• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

I just don't like what advertising has become now. Think about how little mystery there would be if the original Halo was released now. We'd know all about the Flood before we should have, and there would be tons of spoilery shit online about the whole story, months before the game was released. That's the kind of thing I don't appreciate on any level. Just give me one or two quality trailers that hint at the story for the game and some promo art and be done with it. Any multiplayer beta that we get should be enough to tell us what to expect for combat, so please let me enjoy all facets of singleplayer without having to resort to an internet blackout.

The best example of this getting ridiculous in recent memory is how basically all the villains were revealed in Arkham City leading up to its release, even those that should have been a surprise(
like solomon grundy
)

it is 100% legit, she the Xbox manager in Spain.

Not for long, amiright?

I realise that not many people have tablets yet, but using atlas on a tablet side by side a tv is going to be a hell of an advantage.

Also make my life easier, as I'm the one that usually times the power weapons in matchmaking.

wwm0nkey

If it's any consolation, companies tend not to sit on these for long; they're made to order to tight marketing schedules. So I imagine if this trailer exists we'll see it soon.

Still weird that we now know there is a trailer but they are skipping the VGAs unless Frankie is just trying to keep our hopes down so when we see it we will crap ourselves.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Still weird that we now know there is a trailer but they are skipping the VGAs unless Frankie is just trying to keep our hopes down so when we see it we will crap ourselves.
There is no trailer. Yes we do produce internal videos for review purposes (it's a common practice), but they're not nearly polished enough for public consumption. Not exactly sure what this person is referring to on their twitter account.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ellis, no! =/

Bulletin said:
P.S. Did you know Friday, December 9 is the 343rd day of the year? Semi-related, we may have a few small surprises planned for that day. And that’s all I’m saying about that. Until tomorrow, anyway….

Halo 4 trailer
not
coming tomorrow, believe! =/

FyreWulff

I was like, how is ATLAS going to work in Firefight for location data, since it only networks button presses.

Firefight maps don’t support near-real-time data in this release, but you can still check the weapon, vehicle and health map locations for those maps.

I guess that answers that

Okay, I've been working on this for a few weeks. I was hoping to get some kind of feedback or approval but nobody ever answered my PMs and I'm impatient.

Here you go:

The post I made on the front page should explain what the site is and (more importantly) what it isn't.

How to get editing access:
- Create a WordPress account if you don't already have one.
- Send me a PM on NeoGAF with your account name and why you want access (e.g. "I want to add my folder of GAF pics to the gallery.", "I want to post custom game events.", etc.)

Everyone might not get full editing control, but at the very least you'll be given enough access to contribute.

The site art isn't too ambitious, I'm fine with the clean look but I'd be happy to change it if our resident artists (Devo, Letters, Ken, etc.) come up with something new.

If there is widespread disapproval of this project (or if the mods want it gone) I can always change things or delete it entirely. Tried my best to get approval beforehand though.

A few ideas:
Devo is welcome to keep the gamertag list updated if she wants, since she did the initial work on that.
Dani can make a sticky post on the front page with the date/time of the next GAF customs.
Tashi can try hiding links to his stream on random pages, until I delete them.
Plywood can keep the GIF gallery well stocked.

...and so on. Enjoy.

Very cool. We could have a page with links to GAF gametypes.

Actually it would be cool to compile all of the concept art from various places that have been posted in these threads in one spot.

wwm0nkey

There is no trailer. Yes we do produce internal videos for review purposes (it's a common practice), but they're not nearly polished enough for public consumption. Not exactly sure what this person is referring to on their twitter account.

Dreams have been crushed yet again :(

Someone post that Dreamcrusher medal.

Shot down in flames.

There is no Halo 4.

Edit: Trailer, I mean.

There is no Halo 4 trailer.

Hehe.

I got a grim sense of satisfaction from this.
Thanks for the clarification David.

You aren't alone and it usually does for me. Not showing up on the site at all for me.
Still getting this error:
uIdJu.png

I'll download the Halo Waypoint app when I get my Iphone 4 that was my sister's. Still!

Also, the tease about tomorrow. Let it be tomorrow now please!

I'm curious what bandwidth considerations using atlas will have on the actual MP:

We basically have a volume knob. So, if you’re playing Reach and accessing ATLAS, the knob gets cranked up and your console starts sending more information to the cloud and at a higher frequency. I like to think about it like there’s a GPS in the game, and we’re relaying the information to your device.

There is hope.I believe Halo 4's marketing effort will be done with gusto, and MS ninja lawyers will be called in if necessary.
But pressure from media outlets to get info to sell their ads and possible leaks makes it preferable to orchestrate your reveals that keep everything shrouded and have Banned Site post all spoilers on page 1 of their site.

TV ads won't need to spill too much beans. After all once you shown you are a modified one man army shooting aliens and robots in space, you've pretty much said what has to be known. But yeah beware game sites, they'll spill everything they can although I suspect 343i will keep an eye on that.
I can barely even read GAF when the spoilers start coming in, although I was intrigued by Tom Morello's leak. It'll probably be the last time I knowingly read spoilers, though.

The best example of this getting ridiculous in recent memory is how basically all the villains were revealed in Arkham City leading up to its release, even those that should have been a surprise(
like solomon grundy
)
I should get a fucking award for not looking at that spoiler even as I type this (I should be getting Arkham City for Christmas. ;-) )

ATLAS sounds awesome, but not sure how much I'll be using it in-game. Still, I guess I'll be purchasing it Saturday. Also looking forward to whatever reveal comes tomorrow.

Halo 4 will be at the VGAs. It's nominated for the Most Wanted Of 2012. Why not showing it in the Trailers?

Edit.: Yep. What m0nkey said.
It's not that they're showing it, it's the way they're showing it. It implies something is happening when there isn't anything happening.
Pretty sure that is Spike, not 343 doing that.
Yeah, I figured. Wondering why they do it in such a secretive way. Announcing the winner beforehand?

wwm0nkey

Holy crap the people on the Waypoint forums just wont believe that there wont be a VGA trailer. Even after Davids response they are still saying there will be a VGA trailer :/

Yay, Atlas and Waypoint for Android! I am actually really happy about that, even if my phone is a laggy glitchy mess with virtually no battery juice.

Android support for ATLAS: woo!
Secret official and yet not public Halo 4 trailer: boo!

Where did this talk about a trailer come from? I know its already been shot down, im just lost.

And yes, the lack of Halo 4 is sad.. And a little weird.. I was hoping they would get the hype train going and start building a good advertising campaign for this game.

wwm0nkey

Yay, Atlas and Waypoint for Android! I am actually really happy about that, even if my phone is a laggy glitchy mess with virtually no battery juice.

Where did this talk about a trailer come from? I know its already been shot down, im just lost.

And yes, the lack of Halo 4 is sad.. And a little weird.. I was hoping they would get the hype train going and start building a good advertising campaign for this game.

Spanish Xbox manager posted on twitter that she saw a Halo 4 trailer. We now know it was an unpolished trailer that was not for public consumption.

Its actually okay to show us these, we really really really dont care about the polish, hell we aint even public just think of us as 343i 2.0 you can share with us.

Lyberty Morello Believe!

Top Bottom