve as a score multiplier as well.

ElRenoRaven

*edit*

Gah I was doing so good too. Didn't mean to double post.

Rickenslacker said:
There are skulls, so there's the possibility of scoring I think, since they're there to serve as a score multiplier as well.

No they didn't say anything about them being score multipliers. In fact they went out of their way to say that the skulls aren't going to make significant changes and not affect things like AI such as upgrading enemies rank, etc.

xxxstylzxxx said:
ace_ventura.gif

I do so love how lethal the post TU sword is now. I understand the premise behind giving players the ability to block it, even though it didn't make a lick of sense, but the window given to non sword wielding players was just way too big. And the minimal skill involved in pulling it off on a consistent basis just added to the frustration.

I'm probably in the minority here but I would be happy if the sword was just removed from MM in future games.

xxxstylzxxx said:
ace_ventura.gif

Did better players really learn how to consistently block the sword? I don't think I ever encountered matches where a player was able to consistently block the sword.

ElRenoRaven

BlueScrote said:
Did better players really learn how to consistently block the sword? I don't think I ever encountered matches where a player was able to consistently block the sword.

I'm pretty damn good at it and I'm not a good player. I would say I blocked it regularly 85 percent of the time. I'd block 2 or 3 times in a row even. Usually ended the same after 2 to 3 blocks my shields would be gone and my health would be gone and end up biting it then.

PsychoRaven said:
No they didn't say anything about them being score multipliers. In fact they went out of their way to say that the skulls aren't going to make significant changes and not affect things like AI such as upgrading enemies rank, etc.
Well I mean in the other games they are, so that might give some weight to a potential scoring mode. Forgot about the latter point though, they said they didn't want to delve too deep so as not to accidentally screw anything up I think?

ElRenoRaven

Rickenslacker said:
Well I mean in the other games they are, so that might give some weight to a potential scoring mode. Forgot about the latter point though, they said they didn't want to delve too deep so as not to accidentally screw anything up I think?

Ah ok. But yea they said they had some criteria for them which was just that. They couldn't affect the AI or the gameplay in any real way such as upgrading ranks or altering how the AI behaves such as catch where it will throw grenades more etc. The reasoning being that this would take a lot of work and time they didn't have and at the same time could cause new bugs that could really cause problems. That's why I think we'll probably see a couple that are more equel to the silver skulls such as IWHBYD, the Grunt Funeral skull, etc.

Striker

BTB is hurting for a map experience that Invasion maps don’t provide, and Forge Maps aren’t really enough to fill the gap. You know it. We know it. We hear you. As such, we looked to Halo 2 to provide us our second big team map, and Halo 2 more than delivered.
Indeed.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The good thing is I am still doing good with armor lock, because I am using it as intended. Short bursts to block swords and melees. It's not as nerfed as I feared.

GhaleonEB

xxxstylzxxx said:
On a somewhat related note while I did gain some sense of gratification from the following clip I still absolutely despise armor lock. Please keep this bull**** get out of jail free card out of Halo 4 MM.
The cheering kids are appropriate and how I felt like responding. Beautiful.

Edit: read the update. Great before/after video, the meaty Reach gunplay feels so good, and that looks to have been carried over to CEA. Great stuff. Also:

BTB is hurting for a map experience that Invasion maps don’t provide, and Forge Maps aren’t really enough to fill the gap. You know it. We know it. We hear you.
I am going to pretend you are also talking about Halo 4. Thank you in advance. <3

anyone else notice that the shotgun clips into the camera while firing in the weapons sounds vid?

Also, I still don't like how damn bright the swamp is.

Plasma grenade explosion is deliciously violent.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Oh forgot about that. Ok those two things I miss.
I'd add fusion cores to blow up, suicide Grunts, methane tanks on Grunts rupturing, the Plasma Pistol overcharging vehicles, vehicle destructible states, and NPCs able to drive vehicles* to the list.

*pre-Reach

Tunavi said:
Thats actual product placement. Microsoft paid money to have that in the trailer.

That's not necessarily true, someone involved in the film could have been a big xbox fan, or wanted that on the screen for people to relate, so they get permission to put it up there, or even pay them to let it be there.

Goes both ways :p

Havok

Pennybags said:
NPC weapon swapping.
Speaking of which, I wonder if Halo 4 will be the game to break the weapon swap achievement streak? ODST and Reach both had one, I presume because the general public wasn't aware you could do it. Seems kind of silly to tutorialize using achievements.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
I'd add fusion cores to blow up, suicide Grunts, methane tanks on Grunts rupturing, the Plasma Pistol overcharging vehicles, vehicle destructible states, and NPCs able to drive vehicles* to the list.

*pre-Reach
No. Unless all of these are referring to your note.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

*pre-Reach

I can take or leave most of that but NPC's driving vehicles have always sucked granted it got a hell of a lot worse with each game and I am not a fan of destructible vehicles myself. So I can most certainly leave both of those.

A27_StarWolf said:
That's not necessarily true, someone involved in the film could have been a big xbox fan, or wanted that on the screen for people to relate, so they get permission to put it up there, or even pay them to let it be there.

Goes both ways :p

Forgot where I read it but someone who knew the husband and wife who made the movie asked them and they said they made it up themselves. MS had no part in that.

ChiefEdiri said:
Does Halo:CEA really look that good? Looks leagues better than Reach.

From what I've seen yes. It looks damn amazing. The only area I feel it's lacking based off everything we've seen is it's too damn bright. There seem to be lights everywhere and they're on full bore. The lack of any fog for atmospheric reasons hurts too although we've been told the brightness and such might be toned down a little bit. I still feel that won't be enough though.

All that sad though it looks amazing. So amazing that I'm going dark from here on out. I've seen 3 small bits of levels, those being the small sample of the beach assault and then part of 343 Guilty Spark and a small sample of the beginning of the game.

Merguson

Banned
So I'm curious.

How many people are actually getting Halo: CEA? With Skyrim and Arkham City, I would prefer to wait Halo: CEA drops in price. I am not really interested in the multiplayer maps at all which leaves the campaign which I've played through countless times.

It just makes sense for me to opt for new experiences that will certainly be longer than the campaign in Halo: CEA.

Homeboyd

Merguson said:
So I'm curious.

How many people are actually getting Halo: CEA? With Skyrim and Arkham City, I would prefer to wait Halo: CEA drops in price. I am not really interested in the multiplayer maps at all which leaves the campaign which I've played through countless times.

It just makes sense for me to opt for new experiences that will certainly be longer than the campaign in Halo: CEA.
all-about-me-boy.jpg

Day 1

ElRenoRaven

Merguson said:
So I'm curious.

I am. I've had it preordered with 99 cent release date delivery from Amazon since the day they revealed everything we'd be getting in the package. Skyrim not going to get. Not a big ES fan although I did play a bit of the last one. Also as much as I love the Batman games I will wait till cheap. I have a policy anymore of buying games when 30 or less. I make a few exceptions for Bungie games and the occasional other game like Halo Anniversary.

Dax01 said:
They added that in? Sweet.
No, CEA does not have weapon swapping.

Pennybags was just mentioning another post-CE gameplay innovation that he enjoys, like vehicle boarding.

Ramirez said:
Anyone else kind of bummed that Headlong is being wasted on Reach?
How do you know it wouldn't be even more of a waste in Halo 4? Besides, there can still be Terminal and Turf remakes.

Headlong is just what Reach BTB needs. The new Classic playlists are going to be amazing.

Havok said:
Speaking of which, I wonder if Halo 4 will be the game to break the weapon swap achievement streak? ODST and Reach both had one, I presume because the general public wasn't aware you could do it. Seems kind of silly to tutorialize using achievements.
Would you prefer an unskippable tutorial that shoves it down your throat? I think using achievements to highlight lesser-known gameplay elements is smart.

Top Bottom