• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

watership

Kibbles said:
What's that from?

2rop3k2.png

Oh you bastard.

big ander

Being stuck with only Gimp 2.0 is not good.
Vergil doesn't like being usurped.
oonskvergil.gif

Carter has a friend
carteroonsk.jpg

Letters and Flipyap, you are amazing

Arnie

Oh shit. That new mascot is awesome. Need to know what OONSK is.

Just realised I worte phallic as fallic two pages back. *cheeks blush

Arnie said:
Each to their own, I personally don't know why she has to look completely different to every other Spartan, just because she's a woman. It's is an over-feminised character model, the same way you think Skully is over the top.

Still doesn't negate the fact Jorge is the shit.

I think it isn't because she is female that she looks different than any other spartan. I theorize that she is more "robotic" than she seems.

Arnie said:
The art looks beautiful apart from Kat's design. Why does she look so blatantly feminised for a Spartan? In The Baby Sitter the audience had no idea the Spartan was a woman until she took her helmet off, which in my opinion, and how the fiction has previously described it is the correct way to portray a female Spartan. So to have Kat with her exaggerated gangly body clutching at the fallic pistol with both hands just looks ridiculous in my eyes.

Everything else looks gorgeous and of course that was only a minor gripe. Jorge could potentially be the coolest character in the entire Halo universe.

I actually think she an exception to the rule somehow. Bungie knows about what you are implying. So out some certain circumstance Kat looks the way she does because there is some reason behind it. I think she is the prototype for a Robotic type spartan that is fully AI controlled.

Arnie

Revelations said:
I actually think she an exception to the rule somehow. Bungie knows about what you are implying. So out some certain circumstance Kat looks the way she does because there is some reason behind it. I think she is the prototype for a Robotic type spartan that is fully AI controlled.
Yes if it turns out Bungie have a very good reason for the way Kat's design looks then I will accept it, but at the moment if she is just a Spartan who happens to look like that because she is a woman then I think it is rather silly. Of course this wouldn't actually affect my enjoyment of the game, just a minor gripe.

I was thinking about how the game would work, should it get revealed to feature class based multiplayer and came up with a few interesting ideas. Perhaps the classes could be balanced around specific gametypes. For example, in a capture the flag game, it would be wise for a team to have one Kat type character to capture and run the flag, one sniper character for map control, one Jorge character to support the flag runner with his Spartan 2 style shield and heavy turret weapon and say a LW style all round support BR player to sit between attack and defence. If balanced right I could see this as a way of freshening up the Halo multiplayer experience without losing it's core gameplay mechanics.

Blueblur1

Arnie said:
Yes if it turns out Bungie have a very good reason for the way Kat's design looks then I will accept it, but at the moment if she is just a Spartan who happens to look like that because she is a woman then I think it is rather silly. Of course this wouldn't actually affect my enjoyment of the game, just a minor gripe.

I was thinking about how the game would work, should it get revealed to feature class based multiplayer and came up with a few interesting ideas. Perhaps the classes could be balanced around specific gametypes. For example, in a capture the flag game, it would be wise for a team to have one Kat type character to capture and run the flag, one sniper character for map control, one Jorge character to support the flag runner with his Spartan 2 style shield and heavy turret weapon and say a LW style all round support BR player to sit between attack and defence. If balanced right I could see this as a way of freshening up the Halo multiplayer experience without losing it's core gameplay mechanics.
This exactly why I now feel that class-based multiplayer is not the way to go. Every match would play out in a similar fashion just because characters are suited for specific roles and Infid that to be very monotonous. It does work great for TF2 where Valve updates the game periodically with new toys and tweaks but I don't think it's appropriate for a game that might get 1 or 2 Title Updates and a handful of map packs (Bungie's incredibly predictable).

Just give me my classic Halo multiplayer one last time, Bungie. With some tweaks and sweet additions, too. That's all I'm asking for at this point.

feel

OuterWorldVoice
drunk, naked and uncooperative
(Today, 01:01 AM)
Reply | Quote
j82su1.jpg

:D

Weird seeing you with such an upbeat avatar.
This can only mean there's an even more disgusting pic of skin disease dude on the way.

edit- also, even if you're only using it for half a day, I will still need payment in the form of an early Halo reach beta token. ;)

Magni

Missed the OONSK train because of exams, but sill :lol :lol :lol

We need GI scans NOW! I went to see if the French February mags were out yet, but alas no. I remember in December 06, a Swedish mag got the info first, and then just a couple days later it was the French OXM :D

Magni

Gui_PT said:
Goddamn, I hate this time of year =\

33% down already :D And out of the upcoming four, I only need 3.5% in math and 18.5% in management to pass the class :lol And then a four-week worker intern, which means no homework, which means I get to spend
even more
time playing :D

Gui_PT

MagniHarvald said:
33% down already :D And out of the upcoming four, I only need 3.5% in math and 18.5% in management to pass the class :lol And then a four-week worker intern, which means no homework, which means I get to spend
even more
time playing :D

Sweet.

I just had the 1st this Wednesday. Problem is I need a minimum of 8 out of 20 in each exam, no matter how well I did along the semester =\

Arnie

Brainboy said:
Took me a while, too. OONSK = UNSC. :D
:D Thanks.
Blueblur1 said:
This exactly why I now feel that class-based multiplayer is not the way to go. Every match would play out in a similar fashion just because characters are suited for specific roles and Infid that to be very monotonous. It does work great for TF2 where Valve updates the game periodically with new toys and tweaks but I don't think it's appropriate for a game that might get 1 or 2 Title Updates and a handful of map packs (Bungie's incredibly predictable).

Just give me my classic Halo multiplayer one last time, Bungie. With some tweaks and sweet additions, too. That's all I'm asking for at this point.
Yes to be clear I myself would also like a modified version of the original Halo multiplayer, tweaked to perfection and increased awesomeness. This would also give Bungie more time to include additional features such as map editors, built in video editing software etc.

If it does turn out to be class based I will reserve my judgement until I get my hands on the game. Even if it is class based, that doesn't stop MLG or even Bungie releasing a Soldier on Soldier type playlist that feels identical to Halo as we know it now with BR starts etc. One of the classes could be your run of the mill Spartan 2.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
OuterWorldVoice
drunk, naked and uncooperative
(Today, 01:01 AM)
Reply | Quote
j82su1.jpg

:D

Weird seeing you with such an upbeat avatar.
This can only mean there's an even more disgusting pic of skin disease dude on the way.

edit- also, even if you're only using it for half a day, I will still need payment in the form of an early Halo reach beta token. ;)

I certainly owe you. Also, disgusting skin disease man is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Harkonnen

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh, Oonsk. :lol

I finally sit down to play Assassin's Creed II all the way through, and I miss out on so much.

Wha?

I mean, sure, it's possible, but nothing in the Halo universe has ever suggested cybernetics has been taken in that direction.

Now, replacing limbs and such, I can see, but what with the Rampancy issue with a Smart AI and the lack of intelligent thinking in a reg. AI, I can't quite see that happening.

Kibbles

Halo: Reach = Biggest Beta Ever

"Halo Reach is coming to you in the fall of 2010 exclusively on Xbox 360," said Microsoft's Robbie Bach at last night's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"And for fans who own Halo 3: ODST, you'll get a chance to experience Halo Reach with the multiplayer beta on Xbox Live this spring. This may very well be the largest beta ever in the gaming business."

Of course, quite in what capacity Bach is referring to isn't clear. Does Bach simply mean in terms of the amount of players that will have access to it, or the amount of content that will be available? We imagine the former.
That latter would be cool.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
I certainly owe you. Also, disgusting skin disease man is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Harkonnen
Consider me educated.

duk said:
somone pls make me an ooonsk avy, i will <3 thee 4ever!
Gave it a try, not sure if you'll like it, so I used a PM. Check your inbox.

Gui_PT said:
Ditto.

Btw, the code that comes with ODST for the Beta is like a flier with this image as background?
That's the flier, but there's no code. Every copy of odst gets access to the beta through an option that will appear on the Extras menu.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Gui_PT said:
Ditto.

Btw, the code that comes with ODST for the Beta is like a flier with this image as background?

You don't need a code. Just the disc. The beta will go live via the Extras menu.

And it'll be the biggest pound for pound demo evar.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
That's the flier, but there's no code. Every copy of odst gets access to the beta through an option that will appear on the Extras menu.

urk said:
You don't need a code. Just the disc. The beta will go live via the Extras menu.

And it'll be the biggest pound for pound demo evar.

Thank you.

Can't wait for the Beta. I want to test how camping works on this game the new weapons :D

OK guys I really want to get into this beta. But 2 problems. A)Don't have XBL. B)I'd have to buy a wireless adapter. Which comes to $150. Is it worth it?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kibbles said:
Wasn't GI supposed to update the cover on their site today? Also, nobody got it yet? rrraaggeee

Didn't Eazy link to the expanded image yesterday? The one with all of the seven Spartans on it?
Oonsk
202cover.jpg

Top Bottom