• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tunavi said:
201-tee-hee-link.jpg

He maaaad.

Stinkles

Devolution said:
Listen to Frankie or the .maps afficianado. Decisions, decisions.

Look, Ffyrewulf's historyis fine, it's his political inferences that are off. It Just Doesn't Work Like That.

Decisions about when to release maps aren't handed down from some accountant. It's a combination of Dev work schedules, common sense, marketing, market cadence, blah blah blah. There are no conspiracies. Nobody is told to lock things away on discs (on Halo at least) and there's no plot.

It's a large business with a lot of moving pieces. There's no PR line here, this is just how it works. It's BORING.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Look, Ffyrewulf's historyis fine, it's his political inferences that are off. It Just Doesn't Work Like That.

Decisions about when to release maps aren't handed down from some accountant. It's a combination of Dev work schedules, common sense, marketing, market cadence, blah blah blah. There are no conspiracies. Nobody is told to lock things away on discs (on Halo at least) and there's no plot.

It's a large business with a lot of moving pieces. There's no PR line here, this is just how it works. It's BORING.

Please dont capitalize certain words in your post to emphasize them, I have that TRADEMARKED. Thank you in advance Frankie.

stephen08

OuterWorldVoice said:
How long maps take to get to market and the idea that Microsoft 'forced' a studio to 'sit' on maps for Two years are not even in the same ballpark. So your inferences and conclusions are off.

Well that is true, there is no doubt that Microsoft decides how to go about releasing the content and that they do so to serve their own agenda despite what the developer may want.

I'm sure it wasn't Bungie who decided the best way to release the Mythic Maps was with the Limited Edition of Halo Wars.

That's not to say Fyrewulff's version is 100% correct, but it's not completely wrong either.

FyreWulff

Just for historical purposes:

the original post on HBO, which was redacted by Wu (understandably). Posted 9/19/2008:

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive30.pl?read=896235

Here's the restored text, which I copied to here before it was redacted:

Heretic - Internal Name: midship.map
Because of its speed and luxury the Pious Inquisitor has become an irresistible prize during these dark times. 2-8 players

Citadel - Internal Name: fortress.map
In the heart of this Forerunner structure, far above the troubled surface of the Ark, another battle rages. 2-6 players

Assembly - Internal Name: descent.map
The Covenant war machine continues its march to conquest; even with its head severed it is still dangerous. 2-8 players

Sandbox - Internal Name: sandbox.map
This endless wasteland still holds many secrets. Some of them are held more deeply than others. 4-12 players

Orbital - Internal Name: spacecamp.map
With a lot of situational awareness, and a little luck, hopefully the only thing you will lose is your luggage. 4-12 player

There was the leaker's whole account of each map but that one's a bit hard to pull out with searches. He talked about the boats on Longshore though. BOATS.

Man I have been having some of the most fun on Reach that I've had in a while. This brings me to my next question: can we just have the TU playlist permanently and as is? I'm lovin it.
mcburger_530.jpg

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Please dont capitalize certain words in your post to emphasize them, I have that TRADEMARKED. Thank you in advance Frankie.
I strongly prefer italics for proper emphasis, thought those are lost when quoted. I often post quotes using the indentation rather than quote tags for that reason.

Stinkles

Deputy Moonman said:
Man I have been having some of the most fun on Reach that I've had in a while. This brings me to my next question: can we just have the TU playlist permanently and as is? I'm lovin it.
mcburger_530.jpg

Bits of it sure, but it has some known broke isms in it that must be purged.

FyreWulff

Full off-topic disclosure:
I am a bit salty with MS after they killed the XBLA port of Immortal Defense (a game I programmed the campaign/level editor for) because a bigger publisher wanted their own tower defense game on XBLA.

Thems the breaks though.

You can probably imagine how heartbreaking it was to tell family that they could actually play a game on their Xbox with your name on it soon then BOOM NOPE LOL.

Anyway I'm getting on. TU playlist or no, I need to get this weekly done.

I've had some bad games, of course, but I've also managed to turn a few games with quitters into interesting games.

This one was one with 2 quitters and my remaining teammate basically hiding for much of the game. There were multiple times where I had at least one to two people with no shields before dying, and there is my teammate cowering in a corner a few feet away... But we kept Dinoman0018 from getting his perfection and that was at least something.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=819512840&player=XxDeputyMoonman

But then you have games like this that would have never happened in vanilla reach.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=818574303&player=XxDeputyMoonman Thank you SoCal Sniper01

Tunavi

Banned
Dani said:
Truth, lies, betrayals and heartbreak.
Reach is the worst Halo, we are promised Halo 4 will save the Franchise, Frankie unfriends us all and gets himself perma-banned on purpose, and we stuck longing for the days of Halo 2.

J10

Banned
I wouldn't mind it terribly if Halo was done as a TV series like the recent Battlestar Galactica remake. The budget would have to be insane, but at least we already have the story, they would just have to spread it out across like 3-4 seasons. A story like Halo's probably shouldn't be crammed into a 2-3 hour movie anyway. This way you have the big ensemble cast, you can explore all your characters properly, your get the big set pieces where appropriate and you get the proper payoff in the end.

FyreWulff

Zeouterlimits said:
Eh, not sure that Frankie's explanation absolves MS of all Mythic and ODST related tom-foolery.

Know what would help?

Make ODST Johnson a public free download. It's been two years now, open him up for all ODST owners. You can't even redeem the codes anymore, they all expired. Shame he doesn't talk much though. I was expecting more Johnson chatter than what we got, even with IWHBYD on.

Also figure out why ODST delays all 360 notifications. Why does it even do that (doesn't happen to everyone, though)

Keeping Halo Wars stats online was a nice move though. I know they went through a lot of trouble to do that.

senador

Banned
What the Dax? No.

There are plenty of game series that could be good for TV. I get what you are saying, but it just sounds like Halo bias. I italicized "good: because I think any game series TV show could be as good as a Halo series, but I don't think any would be great, just kinda meh.

Pass on HaloTV for me unless its Clone Wars style. For a live action Halo series to be good it'd have to be way too big of budget, and even then somethings are better left to the imagination and games.

---

I played some more TU Beta playlist. Zero Bloom is just too insane for me. I finally experienced the pistol to its fullest. It can kill so fast! Maybe ZB would be better with some of the settings that have been messed with in customs. I dunno.

I actually prefer 85%. Once I figured out that it effected its reset rate and not really the size it expands to, I started noticing things a lot more. There is still pacing but not nearly as much as needed at 100%. Kills are faster and games move more quickly, but its not as chaotic or unbalanced as ZB is. I could live with this.

FyreWulff said:
The only thing I'm "am cry"ing about right now is MySQL left joins, and especially one that appears to work on everyone's server but mine. FUCK MYSQL LEFT JOINS.

PostgreSQL FTW

FyreWulff said:
Know what would help?

Make ODST Johnson a public free download. It's been two years now, open him up for all ODST owners. You can't even redeem the codes anymore, they all expired.

Also figure out why ODST delays all 360 notifications. Why does it even do that

Keeping Halo Wars stats online was a nice move though. I know they went through a lot of trouble to do that.
The Johnson skin and whatever ODST does with notifications are quite low on the list of questions/issues for me.

FyreWulff

senador said:
PostgreSQL FTW

I wish we were using postgre, but we're stuck on a host with a MySQL 5.1 and the ftp randomly decides to not let you in.

Zeouterlimits said:
The Johnson skin and whatever ODST does with notifications are quite low on the list of questions/issues for me.

I am easily placated!

It doesnt help that MM throws you into groups of 4 when you go in with 2 and get two randoms. Heres an idea, If you go in with 2's Throw them in with 2's and 1's. If you go in with 3's Match a group of 3's with two randoms on each, match teams of 4 with teams of 4.

JUST A FUCKING SUGGESTION.

wwm0nkey

Jesus christ, I think i played the most laggy 4v4 game ever and it never switched host!

took like a minute for my grenades to appear

Homeboyd

Geez guys, it's not even like we need map pack DLC anymore.. Haven't you heard of this little thing called "Forge World?" Free DLC 4 LYFE.

GAHL!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Trasher said:
You finally bought it after complaining to me about its price for months and months?! lol

I haven't played in months, but I'll play with you sometime if you need help.
Lol I know right? One of my teammates bought it and I didn't want him to have a headstart on me. We were going to wait until after the event next week to play it. He bought it so I bought it online right away lol. My other teammates have it also. I just wanna start winning some matches.

I can't believe the event is next week. This shit is bananas. It still hasn't hit me. I just wanna do well there, we've put it a decent amount of practice and I think we're a good team when we play our best.

Homeboyd

FyreWulff said:
A daily with 3680cR payout? that seems.. specific
A previous Bungie version was worth exactly half that. Whatever reason Bungie thought it was worth 525 per avenge medal was beyond them and it was easier to hit the x2 button than to investigate it more. Guess they could've just rounded up to 4k as well.

FyreWulff

Homeboyd said:
A previous Bungie version was worth exactly half that. Whatever reason Bungie thought it was worth 525 per avenge medal was beyond them and it was easier to hit the x2 button than to investigate it more. Guess they could've just rounded up to 4k as well.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

Also re: Forge World. Jesus, I tried to use Halo 3 Forge earlier while messing around with something. Reach's Forge is so much better, I don't even know how I made maps in Halo 3's with the pieces bouncing all over the place.

Top Bottom