• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

StalkerUKCG said:
TL:DR Halo is M$ flagship title can they force 343 to make ON Disc Locked DLC, and do you think they will?
I hope MS doesn't do that. That would be terrible. I don't think Frankie and crew would let that happen if they could.

And for those asking me to explain my views of Halo having a greater capacity than every other videogame franchise.

I think Halo has the greatest capacity out of any franchise for movies and TV shows because of its 100,000+ year timespan to play around, and it can approach the scale the likes of which we haven't seen in movies since the Battle of Endor in Episode VI, and the brief Borg battle in First Contact. You can make the movie/TV show about so many things and make it completely Halo: set during the Human-Covenant War, when the UNSC was on the verge of civil war (human vs human), go all the way back to the Forerunners vs. the Flood, the early conflicts on Earth before slipspace travel...so many things.

I guess you can argue that all of that is true for Mass Effect, but since it's not as popular as Halo, it'd be harder to get off the ground.

stephen08

There are a bunch of different properties that could be made in to a TV/movie project and do well. The issue isn't so much the versatility of the property but rather the talent of the people that adapt it. The mistake is assuming the adaptation will conform to the game itself. It's no coincidence that the worst Halo novel is the one that retells the first game and thus shares it's narrative structure.Once that jump is made, it no longer matters as much what the game itself does with it's story since an adaption shouldn't look to follow that too closely anyway.

A BioShock movie that retells the first game wouldn't turn out well since you derive enjoyment from poking around the world. But a TV series that chronicles the rise and fall of Rapture has the potential to be very compelling. It's all in how you adapt it.

That being said, I certainly think Halo is one of the most flexible IPs out there for adaption simply due to the richness of it's world.

EDIT: Another thing to consider is that initial popularity only plays so much of a role. If an adaption is done well then it can take the franchise to new heights (see Sin City, Walking Dead).

kylej

Banned
stephen08 said:
The issue isn't so much the versatility of the property but rather the talent of the people that adapt it. The mistake is assuming the adaptation will conform to the game itself.

They'll just have to adapt harder.

Havok

Stockpile's back in Objective...on symmetric maps.

A bright ray of playlist management hope is poking through the clouds.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Shut it, Xbot
:lol

I'm getting on now. Let's frolic gaily amongst the corpses of our enemies. GT = popular revolt.

Merguson

Banned
I don't see how Halo would work as a TV show at all.

The budget would be astronomical and science-fiction shows don't generally do well on the major networks at all.

That's just me though.

EDIT: I suppose the name could attract viewers but I think it would just be destined to fail.

Merguson said:
I don't see how Halo would work as a TV show at all.

The budget would be astronomical and science-fiction shows don't generally do well on the major networks at all.

That's just me though.

EDIT: I suppose the name could attract viewers but I think it would just be destined to fail.

It will just be this.

Master-Chief-Lego.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
Everyone should play Dark Souls and cleanse themselves of Reach.

Fuck that. If you hate Reach, play SCII. I suck at it but man it's fucking fun. I'm trying to find a build order that works for me, trying out new shit. I'm having a lot of fun. After the MLG event next week I'll definitely be putting more time into it.

RBK

Banned
StalkerUKCG said:
With the on disc DLC fiasco with gears of war 3 im getting worried something might be in halo's future, Im curious as to how much impact Microsoft have on such things, if i remember bungie said the preorder content for halo 3 was at the request of microsoft?

That being the case can they not just request that 343 make 2 maps+ 20 armor items and have them locked and require a DLC unlock key?

If anyone from 343 is able to talk on the matter id appriciate it but i doubt thats going to happen.

TL:DR Halo is M$ flagship title can they force 343 to make ON Disc Locked DLC, and do you think they will?
What's the difference of this and holding DLC back just to charge a extra 10 for it?

feel

Ramirez said:
Everyone should play Dark Souls and cleanse themselves of Reach.
I have a sealed Collectors Edition copy. Reading the official thread makes me never want to open it up because I'm not man enough for it. :lol

I'll get to it someday after I get through some other games I bought first
if I can muster the courage

My queue is enormous and I'm still on Deus Ex HR! It's kind of a good thing that they completely fucked up Crysis on the console (you can only walk, not run/jog, when not in Sprint mode.. so you're either going extremely fast, or super slow, WTF!! Yeah, imagine Reach's clunkyness with having sprint mixed up with slow normal movement, but 10 times worse) so that's something less on my queue.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone remember the community map "Punishment" from Halo 3?
Well wishes to its creator, Deathpimp. He's been in the hospital since monday.

It's pretty gnarly how much the bungie community has become a part of my life.
TWP for life.

GhaleonEB

I was unable to get a decent connection in my many attempts at Firefight Doubles tonight, so no Thursday Challenges for me, alas. Not sure what was up, but it was horrific input lag in every one, which I won't play with. Whittling down the docks on Deus Ex had to suffice for the night.

FyreWulff

can they force 343 to make ON Disc Locked DLC, and do you think they will?

In most if not all cases, your publisher decides when and how your DLC is released and for how much. Which is why the Bungie/Activision deal is monumental that Bungie gets to decide price and timing on their game.

Of course, the developer can attempt to put their foot down about some things, but it depends on how much sway they have on the publisher's management and how much money they've made for the publisher.

Microsoft made Bungie sit on DLC for almost 2 years (all the Mythic Maps were supposed to be part of a "Mythic Collection" for release in fall 2008 right after PAX, and the last ones didn't hit the public marketplace until February 2010) just so they could have something to upsell other Halo titles. Bungie couldn't acknowledge the existence of maps that were specifically named in the achievements from TU2 in September 2008.

Then we look at Halo Wars, which we can assume is entirely Microsoft controlled since they disbanded the original developer. The DLC has never gotten a permanent price drop and one of them is an unlock key. The DLC is 20$, and the game comes NEW for 30$, and it includes both the DLC as codes.

Johnson being pre-order only sounded like something MS wanted.

The Grunt Funeral Skull for Anniversary being pre-order only sounds like something MS would do. And I'm actually quite annoyed at that since it's actual gameplay, and not a skin/cosmetic like ODST and Reach's preorder stuff. It's stupid that something that actually changes gameplay will just be unavailable for people that didn't preorder the game. We'll have a split SLASO community from people that can turn everything but Grunt Funeral on and people that can include Grunt Funeral in SLASO runs. Know what would have been a good preorder bonus? The ability to unlock the Halo 1 nameplate in Reach.

At least Bungie didn't rub it in your face if you didn't get any exclusive unlocks. None of the pre-order only stuff from Gamestop shows up in your armory as locked away, the new-copy only Recon doesn't show up as locked away, the Legendary Flames don't show up as locked away, and none of them count towards your percentage. If you didn't play the beta, Bungie.net doesn't taunt you with a nameplate you can't unlock. Meanwhile, Gears shows greyed out locked slots for Beta stuff that just sits there, forever unattainable.

So if you want an indication for how Halo 4 DLC is going to go, look at Anniversary's pre-order DLC content.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Fuck that. If you hate Reach, play SCII. I suck at it but man it's fucking fun. I'm trying to find a build order that works for me, trying out new shit. I'm having a lot of fun. After the MLG event next week I'll definitely be putting more time into it.
You finally bought it after complaining to me about its price for months and months?! lol

I haven't played in months, but I'll play with you sometime if you need help.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well I'm trying the BF3 Beta, initial impressions:

• I can't see shit
  • Oh now I can kinda see shit
  • Everyone has better guns than me, (I hate that shit)
  • I have a shotgun now, "boom headshot"
  • Let me play Assault class
  • Oh gawd everyone is owning me with there better guns and camping around corners on the ground
  • Game froze

Trasher

Plywood said:
Well I'm trying the BF3 Beta, initial impressions:

• I can't see shit
  • Oh now I can kinda see shit
  • Everyone has better guns than me, (I hate that shit)
  • I have a shotgun now, "boom headshot"
  • Let me play Assault class
  • Oh gawd everyone is owning me with there better guns and camping around corners on the ground
  • Game froze
feels-good-man-meme.jpg

daedalius

The depths of my hatred for Hemorrhage grow ever deeper after getting it 4 times in a row tonight.

Please after anniversary I never have to play that map again... please?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

The game also seems to carry its fair share of glitches, like three people are under the map.

The framerate slowly degrades.

A fucking player lag ghost.

I just now had to restart the game because it was stuck perpetually loading.

Trasher

Plywood said:

The game also seems to carry its fair share of glitches, like three people are under the map.

The framerate slowly degrades.

A fucking player lag ghost.
I've played it a bit. It's not a good looking game by any means. LOTS of bugs. That's a lot of work to do (not the graphics el oh el) until release.

Plywood said:
Now I just went like 8 kills 0 deaths and got disconnected, awesome!
Has shitty internet.

Blames Game.

I have played the BF3 beta a LOT and haven't disconnected once. As for the hate, not sure where that's coming from. The game looks beautiful and is a blast to play.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I expected a lot better to be honest, since I thought a lot of people liked BC2.

Can't believe the beta is out and the game is coming out at the end of the month. Feels like an Alpha.
Devin Olsen said:
Has shitty internet.

Blames Game.

I have played the BF3 beta a LOT and haven't disconnected once. As for the hate, not sure where that's coming from. The game looks beautiful and is a blast to play.
Yeah. No.

EA Servers dump me out all the time. I can get on any TF2 server and play just fine.

I didn't say the game was ugly either. I said it was hard to see people, at first considering they blend well with the environment.

Also how do you explain the game freezing during play, the framerate crawl and staying stuck loading? Yeah, must be my shitty internet doing all of that!

Sai-kun

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
Has shitty internet.

Blames Game.

Dude, my entire party of 15 or so has gotten disconnected from servers at the same time :lol It's not a nonexistant issue.

FyreWulff

OuterWorldVoice said:
Oh please. Just stop with your 'insider' versions of things.

It wasn't insider. It was posted right on HBO:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/reconclarification.html

SketchFactor: You can't complete the Brainpan achievement until the remaining three maps are released since as you say, it does require finding six skulls. Long ago, all six maps were considered the "Mythic Collection"

Plus the Sandbox variants from internal Bungie efforts had creation timestamps of months before Mythic 1 was even available. One of them as early as November 11th, 2008. Which means the maps were done AND signed for retail eons before they ever even saw public release as an upsell for Halo Wars.

Halo 3 has code in it to recognize Halo 3: Mythic in 1.0, and Halo 3: Mythic was the build they were using to display Assembly at PAX, with Citadel being used for the main menu, and Bungie employees mentioned handing out swag at PAX that referenced Longshore and talked about how long they had been sitting on the maps in their podcast.

They even demo'd all the maps behind the doors. We had a full leak of what all the maps were about a month after PAX08, and all the descriptions of the maps matched to the final versions.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ncsuDuncan said:
I don't venture into the Off-Topic board often, but I'm glad I did today.

Just wanted to make HaloGAF aware of the funniest thread I've seen in a while:

Haunted house takes pics of freaked-out patrons

It also led me to find this old gem:

Creepy Wax Costanza

I think my favorite is the Batman on page two.

Unrelated, but the Noble team statues at HaloFest were awesome. And I'm not just saying that to be on-topic. Honest.

Ok, that was pretty much the best thing of the night.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:

Plus the Sandbox variants from internal Bungie efforts had creation timestamps of months before Mythic 1 was even available. One of them as early as November 11th, 2008. Which means the maps were done AND signed for retail eons before they ever even saw public release as an upsell for Halo Wars.

Halo 3 has code in it to recognize Halo 3: Mythic in 1.0, and Halo 3: Mythic was the build they were using to display Assembly at PAX, with Citadel being used for the main menu, and Bungie employees mentioned handing out swag at PAX that referenced Longshore and talked about how long they had been sitting on the maps in their podcast.

They even demo'd all the maps behind the doors. We had a full leak of what all the maps were about a month after PAX08, and all the descriptions of the maps matched to the final versions.

Is it not possible the maps were built but not completley finished?

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
Is it not possible the maps were built but not completley finished?

Considering the leak talked about the non-elevator version of Citadel, not really. They would have already been cert'd to make sure they unlocked the achievements correctly in TU2.

I know people want to toe the MS PR line but fuck, that wasn't even insider information. It's been publically posted numerous times.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FyreWulff said:

How long maps take to get to market and the idea that Microsoft 'forced' a studio to 'sit' on maps for Two years are not even in the same ballpark. So your inferences and conclusions are off.

Top Bottom