• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Season 2 extended until November 7

treemk

Banned
As i recall Bungie wanted Halo to end after Halo 3 they don't want to make Halo anymore but was force to make ODST & Reach thus
causing the split from Microsoft in the first place it was all downhill for Halo after Halo 3
cause it was suppose to end at 3 anyways it was going downhill even before 343 ever touch Halo
MS milks their IPs to death.

Halo on 360 should have ended with Halo 3.

Let Bungie make a killer Reach on One, then just one killer Halo exclusive per console generation. Let them make whatever they want in between and they could have kept that relationship intact, and Halo games would still be something to look forward to and buy a console for. Now it's just a bargain bin game pass bullet point.

the_master

It was supposed to be a live game full of new content, story extensions, secondary missions, 10 year plan...
They have built a game and an engine that do not support this, apparently. They made a game for a different set of goals.

I enjoyed the game but I have not had enough, my hopes of improving npcs and making epic battles (as game defining those where in the saga) and adding the flood in the campaign have faded. I lost hope. If they add something will be about the fucking dead spartans on the ring. And I do not care about that at all.

Such a shame. I should not be angry at this at my age, but I sure am, I have to say I would also rather have the ip given to another studio that can make it true to the essence and profitable.

Crew511A

Maybe it's not the issue, but at the very least it made most of the Bungie-era players abandon the franchise. Clamber and sprint greatly impacts map design and gameplay fluidity. The bungie games were very nuanced. Very different from most shooters out there.

I just want to point out that a lot of Halo players at the time were for load outs, and sprint to stay competitive with COD. It's been awhile, but didn't Halo 4 have supply drops in one of the game modes?

I'm no 343 fan at all, but a lot of the things they put in Halo were a direct result of fan feedback.

Let Bungie make a killer Reach on One, then just one killer Halo exclusive per console generation. Let them make whatever they want in between and they could have kept that relationship intact, and Halo games would still be something to look forward to and buy a console for. Now it's just a bargain bin game pass bullet point.
It's not just about milking their IPs to death but also the fact that they overvalue IPs over devs way too much.

They were confident that they could just create new studios to handle these IPs but it turns out it isn't easy to pull that off.

Now they are doing the same thing on a much larger scale with Activision Blizzard and to a lesser degree Bethesda, acquiring publisher that have very successful IPs but that were struggling with putting new successful games out for years now.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

343 should be shut down.

Made an absolute mess of every game they've ever made and managed to steal a defeat from the jaws of victory with Infinite.

Dutchy

I just want to point out that a lot of Halo players at the time were for load outs, and sprint to stay competitive with COD. It's been awhile, but didn't Halo 4 have supply drops in one of the game modes?

I'm no 343 fan at all, but a lot of the things they put in Halo were a direct result of fan feedback.
I don't think there was ever more than a negligible amount of players asking for any of the additions they put in after Halo 3. I think you're misremembering completely. Stuff like abilities, weapon drops, sprint, clamber etc. Came out of the blue completely. Probably 343i's attempty to appeal to a wider audience. Which backfired completely.

Just search on YouTube for the tons of video's made about clamber/sprint for example. It wouldn't be such a divisive argument if that was top priority feedback they've listened to.

FireFly

Xbox One only had Halo 5 and XSX may only have Infinite, so that would already be only one Halo game per generation. I mean we are talking about 6 years between Halo 5 and Infinite, which is a Half-Life 1 to 2 kind of gap.

People talk about Halo needing to go away, but we are still waiting for Infinite's campaign to conclude, still waiting for a large scale multiplayer mode. So it's not that there is "too much" Halo, but rather *not enough* produced in a reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
Xbox One only had Halo 5 and XSX may only have Infinite, so that would already be only one Halo game per generation. I mean we are talking about 6 years between Halo 5 and Infinite, which is a Half-Life 1 to 2 kind of gap.

People talk about Halo needing to go away, but we are still waiting for Infinite's campaign to conclude, still waiting for a large scale multiplayer mode. So it's not that there is "too much" Halo, but rather *not enough* produced in a reasonable timeframe.

Yeah because 343s output is ass. Bungie made two Halo games on xbox then 3 on the 360, plus other halo tiltes from other studios then yet another by 343 with halo 4 on 360. By that time the IP was a shadow of what it was when halo 3 released.

FireFly

Yeah because 343s output is ass. Bungie made two Halo games on xbox then 3 on the 360, plus other halo tiltes from other studios then yet another by 343 with halo 4 on 360. By that time the IP was a shadow of what it was when halo 3 released.
Exactly. It's not an issue with MS milking the franchise but the opposite. They're giving 343 all the rope they need to hang themselves.

Havoc2049

Halo 4 had Infinity Slayer and Big Team Infinity Slayer, where you had weapon load outs, Spartan Abilities and you would get ordanace drops in the game. Ordanace drop pods have always been in Halo single player and were first introduced in multiplayer in Halo 3 ODST Firefight. Halo 4 introduced them into Slayer. For people who wanted a more traditional Slayer, Halo 4 also had Slayer Pro.

Halo 4 had Infinity Slayer and Big Team Infinity Slayer, where you had weapon load outs, Spartan Abilities and you would get ordanace drops in the game. Ordanace drop pods have always been in Halo single player and were first introduced in multiplayer in Halo 3 ODST Firefight. Halo 4 introduced them into Slayer. For people who wanted a more traditional Slayer, Halo 4 also had Slayer Pro.
Sadly Halo 4 was pretty solid about 6-12 months after launch but the RNG drop pods, abilities and CODified game elements turned everyone away. After that all the Forge maps in the world made it feel like a OG Xbox era game e.g. BTB etc. The core of the Halo 4 sandbox was pretty solid when it was reduced, no one was left to play it.

sainraja

Maybe it's not the issue, but at the very least it made most of the Bungie-era players abandon the franchise. Clamber and sprint greatly impacts map design and gameplay fluidity. The bungie games were very nuanced. Very different from most shooters out there.
Halo still needs to adapt/modernize. There is nothing wrong with implementing new things into the gameplay (IMO); if properly done. Isn't Infinite pretty close to classic Halo outside of clamber/sprint? Sprinting in Infinite from a post here highlighted is just 'artificial', you're not really running any faster than just walking — if that is true, I think they need to put in a proper sprint but anyway I don't think Halo is or would be hurt that much by that if done properly.

Dutchy

Halo still needs to adapt/modernize. There is nothing wrong with implementing new things into the gameplay (IMO); if properly done. Isn't Infinite pretty close to classic Halo outside of clamber/sprint? Sprinting in Infinite from a post here highlighted is just 'artificial', you're not really running any faster than just walking — if that is true, I think they need to put in a proper sprint but anyway I don't think Halo is or would be hurt that much by that if done properly.
There is no such thing as classic Halo with clamber/sprint. Like I mentioned in my previous post: It greatly impacts map design and gameplay fluidity. It makes for a completely different experience.

How can you say that Halo isn't or would not be hurt by these features when MCC (specifically CE - 2 - 3) is passing Infinite in player numbers. And all of the sprint/ability focused titles have not been able to retain player numbers the way that bungie did. ''Adapting and modernizing'' is exactly what killed this franchise. And the thousands of people that are enjoying the decade+ old games today are proof of that.

sainraja

There is no such thing as classic Halo with clamber/sprint. Like I mentioned in my previous post: It greatly impacts map design and gameplay fluidity. It makes for a completely different experience.

How can you say that Halo isn't or would not be hurt by these features when MCC (specifically CE - 2 - 3) is passing Infinite in player numbers. And all of the sprint/ability focused titles have not been able to retain player numbers the way that bungie did. ''Adapting and modernizing'' is exactly what killed this franchise. And the thousands of people that are enjoying the decade+ old games today are proof of that.
Well, I don't see how that is going to be a negative impact if implemented properly. I think we might just have to agree to disagree on this.

Drewpee

Banned
Ho Lee Fuk I’m dead 💀

HaloInfinite-2022Roadmap-April.jpg

Season 2, slated as the first 3 month season, has now been extended until November.

343 need taking out back.
At this point it feels like they are sabotaging the franchise. Must be trying to chase away all the pissed off diehards.

sainraja

Fair enough.

Though if you're curious I'd check out this:

I think agree to disagree is best. I watched the video and I can't agree with him. I see what he is saying but to me it just seems like making a big deal out of nothing — sure it changes the gameplay of Halo but I think that is fine. Spartans shouldn't be able to grab on ledges to prevent a fall? (Just highlighting how silly it seems to me but I know the way it is implemented is friendlier than hanging on to a ledge and pressing something to complete the climb). Falling off and locking into clamber animation both prevents a player from going into combat immediately so to me it's not as big of an issue. If you fall, you can probably go into combat a little quicker but anyway; IMO I don't think it hurts to have it.

Last edited:

Dutchy

I think agree to disagree is best. I watched the video and I can't agree with him. I see what he is saying but to me it just seems like making a big deal out of nothing — sure it changes the gameplay of Halo but I think that is fine. Spartans shouldn't be able to grab on ledges to prevent a fall? (Just highlighting how silly it seems to me but I know the way it is implemented is friendlier than hanging on to a ledge and pressing something to complete the climb). Falling off and locking into clamber animation both prevents a player from going into combat immediately so to me it's not as big of an issue. If you fall, you can probably go into combat a little quicker but anyway; IMO I don't think it hurts to have it.
Player numbers disagree with you unfortunately :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Vade

From the outside looking in it seems that 343 just wants to chase trends and do it with fortnite character master chief. I just wish they would pick a direction and stay in it. Either go full zoomer mode and make a battle royal sprint ADHD cocaine shooter with micro transactions or make a boomer classic boots on ground higher kill time shooter. Also maybe not have all these 18 month contracts which turns development time into a shit show.

sainraja

Player numbers disagree with you unfortunately :messenger_downcast_sweat:
Maybe....but what games are those players playing instead that make up that number? Not all of them are playing MCC.
Sure, there is a dedicated Halo group that will just go back to MCC but we also have other healthier MP games competing for our time. Anyway, I can understanding wanting things to remain the same but I don't see a problem in changing things up.

Arsic

Gold Member
How is anyone surprised ? Their track record is dog shit. Their games are ho hum. Modern day AAA devs always release half baked products. So of course they launched an alpha version of content and made some $ to justify still needing to work on it so big daddy Microsoft wouldn’t make heads roll.

Probably crying himself to sleep every night. Having to manage a dysfunctional studio likely with a revolving door of contractors coming in and contractors going out is not fun. At some point Good Guy Phil needs to take responsibility (he was their direct boss when he was GM of Xbox Game Studios and he has even more say now than he did then).
I highly doubt he's crying, he's being paid a lot of money to try and get this game where it needs to be. He shipped a good game, but the content is not coming as fast as first thought. What they have planned for November looks very interesting and I'm willing to give them until then to turn this into something great. I remember all the crap SOT had at launch and beyond but look at that now, it's doing great.

Nydius

He shipped a good game
I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree. The shooting is probably the best of the 343 Halo games but the story expects the player to have played (or at least read about) Halo Wars 2 to understand the jump between the end of H5 and Infinite and feels unfinished. The open world is bolted on bloat that has no appreciable impact on the story itself, the unlockables and the collectibles gained through valor and the HVT hunts are useless in the final third of the game when it's completely linear and there are no FOBs available to pick up all the nifty weapons you've unlocked.

Killing the HVTs, destroying all the radio towers, finding all the artifacts -- none of this has any effect on the plot. For example, when Escharum goes into his monologue about how there will always be someone to take up the mantled of the Banished, having killed all the HVTs should have changed some dialog. Destroying the radio towers should have reduced force readiness of the Banished forces or made enemies easier due to the 'lack of morale', or some such. The linear sections are largely just the same copy/paste Forerunner hallways with very little deviation except for the final level.

At least grappleshot traversal was nifty.

And multiplayer, well... hard for me to say it's a good game when desync is a problem, content is barebones, and a lot of the maps are just the same three lane design with the same vertical layouts only with different decor.

It's a passable game but both the campaign story and the multiplayer is utterly forgettable. No "wow, holy shit" moments that will last with me like Halo 1 through Reach, and even H4.

At this pace they'll be done with the "10 year roadmap" before they have as many maps as a typical Halo game pre-5. It's honestly kind of pathetic. The campaign was great and the multiplayer has really good gameplay, but it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is when you can't avoid repeat maps unless you play 2-3 matches and then stop. I mean Halo 5 had basically no maps at launch and yet somehow had significantly more maps than Infinite will have 12 months post release. There are clearly massive issues at 343, and while Halo was never going to maintain the level of cultural relevance it had during 2/3, 343 have managed to turn it from one of my favorite series into one that I've basically stopped playing after a month, and have no plans to return until they actually add acceptable levels of content, which probably won't be until the next one comes out

TrebleShot

I am astonished at this studio it’s backed by one of the biggest cash rich companies in the world and it still is incompetent , lack of urgency is my feeling.

They’ve gone too far down the “safe and happy” route and eliminated any sense of urgency and thus their product is DOA.

GAAS is only viable with content. What a mess

Bragr

Banned
What the actual fuck have they been doing for 6 months? Like, what have the people who design maps been doing? Honestly! This is ridiculous.
Most of the team is working on the battle royale. Thats what they are gonna focus on for the next few years, they want their own Apex Legends on game pass.

Dutchy

Maybe....but what games are those players playing instead that make up that number? Not all of them are playing MCC.
Sure, there is a dedicated Halo group that will just go back to MCC but we also have other healthier MP games competing for our time. Anyway, I can understanding wanting things to remain the same but I don't see a problem in changing things up.

Are you seeing the numbers that OW 2 is racking up right now? A game that is pretty much a glorified update, and in beta mode at that. There are plenty of ways to innovate without having to shake up the core formula completely. CS is another good example.

343i's games are always drifting in limbo. Failing to capture and build upon a core identity without pumping out soft-reboot after soft-reboot.

There are many things wrong with Infinite beyond the ability to climb onto ledges.

Unfortunately. But no amount of technical fixes and content is going to save your game if it's doo-doo. Clamber and sprint actively contributing to bad maps. People are still praising pit from Halo 3 but you won't ever hear anyone talk about Halo 4's remake. Or any other 343i map for that matter.

ZehDon

Most of the team is working on the battle royale. Thats what they are gonna focus on for the next few years, they want their own Apex Legends on game pass.
Certain Affinity is handling the BR mode. This was to allow 343i to focus on Infinite's Campaign and F2P multiplayer release.

I fucking hope this true. It's what I wanted all along.

Honestly Infinite would have been far better with Destiny style game. Slick interface, shared spaces, world events, multiplayer on smaller focus dev teams, PvE teams for content and story as well as fireteams and progression/customisation/MTX throughout. What a colossal fuck up by 343 management to not have that launching or where Infinite should have been launch, 1 year post launch. Given the current development and roadmap the only thing I have interest in is Certain Affinity's take on Battle Royale. Outside of that I have zero interest in the campaign story, zero interest in arena/esports McDonalds Halo and zero interest in the chaos and clusterfuck of maybe my party works and maybe we get an Aussie server 1 in 10 games.

The PvE model with some light matchmaking and your own Spartan Companies/fireteam friends local to you and giving you great networking for games together would have propelled and sustained Halo Infinite well beyond the bullshit that got packaged as this game release and the first year of support.

Fingers cross Max and his team come through again over at CA. I have far more confidence in them over 343. I truly hope they leave the decision making in terms of dev, map design, mechanics and all that up to Max. The 343 heads that built Infinite have made modes and campaigns and systems I have no interest in revisiting anymore.

This is so frustrating because I actually love the game, it’s biggest issue was content

Both in campaign and multiplayer. Campaign needed more set pieces and diversity in mission structure and location. Multiplayer needed more game modes and better content pipeline

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mmmmmh

Thinking Reaction GIF

The sound at the start kinda reminds me of the sound in Crackdown when you get an orb.
Odd.

Last edited:
The MCC is in AMAZING shape right now. It was atrocious on launch, but it's in amazing shape right now. It regularly goes on sale and for like $20 or so, hell I payed full price on launch and am fine thinking back because it's a great time now and exactly what a Halo fan would like. Even if only to play the original trilogy as co-op, buddy games, well worth the price of admission. They even added a new Flood Firefight co-op mode and it's really awesome.
Dude ...you can't even play Halo 1 and Halo 2 campaigns on Xb1x unless you're ready to deal with the WORST stuttering you've ever seen in a game. I wouldn't call that being in great shape even if the game ran perfectly on all other platforms. This is the problem with 343 AND Microsoft when it comes to Halo and when it comes to their management.

They have the 2 seminal Halo games completely broken for an entire subset of Xbox owners and they can't fix it for them? Keep in mind these campaigns used to work well but a year and a half ago the stuttering started when Reach was added. Instead of making fixing their mistake a priority they just completely ignore it! It's a serious lack of respect for their own customers but also Halo.

My point is ...there's something fundamentally wrong with 343 and MS and at least how it relates to the Halo franchise. It's THIS same type of non-caring arrogant attitude that gets them in these situations, such as where we are right now with infinite. How do you have so much development time and know you're releasing a live service and be so unprepared and far behind?

Even things like the games graphical woes are related. It doesn't look that great for a Series X Halo game. That's after an entire extra year to fix the visuals. What happened to the Ray Tracing it was supposed to have? The thing I'm most disappointed in is the environment only having 1 biome which is extremely disappointing for a series that has always had many interesting environments in every game.

I don't expect to get any kind of single player expansion with a new interesting environment to explore for years now.

IDK bro you sound pretty mess up when you link broken/incomplete games with getting away with murder
just read your post again and tell me if that sound relax or not lmao
Are you a troll? This is a videogame forum so why even mention "it's just videogames man". Then you completely take his response to your first question out of context. You are just being a nudge because you didn't like his opinion.

Are you a troll? This is a videogame forum so why even mention "it's just videogames man". Then you completely take his response to your first question out of context. You are just being a nudge because you didn't like his opinion.
Old news man why even reply to such a old convo i had with another guy lol
Nah im not a troll i been on here a long time done a lot of post i ain't a fucking troll wtf is with the troll card lame

Last edited:

sainraja

Are you seeing the numbers that OW 2 is racking up right now? A game that is pretty much a glorified update, and in beta mode at that. There are plenty of ways to innovate without having to shake up the core formula completely. CS is another good example.
I mean, sure, I guess. All I am saying is I don't mind things being changed up a little bit. Clamber is not an issue for me....that's just a silly thing to complain about IMO. As for Overwatch, each character has different capabilities in that game so that is what it has to offer players and there are things I feel they could also improve in Overwatch but they do have sprinting in it, it is just tied to a character which I find silly but that's another discussion.

343i's games are always drifting in limbo. Failing to capture and build upon a core identity without pumping out soft-reboot after soft-reboot.
I am not huge into Halo so that could be why I don't share your opinion — I use to play Halo 2 when I use to go over to my friends place but I also wasn't into FPS games at that time. Anyhow, what's wrong with Infinite right now isn't just the new stuff.....that's probably lower on the list.

Dutchy

I mean, sure, I guess. All I am saying is I don't mind things being changed up a little bit. Clamber is not an issue for me....that's just a silly thing to complain about IMO. As for Overwatch, each character has different capabilities in that game so that is what it has to offer players and there are things I feel they could also improve in Overwatch but they do have sprinting in it, it is just tied to a character which I find silly but that's another discussion.

I am not huge into Halo so that could be why I don't share your opinion — I use to play Halo 2 when I use to go over to my friends place but I also wasn't into FPS games at that time. Anyhow, what's wrong with Infinite right now isn't just the new stuff.....that's probably lower on the list.
Not being huge into Halo and not thinking clamber is a big deal go hand in hand really well.

This is never going to happen. Not with thos pos developer. Maybe 4 years from now
Ah, that's kind of sad. I was hoping that "Endless" trademark meant some campaign expansion was coming soon-ish. Anyway, it's kind of understandable, even if disappointing; post-launch support for Halo games has always been in the form of multiplayer content/features, never campaign. I was hoping this game would have been the exception, but we're almost at the five-month mark and still no news for new campaign content. Maybe later this year after they sort out the multiplayer stuff?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Can't wait getting out BR'd by ChocolateCake6524. Trades that dont happen etc. Still I come back; suchs gluten for bullshit =p

It's not that they milk them but more they don't handle them right. There was a long break between halo 5 and infinite but the problem is infinite is underwhelming. You need to come back with a bang. With a world class game. That's how sony and Nintendo not only keep their ip relevant, but also keep them growing. It's about the quality of the game. Imagine if Halo infinite actually looked like it's initial trailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom