• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Zeouterlimits said:
Yeah, I've been looking at the Glasslands page with curiosity for the past week.

I think the publisher slashed the shipment (to Europe at least, Amazon.com is still offering Day One).
Any word on this Frankie?
It sucks. US book retailers got their Glasslands shipment last week and Amazon.com should've gotten it too. They could ship the number of orders to Europe already. As a guy who loves the whole package of Halo(Fiction, Multiplayer etc), I really can't wait to dig into the book. Especially it comes out during my school break, where I have a lot of time. =( Now I have to avoid every spoiler. Especially the spoilers by Dax.

Doesn't Tor books have a book printer here in Europe? The Gears Of War novels come out with no delay in UK. :(

Letters said:
Halo: Reach |OT7| You're not Ghaleon
Awesome.

ncsuDuncan said:
What if Halo 4 returned to this, but incorporated a form of ATLAS into the game?

ATLAS 2.0

- Accessed by holding, say, D-Pad Down.
- Brings up an overhead layout of the map.
- Current locations of your teammates and their statuses (i.e. blue - safe, yellow - taking fire, red X - trounced)

- Weapon layout on the map.

The weapon icons change to red 20 seconds before they respawn, change to green for the 10 seconds after respawn, then change back to the default black background. The icons don't disappear or change to indicate if someone has picked the weapon up, they only tell you when it is about to respawn (or just respawned). So you won't suddenly see the Rocket Launcher icon disappear and know that an enemy nabbed it, but three minutes later you would see the RL icon change to red then green.

Basically it makes timing weapon spawns easier for casual players. MLG can disable the map view, or maybe just select parts (i.e. show the layout but no player positions or weapon respawns).

- What if you could use screenshots of your Forge creation to make your own map layout for ATLAS 2.0?

When you take the screenshot, the game records the camera coordinates and uses the weapon coordinates to place the icons on the ATLAS map (it also places icons for the Red and Blue flag spawns, which only show up on the map in the appropriate CTF games).
During the game, the system takes player locations and does the required coordinate transformations to put their dots on the map. That, or the map layout tool locks you to certain camera angles to make the coordinate system easier to use (i.e. overhead so you only deal with X and Y translations).

Even without the in-game updates to player locations and weapon respawns, a static map of weapon locations for Forge variants would be really helpful and could be done with a simple stamp tool. (I'm sure the full idea would be insanely complicated to program. I'm just daydreaming here.)
Yesss... I'd love to see an overhead map that can be called up quickly to get a handle on:
Teammate locations
Weapon locations and respawn timers
Objective locations (if your flag is away and dropped, for example, not if the opposing team is sneaking away with it still in their possession)

And it would definitely behoove 343i to have this feature support custom shots from custom mapmakers (it can be part of the new suite of tools in the completely overhauled, Far Cry 2-esque editor)

ncsuDuncan said:
What if Halo 4 returned to this, but incorporated a form of ATLAS into the game?

ATLAS 2.0

- Current locations of your teammates and their statuses (i.e. blue - safe, yellow - taking fire, red X - trounced)

The weapon icons change to red 20 seconds before they respawn, change to green for the 10 seconds after respawn, then change back to the default black background. The icons don't disappear or change to indicate if someone has picked the weapon up, they only tell you when it is about to respawn (or just respawned). So you won't suddenly see the Rocket Launcher icon disappear and know that an enemy nabbed it, but three minutes later you would see the RL icon change to red then green.

Basically it makes timing weapon spawns easier for casual players. MLG can disable the map view, or maybe just select parts (i.e. show the layout but no player positions or weapon respawns).

- What if you could use screenshots of your Forge creation to make your own map layout for ATLAS 2.0?

When you take the screenshot, the game records the camera coordinates and uses the weapon coordinates to place the icons on the ATLAS map (it also places icons for the Red and Blue flag spawns, which only show up on the map in the appropriate CTF games).
During the game, the system takes player locations and does the required coordinate transformations to put their dots on the map. That, or the map layout tool locks you to certain camera angles to make the coordinate system easier to use (i.e. overhead so you only deal with X and Y translations).

Even without the in-game updates to player locations and weapon respawns, a static map of weapon locations for Forge variants would be really helpful and could be done with a simple stamp tool. (I'm sure the full idea would be insanely complicated to program. I'm just daydreaming here.)

My first thought when I saw this was, look, they are testing this for Halo 4

I think Duncan should be the next one to post OT7 by the way, and when Ghaleon gets back we can do Halo GAF: OT1

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
My first thought when I saw this was, look, they are testing this for Halo 4
I really think Microsoft should either

A) Make the next Xbox controller like the WiiU controller
B) Release a "companion" controller that is basically like a WP7 in the controller but only used for companion apps.
(used for 360 and the new system)

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
I really think Microsoft should either

A) Make the next Xbox controller like the WiiU controller
B) Release a "companion" controller that is basically like a WP7 in the controller but only used for companion apps.
(used for 360 and the new system)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The 360 controller is perfect minus the dpad. Don't screw a good thing up I say. Just make the dpad on it more like Sony's and then you have the perfect controller.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The 360 controller is perfect minus the dpad. Don't screw a good thing up I say. Just make the dpad on it more like Sony's and then you have the perfect controller.
Sorry but the WiiU controller destroyed the 360 controller in terms of comfort when I tried it at E3.

Also the screen opens up a lot of options for games that are just not there right now.

wwm0nkey said:
Sorry but the WiiU controller destroyed the 360 controller in terms of comfort when I tried it at E3.

Also the screen opens up a lot of options for games that are just not there right now.

I'm with Monkey.

Throw in some real Analog sticks, and pressure sensitive triggers and you are golden.

wwm0nkey said:

Yeah, but doesn't the WiiU only support one of those controllers at a time? The rest have to be the old Wii-mote if I recall correctly.

I agree with PsychoRaven, the 360 controller is perfect (except for the D-pad, I still haven't tried that silver redesign). Besides, I don't want to shell out $90 every time I want another controller.

A27_StarWolf said:
I think Duncan should be the next one to post OT7 by the way, and when Ghaleon gets back we can do Halo GAF: OT1
I'd certainly be up for it, but I assumed Dani or someone else would inherit that mantle.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, but doesn't the WiiU only support one of those controllers at a time? The rest have to be the old Wii-mote if I recall correctly.

I agree with PsychoRaven, the 360 controller is perfect (except for the D-pad, I still haven't tried that silver redesign). Besides, I don't want to shell out $90 every time I want another controller.

I have the 360 controller with the D-Pad transforming redesign and I like it a lot better than the default D-pad. Also, the analog sticks are better on that controller as well.

ncsuDuncan said:

ATLAS 2.0

I'm all for a quick-read overhead map with just static spawning locations of weapons. Gears does this really well and I'd love for Halo to incorporate this in-or-pre-game somehow.

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:

The 1 controller issue is Nintendo's problem it seems. Sure if Microsoft wanted to they could support up to 4 players.

Also one thing i demand is used next generation, memory within the controller. Would love to just put my profile on the controller and when I go over a friends I can just enter a password and log on, rather than just recover my account for 100 hours.

ncsuDuncan said:

I'd certainly be up for it, but I assumed Dani or someone else would inherit that mantle.

I think they said it can support two, don't be surprised if that number goes up.

I say you should do it. Give someone else a chance.

squidhands said:
I'm all for a quick-read overhead map with just static spawning locations of weapons. Gears does this really well and I'd love for Halo to incorporate this in-or-pre-game somehow.

Does Gears have anything like Forge though, even as simple as a weapon layout editor? Adding the overhead map is easy if the layouts are baked into the game disc, Halo complicates things with the flexibility of moving around spawn locations.

wwm0nkey said:
The 1 controller issue is Nintendo's problem it seems. Sure if Microsoft wanted to they could support up to 4 players.

Also one thing i demand is used next generation, memory within the controller. Would love to just put my profile on the controller and when I go over a friends I can just enter a password and log on, rather than just recover my account for 100 hours.
I'm on the other end of that spectrum - I don't want to be screwed if I forget my controller/memory card at home. I think Cloud-based storage is the future and supposedly the new 360 Dashboard implements a form of that. (should make it easier to recover your profile too, from what I've read)

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:

Now your idea of some small memory within the controller I could get behind. That would be very nice and save the trouble of needing a memory card to carry it around.

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm on the other end of that spectrum - I don't want to be screwed if I forget my controller/memory card at home. I think Cloud-based storage is the future and supposedly the new 360 Dashboard implements a form of that. (should make it easier to recover your profile too, from what I've read)

I don't see why you can't have both.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Deadly Cyclone said:
I think we should get a group together to mop up Reach achievements anyone needs. Anyone down?

Damn, two hours late. I still need Totally Worth It (Double Kill from the grave), You ate all the chips, and Candy from a Baby.

ncsuDuncan said:
Does Gears have anything like Forge though, even as simple as a weapon layout editor? Adding the overhead map is easy if the layouts are baked into the game disc, Halo complicates things with the flexibility of moving around spawn locations
No, you can only switch weapon spawns around. For instance, make the Mulcher spawn in place of the Longshot and vice versa.

Still, though, a Tacmap would be pretty nice.

Falt

SUCCESS!

chips2.jpg

Finally, my gamerscore is even once again!

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:

Screen opens up a lot of gimmicks, just like the wii mote before it. Keep that trash off my 360 controller, thanks.

wwm0nkey

Ramirez said:
Screen opens up a lot of gimmicks, just like the wii mote before it. Keep that trash off my 360 controller, thanks.
Not really there are a lot of legitimate things a screen+controller can do.

Ghost Recon Online does it pretty well where you can send out a drone and you see what it sees on your controller. Also RTS games will benefit from it too.

Not everything Nintendo does is a gimmick

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:

Ghost Recon Online does it pretty well where you can send out a drone and you see what it sees on your controller. Also RTS games will benefit from it too.

Since the Wii it has been. This coming from a long time Nintendo fan mind you who despite their bullshit with the Wii, 3DS, etc will always have a soft spot in his heart for them. And why not just have a small screen up in the corner of your screen like they managed to do it in other games. Having to take your eyes off the game to see something sucks and is just stupid when it can easily be accomplished without having to look away from your tv screen.

wwm0nkey said:

The fall xbox update will have cloud storage for the xbox so you'll be able to save your profile to the cloud and easily use it at a friends house.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No, I do not want a huge touchscreen in the middle of my controller. As an accessory? Sure. Not built into the controller though. A game controller should be small and compact, not a $150 monstrosity.

Ramirez

FyreWulff said:
Instead, move the screen data to your Windows 7 Phone(tm)

That's even more dumb, here let me take my eyes off the game to check my radar phone!

Those are the best examples you can come up with? The drone thing sounds exactly like a lame gimmick that no one would care about in a days time. RTS aren't exactly well represented on consoles, remember everyone thought Kinect/Wiimote/Move would revolutionize them on consoles? Yea...

wwm0nkey

Deadly Cyclone said:
No, I do not want a huge touchscreen in the middle of my controller. As an accessory? Sure. Not built into the controller though. A game controller should be small and compact, not a $150 monstrosity.
Thats why I prefer the "companion" controller. Not required but an optional controller you can buy with the added functionality.

FyreWulff

Deadly Cyclone said:

Which is why the Wii U is still going to allow games to use the Wiimote only, Wiimote + chuck, or Classic Controller Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if the final console ships with a tablet controller and a separate Wiimote by default.

Falt

Who, honestly would use ATLAS practically?

It's a cool, neat feature but in reality holds no weight towards the game and is nothing more than a novel gimmick. It's all bells and whistles. It's practicality is lost on me.

FyreWulff said:
Which is why the Wii U is still going to allow games to use the Wiimote only, Wiimote + chuck, or Classic Controller Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if the final console ships with a tablet controller and a separate Wiimote by default.
I think the tablet controller's going to bomb. If a Wiimote's included by default, most (shovelware) games are gonna keep using that, I think, because by now developers have gotten used to it.

There'll be some innovative developers that do some interesting things with it, of course, but I can't see it really being succesful. Of course, you can never know, people thought the Wii was gonna fail.

On-topic: Halo is awesome, especially Halo 3.

PooBone

Syracuse022 said:
Awesome.

Yesss... I'd love to see an overhead map that can be called up quickly to get a handle on:
Teammate locations
Weapon locations and respawn timers
Objective locations (if your flag is away and dropped, for example, not if the opposing team is sneaking away with it still in their possession)

And it would definitely behoove 343i to have this feature support custom shots from custom mapmakers (it can be part of the new suite of tools in the completely overhauled, Far Cry 2-esque editor)
Why would they do that when they could sell you a Windows phone 7?

Seems in line with the Kinect BS of late.

FyreWulff said:

Yeah, cuz that's better. /sarcasm

ElRenoRaven

Blue Ninja said:
I think the tablet controller's going to bomb. If a Wiimote's included by default, most (shovelware) games are gonna keep using that, I think, because by now developers have gotten used to it.

There'll be some innovative developers that do some interesting things with it, of course, but I can't see it really being succesful. Of course, you can never know, people thought the Wii was gonna fail.

On-topic: Halo is awesome, especially Halo 3.

Exactly. Why bother with the tablet when everyone else but the 1 person or 2 assuming it will support that many will be using the wiimote which totally sucks in my opinion.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
FyreWulff said:

Yeah, don't get me started on the Wii-U :p being that it still needs a "regular" controller like Xbox/PS3 have.

I wouldn't mind a smaller screen built into the controller, but I don't want a huge one that makes the controller a ton bigger.

FyreWulff

Deadly Cyclone said:
Yeah, don't get me started on the Wii-U :p being that it still needs a "regular" controller like Xbox/PS3 have.

I wouldn't mind a smaller screen built into the controller, but I don't want a huge one that makes the controller a ton bigger.

The CCPro is literally the Playstation controller minus clicksticks, so if a developer wants to have 360/PS3 controls they can already do that.

ElRenoRaven

Deadly Cyclone said:

Not to mention more expensive. Some day my dream will come true. You will have a one console future with every game on one console be it Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo. It will be glorious. The haters be damned. muahahahahaha

Oh and back on topic. How about that Halo? lol

Deadly Cyclone said:
1000 times this. Continue to make plug-ins like the keyboard (which I still don't have, lol), but leave that gimmicky crap off of my standard controller.

Speaking of controllers, I'm sure one of you will be nice enough to remind me of the company that's putting out the controller where you can move/swap the sticks and d-pad on the controller. I think swapping the d-pad with the left stick would be dreamy for my gaming habits.

FyreWulff said:
The CCPro is literally the Playstation controller minus clicksticks, so if a developer wants to have 360/PS3 controls they can already do that.

CCPro doesn't have pressure sensitive buttons or triggers either. Not having the click sticks makes ported PS360 controls awkward.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:

I love the alt fire modes in Perfect Dark but it doesn't really work unless the game and lore is designed around it.

It's the same thing when people want ADS or lean in every single shooter, it only works if the game is designed around it or fits.

Alt fire wouldn't really work in Halo. The lore doesn't support it and it would pretty much be frivolous on all the human weapons. PD was designed around it and even a few of it's weapons had a secondary mode forced in.. the sniper rifle's secondary mode made you crouch :lol

Top Bottom