• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Yea, I asked those guys what was better between one Nvidia card and 2 AMD's with Crossfire back when I was looking at an Alienware, and he just told me to read the OP. I don't really want to read charts filled with 50 different cards, I just want to know what's better. :(
Wow, that's pretty weaksauce. Wish I could help but I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. :/

MrBig

Yea, I asked those guys what was better between one Nvidia card and 2 AMD's with Crossfire back when I was looking at an Alienware, and he just told me to read the OP. I don't really want to read charts filled with 50 different cards, I just want to know what's better. :(

I'd recommend building your own. If not certainly don't buy Alienware's overpriced hardware.
You'll generally get better support with an nvidia card (especially in almost everything not related to gaming), but of course you can afford more power with ATI.
I'd also go with mid-range as well. I'm running a 9600 GT (four generations old I think) and pump skyrim out at 60fps when its stock, and run photoshop and 3DS Max decently. Be sure whatever you get has plenty of both vRAM and sysRAM.

Havok

That PC he linked from New Egg, would that get my max settings on that game with little problem? The graphics card doesn't seem to be that powerful from what I can find on the net. I guess I could always just buy a new card later on, yea? Nothing else about the system seems weak, or am I overlooking something?

The GPU would be a pretty big bottleneck - it seems to be a low-end budget card. Something like the 550 ti is the baseline for a reasonable power/price point these days, I think. It's true that you can upgrade later on, but I don't think I'd vouch for the card in the first place.

I'll add my voice to those advising you to build it yourself if you can. A couple of hours and a decent guide is all it really takes, but if you're not interested in doing so, you'll have to eat the premium to have one of those vendors do it.

Ramirez

That OP? lol

I know right, looks like a mess to someone like me who doesn't really get it to begin with.

The GPU would be a pretty big bottleneck - it seems to be a low-end budget card. Something like the 550 ti is the baseline for a reasonable power/price point these days, I think. It's true that you can upgrade later on, but I don't think I'd vouch for the card in the first place.

I'll add my voice to those advising you to build it yourself if you can. A couple of hours and a decent guide is all it really takes, but if you're not interested in doing so, you'll have to eat the premium to have one of those vendors do it.

Hmm, I'm really leaning towards the VM machine, I'm not doubting that single Ram could build his own PC. However, married/dad Ram who gets maybe 2 hours a night of free time and is dead tired, I don't like my chances. :p I type this while my son climbs me like a jungle gym, lol.

It has a fair amount of ram (2gb) the problem is the lack of processor cores. I'll look around for another build but he could easily get a better setup if it wasn't premade.

EDIT: The card is an AMD but it benchmarks well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3227386&Tpk=AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card

Havok

Hmm, I'm really leaning towards the VM machine, I'm not doubting that single Ram could build his own PC. However, married/dad Ram who gets maybe 2 hours a night of free time and is dead tired, I don't like my chances. :p I type this while my son climbs me like a jungle gym, lol.
Understandable. I guess that's why those vendors exist, after all. You'll have a pretty great rig either way.
It has a fair amount of ram (2gb) the problem is the lack of processor cores. I'll look around for another build but he could easily get a better setup if it wasn't premade.
Yeah, the VRAM wasn't the issue - a 1GB card is all he would need anyway, to be honest. It's just the raw computing power isn't up to snuff.

A tip for people buying cards - the second digit in the model number gives a general relative indication of how powerful it is. The first digit is a generation counter (ex: a 4850 is more powerful than a 6350, but two generations older, and might not support as recent of a DirectX release).

Ramirez

A tip for people buying cards - the second digit in the model number gives a general relative indication of how powerful it is. The first digit is a generation counter (ex: a 4850 is more powerful than a 6350, but two generations older, and might not support as recent of a DirectX release).

Awesome, I always wondered how the numbers worked.

Thermite

lol Stop being a casual and build a PC, Ramirez.

wwm0nkey

Wait PC talk is going on here? Just built my new PC like 1 hour ago. Got a msi P67A-GD55 Motherboard (auto overclocking and up to 16GB RAM), i5 2500k at 3.30 Ghz (can overclock) 8 gigs of GDRR3 RAM and a Artec case. Will be picking up 8 more gigs of RAM next week.

Awesome, I always wondered how the numbers worked.
This won't be an issue, but AMD/ATI did kind of undergo a numbers "reset" a few years ago, so there's a Radeon 9600 range that's far far less powerful than a 5770 (my card :D).

Wait PC talk is going on here? Just built my new PC like 1 hour ago. Got a msi P67A-GD55 Motherboard (auto overclocking and up to 16GB RAM), i5 2500k at 3.30 Ghz (can overclock) 8 gigs of GDRR3 RAM and a Artec case. Will be picking up 8 more gigs of RAM next week.
GPU?

We're all going strong so far :p

But once that info starts rolling in...
werwequvt.gif

So there was no Bulletin this week?

Not today
Doesn't look like the Bulletin is going to go up tonight. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. #pardonourdust #manyapologies

Top Bottom