• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

feel

With the movie so far off, I'd love for whoever did the ODST and Reach comercials to be tasked with delivering random short videos from the Halo universe a few times a year.

Letters said:
With the movie so far off, I'd love for whoever did the ODST and Reach comercials to be tasked with delivering random short videos from the Halo universe a few times a year.

Agreed.

I also would love to see a Live Action ad for CEA. I know its not as big as Reach/3/ODST, but its the anniversary and deserves special treatment. I would love to see Halo's aesthetics brought to life in live action..

kylej

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
The 2011 version of "pwn", gotcha.

And I'm on the "bk random"/"tryhard", I play Gears of War, that's a lot of that shit

Ew. GoW kids are using "BK"? How dare they tarnish it.

daedalius

Ugh, why do people quit out at the start of matches in the TU playlist all the time.

They don't even wait to see if the team they are on is losing, they just quit immediately. So aggravating.

Shooting bleedthrough seems super random, but I like it for melee. Also liking ZB a bit more, just not the pistol as much. That thing is a death machine in ZB, but then its fine in 85%.

Evade seems like you roll way too far, if it was more like GoW/Space Marine, I think it would be fine... but you can get halfway across Asylum with it.

feel

Demoncarnotaur said:
I also would love to see a Live Action ad for CEA. I know its not as big as Reach/3/ODST, but its the anniversary and deserves special treatment. I would love to see Halo's aesthetics brought to life in live action..
OMFG YES

Installation 04.. *drools*

Steelyuhas said:
There are a handful of other video game IP's that have just as much potential in a film or TV form as Halo does.
I can't think of any. God of War? MGS? Zelda? Mario? Gears? Uncharted (maybe, but not as much)? BioShock?

MrBig

The only way I see Halo as making it in the cinema is in a mini-series form. Movies get nothing done and TV shows degrade stories in order to elongate what little content there is.

Pennybags

Dax01 said:
Halo's the only videogame franchise that could work as a movie. Or a TV show.

Off the top of my head, Deus Ex, Uncharted, and God of War could easily be adapted into enjoyable films or series.

Deus Ex would make a great television series through its large amounts of world building and TV-friendly conspiracy plots.

Uncharted would work well as either a standalone film or series due to its similarity to a classic action-adventure serial.

God of War would be a fun film with the right treatment.

I feel Halo could be a good movie, but it would take serious work to to pull off a successful television series that makes good use of what people expect when thinking of the franchise.

Dax01 said:
I can't think of any. God of War? MGS? Zelda? Mario? Gears? Uncharted (maybe, but not as much)? BioShock?

I think God of War, Bioshock, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, and maybe Gears have just as much film potential as Halo does.

Dax01 said:
What is giving you the idea that the Halo franchise has a worthy TV/movie presence? Because as far as the games present themselves, it could be just about any other FPS or series. In terms of the backstory given to the universe through books and shorts and whatever else, you could supplement any other series through outside means as well.

And I mean, Uncharted is god damn Indiana Jones!

Blinding said:
Yes.

Holy shit member status out of nowhere.
Fyrewulff am cry. I think he actually was junior'd somewhere down the line because he should be member by now.

What bugs me is that the Reach campaign and about half a campaign level give us the idea of Reach as a planet bursting with life. That one cutscene with all of the UNSC forces seems to outnumber any civilian life the player is aware of on Reach :p

Halo has a far broader appeal than all of those. It's essentially this generation's Star Wars in videogame form. It's not just any other FPS series. MC is as iconic as Mario (almost at least).

Dax01 said:
Halo has a far broader appeal than all of those. It's essentially this generation's Star Wars in videogame form.
Um, no.

Mass Effect is a lot closer to that and even then I really don't like the phrase "this generation's Star Wars."

Dax01 said:
Halo has a far broader appeal than all of those. It's essentially this generation's Star Wars in videogame form. It's not just any other FPS series. MC is as iconic as Mario (almost at least).
If the factor we're gauging is popularity, then any of the regular blockbuster game titles are equally appropriate for movie/show adaptation.

Dax01 said:
Mass Effect in technical terms may be more like Star Wars, but in terms of public knowledge and impact? It's no Halo.

Dax, I think you need to cut your losses and make a tactical retreat.

BTW, Plywood, have you started reading Shogun yet?

Rickenslacker said:
If the factor we're gauging is popularity, then any of the regular blockbuster game titles are equally appropriate for movie/show adaptation.
I'm calling it now: Angry Birds is this generation's Star Wars. Dat popularity and cultural impact.

Thagomizer said:
I'm not seeing anything to change my opinion. I think Halo has a better capacity for movies and TV shows than any other videogame franchise, you may disagree, but whatever.

Edit:
Barrow Roll said:
I'm calling it now: Angry Birds is this generation's Star Wars. Dat popularity and cultural impact.
Oh please. That's obviously not what I was getting at.

Dax01 said:
I'm not seeing anything to change my opinion. I think Halo has a better capacity for movies and TV shows than any other videogame franchise, you may disagree, but whatever.

To be clear you said that Halo was the only franchise that could work as a film or TV show. I think that's what everyone was in such disagreement about, including myself.

Dax01 said:

Edit:

How can a protagonist with more guns than words possibly make for a movie more so than, say, Sheppard who has faaaaaaaaar more words than guns?

Dax01 said:

Edit:

Alright, I'll bite. What makes Halo better for such than, say, Deus Ex, especially considering that the vast majority of the public only really cares about the multiplayer and knows pretty much nothing about the fiction besides that you play as a dude called "Master Chief" and some of the enemies talk funny?

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Dax01 said:

You like 4v4 Tempest, your opinion is moot.

But seriously, I can think of some other franchises that would work well in TV/Film. GTA would work well.

Steelyuhas said:
To be clear you said that Halo was the only franchise that could work as a film or TV show. I think that's what everyone was in such disagreement about, including myself.
Oh. Whoops. Typo! Didn't mean that.

Edit: My apologies to everyone.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Judderman said:
You like 4v4 Tempest, your opinion is moot.

But seriously, I can think of some other franchises that would work well in TV/Film. GTA would work well.
No doubt Mark Wahlberg would somehow be the lead in it.
Devolution said:
Found your problem.
True enough, still makes me:

ajdqo.gif

Thagomizer said:

BTW, Plywood, have you started reading Shogun yet?
I've completely forgot. :[

I've been swamped with a billion other things. Gonna throw it near the top of the list though.

With the on disc DLC fiasco with gears of war 3 im getting worried something might be in halo's future, Im curious as to how much impact Microsoft have on such things, if i remember bungie said the preorder content for halo 3 was at the request of microsoft?

That being the case can they not just request that 343 make 2 maps+ 20 armor items and have them locked and require a DLC unlock key?

If anyone from 343 is able to talk on the matter id appriciate it but i doubt thats going to happen.

TL:DR Halo is M$ flagship title can they force 343 to make ON Disc Locked DLC, and do you think they will?

Woorloog

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
With the on disc DLC fiasco with gears of war 3 im getting worried something might be in halo's future, Im curious as to how much impact Microsoft have on such things, if i remember bungie said the preorder content for halo 3 was at the request of microsoft?

That being the case can they not just request that 343 make 2 maps+ 20 armor items and have them locked and require a DLC unlock key?

If anyone from 343 is able to talk on the matter id appriciate it but i doubt thats going to happen.

TL:DR Halo is M$ flagship title can they force 343 to make ON Disc Locked DLC, and do you think they will?
This happens for Halo 4, i'm out. Unless the game brings something fresh (for Halo, grab weapon customization from Crysis) to the gameplay, has good campaign with good story telling, good maps (like Halo 2) and most importanty dedicated servers. If those happen, i can forgive on disc DLC.
Oh and the campaign and multiplayer must be free of frame rate drops. Another big fault in Reach. I don't care if it is 30, as long as it is solid 30.

EDIT, in case of on disc DLC and/or other faults, i'll get Halo 4 from sale or as used when it is under €20.

Top Bottom