• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Finished Glasslands.

Want to hold on judging the book's overall quality and let it sit on my mind for a while.
My current inclination is mixed.

But here are some points that I'd like to mention/discuss
- Having a trilogy in-mind from the start is a great idea and it shows
- The book is all about tensions,
universe, species, inner vs outer colonies, inter-planetary, interpersonal
-
Really didn't expect them to get out of the Dyson Sphere so soon. Honestly feels a small bit cheap/plans changed to suit Halo 4
- Interesting role-reversal for Halsey in the eyes of the readers/fans. She's always been painted in a nicer light in the rest of the fiction, kind of a "she did terrible things but isn't she so clever, a great tactician, mother of Cortana & the Spartans etc" i.e. you were made to like her despite what she had done.
Here, she feels like dirt due to a lot of complicated guilt & more, is largely treated like dirt and ends up acting like dirt. Feel like this is a huge shift in what will steer fan perception. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a big shift.
-HOWEVER, the possibility of her being on the Infinity that will no doubt crop up in Halo 4/5, is intriguing. I'd be happy to see 343 give a go at a representation of her in-game.
-Can't see Paran wanting the Chief to be reunited with Halsey though.
-Osman & crew.. are alright. They're kind of fun, I like the group but it all feels cliche.
-Oddly enough I laughed most when people started arguing e.g. Mendez & Halsey
-I'd be happy to see them in game too. If finding Master Chief is as big to the UNSC as they make it feel, it'd be nice to have some people around to give the moment the gravity and weight it deserves
-Spartan IVs. Hurm. Hopefully something 343 have in mind for 5/6.
-This cliffhanger is up there with Halo 2. Is that a good thing? Eh, it's not the worst thing in the world, I'm honestly okay with it.
-It's odd that the Infinity will be deployed to wherever the Chief is before book 2 is likely out, because obviously it's barely in testing (to be much sped up by the Engineers of course). It supports the idea that Traviss's next book would out before Halo 4 drops.
-Insurrectionist tensions : Muddled because of the multiple Covies involved, but while I'd like to see them in-game, I don't think it's something 343 is interested in, like Bungie before them. Unfortunate.
-No interest in Jul after he taken to the ONI facility. Odds are stacked against his escape (unless Hood finds out about him), but afraid that's an event 343/Traviss are building towards.
(Actual Spoilers)

The book completely jumped the shark when
ye decided Guinness doesn't exist in 500 years! Blasphemy!
. (Not a real spoiler)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
PsychoRaven said:
You can do it co-op on your console or via online co-op.
Homeboyd said:
Customs and make sure you start the 5th set. There's a couple gametypes out there you can knock it out really quickly with, but you can set it up however you want.
Thanks guys, we're going to have fun with this tomorrow.

Magni

FyreWulff said:
Current list for Halo 2 Vista on the 9th:

FyreWulff
wwm0nkey
Rickenslacker
Leviathan
Urban Reflex
Stephen L (Soundeffect)
Nikko B201
Total Sellout

anyone else interested? We about have enough do some 4v4 gametypes.

edit: hmm I'll look into maybe deploying a dedi so we can just have it auto rotate

Add me, I'm in Europe though.. zMagni

Striker

FyreWulff said:
1 Flag
Terminal
Zanzibar (BR Start)
Relic

1 Bomb
Headlong (BR start)
Zanzibar
Ascension

3 Plots
Turf

2 Flag Classic
Beaver Creek
Midship
Elongation (BR Start)

2 Flag
Sanctuary (BR Start)
Colossus (BR Start)

1 Flag CTF Fast
Ivory Tower
Lockout (BR Start + No Radar)

Neutral Bomb
Backwash
Waterworks (BR Start)
Colossus (BR Start + No Radar)
Midship (No Radar)
The last amazing objective modes in the Halo series.

I would definitely join in if there was something on XBC.

Zeouterlimits said:
-HOWEVER, the possibility of her being on the Infinity that will no doubt crop up in Halo 4/5, is intriguing. I'd be happy to see 343 give a go at a representation of her in-game.
Maybe my reading is totally wrong.(I can always blame that I'm not a native english speaker), but
isn't Halsey on a Research station in the orbit of Installation 03?

Zeouterlimits said:
-Can't see Paran wanting the Chief to be reunited with Halsey though.
I ain't supporting your thoughts here.
It's more curious that Karen splitted Halsey from her Spartans. My first thought was: Clever. Halsey is known by the players, because of Reach. Her Spartans are not. Now the Chief can find Halsey without meeting the other Spartan-IIs. I think people are curious what happens to her and Jun after the events of Reach. These people will maybe get a explanation.

Zeouterlimits said:
-Spartan IVs. Hurm. Hopefully something 343 have in mind for 5/6.
We haven't got much information about Spartan-IVs. I think that we will see them already in Halo 4. Infinity will be part of Halo 4, and the Spartan-IVs are stationed on Infinity. Why should they keep them in dark if their main base(=Infinity) is already part of Halo 4?

Zeouterlimits said:
-It's odd that the Infinity will be deployed to wherever the Chief is before book 2 is likely out, because obviously it's barely in testing (to be much sped up by the Engineers of course). It supports the idea that Traviss's next book would out before Halo 4 drops.
I love that the Engineers will be playing such a big role in the Reclaimer Trilogy. Seriously one of the best characters in the Halo universe. I demand a Engineer plush for the next HaloFest!

VVV Mars VG said:
One of the TeamVVV chaps recently got the chance to pop along to see the dev guys and play the game so he made a couple of video blogs I thought you might enjoy. :)

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRJq7Nb9IfY
2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygni8AiAOaY
Posted at the gaming side.

One of these videos is a interview with Dennis Ries. The other one is a playthrough of the first level with David Ellis. He shares his first experience with Halo and reveals other stuff. (I first want to say that he's losing his Halo honor because I think he plays the game on Normal, but I haven't played Halo CE for months, so I ain't sure. So I'm not charging him for that.)

Hypertrooper said:

One of these videos is a interview with Dennis Ries. The other one is a playthrough of the first level with David Ellis. He shares his first experience with Halo and reveals other stuff. (I first want to say that he's losing his Halo honor because I think he plays the game on Normal, but I haven't played Halo CE for months, so I ain't sure. So I'm not charging him for that.)

The Bumblebee pilot (jen taylor) looks to be wearing Halo 3 Marine armour.

640px-Halo3_122662636_Full.jpg

If so thats pretty cool

Hypertrooper said:
Maybe my reading is totally wrong.(I can always blame that I'm not a native english speaker), but
You're right, sorry, brain fart.
Hypertrooper said:
We haven't got much information about Spartan-IVs. I think that we will see them already in Halo 4. Infinity will be part of Halo 4, and the Spartan-IVs are stationed on Infinity. Why should they keep them in dark if their main base(=Infinity) is already part of Halo 4?
Hmm. Would rather it be something for Halo 5. Want H4 to maximise the Chief on his own as much as possible. You might be right though.

Zeouterlimits said:

Hmm. Would rather it be something for Halo 5. Want H4 to maximise the Chief on his own as much as possible. You might be right though.
Hypertrooper's crazy thought: Halo 4 Ending
The UNSC Infinity never really appears in the whole game. Maybe just via radio communication Cortana wiretaps. Now the ending begins. We see the UNSC Infinity. We hear someone. She says: We found him. Get him out. We see the Chief and a group of soldiers approaching to him. The leader of the squad says: Osman, we have him. Spartan 4 squad alpha out. End. Motherfu**ing cliffhangar!

Zoolader said:
Any word on 343i being there? Other than Halo I wouldn't have any other reason to go.
If I have to say one thing: HaloFest wasn't the reason that my seattle trip was awesome. It was people I'd met, who made the trip awesome. What I want to say with that, buy a pass, meet the other HaloGaffers and have fun with them.

Zoolader said:
Any word on 343i being there? Other than Halo I wouldn't have any other reason to go.
Nothing official yet, from what I recall.

I asked Jessica (bs angel) about it at PAX Prime and she said "Well I hope we'd have some more stuff to show then..."

I think it's a safe assumption that 343i will be there in some capacity. Maybe with a alpha/beta build of Halo 4? At the very least I'd assume we'll see a gameplay video.

feel

Nice PoA playthrough. There nothing like that pure CE gameplay. Looking forward to both having it in proper 16:9 and having the option of playing with different graphics.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
I'm down for H2 on the 9th, be it xbox or PC.

Fyre add Lockout oddball BRs no radar to the list?

Sure, I'll replace Ivory Tower Ball with it. Just as long as it doesn't turn into "run ball to one end, play ball, grab from middle and run to other, repeat"

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:
Sure, I'll replace Ivory Tower Ball with it. Just as long as it doesn't turn into "run ball to one end, play ball, grab from middle and run to other, repeat"
Pretty sure that's the definition of Lockout oddball.

FyreWulff said:
I'd like to go to PAX East but it hasn't shown that it gets anything other than PAX Prime leftovers at this point.
Well it's a little early for 343 to announce plans for PAX East. Besides, if that's the main reason for going to PAX you're doing it wrong.

April 15th, 2011 - PAX Prime registration opens
May 3rd, 2011 - HaloFest Announced

November 3rd, 2011 - PAX East registration opens

And that was just the announcement that there would be a HaloFest, all the details didn't come until later.

It was a huge expense for 343, I wouldn't expect them to do anything near that scale for PAX East. This time I imagine the type of stuff they'll be showing won't be locked down and announcable until much closer to the actual event.

Funny story, in retrospect: Back in March before HaloFest was announced, I went to a Halo community dinner at PAX East. After we ate, I think either GrimBrotherOne (HBO) or Goosechecka (GrifballHub) brought up the idea of a Halo-specific gaming convention. We all spent a good 10 minutes excitedly discussing the possibilities with each other and with David, Alison, and Jessica (343i). They maintained brilliant poker faces, chatting with us without revealing HaloFest, which of course had already been in the works for many months.

FyreWulff

lybertyboy said:
Pretty sure that's the definition of Lockout oddball.

It's a legitimate strategy for matchmaking. Kind of boring for customs though. Either way it won't last long.

Also why I didn't have Warlock Ball on there, I think people would be interested in playing something other than Whack A Teleporter :p

ncsuDuncan said:
Well it's a little early for 343 to announce plans for PAX East. Besides, if that's the main reason for going to PAX you're doing it wrong.

When I'm trying to optimize my money, it is! Although I'd like to go to Boston just for the sake of my first time to the East Coast, if I'm going to travel to the east and PAX in one year, the eastern stop would have to be an HBO LAN of some sort :p

Also for the record, Tripping on Balls is Sentinel Beam start with PR/PP on map and 3 balls in play. Unce unce unce unce unce unce unce unce

ncsuDuncan said:
Funny story, in retrospect: Back in March before HaloFest was announced, I went to a Halo community dinner at PAX East. After we ate, I think either GrimBrotherOne (HBO) or Goosechecka (GrifballHub) brought up the idea of a Halo-specific gaming convention. We all spent a good 10 minutes excitedly discussing the possibilities with each other and with David, Alison, and Jessica (343i). They maintained brilliant poker faces, chatting with us without revealing HaloFest, which of course had already been in the works for many months.
Ha! awesome XD

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Zeouterlimits said:

I totally agree. I want H4 to be all about Chief, Cortana, and exploring this new alien world in eerie ass solitude.

Hypertrooper said:
Hypertrooper's crazy thought: Halo 4 Ending
The UNSC Infinity never really appears in the whole game. Maybe just via radio communication Cortana wiretaps. Now the ending begins. We see the UNSC Infinity. We hear someone. She says: We found him. Get him out. We see the Chief and a group of soldiers approaching to him. The leader of the squad says: Osman, we have him. Spartan 4 squad alpha out. End. Motherfu**ing cliffhangar!
Does the UNSC know Chief is on the Forerunner planet, though? I haven't read Glasslands yet, so maybe I missing something.

ncsuDuncan said:
Haha, that's hilarious.

omg.kittens said:
I totally agree. I want H4 to be all about Chief, Cortana, and exploring this new alien world in eerie ass solitude.

Does the UNSC know Chief is on the Forerunner planet, though? I haven't read Glasslands yet, so maybe I missing something.
nope.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hypertrooper said:

Even I play on normal if I have to talk and walk. Playing while concentrating on an interview is brutal. I just did an interview at Gamespot while I played and it's not as easy as it looks.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Even I play on normal if I have to talk and walk. Playing while concentrating on an interview is brutal. I just did an interview at Gamespot while I played and it's not as easy as it looks.
I assume it went like this:

*Midway through Assault on the Control Room, Legendary difficulty*

(Okay, interview time. Don'tSpoilHalo4Don'tSpoilHalo4Don'tSpoilHalo4.)

Gamespot: "So, Frank, how difficult was it to pull together a game that involved multiple outside developers, such as Certain Affinity and Sabre Interactive?"

*Gold Elite slices Frank's spartan in half right before the next checkpoint*

"F**K YOU, YOU SPLIT-MOUTHED BASTARD! Sorry, what was the question?"

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I want a game demo where they just completely ignore press questions and get enthralled in their own game. Ideally, the the demonstrator would be draped in golden silk robes.

FyreWulff said:
dot

Also a reminder that it'd probably be a good idea to configure your voice chat if you're going to do that now.

Current planned rotation possibilities (aka an attempt at a "tour" of Halo 2's best-of modes)

1 Flag
Terminal
Zanzibar (BR Start)
Relic

1 Bomb
Headlong (BR start)
Zanzibar
Ascension

3 Plots
Turf

2 Flag Classic
Beaver Creek
Midship
Elongation (BR Start)

2 Flag
Sanctuary (BR Start)
Colossus (BR Start)

Territories
Terminal (BR Start)
Containment (BR Start)

KotH Tactics
Warlock
Gemini (Carbine Start + No Radar)

Oddball
Midship (BR Start + No Radar)
Sanctuary FFA (BR Start)

1 Flag CTF Fast
Ivory Tower

Neutral Bomb
Backwash
Waterworks (BR Start)
Colossus (BR Start + No Radar)
Midship (No Radar)

FFA Snipers (no radar)
Coagulation
Burial Mounds
Foundation (Beam Start)
Headlong (Beam + Human Start)

Team Slayer
Ascension Rockets
Backwash Plasma Wars
Elongation SWAT (No Radar)
Beaver Creek Shotties (No Radar)
Midship Rifles (No Radar)
Coagulation Gulch Wars
Foundation Fiesta

Juggernaut
Midship 3 vs 1 Juggernaut
Ascension Juggernaut Rifles
Backwash Predator

Closing Ceremonies
Trippin Balls on Backwash
Zombies on Foundation (Shotty and Sword, No Radar)
FFA Plasma Pistols on Waterworks (All Camo, No Radar)

Halo 2 is awesome

I might buy H2Vista just to play this with you guys.

PooBone

Hypertrooper said:
Nope.

Confirmed titles:
New bioware franchise
ALAN WAKE 2! GOD YES! FINALLY!
MGS: Raiden reveal.

Maybe at the end of their retrospective of Halo, they will announce the first glimpse of Halo 4 at the VGAs.

Unfortunately it's not Alan Wake 2. Just the XBLA game they'd talked about months ago. :( AW2 is my most wanted announcement in the world.... that and an Mirror's Edge sequel.

Hypertrooper said:
WHOA! Shouldn't have read that. I need to finish Glasslands like now. I've got 5 or 6 chapters left.

daedalius

omg.kittens said:

Metroid solitude + Halo sandbox = awesome

WHOA! Shouldn't have read that. I need to finish Glasslands like now. I've got 5 or 6 chapters left.

There were so many spoilers right after the book came out I felt I had to finish it in just a couple of days, but considering how awesome it was, that was easy ;)

Tawpgun

If you think about Reach's cycle... Gameplay cinematic/trailer at VGA's... Bunch of other goodies following...

MP details and beta in spring. PAX East in spring... If they showed Anni at NYC Comic con im sure they'll be at PAX east in some way.

Ramirez

April seems a bit early for them to show anything playable, that'd be more late May I'd assume.

Completely unrelated to Halo, a new drug for CF has been given to the FDA for approval. It only effects 4% of the population, but hopefully they can use it to develop other medicines for all of the mutations. Supposedly increases lung function by 20%, which is huge...

http://www.eyedrd.org/2011/10/kalydeco-first-drug-to-be-approved-for-cystic-fibrosis.html

The only real downer is that a years worth of treatment is going to cost 200K, no clue if insurance will cover that, kinda clueless on that stuff.

Carry on!

A27 Tawpgun said:
If you think about Reach's cycle... Gameplay cinematic/trailer at VGA's... Bunch of other goodies following...

MP details and beta in spring. PAX East in spring... If they showed Anni at NYC Comic con im sure they'll be at PAX east in some way.
Don't panic. It's an US event. I think 343i can plan by themselves if they go. And I don't think they would miss out such a big event.

You should be scared if it's an event in Europe. 'cause Microsoft Europe must plan, and MS plans nothing for the community and if there weren't Aceybongo, they would be press-only events. I should contact him for an European HaloFest evening. lol.

Edit.: I should clarify that I have no clue who plans the whole stuff for the events. But it's an impression I got for visiting GamesCom over the last 7 years. I think I should shut up my mouth about this topic.

My roommate is a big fan of the show "Sons of Anarchy".

One of the main characters "Clay" is actually....

Lord Hood >.> (well this is the guy that voices him, anyway)

FEATURED-sons-of-anarchy-clay-morrow-gun.jpg

A27_StarWolf said:
My roommate is a big fan of the show "Sons of Anarchy".

One of the main characters "Clay" is actually....

Lord Hood >.>
Hmm, kinda looks like Hellboy. Sounds like that narrator from Fallout too.

La cité des enfants perdus, Enemy at the Gates

ncsuDuncan said:
I assume it went like this:

*Midway through Assault on the Control Room, Legendary difficulty*

(Okay, interview time. Don'tSpoilHalo4Don'tSpoilHalo4Don'tSpoilHalo4.)

Gamespot: "So, Frank, how difficult was it to pull together a game that involved multiple outside developers, such as Certain Affinity and Sabre Interactive?"

*Gold Elite slices Frank's spartan in half right before the next checkpoint*

"F**K YOU, YOU SPLIT-MOUTHED BASTARD! Sorry, what was the question?"
11acvfo.jpg

His only true reaction.

Really excited about having a Halo 2 Xbox night. I'd be happy to host it, on either XBC or Xlink Kai, I'll be running an original Xbox on my FiOS 25 mbps down/up (Washington, DC Metropolitan Area).

Top Bottom