• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Homeboyd

Hypertrooper said:
Because no one didn't answer your question yet. I'll give you the fruit of wisdom, my dear son. On October 15th bs angel, Dan Ayoub and Kevin Grace will enter the stage and let the campaign levels dicuss. Find out, why Mission 02: Halo thinks that Mission 01: Pillar Of Autumn is an asshole, or why everyone is hating Mission 06: 343 Guilty Spark.
I'm really trying to be funny sometime, but I fail the whole time. Sorry!

Otherwise there will be a Halo CEA Campaign Discussion at New York Comic-Con.
Thanks broseph!

Looking forward to it.

PooBone

Letters said:
Vehicle boarding is the only improvement that ever surfaced and that I wouldn't mind they introducing to CE, everything else is just worthless
Ghost controls and boost. I adore the ghost in every game except the first.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
xxjuicesxx said:
I liked the games we played today but have several comments.

-I don't like the fact the pistol is actually stronger than an DMR. Thats just dumb, it makes no sense.
-ZBZ messed up the balance that Bungie worked hard on, whether you like it or not its really there, the timings are just off for a lot of things because of the increased speed of kills
-I guess I've just grown into Reach and wanted changes next game.
-85% or maybe a little lower is what the Final TU playlist should be.
-Grown too used to shields popping as a signal of you're about to die, with the bleedthrough melees and headshots you forget about that stuff or just don't know when in a quick DMR battle.
-Way too many shitty objectives in that TU Beta. Shishka hard at work huh? Hire Juices.
-I fucking dong in that thing Regardless of Bloom/Lo/No-Bloom.

Thing is, I felt it was balanced very well. At long range to mid the DMR demolishes the pistol, but at close range the pistol wins due to quickness of fire.

I do agree that both the DMR and pistol should take maybe one more shot to kill though.

Also, I played Countdown in like 4 of my 8 games last night and all it turned into was someone owning with the sword. Not sure I like that. In Halo 3 it was fine because you couldn't sprint with the sword.

Homeboyd

Did Ellis ever mention anything else about the cR jackpots he teased yesterday? I figured something would be mentioned in the update since he said "funny you should mention that" a few hours before the bulletin released.

Karl2177

Thagomizer said:
Why is this a problem? It actually makes the suicide grunts a threat. In Halo 3, a grunt going suicide was pretty much a free kill, but in Reach, they make for some great "OH SHI-" moments because they do it at moments that actually make sense.
Because it's cheap. It's like the kid that says "I'm not playing" when you get close enough to tag him. Bullshit.

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
2qv8vms.png

Still think 780p is a bit weird lol
30p more? I'm a write a angry letter!

Edit: I made a stupid joke. wat.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Invasion warped Halo. It interfered ruinously in Big Team's development. We get maps like Spire and Boneyard that play like maps from entirely different games hacked into a Halo Big Team environment. Want to play Big Team on Spire? No one does. We get these huge open levels where 60% of the actual environments go unused and ignored. It's horrible to think that Reach's unique BTB maps sit alongside Valhalla, Headlong, Sidewinder/Avalanche, and Blood Gulch/Coagulation as part of Halo's legacy. We're stuck with them like an unwanted, ugly and annoying cousin that comes to stay over and overstays his welcome. And you hate him And he knows this. Yet he keeps coming back. Again and again. Why won't he leave?
I think this is the most important point. Infection is a game type, which can be worked up in Forge and dropped into any map. Griffball requires a flat space, hammers and a bomb.

Invasion requires enormous maps built just for it, unique among all of Halo's game types, ever. And Reach clearly didn't have the resources to spare. It's apparent that Invasion's gain was BTB's loss, and we're still not recovered from that decision. For the benefit of one game type, we lost out on good CTF, Assault, 1-Flag, 1-Bomb and Slayer in a BTB setting.

I'm not against Invasion as a concept returning, but were it to do so, I hope it is in one of two ways. The first is properly resourced, with a development thought process that first asks whether including it would damage any of the other core game types or maps needed to support them. If the answer is yes, pitch it.

The other is to reimagine it as a free form game type that lets you string others together in phases, which is really what Invasion's contribution to things is. Add a game type that lets us have Phase 1, Phase 2, etc. with the ability to string game types together (Phase 2: CTF) and you basically have Invasion (which is just 1-bomb, 1-flag, and Territories strung together, after all). Build that out as a game type option. It would be neat, if the resources existed for it. But it's nothing that needs entire maps built just for it.

Turning the Grifball and Living Dead playlists into weekend-only is a bad idea.

If you remove a playlist like Team Slayer, most of those players will go into Squad Battle and improve that population because it's a similar setup. But if you remove Living Dead, where do those players go? They aren't all going to flock to a single playlist, so the benefit to population really isn't going to be significant.

Besides, there's a good chance that removing Grifball or Living Dead will just drive those players to another game entirely. Grifball could very well be the only reason some people still play Reach.

-------
I'm surprised we haven't seen a DLC map that caters to Living Dead players.

Call of Duty does this with entire map packs. Ours wouldn't have to be exclusive to the zombie gametype or even start that way:
1. Build a small 1-flag map like High Ground.
2. Give it a dark, spooky setting. The 343GS swamp would be a good theme.
3. ???
4. Profit

Risen

xxjuicesxx said:
I liked the games we played today but have several comments.

-I don't like the fact the pistol is actually stronger than an DMR. Thats just dumb, it makes no sense.
-ZBZ messed up the balance that Bungie worked hard on, whether you like it or not its really there, the timings are just off for a lot of things because of the increased speed of kills
-I guess I've just grown into Reach and wanted changes next game.
-85% or maybe a little lower is what the Final TU playlist should be.
-Grown too used to shields popping as a signal of you're about to die, with the bleedthrough melees and headshots you forget about that stuff or just don't know when in a quick DMR battle.
-Way too many shitty objectives in that TU Beta. Shishka hard at work huh? Hire Juices.
-I fucking dong in that thing Regardless of Bloom/Lo/No-Bloom.

For me... I've loved zero bloom. Just as another view on some of the points above:

- I love the pistol in my hands. It brings back memories of CE. The game plays faster with it, which is a good thing IMO. The answer to the "doesn't make sense" is to have it a starting weapon or a pickup power weapon, then it makes sense.

- I think the options offered mess up the balance... the pistol as secondary being the chief issue. Needle rifles on maps as power weapons works...

- Bleed through is great IMO. Sure I forget about it sometimes, and die - but we've played vanilla Reach (and slower Halo in general) for years. People forget how fast you could die in HCE and H2 - and it was glorious. You actually get penalized for bad decisions. It simultaneously means team shot wrecks and you are more dangerous individually due to the kill time - assuming skill to headshot.

- 85% is functionally no different than full bloom - for me. Granted... I play on a high latency connection with a low upload... so that skews the experience for me. It does play marginally faster (as now everyone spams with fewer pacing moments). But it really doesn't offer the game play I crave, where ZB comes much much closer to the Halo I'd like to be playing.

- I think the biggest issue for me is inertia and slow movement speed... they are magnified when coupled with ZB.

In the end though - if it's ZB with slow movement and heavy inertia - I'll enjoy that much more than anything with bloom. Particularly if in the final playlist update things are looked at like: pistol primary, or pickups.

Louis Wu

Blinding said:
Through the rock? No. And had I not evaded out from behind it I'm sure he would've landed a shot on me. Had I not of had evade I don't think I would've gotten that, unless the kid was that bad.
Not sure I even get where you're coming from, here.

99% of players (more?) would have missed that snipe - hell, YOU probably would have missed that snipe in 10 other tries. Evade didn't get you the kill, and Evade didn't necessarily even save your life - in fact, it nearly killed you by moving you that close to his grenade. You got that kill by making a really, really hard shot (moving that fast, sideways, and STILL no-scoping a guy is something very few people pull off). He had a DMR - had you not come that far out, the grenade blast wouldn't have stripped your shields, and his shots wouldn't have had a chance to kill you before you sniped him normally.

(Unless, of course, I'm missing something obvious. :) )

I honestly think its time for halo to split into a 2 disc game, Campaign And Multiplayer. If you had both installed on the HDD 1 disc could launch everything but the extra dev cost and time to fill two the updated disc format would be more than worth it. Halo multiplayer can get all the attention it deserves and ship with a much larger map count and the Campaign can flourish as it needs to with expansion open environments and a +5 hour story.

Blinding

Louis Wu said:
Not sure I even get where you're coming from, here.

I figure that if I didn't have evade, I wouldn't have been able to move out from behind the rock fast enough to get into a position to even be able to pull that off, if that makes sense. I feel that if I didn't have evade and had attempted to still kill him, he would've gotten off the easy headshot no problem, and that because of evades fast movement it turned a situation where I probably should've been killed into one where I lived.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
OuterWorldVoice said:
This is ow you say? Ah yes. Ze nonsense.

No! Really? Everyone should have known it was. It comes up every damn year at this time. It never fails to.

While here remind David that he's doing some looking into the whole shotgun situation today. lol

Is there a one-stop place where I can find out everything Halo CEA does for Reach's multiplayer? I'm a big Halo fan, but couldn't stand Reach and dropped it alongside all my friends. Terrible maps, bloom, armor lock abuse, Invasion fucking up BtB; it was a sad state of affairs. I hear a lot of conflicting reports like 85% bloom or zero bloom or some old maps or new maps or whatever.

Can you help an old Halo player out?

FyreWulff

I'll write a longer post about this on HBO, but the gist of my opinion on the TU Beta playlist SO FAR, while I still plan to collect more games in it:

- Damage bleedthrough makes dying feel frustrating, because you just suddenly die. Out of nowhere.

- It replaces double melee with spray + melee. You only need to burst the AR quickly then melee for a kill. While it makes sense for Classic modes to emulate Halo 1 and Halo 2, in Reach gameplay it breaks the feedback loop. Please take it out of the TU Beta playlist in the next update. Especially when the combat sandbox for Reach was built around the shield's eating the damage and blowing away.

- The Needle Rifle was entirely designed around bloom, and it shows. Remove this weapon from the bloom changes.

- Crouching with the DMR effectively removes bloom in 85%. Normal firing feels like a change for the sake of a change, without really understanding the purpose of bloom in the first place. It makes sense now why they only dropped it by 15%, it's due to the fact that anything more past that point would definitely make crouch shots bloomless.

- If 343 didn't like bloom, what they should have done is lock the firing rate to the bloomless rate we could already do. In this way, the DMR and Pistol would retain their positions in the sandbox and wouldn't throw the Reach combat sandbox into the disarray that Zero Bloom currently does. ESPECIALLY with that Pistol. I warned against this and was called out by both Frankie and Ellis that I was assuming things, and then the gametypes come out and neither weapon is RoF locked which was the entire problem I had with the bloomless DMR shown in the initial video, in that a DMR was firing at the shipping RoF with no bloom, not the fact that it had no bloom itself.

The whole point of bloom in Reach was to let the players shoot faster than the normal optimal cadence at the cost of accuracy. If you want a spreadless weapon to work in a video game, you need to do one of two things:

1) Lock it's firing rate to be slow enough to not be a super weapon
2) Implement a bloom mechanic to have a balanced gun but then let the player shoot a bit faster

So instead of a bloomless DMR that would work in Reach's sandbox (ie one at the pre-existing nobloom RoF), we get what feels half hearted attempt at porting the Halo 2 sandbox into Reach. And then there's the Pistol, which I believe someone in this thread or on HBO said that the 3 shot kill on the Anniversary version feels like more of a formality than anything else.

The Active Camo and Armor Lock changes are so miniscule that I consider them non-factors. We tested the Active Camo from TU gametype to Vanilla and could get about the same distance across Asylum crouch walking, plus or minus a WU.

85% and Bleedthrough need to definitely stay off over in other playlists. Zero bloom is a specialty gametype but it should have been done with RoF locking. If you're going to change the Reach sandbox change the ENTIRE sandbox so that everything still works together. All the TU changes do is slow the game down (as monkey said, Turtle Slayer once people figure out crouching kills your bloom and get ahold of a Needle Rifle), and make it a silly idea to use anything other than the Pistol in the Zero Bloom gametypes, much less the DMR.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm not against Invasion as a concept returning, but were it to do so, I hope it is in one of two ways. The first is properly resourced, with a development thought process that first asks whether including it would damage any of the other core game types or maps needed to support them. If the answer is yes, pitch it.

The other is to reimagine it as a free form game type that lets you string others together in phases, which is really what Invasion's contribution to things is. Add a game type that lets us have Phase 1, Phase 2, etc. with the ability to string game types together (Phase 2: CTF) and you basically have Invasion (which is just 1-bomb, 1-flag, and Territories strung together, after all). Build that out as a game type option. It would be neat, if the resources existed for it. But it's nothing that needs entire maps built just for it.
This.

My biggest gripes with Invasion are:
1. Poor map design/versatility.
2. Invasion spawning (and bro spawning).
3. Maps not resetting between phases.

I'd much prefer an "Invasion" gametype that just strings together 3 objective rounds per team:
- Use BTB maps. Headlong looks like a good example. Big asymmetrical maps built for 1-flag. Different phases can still use smaller portions of the map.
- Keep the normal spawning rules from objective gametypes.
- Use discrete rounds that reset players when the map shifts, I don't like how easy it is for the attackers on Spire to get to the Round 3 objective before the defenders can.

Keep the Spartans vs. Elites theme if you want, but I wouldn't bother with the voiceovers and hovering Phantoms/Pelicans. Those seem unnecessary and just add to a map's file size and framerate problems. I hope Halo 4 doesn't have Loadouts at all, but having them in Invasion only would be tolerable (as long as it doesn't eat up dev time).

OuterWorldVoice said:
This is ow you say? Ah yes. Ze nonsense.
Whew, I was worried. Master Chief would have had a hard time battling the Covenant armed only with a walkie talkie.

(To be fair, Spielberg has admitted his mistake. Unlike Lucas.)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Is there a one-stop place where I can find out everything Halo CEA does for Reach's multiplayer? I'm a big Halo fan, but couldn't stand Reach and dropped it alongside all my friends. Terrible maps, bloom, armor lock abuse, Invasion fucking up BtB; it was a sad state of affairs. I hear a lot of conflicting reports like 85% bloom or zero bloom or some old maps or new maps or whatever.

Can you help an old Halo player out?

TU just hit Reach preparing the way for CEA, it means CEA Reach playlists will feature "classic" gameplay, like 3 shot to kill pistol and no bloom but vanilla Reach gameplay will be there if you choose to play it. You can try out some of the new TU tweaks right now with the TU Beta hoppers online now for a sneak peak including Zero-Bloom Slayer.

CEA features six classic Halo maps- Headlong, Hang Em High, Prisnor, Beaver Creek, Dammnation and Timberland. Each map will have two versions, Original and Updated, giving you the chance to experience the original layouts and slightly tweaked and updated layouts.

CEA also features a new Firefight map - Installation 04, based on the second level from Halo (the marine rescue point with the huge cliff). It has a new feature - friendly AI that fight alongside you (ODST troops) unique to the new map.

ZB is fine. It plays infinity better than normal Reach.

We just need faster movement (for strafe), high jump (to help with nades) and the pistol to be a pick-up and not a starting weapon.

NR is fine in ZB, but is really sick in 85% gametypes.

Bleed-through is great, it lets you win fights you should win and takes away the herp-a-derp.

AL is still annoying but not nearly as bad as before.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
I think this is the most important point. Infection is a game type, which can be worked up in Forge and dropped into any map. Griffball requires a flat space, hammers and a bomb.

Invasion requires enormous maps built just for it, unique among all of Halo's game types, ever. And Reach clearly didn't have the resources to spare. It's apparent that Invasion's gain was BTB's loss, and we're still not recovered from that decision. For the benefit of one game type, we lost out on good CTF, Assault, 1-Flag, 1-Bomb and Slayer in a BTB setting.

Or they could design maps for Invasion, but have them be separated for individual maps. Almost like a Forge World idea. Forge World has what, 7 unique zones? None of them can be strung together very well and have an Invasion experience. If you could string together 2-3 sections and have each section retain its ability to play as an MP map, then I think that would be a fine alternative as well. Note: These structures and such for the phases would be pre-designed not Forged.

Dani said:
CEA features six classic Halo maps- Headlong, Hang Em High, Prisnor, Beaver Creek, Dammnation and Timberland.

yhp2V.gif

I think that brings the Reach total of good maps from 0 to 6(well, that Ivory Tower remake wasn't bad, just had crappy Reach gameplay on top of it)

The Real Napsta said:
Zealot is a good map. But then again it is a lot like Derelict/Desolation

It be good if the spawns weren't fucked up.

Watching some Zero Bloom video, wow that Pistol is...really good now. And its a starter weapon? LOL I bet the Needler Rifle is a beast now.

I'm gonna be so happy to play this game without those bland looking Forge variants

The Real Napsta said:
ZB is fine. It plays infinity better than normal Reach.

We just need faster movement (for strafe), high jump (to help with nades) and the pistol to be a pick-up and not a starting weapon.

NR is fine in ZB, but is really sick in 85% gametypes.

Bleed-through is great, it lets you win fights you should win and takes away the herp-a-derp.

AL is still annoying but not nearly as bad as before.
Agreed. The one thing the TU is not supposed to be is vanilla reach. These changes are awesome :)

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Who are these strange people that vote for 1 Flag CTF on Boardwalk? I would like to observe their habits.

Actually, this might be the only gametype that works on this map.

StalkerUKCG said:
I honestly think its time for halo to split into a 2 disc game, Campaign And Multiplayer. If you had both installed on the HDD 1 disc could launch everything but the extra dev cost and time to fill two the updated disc format would be more than worth it. Halo multiplayer can get all the attention it deserves and ship with a much larger map count and the Campaign can flourish as it needs to with expansion open environments and a +5 hour story.

I don't think the problem is disk space, mate.

The new GameInformer will have a 343i Studio visit article:
Beyond our exclusive look at Fall of Cybertron, the November issue of Game Informer has a visit to 343 Industries (the new stewards of the Halo franchise), a peek behind the curtain of one of gaming's biggest publishers in our uncensored history of Ubisoft, and brand new details on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim through our extensive new hands-on feature. Plus, previews of Assassin's Creed Revelations, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and Twisted Metal deliver the latest must-read news. And just how good is Batman: Arkham City? Our full review is finally here.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-revealed-transformers-fall-of-cybertron.aspx

Booshka

Blinding said:
I figure that if I didn't have evade, I wouldn't have been able to move out from behind the rock fast enough to get into a position to even be able to pull that off, if that makes sense. I feel that if I didn't have evade and had attempted to still kill him, he would've gotten off the easy headshot no problem, and that because of evades fast movement it turned a situation where I probably should've been killed into one where I lived.
You're right, Evade is OP, here is a play I pulled off a little while ago that shows how ridiculous it is. It was also an amazing snipe, but Evade made it possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDb2wfii3dE

Blinding

Wow, half the people in the beta playlist have to be brain dead, ZB Slayer pops up with two options, Uncaged and Zealot. They vote for Uncaged.

Blinding said:
Wow, half the people in the beta playlist have to be brain dead, ZB Slayer pops up with two options, Uncaged and Zealot. They vote for Uncaged.

We never asked for this.

LLTP, but I've been playing Deus Ex:HR lately. Love it. I wish they had Sarif Industries branded merc in the Eidos store. I'd buy the shit out of a Sarif baseball cap.

Ramirez

Looking at my Bungie stats, wow I only played 378 games of Reach before I called it quit. That's sad in the face of thousands of Halo 3 games(and THOUSANDS of Halo 2). Goddamn you, Reach.

All I need is a Classic playlist for 4v4 Slayer/Objective, and a decent BTB playlist that isn't all crappy Invasion maps and ugly Forge Variants, and I'll be back in business.

Havok said:
I will never understand how that decision was made.

Didn't Shishka add that under his watch?

Though the state of objective games in Reach is especially weird since Jeremiah made the amazing Team Skirmish playlist in H2. Excuse me whilst I go off and reminisce about how much fun that was.

Top Bottom