• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Trey

If you think the competitive Halo community is the one most in trouble, I got news for you. The hardcore competitive Halo player isn't the one buying millions of copies of COD and Battlefield, it's the guys who used to play Halo.

And how do you suggest Halo wrangles those people back while not pissing off the current Halo community?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A birdie told me that things aren't going as well as they should be. :/

RESPECT THE BIRD.
8XFsE.png

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nice try, but your "birdie" doesn't know what they're talking about.

Can't wait to share what we've been working on with the rest of the world. Be patient.

Nice try at what?

I'm glad you're shutting me up about this. Looking forward to finally seeing something.

With a team their size I doubt things are going bad.

Size of team does not guarantee smoothness of development process nor does it guarantee quality of title.

When communities reach the point of questioning whether their game is dying I usually just ignore the issue until the fear passes, but with Halo there are clear indicators that it is no longer the lead FPS on a console in terms of both popularity and polish.

There are also clear indicators that it is not the second, third, or fourth FPS on a console. It doesn't need to be popular to be fun but it does need to be good. Right now it is neither as popular nor as good as it has been in the past. And that worries me.

At certain times of the day, in the Reach playlists that I enjoy, it is hard for me to get games with consistently good hosts.

For months this game has been plagued by quitters. The best deterrent for quitting is making a game that is fun and NOT frustrating.

I can overlook a low map count. I can overlook some bugs. I can overlook minor annoyances caused by bloom and AA's. I can overlook frame rate issues. I can overlook slow playlist updates. I can't overlook half of my games having crappy hosts or quitters.

Popularity and quality are not always connected but based on my recent experiences with Reach, they are.

Save us Frankie.

EDIT:

Was frantically writing that wild-eyed manifesto while Ellis was busy actually putting some of my fears to rest. Thanks Ellis. And thanks for wishing Jeff Green well the other day. That was a classy move.

If you think the competitive Halo community is the one most in trouble, I got news for you. The hardcore competitive Halo player isn't the one buying millions of copies of COD and Battlefield, it's the guys who used to play Halo.

What are you even trying to argue aymore kyle? That hardcore competitive Halo players are the guys who used to play? If so, doesn't that feed into the idea that MLG is dying a slow death?

I don't even care about MLG at all. How was this not clear from every post? You said it yourself when you tried to put me down.

Other games are more popular... Good for them. I'll still have fun playing Reach. If MLG wants to try and make Reach better for them, then all the power to them too!

What are you even trying to argue aymore kyle? That hardcore competitive Halo players are the guys who used to play? If so, doesn't that feed into the idea that MLG is dying a slow death?

I don't even care about MLG at all. How was this not clear from every post? You said it yourself when you tried to put me down.

Other games are more popular... Good for them. I'll still have fun playing Reach. If MLG wants to try and make Reach better for them, then all the power to them too!
that's the exact opposite of what he said

that's the exact opposite of what he said

Aaah ok, cuz I was reading it like this;
"The hardcore competitive Halo player isn't the one buying millions of copies of COD and Battlefield. The hardcore competitive Halo player's the guys who used to play Halo."

Them pronouns man :/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Do you think there's a bet going between Frankie and Ellis on who can get their face on the most GAF avatars?

I hope so.

We'll see what happens when Halo 4 is coming out and HaloGAF gets/updates with Halo 4 style avatars. I think mine was Kat for Reach lol. We all had ODST helmets back when ODST came out, that was pretty cool.

We'll see what happens when Halo 4 is coming out and HaloGAF gets/updates with Halo 4 style avatars. I think mine was Kat for Reach lol. We all had ODST helmets back when ODST came out, that was pretty cool.

Appropriate that you had Kat,
the character who could've most benefitted from bloom (well, on her opponent's reticle at least)
, as your avatar.

EDIT:

Just after posting that I realized that bloom is preparing an entire generation for drinking. As the frequency of your shot-taking increases, so too does the attractiveness of the people at the bar around you. Bloom = Beer Goggles.

Ramirez

Hydranockz has never watched a single minute of a Halo Council (hence him believing it's all pro players who talk about MLG the whole time). That kid loves talking out of his ass more than anything in the whole world. Ignore him.

I love the attitudes some people have towards both Halo dying and MLG. When is it time to be concerned?

Ok so if Halo leaves the MLG circuit - nothing to worry about, that's just a small subset of the population that will stop playing.
Ok so Halo is 7th on the XBL activity - hey nothing to worry about they're doing better than Gears.
Ok so Anniversary didn't track in the NPD top 10 - nothing to worry about, it's a gift to the fans
Ok so Living Dead has a higher population than any other playlist - nothing to worry about, it had a large population in Halo 3.

I want OT8 to be titled 'In which we bury our heads in the sand'.

Beautiful.

<insert Ram trolling here>

I got nothing.

Top Bottom