• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tha Robbertster said:
I'm not sure about the Gears spotting system; What button would we use for it? Gears uses the left stick but that's already crouching in Halo. If the controlles for Halo 4 stay the same (And I don't think it will change), the spot button would be somewhere on the D-pad which I wouldn't like because you'd have to take your fingers off the sticks and thus stop a way of moving

If 343 would find a way to add it without me having to use the D-pad, I'd be in but I think it could be problametic.

Dpad is fine, if you really have a problem with taking you finger off the stick for less than a second then something is wrong. Do you people never press the back button or switch weapons?

Ken said:
Right bumper.

Don't really want to see armor abilities return in H4.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, (though AA's are left bumper with standard control scheme if I recall correctly). I do think 343 won't completely remove AA's but rather alter them in a way to make them different from how we use them now and their purposes in the sandbox.

StalkerUKCG said:
Dpad is fine, if you really have a problem with taking you finger off the stick for less than a second then something is wrong. Do you people never press the back button or switch weapons?

I don't know how you hold your controller but I have my thumbs on the sticks and the rest of my hands at the triggers and bumpers. Since the D-pad is under the left stick, I have to take my thumb of my movement stick. That means I'm not moving and I think we both now that keep moving is pretty important in Halo.

I don't want to sacrifise my movement for that, even if it is for only 1 or 2 seconds.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
StalkerUKCG said:
Id be perfectly fine with a COD style radar aslong as once you spot someone they are on that radar for the duriation they are spotted for and also a little marker above the persons head.

Click to make bigger

Ugh no way. That's the problem with radar. You just have a bunch of goons running around looking only at their radar. And me, the guy doing spectacular moves on the map, jumping on all different ledges to be sneaky, is spotted on radar by some noob who isn't even looking at the screen.

Also, I'll tell you a system that is absolutely necessary in Halo 4. If I'm forging my own map, (let's say for MLG because those seem to be the only really good ones in matchmaking) I need to be able to label a space or a jump or a ledge with a call out that shows up on screen when you're running on it. The stock Bungie callouts on the maps were for the most part awful and the real tragedy is that you couldn't change them. How many times do I go around new maps with a team and go through making up our own callouts. So janky.

Tha Robbertster said:
I'm not sure about the Gears spotting system; What button would we use for it? Gears uses the left stick but that's already crouching in Halo. If the controlles for Halo 4 stay the same (And I don't think it will change), the spot button would be somewhere on the D-pad which I wouldn't like because you'd have to take your fingers off the sticks and thus stop a way of moving

If 343 would find a way to add it without me having to use the D-pad, I'd be in but I think it could be problametic.
Do you claw with your right hand? What's the distinction between pressing A-B-X-Y and pressing the D-pad?

Ken

Tha Robbertster said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that, (though AA's are left bumper with standard control scheme if I recall correctly).

Oh yeah you're right.

Syracuse022 said:
Do you claw with your right hand? What's the distinction between pressing A-B-X-Y and pressing the D-pad?

Left thumb off left stick to press D-pad = momentary pause? Or maybe I'm not understanding your question.

StalkerUKCG said:

Can't really compare losing movement momentarily in Gears with Halo while trying to aim at someone.

Tha Robbertster said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that, (though AA's are left bumper with standard control scheme if I recall correctly). I do think 343 won't completely remove AA's but rather alter them in a way to make them different from how we use them now and their purposes in the sandbox.

I don't know how you hold your controller but I have my thumbs on the sticks and the rest of my hands at the triggers and bumpers. Since the D-pad is under the right stick, I have to take my thumb of my movement stick. That means I'm not moving and I think we both now that keep moving is pretty important in Halo.

I don't want to sacrifise my movement for that, even if it is for only 1 or 2 seconds.
the dpad is under the left stick...

Syracuse022 said:

While pressing these buttons, you're still able to move out of the way of enemy fire, which isn't possible when you use your left thumb.

One of the reasons I switched to Bumper Jumper was that I could jump/melee and aim at the same time. Switching weapons and grenades don't bother me that much since you can't shoot anyway while switching your weapon and I rarely switch my nade types while in combat.

thezerofire said:
the dpad is under the left stick...

Oops, will edit :p

Ken said:
Can't really compare losing movement momentarily in Gears with Halo while trying to aim at someone.

I didnt. If it was the dpad you press you would still be able to aim, you move with the left stick.

The point is taking your finger off the left stick for less than a second to tap up isnt an impossible feat some people are acting like its going to make them loose. Its also optional. Ideally it could be mapped to a thumb stick press or LB but their already used.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
thezerofire said:
So have it last for less time. It would be great for halo. It rewards you for being sneaky and flanking and for paying attention to the other team, and punishes you for playing badly.
Ugh, no.

In these games with spotting your whole team doesn't have grenades, and can't move around things like you can in Halo.

MrBig

LAUGHTREY said:
Ugh, no.

In these games with spotting your whole team doesn't have grenades, and can't move around things like you can in Halo.
What? That's not true at all.

While spotting is good in Battlefield and the like, it's not good in an arena game that would give such small teams such a huge advantage.
Best played with the only way of tracking a player be vocal relay of information between players that actually see/hear enemies.

Ok so just have it ping where the person was when you saw them. It doesn't have to follow them. Saying voice callouts being the only system is good and all but people don't use their mics the majority of the time so it's bad design.

daedalius

So I had a friend over and somehow convinced him to play a couple rounds of H2 with me, whole time he complained about how the weapons in 2 were terrible, how he hated 2, melee was weak, etc etc. Crushed him in every BR duel >.<

He likes Reach 'because of all that new stuff' and claims its more like H1, not sure where he got that idea though. At least he doesn't like armor lock, I guess!

MrBig said:
While spotting is good in Battlefield and the like, it's not good in an arena game that would give such small teams such a huge advantage.
Best played with the only way of tracking a player be vocal relay of information between players that actually see/hear enemies.
Works just fine in Gears 3 which is nothing like Battlefield with small maps and 5v5 games.

I'd like to at least try it in a beta for Halo 4.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
thezerofire said:
Ok so just have it ping where the person was when you saw them. It doesn't have to follow them. Saying voice callouts being the only system is good and all but people don't use their mics the majority of the time so it's bad design.
Yeah, a Portal 2 style ping system would be cool.

MrBig

thezerofire said:
Yes, absolutely. That's why there is a radar. It is the best case scenario that everyone is communicating.
I wish there was a way to disable elevation tracking in the reach radar though.

MrBig said:
Yes, absolutely. That's why there is a radar. It is the best case scenario that everyone is communicating.
I wish there was a way to disable elevation tracking in the reach radar though.
Radar provides too much information though. Most of the maps only have a couple routes though them, and it's easy to pinpoint where someone is based on their radar, with or without elevation tracking. It's too easy to camp routes when you know exactly where someone is going.

daedalius

Man, played a game of H3 BTB.

If the population wasn't absolutely piss poor, I probably would have still been playing this since Reach came out instead. Hopefully CEA makes the magic happen again.

BTB maps in Reach just got... what's a good word for it, screwed? dongblained?

Booshka

thezerofire said:
Shadowrun says hello.

Homeboyd

thezerofire said:
I should pay more attention to your avatar
indeed (blamedevo)

...and that if anyone points to a b.net speculation post as a source of truth, they're probably only about 0% serious.

Retro

I'm all in favor of more customization. I wouldn't even mind if we had more voting options in H4, like picking the map, gametype and weapon setups separately for each match.

As for radar, I'm perfectly happy going back to the Halo 1-3 version, but something like call-outs (even if they just designate a large area the enemy was in, like automated audio callouts) would be neat. I won't lose any sleep if we stick with the standard motion tracker though.

I also wouldn't mind a weapon-specific tracking method. For example, an otherwise normal or sub-par weapon could have a special tracker built into it, like an x-ray scanner that can see through walls (but not shoot through them, obviously). This assumes that Halo 4 expands on weapon utility, of course.

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that there will be Secondary Fire in Halo 4 given the mega-shot Pistol from the teaser trailer?

GhaleonEB said:
Ah, got it. To pivot a bit, Costco's pizza is the shizznit.

Fuck yeah, I just picked one up today.

daedalius

Retro said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone think that there will be Secondary Fire in Halo 4 given the mega-shot Pistol from the teaser trailer?

What makes you think that was a pistol? Could have been some sort of breaching gun or something.

Ken

StalkerUKCG said:
I didnt. If it was the dpad you press you would still be able to aim, you move with the left stick.

Aiming with just the left stick is fine if you're sniping someone far away, but you really need both sticks to properly aim at a moving enemy in a DMR fight with you.

In Gears, movement while aiming isn't as important since ADS reduces your movement to a turtle anyways, and people aren't jumping around and rolling while shooting like they do in Halo.

The point is taking your finger off the left stick for less than a second to tap up isnt an impossible feat some people are acting like its going to make them loose. Its also optional. Ideally it could be mapped to a thumb stick press or LB but their already used.

It's not an impossible feat but it's not optimal either.

Homeboyd

I never liked seeing when people typed "/sarcasm" because I felt it was up to the poster to make it clear... Guess I need to work on that.

Also, Ghaleon gets it.

Homeboyd said:
I never liked seeing when people typed "/sarcasm" because I felt it was up to the poster to make it clear... Guess I need to work on that.

Also, Ghaleon gets it.
Maybe everyone got it, and they posted comment about the Bnet post?

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
he types "no" but he meant "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" because the surprise for the last pre-release bulletin is now ruined.

fuck forge maps of any kind in MM..

heckfu

Banned
Just tried to catch up on the thread since I can't at this new rotation for school and I saw where Stalker had a dream with me in it.

Living up to your name a little too much...

FyreWulff

Current list for Halo 2 Vista on the 9th:

FyreWulff
wwm0nkey
Rickenslacker
Leviathan
Urban Reflex
Stephen L (Soundeffect)
Nikko B201
Total Sellout

anyone else interested? We about have enough do some 4v4 gametypes.

edit: hmm I'll look into maybe deploying a dedi so we can just have it auto rotate

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:

FyreWulff
wwm0nkey
Rickenslacker
Leviathan
Urban Reflex
Stephen L (Soundeffect)
Nikko B201

anyone else interested? We've about have enough do some 4v4 gametypes.

Please add Total Sellout to that list.

Retro

daedalius said:
What makes you think that was a pistol? Could have been some sort of breaching gun or something.

I suppose you could be right, though it certainly looks like a Magnum, just with a big silencer-looking thing on the front and a stock-looking end.

I wasn't pointing to it as absolute proof, but rather just curious if people thought this was something 343 might experiment with.

FyreWulff said:

FyreWulff
wwm0nkey
Rickenslacker
Leviathan
Urban Reflex
Stephen L (Soundeffect)
Nikko B201
Total Sellout

anyone else interested? We about have enough do some 4v4 gametypes.

edit: hmm I'll look into maybe deploying a dedi so we can just have it auto rotate
What are you going to do?

FyreWulff

Hypertrooper said:
What are you going to do?

My current plan is to just rotate like we're playing matchmaking and depends on how many show up.

So stuff like 1 Flag, 1 Bomb, 2 Flag etc on appropriate maps. Maybe close out with some Zombies Foundation, but I don't want to spend the whole night playing a gametype that's already in Halo 3 and Reach...

Current short list if we end up with 4v4:

1 Flag on Zanzibar, Headlong, Relic, Terminal
1 Flag Fast on Ivory Tower and Lockout
KotH Tactics on Warlock
3 Plots on Turf
2 Flag Classic on Midship, Backwash and Beaver Creek
1 Bomb on Burial Mounds, Headlong, Terminal
2 Flag on Sanctuary

bigger maps like Waterworks and Coagulation if we have enough people

FyreWulff said:
My current plan is to just rotate like we're playing matchmaking and depends on how many show up.

So stuff like 1 Flag, 1 Bomb, 2 Flag etc on appropriate maps. Maybe close out with some Zombies Foundation, but I don't want to spend the whole night playing a gametype that's already in Halo 3 and Reach...
It's okay. Still looking for *cough* achievement boosting group *cough*. I should go to a doctor very soon.

Top Bottom