• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

header_s.png

OT1 | OT2 | OT3 | OT4 | OT5 | ForgeGAF Thread | Today's Challenges (Alt. Link) | HaloGAF Gamertags

News & Updates

10/14/11 | Data Drop 5 is online.

10/04/11 | The latest playlist update, along with the Title Update hopper, are now live. Click here for a summary of both.

09/21/11 | The custom game to start the TU Beta test is now available via Waypoint's file share - Zero Bloom DMRs. You read that right.

08/31/11 | What are they to say now?

08/31/11 | 20,000 posts means yet another new OT. Post moar.

08/31/11 | For a hearty round up of HaloFest news, click here.​

Reach Title Update | Click here for the official details on the now-released title update.

Halo Data Drops

343 has been dribbling a series of cryptic 'data drops' each Friday, graduall building out some backstory. Is it leading up to Glasslands? Primordium? CEA? Halo 4? The answer is probably, yes.

Data Drop 1 | Data Drop 2 | Data Drop 3 | Data Drop 4 | Data Drop 5

Halo Reach DLC
Halo: Anniversary Classic Maps: CEA ships with six classic Halo maps, plus a new Firefight map. Here are a bunch of links to videos of these maps (scroll down).

• Multiplayer Maps: Beaver Creek, Damnation, Timberland, Hang em High, Prisoner and Hang'em High.
  • Firefight Map: Installation 04

Defiant Map Pack | Inside Condemned | Inside Unearthed | Inside Highlands | Making-if Video | Trailer | Announcement | Screenshots

Noble Map Pack | FAQ | Trailer | Map Overviews | Developer Commentary Videos | Announcement

Playlist Updates | As of August 2nd, 343 has taken over the playlist management for Reach. When they begin their updates, I will log them here.

Halo Reach 101
Essential guides to various aspects of Reach.

Halo: Reach Project Page
A hub for all Reach content on Bungie.net. Videos, FAQs, Guides, game details, matchmaking playlists, the works.

Welcome to Reach
A round up of resources on Bungie.net at the launch of Reach.

Halo: Reach Support FAQ
A list of common questions and issues - with answers.

Welcome to Noble Team
All about Credits, the Armory and player customization.

Networking 101
A FAQ to networking issues in Reach.

Welcome to The Arena
A detailed guide to Seasons, Ratings, Divisions, etc.

Player Ranks
Guide to Reach's cR system and the Ranks players can achieve.

Unofficial Reach Resources
HBO's Cutscene Library
A collection of the cinematics from Halo: Reach available for download in various formats and resolutions.

HBO's Bungie Weekly Update Archive
A lighter, standards-compliant version of the weekly Updates, with a robust search feature.​

halo_community.png

For posterity: HaloGAF vs. Bungie Humpday Challenge...did not end well for HaloGAF

Forge & Custom Content
Map Design 101, by Chris Carney

Forging Invasion

Comprehensive guides to objectives and spawns

For a video overview on the new Forge, and Forge World, watch this vidoc.

There is a separate thread for Forge sharing and testing, here.

If you are working on maps or gametypes, tag them with the "HaloGAF" key word. We should be able to search for and find all of our community content this way. Or, post it in the ForgeGAF thread above.​

HaloGAF Customs

GAF regularly gets together every Saturday at about 5:00 PM Pacific time (US) to play Reach for hours on end. To join, add some HaloGAFers to your Friend list and join them for customs. Or, watch the thread for who to hook up with.

Halo Community Sites | The Halo community is vast. Here are a few highlights.

HBO
The oldest and biggest Halo fan site on the web, run by one of the nicest (and oldest) people on the internet. If there's news about Halo, HBO will cover it.

Bungie.net forums
A vast community of upstanding and thoughtful commentators.

Tied The Leader
A community, clan and site dedicated to fair play and thoughtful commentary on Halo.

rampancy.net
Another long time Halo fan site, dedicated to unusually in-depth commentary and analysis of the series, as well as news and community creations.

Forward Unto Dawn
In the spirit of Ascendant Justice, FUD is devoted to analysis and commentary on various aspects of the Halo games and universe.

Major League Gaming
An organized league of professional gamers, in which Halo plays a starring role. Forums, league schedules, rules and live streams are available from their site.

Forge Hub
A large community devoted to creating custom maps in Forge. Tutorials, guides and an active forum to provide feedback and testing, as well as an excellent resource for well crafted maps.​

Special Thanks to Louis Wu for web hosting.
footer.png

Bloom sucks is adjustable by gametype!
Armor Lock sucks has been nerfed!
Reach map variety sucks has been supplemented with gorgeous remakes!

Someone should do DID something about that!

This place is much more roomy than the last house.

Edit: seems like iv been a junior forever, whats the requirements for full membership?

GhaleonEB

Looks like the footer is busted, I'll fix that.

I'll also go back to maintaining some updates in the OP; I'll build out a section for the TU and new maps, I just didn't have time yesterday to get on it.

The map pack playlist does have a depressingly low population. Despite the fact that I enjoy all of those maps much more than the disc maps (barring breakpoint, I hate that map).

FyreWulff

They should adopt a Fable 2 style DLC mechanism where there's a paid version and a free version of a map pack. Free version doesn't get you achievements and you can't select the map when hosting a lobby or save Forge variants from it. But you can play on it in matchmaking.

cory021

Neo Member
Wow, come home from 2nd day of college and see new Halo thread. First 'First Page' post evar.

Oh, and nice thread title.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
OK so where were we? Oh yea.

MS quit being greedy and give us Halo Reach maps free now damn it!!!!! ;p

Frankie made a nice reply about it on the last page of the old thread.

On the subject of free maps, DLC etc., please remember that at the time, this was a brand new model and Microsoft, its competitors and everyone else was still trying to figure out how to make that business model work. It costs a crapton of money to build, implement and run these maps, with dozens of programmers, artists and designers working long man-hours to build them.

The simple reason that they cost money is that it is a business. As that business evolved and matured, the models changed - and not just for Halo, but for everyone, especially in the console space.

There's no evil mastermind trying to bilk you, simply the realities of making and selling products.

Goods and services, mang.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
They should adopt a Fable 2 style DLC mechanism where there's a paid version and a free version of a map pack. Free version doesn't get you achievements and you can't select the map when hosting a lobby or save Forge variants from it. But you can play on it in matchmaking.

You know that's a good idea. That would allow for all the maps to be in matchmaking. However for a lot of people that would make it pretty much useless to buy them then because a lot don't forge and a lot don't do customs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm calling it now (again): We'll be to OT7 by the time Anniversary hits.

EVERYONE DO YOUR PART!

senador

Banned
Brought this post over this nub put on the last page of the old OT:

OuterWorldVoice said:
On the subject of free maps, DLC etc., please remember that at the time, this was a brand new model and Microsoft, its competitors and everyone else was still trying to figure out how to make that business model work. It costs a crapton of money to build, implement and run these maps, with dozens of programmers, artists and designers working long man-hours to build them.

The simple reason that they cost money is that it is a business. As that business evolved and matured, the models changed - and not just for Halo, but for everyone, especially in the console space.

There's no evil mastermind trying to bilk you, simply the realities of making and selling products.

Goods and services, mang.

I have this in mind for sure and I totally understand it. It sucks though that we don't get to experience the maps fully due to not everyone owning them. I'm hoping a better model comes out in the future, but I can't think of one. If there was some way that I could pay more to help them be released free later on that'd be cool. Maybe a 343 Pro and part of the funds go to the maps for releasing them free in the future. I dunno. Perhaps I'll have to do giveaways like others here so at least more of this community has them. Thanks OWV!

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
Brought this post over this nub put on the last page of the old OT:

I have this in mind for sure and I totally understand it. It sucks though that we don't get to experience the maps fully due to not everyone owning them. I'm hoping a better model comes out in the future, but I can't think of one. If there was some way that I could pay more to help them be released free later on that'd be cool. Maybe a 343 Pro and part of the funds go to the maps for releasing them free in the future. I dunno. Thanks OWV.

It is a good post but I have to say that if someone hasn't bought the maps after say a year odds are they aren't going to buy them. So how much harm could it do making them free after a year?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, we still doing the DLC conversation?

Lyphen said:
Heroes of Newerth, a DOTA game has a solution for this that I think could still monetize DLC, which is what they want anyway.

They have an 'early access' feature, where people can pay 3$ to get early access to an up coming hero before he enters the free hero pool in a months time. By buying him, you get access, and a limited edition skin.

So, add some limited edition avatar stuff, or armor unlocks (only possible in Halo 4) with map DLC, and then make the maps themselves free after a certain period.

I really think segregating by playlist and DLC maps is a bad thing. I've always hated it. Haves: you don't get to use your paid product as much, because it isn't attractive to the cheap folks. Have nots: you don't get to experience great new stuff.

Monetization should come from cosmetics, of which Halo has a lot of potential for.

cory021

Neo Member
omg.kittens said:
I'm calling it now (again): We'll be to OT7 by the time Anniversary hits.

EVERYONE DO YOUR PART!
Honestly, I would be surprised if we don't do this. It took about a month a half for the last thread to reach 20,000 posts. Anniversary is like 2 months away, plus people are probably going to post more as Anniversary gets nearer.

wwm0nkey

I think there would be a few ways to get people to buy the map packs and make them free (taking suggestions from the last OT)

-Have exclusives for people that buy them like in-game armor, avatar props, name plates and ect. When they go free it will just be the maps but still have the option to buy so they get the extra's if they want.

-Free users are ONLY able to use the maps in Matchmaking and can not get achievements for the maps if they are free users.

I think both those solutions would work nicely together.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You know, I hadn't looked at the OP in the Reach threads in a long time, but I just did, and they're still awesome. Great job, Ghal.

Letters said:
beta hoppers say: hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

|OT9| at the very least
Hah, yeah, I guess it's kind of a safe bet. Okay, new bet: OT7 by Oct 7. :-O

StalkerUKCG said:
Just got off halo, classic playlist is vastly under populated some actual great maps in it. Lockout <3

There's a lockout remake in classic? I gotta try that out, as Lockout is by far my most favorite map of the series (with runner up being the pit).

FyreWulff said:
No way, sales will bottom out. If anything the reverse is the only one that makes sense.

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
Wow, another halo thread?

talk about milking a community...
lol'd IRL.

Thanks for entertaining me HaloGAF. My phone battery is about to die within the hour. Hopefully I'll get a recharge soon. I'm going to dong so hard when I get power back.

senador

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
It is a good post but I have to say that if someone hasn't bought the maps after say a year odds are they aren't going to buy them. So how much harm could it do making them free after a year?

I agree with you, but since we don't know the full details and logistics of them its hard to really get into it. We see it that way, but from the business side there is still money to be made. I mean just the past week we saw a few GAF members come in and say they just bought the maps and that is $$$.

Still, there has to be a better model. Perhaps lowering the prices incrementally over time just like retail would? I would think that would bring more people in than not and actually increases sales instead of MS holding out for the full price. More people would have them too. Again though, since we don't know the full logistics and details of it, this is all speculation.

Lyphen said:
HiredN00bs said:
Lyphen said:
HiredN00bs said:
Still catching up on the thread, but isn't playing with reduced bloom going to make it so random headshots at full bloom are more frequent? Is this what you guys wanted?
How would decreasing reticule growth and spread increase the randomness in its trajectory? I don't follow.
It wouldn't. I don't follow.
So you mean headshots, not random headshots.
No, I mean random headshots. One of the complaints about bloom is that it is possible (albeit rare) for someone to ignore any kind of pacing and spam out a lucky headshot. If the bloom is reduced by 15%, then there is a greater chance that the spammer will get a lucky headshot, no?

Top Bottom