• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault out Dec 24th on Xbox One ($15), 360 in January

Chitown B

$4.99 is basically the price of the game on Windows Phone AND Windows 8, what the hell. Hey Microsoft... You have a universal account system, use it, I already bought Spartan Assault TWICE, on Windows Phone 8 ($7.99) and Windows 8 (another $7.99). Do I really need to pay another $4.99? Ugh... Sad thing is I'll pay the $4.99 anyways, just because I want the game... I would have actually paid the $14.99 as well... Was bracing myself for $19.99 actually.

The prices for Xbox Live games on Xbox One are insane.

uh, did you have to buy Peggle more than once if you wanted it on other devices? Angry Birds? I don't understand your problem.

So, the only justification for the price hike is the switch to consoles? That's...pretty ridiculous. I'll wait for the eventual Games With Gold deal.

yatesl

I've been considering it for ages on Windows 8. Went ahead and bought it just now, though - Effectively for free, as I'll get the Xbox One version too.

Vee_One

Excited for this, good to see some more releases coming out for the bone. Between this and Peggle 2 December is looking good.

Spades

Can't wait for this! Good price point and good to see they're recognising those who bought the mobile version of the game with a big reduction.

Ataxia

It has provided hours of fun to me. Now it will add more missions and co-op. I don't know what else it can do to justify its price.

Hours of fun? Seriously? :lol

Most people I know got bored of it within an hour or two. Those micro-transactions don't help, I guess.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you already have it for win8 or Win8 phone make sure you log into xbl with a valid profile by Dec 15th to take advantage of the discount.

If you already have it for win8 or Win8 phone make sure you log into xbl with a valid profile by Dec 15th to take advantage of the discount.

Question: Does the profile have to have ownership to receive the discount? Case in point: multiple MS accounts on Win8. Account A purchases the game, but if account B signs in with A's MS act in the Windows Store, B can then play the game/app on Live. Is B then able to receive the discount or can only A get it?

Hopefully that makes sense.

abracadaver

How does the deal work exactly ?

I dont have windows 8. Can I just go to the win8 store and buy the game and on the 24th the X1 version will show as 4,99 for me or do I have to play win8 version for the deal to register ?

Previews are out

OXMUK

Highlights (more at the link about controls etc)

• 5 two player online co-op missions featuring the flood
  • In co-op you choose 1 of 2 primary weapon load outs, and a selection of armour (e.g. healing energy drone) and booster abilities (e.g. active reload) and fight against 5 variations of flood
  • They might add more co-op maps later
  • Considering a map editor (which would be cool)
  • No microtransactions to buy weapons, they were changed in the W8 version in August, you can still buy in-game currency though if you really want
  • No split screen co-op
  • £12 price for UK confirmed too

IGN (2 minute video)
Polygon

Woorloog

Banned
Previews are out

OXMUK

Highlights (more at the link about controls etc)

• 5 two player online co-op missions featuring the flood
  • In co-op you choose 1 of 2 primary weapon load outs, and a selection of armour (e.g. healing energy drone) and booster abilities (e.g. active reload) and fight against 5 variations of flood
  • They might add more co-op maps later
  • Considering a map editor (which would be cool)
  • No microtransactions to buy weapons, they were changed in the W8 version in August, you can still buy in-game currency though if you really want
  • No split screen co-op
  • £12 price for UK confirmed too

IGN (2 minute video)
Polygon

No same console-multiplayer at all then?
No buy.

Woorloog

Banned
By the sounds of it no. Worth noting the campaign doesn't have any co-op.
A shame. The game looked like it would've been a perfect fit for same console gaming.
Ah, well, at least i'll save some money.
And i really hope we get Halo 5 news before i get PS4, because i'd like to keep playing Halos but only if they will continue supporting split-screen (campaign and MP both). If they do keep that, i might be more inclined to get Xbone despite its and MS's shortcomings.

If I buy on my laptop can I also play on my PC? (not at the same time). Also, the upgrade to Xbox One, can I assume I need to buy for both 360/One? Do I get the it discounted on both systems?

$4.99 is basically the price of the game on Windows Phone AND Windows 8, what the hell. Hey Microsoft... You have a universal account system, use it, I already bought Spartan Assault TWICE, on Windows Phone 8 ($7.99) and Windows 8 (another $7.99). Do I really need to pay another $4.99? Ugh... Sad thing is I'll pay the $4.99 anyways, just because I want the game... I would have actually paid the $14.99 as well... Was bracing myself for $19.99 actually.

Looks like you answered your own question. ;)

So, the only justification for the price hike is the switch to consoles? That's...pretty ridiculous. I'll wait for the eventual Games With Gold deal.

haha, oh shit

based on what we've seen of GWG, you're gonna be waiting 4-5 years.

Xbudz

wghQ8RB.jpg

It came out a day early.
I got it for $5, but this should have been Halo 2 Anniversary.

JMizzlin

It's only single player primary campaign? Disappointing.

e: wow, $19.99 AUD is a lot more intimidating than 1200 MS Points.

So it looks like the game pulls your save data from the Win8 version? The couple missions I had played there are listed as completed on the Xbox One.

Just bought it for £3.99 since I'd previously bought the WP8 version. Will try it out later tonight.

So it's cheaper to buy it on WP8 and then XB1?

It's currently £5.49 on the WP8 store and with the upgrade only being £3.99, you save £2.50. Not a huge saving, but still worth considering...

statham

So it looks like the game pulls your save data from the Win8 version? The couple missions I had played there are listed as completed on the Xbox One.

It begins. Win8 ecosystem.

So it's cheaper to buy it on WP8 and then XB1?

It's currently £5.49 on the WP8 store and with the upgrade only being £3.99, you save £2.50. Not a huge saving, but still worth considering...
you had to buy it and launch it before the 15th on win8 devices to get the discount.

nbraun80

Post some impressions please.

I dont know if I should buy this

I'm liking it so far. Didnt get around to playing it on win8, but with the twin stick setup I can tell its going to be better than if I tried on my tablet. I just beat the first of six operations of 5 missions each, took me about 45 min. Took me a little longer because I tried replaying some to get a gold star, still only finished with 3 gold and 2 silver. I'm guessing the next chapters will be a bit longer than the intro chapter so I'd say it'll probably take 6-7 hours to beat the game, 10-12 to get all gold. Plus 5 online flood missions I haven't tried yet.

So I'd say if you like the universe and the idea of a mission based twin-stick arcade shooter, get it :)

Caayn

wait, so why is it way more expensive and not cross buy? New features/missions?
There's a new co-op mode which features 5 new maps a new weapon, AA and boosters. I agree though that this shouldn't drive the price up considering it has launched 6 months ago on a different platform. But they at least give existing owners of the game a $10 discount on the Xbox One version.

wait, so why is it way more expensive and not cross buy? New features/missions?

MS has never done cross buy, this shouldn't be surprising. They need to get with the times...

But in this case, they added a decent amount of new features not present in the other versions, so cross buy might not make as much sense...$5 seems like a decent enough price point considering the added content.

edit: Just bought it via my phone for $5. I left my console on this morning before leaving for work, so it should be ready to go by the time I get home :)

MS has never done cross buy, this shouldn't be surprising. They need to get with the times...

But in this case, they added a decent amount of new features not present in the other versions, so cross buy might not make as much sense...$5 seems like a decent enough price point considering the added content.

weird... skulls of the shogun wasn't for win8 phone win8 360? thats wack.

its at least universal on ios >.>"

Nori Chan

Kinda off topic but I'm pretty sure Microsoft said you can buy games through smart glass. I tried to do it with this game but when I searched for it it didn't give me an option to buy.

Top Bottom