• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Merguson said:
So I'm curious.

How many people are actually getting Halo: CEA? With Skyrim and Arkham City, I would prefer to wait Halo: CEA drops in price. I am not really interested in the multiplayer maps at all which leaves the campaign which I've played through countless times.

It just makes sense for me to opt for new experiences that will certainly be longer than the campaign in Halo: CEA.

Day one. Brings the amount of good MP maps in Reach from 0 to 6, plus Anniversary playlists (the only ones a sane person would want to play) will probably be CEA maps required.

Sarcasm, but seriously, the MP maps and Anniversary playlist(s) are a must for me to keep playing this game

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
ncsuDuncan said:
No, CEA does not have weapon swapping.

Pennybags was just mentioning another post-CE gameplay innovation that he enjoys, like vehicle boarding.

How do you know it wouldn't be even more of a waste in Halo 4? Besides, there can still be Terminal and Turf remakes.

Headlong is just what Reach BTB needs. The new Classic playlists are going to be amazing.

Would you prefer an unskippable tutorial that shoves it down your throat? I think using achievements to highlight lesser-known gameplay elements is smart.

I always liked the way Halo has always handled the tutorials myself. So yea let them use achievements and the quick pop up hints like the previous games I say.

Rickenslacker said:
What if I support classic gameplay, but not a remake that doesn't feature all the content of the original?

Then buy the maps on marketplace.

Tunavi's a crazy person, don't listen to him!

GhaleonEB

Karl2177 said:
No. Unless all of these are referring to your note.
Personally, I like blowing stuff up, so cores go in there. And the plasma over charge go hand in hand with vehicle boarding. The Grunt behaviors I just plain love, makes them much less predictable and more entertaining. And many of my favorite Halo encounters in the series past has involved NPC AI. The vehicle scenes in Halo are so lonely.

But that's me. CEA is going to be a fun, nostalgic trip down memory lane in many ways, but it will also remind me of how much I've grown accustomed to the many ways Bungie expanded Halo's gameplay as the series progressed, things like swapping weapons and boarding vehicles are just second nature now, and it's jarring to go back. I don't have any nostalgia for the many rough edges in the campaign, such as predictable reinforcement triggers and non-usable Wraiths, which were a product of development schedule and tech at the time. I love Halo 1's campaign to death, but I strongly prefer the gameplay in the later series over it. It will be interesting to see how well the new coat of paint meshes with the original gameplay.

heckfu

Banned
Merguson said:
So I'm curious.

How many people are actually getting Halo: CEA? With Skyrim and Arkham City, I would prefer to wait Halo: CEA drops in price. I am not really interested in the multiplayer maps at all which leaves the campaign which I've played through countless times.

It just makes sense for me to opt for new experiences that will certainly be longer than the campaign in Halo: CEA.

I'm literally shaking my fist in the air and yelling, "MERGUSON!"

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Rickenslacker said:
What if I support classic gameplay, but not a remake that doesn't feature all the content of the original?

You by all means are entitled to feel that way. I myself still wish they had the multiplayer even if it was a port of the PC's set up with a simple server browser. However for everything Anniversary has it's worth the 40 bucks I feel.

You're getting the single player with the same great physics engine and gameplay it always had. You get both the original graphics and new damn amazing graphics. You get original soundtrack available to you via a choice on the start menu. You get re-recorded soundtrack via start menu. You get the graphics swap in game at a push of the button. You get terminals which add to the game and the universe in general. You get skulls to find. Last but not least you get 6 MP maps with two versions of each along with a Firefight map. Hell the maps alone would run 20 bucks or more if they were map packs.

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
Would you prefer an unskippable tutorial that shoves it down your throat? I think using achievements to highlight lesser-known gameplay elements is smart.
I'd rather it was presented naturally instead of outside the game entirely. The series is notoriously bad at presenting the fundamentals of how the game works to new players. The AR rush exists primarily because at no point in the games does it emphasize the importance of precision weapons, so newcomers use the weapon that makes the most sense in the context of most other shooters. I don't think there's a point in the entire series that the game tells you that plasma is more effective on shields than bullet weapons (there's one line of dialogue in ODST where Dare mentions the importance of the plasma pistol, but that's it). We know that, just like we know the intricacies of every mechanic, but it's not presented nearly as well as it should be if they want newer players to be able to grasp more advanced concepts. Would we have understood how Stockpile works for the first game we played if it hadn't been outlined on bungie.net, which we follow religiously? Of course not. I don't know what the solution is. I don't want unskippable tutorials, but I don't think I'd mind if it was Halo CE style - Heroic or above skips the tutorial entirely.

orznge

Banned
Tunavi said:
If you don't get CEA you are saying "I don't support classic halo gameplay"

Classic Halo gameplay to me includes a "precision" weapon that's non-hitscan. I wonder if anything's ever going to come of that Modacity thread where Corrinne Yu asked for people to showcase and explain what they've done with the Halo PC/Custom Edition engines. Releasing the source code would be a cool thing.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
orznge said:
Classic Halo gameplay to me includes a "precision" weapon that's non-hitscan. I wonder if anything's ever going to come of that Modacity thread where Corrinne Yu asked for people to showcase and explain what they've done with the Halo PC/Custom Edition engines. Releasing the source code would be a cool thing.

Never going to happen. I remember reading a thread on either HBO or Bnet where one of the Bungie guys said flat out that Microsoft will not allow that source code to be released. Wish I still had a link.

Tunavi said:
Well you aren't paying the full price of a full AAA game.

It's not a full AAA game. It's a graphical overhaul of part of a ten-year old game and a map pack. I think the price is a great value personally, but it's not a full AAA game, that's why it's not priced as such.

orznge

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Never going to happen. I remember reading a thread on either HBO or Bnet where one of the Bungie guys said flat out that Microsoft will not allow that source code to be released. Wish I still had a link.

lol at the fact that Halo CE will never have functional online multiplayer as a result, anyone know where I can find that post or do I have to search

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Day 1 on Halo: CEA for me. I will never miss a Halo game release for any reason, at any time, at any point, for any reason, ever, for any reason.

/Michael Scott

feel

Fair enough Ghal, I see where you're coming from. Though I don't see things that way, I those things seem just like nice extras to me, not crucial aspects of the gameplay, like the boarding ability when I manage to get within touching distance of a slow moving enemy vehicle. It's honestly the only thing I really miss. Ok maybe I miss the binoculars too. On the other hand when I play the sequels I feel like they're missing a lot of things from Halo CE, and frustratingly, most of it I can't even point a finger to or properly explain.

Unrelated:

clipping
20z7jtf.jpg

vik8i1.jpg

(lower right corners)

It's pretty much a given that it has been fixed with how obvious it is, but some confirmation from someone in the know would be nice. :)

And anyone else preorder Forza 4 just because of the demo? xD

I never buy racing games, but Forza 4 feels, looks and sounds so sublime that I just spent $140 dollars on an order of the Limited Edition and that new speed wheel MS released.

Looks like the clipping is a result of it being widescreen.

Hopefully it will be fixed, but I won't be angry if it isn't.

For all we know it can't be changed without messing up the camera.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
orznge said:
lol at the fact that Halo CE will never have functional online multiplayer as a result, anyone know where I can find that post or do I have to search

Not the one I remember reading but Roger Wolfson basically says the same again in THIS post.

Roger Wolfson aka Sawnose said:
Hi,

As others have noted, Microsoft owns the game and they do not release the source code to their major projects. Trying to convince Bungie isn't going to change anything.

Reagardless, releasing the source probably would set this community back, anyway. There would be countless parallel versions because of disagreements over how things should work, and they wouldn't play together. Plus, there would be lots of new security exploits found that would have to be patched in every branch. Imagine if Linux could only be successful if everyone ran the same build of the same distro...

At least the current way there are only 2 branches, and one current version of each.

ncsuDuncan said:
Looks like the clipping is a result of it being widescreen.

Hopefully it will be fixed, but I won't be angry if it isn't.

For all we know it can't be changed without messing up the camera.

Yea seeing those screens and surely they'd notice that and surely it could be fixed. Frankie? David?

Tunavi said:
Well you aren't paying the full price of a full AAA game.
Does that matter? I didn't pay full price for Perfect Dark XBLA either but I got theentirety of the original game and more with that package. And even though they're not graphical overhauls, the HD collections coming out are also cheaper, and have their content intact. Granted I accept that it's a lopsided comparison because CEA's visual overhaul is far more advanced than anything near what PDXBLA attempted, but still.

PsychoRaven said:
You by all means are entitled to feel that way. I myself still wish they had the multiplayer even if it was a port of the PC's set up with a simple server browser. However for everything Anniversary has it's worth the 40 bucks I feel.

You're getting the single player with the same great physics engine and gameplay it always had. You get both the original graphics and new damn amazing graphics. You get original soundtrack available to you via a choice on the start menu. You get re-recorded soundtrack via start menu. You get the graphics swap in game at a push of the button. You get terminals which add to the game and the universe in general. You get skulls to find. Last but not least you get 6 MP maps with two versions of each along with a Firefight map. Hell the maps alone would run 20 bucks or more if they were map packs.
I'm just playing devil's advocate and I agree, what you're getting in the package is not a ripoff by any means. In fact chances are high I will be getting the game on or near release because the campaign is so damn good. However what CEA represents to me is more than what can be rationalized in its price per content ratio. It means to me that CE will likely never be on Xbox Live. I mean, what are they gonna do, remake it again? CEA is the crushing reality of things, and my hopes being shot dead.

I mean, it's not like there were any huge expectations before the announcement anyway, but it's something like that hope that people have for a proper Halo 2 XBLA/remake treatment now. Except with CE it seems that's squandered forever because "playing online is different from playing split screen/LAN", "we didn't want to cannibalize the population of Reach that came out not so long ago", "it wasn't in the budget/we didn't have enough time to implement it" and whatever else to excuse omitting arguably the most influential aspect of the game. I'm just being an overentitled bitch about it, but I just really like CE is all. I'm sick of the only online play is in the deserted PC version with awful network co...

orznge said:
oh well this is cool as hell a guy started working on an unlagged mod for Halo PC recently maybe I'm wrong about there being no chance of functional mutliplayer http://www.modacity.net/forums/show...atency-(server-side-hit-detection-correction)
VX9tK.gif

daedalius

BTB is hurting for a map experience that Invasion maps don’t provide, and Forge Maps aren’t really enough to fill the gap. You know it. We know it. We hear you.

YES, PLEASE YES!

Also, kinda sucks going up against full teams in the TU playlist when you are just with randoms :-/

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
Personally, I like blowing stuff up, so cores go in there. And the plasma over charge go hand in hand with vehicle boarding. The Grunt behaviors I just plain love, makes them much less predictable and more entertaining. And many of my favorite Halo encounters in the series past has involved NPC AI. The vehicle scenes in Halo are so lonely.
I'll agree that this stuff was better in Halo 3, but it went to the crapper with Reach. The predictability of the Grunt behaviors became cheap in Reach, and they would activate the suicide when they got close instead of far away. Fusion coils aren't as predictable and can't be used to sweet advantages like they could in Halo 3. IMO, Halo 3 had the best Campaign gameplay of the series along with Halo 2; and that was because of the great mix of AI, environments, and the sandbox.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Rickenslacker said:

Pretty much my reaction reading the thread linked and damn if they can get that working it will make Halo PC almost perfect. All it would need then would be deadzone setting ability for controllers. lol

The thread sure gets derailed by the end though.

PNut

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
So the needler rifle is so good in 85% bloom.

Yup and it's works fine as a pick-up too. 85% bloom needs to be standard for DMR and pistol for all regular playlists.

senador

Banned
So why do some videos show original CEA assets at 4:3 and others at 16:9? Just different builds or taken from the actual original game? I started to panic (not really) that the original graphics mode was 4:3 in the sound video in the bulletin. This campaign demo from Comic Con shows 16:9 though.

16:9 for original graphics mode please?

Those sounds are awesome BTW. So meaty and deep. I am stoked for this game. I've been preordered for a while now.

Karl2177 said:
I'll agree that this stuff was better in Halo 3, but it went to the crapper with Reach. The predictability of the Grunt behaviors became cheap in Reach, and they would activate the suicide when they got close instead of far away.

Why is this a problem? It actually makes the suicide grunts a threat. In Halo 3, a grunt going suicide was pretty much a free kill, but in Reach, they make for some great "OH SHI-" moments because they do it at moments that actually make sense.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
senador said:
So why do some videos show original CEA assets at 4:3 and others at 16:9? Just different builds or taken from the actual original game? I started to panic (not really) that the original graphics mode was 4:3 in the sound video in the bulletin. This campaign demo from Comic Con shows 16:9 though.

Those sounds are awesome BTW. So meaty and deep. I am stoked for this game. I've been preordered for a while now.
Because the sound effects in Anniversary are all-new we have to capture from the original CE to get those sounds hence the aspect ratio change.

Classic graphics are 16x9 and high resolution in CEA.

senador said:

That footage is most likely taken from original CE and not Anniversary. You see how those scenes have the old HUD? All the CEA footage we've seen so far shows the new HUD even when in classic mode. Has it been confirmed that CEA has both classic and new audio files? Maybe it only has the new ones no matter which graphics you're using so they had to record footage from CE.

Edit: Beaten. Darn.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
lybertyboy said:
Because the sound effects in Anniversary are all-new we have to capture from the original CE to get those sounds hence the aspect ratio change.

Hey David while still around is the graphics glitch with the shotgun mentioned in the thread fixed or still in the game?

senador

Banned
lybertyboy said:

Cool thanks. I wasn't sure how those were being recorded. I thought maybe you guys were turning the original sound back in the options then reloading, but I just now remembered that was for music only and not effects. Did this feature make it in to the game?

Barrow, I didn't think to check the HUD like that. Thanks.

Tunavi said:
Not liking Zero Bloom. I want to try 50% bloom.

Wha? I thought your were a fan?

Havok

Tunavi said:
Not liking Zero Bloom. I want to try 50% bloom.
I agree. ZB doesn't interact well with the rest of what Reach is. I generally like 85, since it's a more consistent Reach experience (which I enjoy for what it is), but a larger sampling would be nice.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
PsychoRaven said:
Hey David while still around is the graphics glitch with the shotgun mentioned in the thread fixed or still in the game?
I've never seen that particular issue in any build until that clip.

I'm looking into it.

FyreWulff

I wouldn't doubt someone missed the shotgun clipping because it's way out in the overscan zone.

edit: for the record, Halo 2 stopped rendering water in the right-side overscan area.

edit2: red area is the overscan area, everything not red is the "safe zone" or "safe title area":

lMLUL.jpg

The new weapon sounds sound good. And I really like the graphic of Halo: CEA. I know that Saber did the graphic, but I'm still excited for Halo 4. They have to beat this level, and I know they will. :) Damn. Did anyone catch the unknown tune at the end of comparison? Nice tease.

GhaleonEB said:
m0dus officially on board for the CEA OT art. w00t
Awesome! Do you plan to implant a timeline or a 10th anniversary Halo section? :)

Homeboyd said:
What happens in 10 days!

learnmegaf
Because no one didn't answer your question yet. I'll give you the fruit of wisdom, my dear son. On October 15th bs angel, Dan Ayoub and Kevin Grace will enter the stage and let the campaign levels dicuss. Find out, why Mission 02: Halo thinks that Mission 01: Pillar Of Autumn is an asshole, or why everyone is hating Mission 06: 343 Guilty Spark.
I'm really trying to be funny sometime, but I fail the whole time. Sorry!

Otherwise there will be a Halo CEA Campaign Discussion at New York Comic-Con.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
edit: for the record, Halo 2 stopped rendering water in the right-side overscan area.
That always annoys me on the beach in Outskirts when I go back.
xxjuicesxx said:
Zero and 85% throw off the balance of Reach. I also prefer no bleedthrough.
Yeah, bleedthrough is weird. I thought I'd like it (and I kind of do for melee), but losing that audio feedback when you're one shot is jarring.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
That always annoys me on the beach in Outskirts when I go back.

When we were running the Halo 2 LAN at PAX07, it was even more annoying when we played on Relic, since anyone on the right hand quadrants made it really, really obvious.

Top Bottom